Social What were you doing 10 years ago?

I was right here, posting on smogon dot com

I was also in high school, bored out of my mind and mostly playing video games with my mates to pass the time. Really got into Pokemon a year beforehand and started messing around with competitive on pokemon showdown and pokemon black & white in the summer of 2013. On October 29th, 2013, I signed up to smogon to post the first time I made that I was somewhat proud of and actually managed to win some battles with. ( https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-5-ou-team.3493187/ for anyone interested). Noone replied to the thread and I didn't look at smogon again for the months after that. It wasn't until someone necrobumped the thread that I actually came back and got somewhat active here. Pretty funny to think that I wouldn't have had more than 1 or 2 posts here if it wasn't for that guy. I believe I also joined the same day the 200.000th smogon member joined.

Anyway, lifes better now. I'm finishing up uni and mainly like to mess around with old cars, doing roadtrips and going crate digging for obscure records. Really wouldn't wanna go back to my high school life of being eternally online.

So, what were you doing 10 years ago? And how has your life changed since?

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor
10 years ago around this time almost 2 months into secondary school, playing on rotation Pokemon X, Pokemon Soulsilver and Pokemon BW/BW2. The Wii U was my main console until I got the PS3 in Christmas 2013. Super Mario 3D World was a game I thought no one appreciated because nobody had a wii u.

Maybe if I was 31 rn instead of 21, I'd have a lot more to say but 11 to 21 is literally 50% of my life so yeah a whole lot has happened.

I was moderating Serebii's competitive forums and writing his Pokémon of the week (most of gen 5 and early gen 6). Also working in the deli at a grocery store, eating misshapen meat and cheese cuts in the back room like some sort of hideous rat girl because 9 dollars an hour isn't a livable wage.

Those were some dark times.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Ten years ago, I was enjoying a number of Wii and 3DS games at the time, most notably my introduction to the Mario Galaxy games happening in 2013. Supposedly. There’s no way I’m believing that. Other game series I enjoyed a lot at the time were Pokémon and (if anyone actually remembers this) Skylanders, with a number of other games that weren’t part of a series also popping up around that time.

Education wise, I was in the sixth grade, and I can’t remember anything too significant that would have happened that year. Most of anything worth remembering wouldn’t have happened until the following year or two.

I would have been 1 month into my sophomore year of college which involved watching a lot of anime and listening to new music. I think Magi came out in 2013 which is one of my GOATs and HxH was still airing which was and is THE GOAT. Monogatari S2 also aired which I pretended to like but in reality that whole series is pretentious dogshit. Deafhaven released an album titled SUNBATHER which got me back into metal and is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Kanye, Vampire Weekend, The National and James Blake all released great albums too so ultimately it was a good year for music. I started seeing my first ever friends with benefits and think I lost my virginity shortly after but that might have been 2014, I don't remember. Also XY came out and I was enjoying Pokemon more than ever. I would bring my 3DS with me to campus daily and get excited because I enjoyed the street pass game where you collected puzzle pieces. I remember nobody ever having the pieces I needed which was lame. I might have been a Firemod on the forums at this point too? Can't remember for sure. 2013 was also home of the Snowden leaks which defined a good chunk of my political views and led me on a career path in tech. Pretty good year all around.

this time in 2013? The girl I been with since 2011 had our first breakup a few months prior, grandpa passed, then attended a friends wedding (Which hurt cus me and the aforementioned then-ex were engaged prior as well despite us still being "Too young" in our fams eyes). [ill admit 2013 wasnt the best year esp family loss wise]
Wasn't all bad though got to get cool with a couple rappers I really enjoyed by getting to know them through GTAV playing with em and tryna get all the old glitch cars that werent in online lol; and on top of that my friend group started reconnecting off that after seeing each other at the wedding - that helped me not feel so bad. After school and people families stuff kinda made us all have to have to kinda handle things.

2013 was a low point for me too, I think. I was either homeless or about to become homeless for a few months right around now 10 years ago. I was luckily able to get a bed in a shelter for the winter or I probably wouldn't be here making this post. This was also around the time when my grandmother began to really show signs of the dementia that would eventually kill her. Oh, and if that wasn't bad enough, I joined this site in 2013.

Life's a roller coaster and there are no seat belts, but I haven't been thrown off yet.

2013 was literally the worst year of my life, every single thing that could have gone wrong went wrong and the repercussions from that year still resonates with the entire family to this day
2013 was a low point for me too, I think. I was either homeless or about to become homeless for a few months right around now 10 years ago. I was luckily able to get a bed in a shelter for the winter or I probably wouldn't be here making this post. This was also around the time when my grandmother began to really show signs of the dementia that would eventually kill her. Oh, and if that wasn't bad enough, I joined this site in 2013.

Life's a roller coaster and there are no seat belts, but I haven't been thrown off yet.
Glad i wasnt the only one facing 2013 the way we have. Lost my Grandpa, best friends Mom (Mom vol. 2 type = much as i love my own mom sometimes was a better ear too type) and my main (always around) Uncle then. Rough year.

wont ramble (aka "make it about me" lol - hate that energy) sumn bout 2013 just seemed chaotic.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Was in my second year of college. Wasn't sure what to study still so I continued with my grab bag of classes and kept busy with games and shit. Played a ton of Team Fortress 2 back then on my shitty old laptop. Good times. Was also posting here, but even after being a member for a year I wouldn't exactly call myself a great poster lol.

Also, I was still happy and hadn't been smacked by the depression stick yet.

I can't believe X and Y came out 10 years ago. Guess I was being a 5th grader and playing Pokemon Y which was one game that I got that year for the holidays. Picked Chespin and named it Chopper.

I was in HS. In those days I was really into drama so I would've been rehearsing a one act that me and my best friend put on... In a few months I'd perform in my first musical. I was trying really hard in school especially AP Biology. We would play Fire Emblem Awakening for hours on our 3DS's... That was the last game I played together with my friends.

I had a huge crush on a girl who I was supposed to be friends with, but whenever we talked I would get really nervous and run away.

That holiday season, my friend who moved out of town received a surprise visit back to hang out with all of us and we hung out for like three days in late December. Good times.

I don't envy who I was back then because I was so unsure of myself and unsure of who I was. I definitely envy myself from 15-20 years ago (true childhood was the best) and myself from 5 years ago (god I made so many mistakes since then). But 10 years ago my life and prospects were about as good as now.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm about to turn 32 in 3 days. 10years ago I was about to turn 22. My previous birthday (21) was great, but this one was not. I remember 1 of my college roommates played taylor swift song for me about turning 22, I was unfamiliar with that song, its not what I would listen to. Otherwise I do not remember anything but the feeling of sadness and hopelessness, as I had on most days. I was a junior with 2.7 gpa working a minimum wage job. I had been rejected by a girl that year, that along with being a virgin hurt my confidence. My future did not look bright and I grew more depressed as I feared romance and success would elude me, life became dark, 10 years ago was just the start of that.
However, my fear was not realized as I managed to find my self with a good paying wall st job and get married to my wife who was living a mile from me 10 years ago.

playing this godforsaken game competitively still,
the 2010's were like my "dark ages" for pokemon cus so much fam, life, relationship, etc changes and happenings, came back in 2019 (when my dad was sick) and my wig flipped back 37 times and landed back on my head like "....well.... i got a lot to learn" (never was mega into comp outside friends but still; and at that time my last experience being emerald game wise lol.)
same way i feel tryna go back to madden after way to long despite when younger i'd get through weeks off bets i didn't have knowing i'd win lmaooo.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)