What is your favorite Gen 8 Pokemon?

There's another thread talking about what your least favorite Gen 8 Pokemon are, and while I've had fun shitting on Greedent, I think I need some more positivity in my life, so how about we talk about our favorites? If this thread hasn't been made already of course

Time to immediately tarnish my reputation by saying Dracovish is my favorite Gen 8 Pokemon
:sm/Dracovish:
I'm sorry. I watch the anime and my opinion of a Pokemon is heavily influenced by it. It's the only reason I don't hate Greninja that much. I may hate it's design but it's pretty cool in the anime. In the anime, Ash catches a Dracovish, and it's one of the cutest things ever. I don't know how they made it cute but for some reason, this thing nibbling on Ash's head is just so adorable. I love it's smile too, and it has a funny cry in the sub and dub. In game and not related to the Anime, I still like it's design a lot and the concept/lore for it, being based off of Bri'ish paleontologists that put fossils together incorrectly. I think that's funny. I like it's color scheme too, red is one of my favorite colors and it matches really well with the green here. And who can forget how this thing ripped OU apart? All of those reasons are why Dracovish is one of my favorite Gen 8 Pokemon, if not my favorite.

Next, a more popular opinion, Dragapult
:sm/Dragapult:
Despite my mind constantly preoccupied with the logistics of the Dreepy in it's holes when I see this Pokemon, I still really love Dragapult. In fact it's even been my favorite Pokemon at some points, something Dracovish can't say. And while it's no longer up there, it's still a really cool Pokemon. Sleek design, cool concept, awesome typing, what's not to love?

Ok if for some reason you still take me seriously after saying I love Dracovish, I guarantee you won't anymore after I say I like Eiscue.
:ss/Eiscue:
Ok I get it. It's not that inspired of a design. But I don't care, I love this penguin dude. He has a funny gimmick too. I don't have anything to say other than leave Eiscue alone :(

And my last one for now, a regional variant: Galarian Slowking
:sm/Slowking-Galar:
Look at this badass. This dude is going to fuck shit up and feel no remorse for it. The idea of turning Slowking into a witch-doctor is ingenius and really warrants regional variants because of this Pokemon alone. I still can't believe they turned the funny, dopey Slowpoke line into this badass and evil creature. My only complaint is that I don't like the idea of it being possessed by the Shellder on it's head. Like it's kinda cool but I dunno, I think it'd be cooler if they were some sort of evil duo instead of a parasitic relationship, but that's just me.

These two are the only ones I really love from generation 8.
:sm/Zacian::sm/Zamazenta:
I am a boring person, I love legendaries, dogs and cats. Stoutland is my favourite gen 5 Pokemon.

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Well if we’re including the regional forms, then my fave would easily be Galarian Ponyta.
1630308962650.png

It’s not surprising I love Galarian Ponyta since the original Ponyta & Rapidash are already in my like… top 6 mons, but they really knocked Galarian Ponyta’s design out of the park imo. It’s pulsing luminescence and wild mane and wide dark eyes are both cute and charming and enchanting and mysterious. And while I love Galarian Rapidash’s design as well, Ponyta feels like a much stronger and well-conceived redesign—and I kind of wish they kept some features from Ponyta-G intact on Rapidash. Don’t you think a Galarian Rapidash that kept Ponyta’s wild glowing mane and wide eyes (as opposed to its oddly groomed mane and stern expression) would be just stunning? :D

1630308277899.gif

(I LOVE.)

1630309121024.jpeg

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I love Galar’s regional forms and regional evolutions in general, but I have two favorite Regional Evolutions that are highlights among Gen 8 Pokémon.

:ss/obstagoon:
Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone looks great and all, but the Normal / Dark regional variant are already done by Alolan Ratatta line. But as soon as I saw Galarian Linoone evolving into Obstagoon in the trailer revealing the first Galarian forms, the possibilities of Regional Variants become far more wider.

While it does have average stats, it makes up for with access to Guts, alongside STAB Facade, making it very powerful once you get access to a Flame Orb. It also have access to Switcheroo, giving a guaranteed burn to a physical attacking target.

Obstruct also helps it to reduce Defense of a physical threat to ensure a guaranteed KO it couldn’t otherwise, or even forces a switch against a slower physical target. It’s sleek, intimidating design also tells that it means business, too!

Obstagoon is by far my top 1 favorite among Galar Pokémon.

:ss/sirfetch’d:
Sirfetch’d have a simple but effective design, gaining white feathers in contrast of Galarian Farfetch’d‘s dadk brown feathers, becoming a dignified white knight. The large leek also becomes a sword-lance weapon and a shield, and fights with honor - despite the fact that it naturally learns Knock Off, possibly referring disarming technique.

The small size it has become a lot more amusing by the fact that it has 135 base Attack, and despite other stats not rising as much, it gives the player an immediate access to a powerful Fighting-type capble of ignoring Intimidate or, if obtained Scrappy through Max Raid or given an Ability Patch, hit Ghost-type. Fighting / Flying coverage is also pretty powerful, too, giving it an edge against opponent Fighting-type, and First Impression gives it a nice revenge killing tool against Psychic-type or weakened threats,

The evolution method from Galarian Farfetch’d can be awkard to achieve, but thankfully easy to get around, with a nice chance of one holding Leek, access of high crit moves like Leaf Blade, and even access to Focus Energy. Use it against low-level trainer with three Pokémon or a wild Wobbuffet (preferably resisted hit to minimize Counter damage), and it is good to go.

Sirfetch’d, alongside Cursola who I also like a lot, reassured me that I do not have to worry about single-stage Pokémon with weak BST getting a regional form, because it will guarantee that it evolves into one anyways and not wasting a “regional slot”, to say. One argue that Galarian Stunfisk should have evolve, but that’s another story.

There isn't a single Galar Pokémon I dislike, and there are not many I found to be just okay either. I like the majority of them as I usually do with new Pokémon. I refuse to make a post in the other thread because I don't think I have a least favorite from Galar. Instead, here are my top favorites!

1630335224751.png

Copperajah is my overall favorite. When I first played Sword and saw Rose send out a Cufant in the intro, I just wanted to use that cute little elephant on my team. Later on, I caught a Cufant and evolved it into Copperajah. I made it a member of my Champion team and it was really awesome. I like elephants a lot, and Copperajah was really great when I used it. In the end, it became my favorite Galar Pokémon.

1630335238654.png
1630335242952.png

Cinderace is my favorite from the starters. This seems to be an unpopular opinion as of late, but I don't care. I picked Scorbunny in Sword because it appealed the most to me out of the base starter forms. I was very surprised upon seeing Cinderace as I did not expect it to become a football player. Which I am okay with despite the fact that I have never had any real interest in football. I used it on my Champion team and it worked very well there. During the post-game, I used another Cinderace at the Battle Tower for my Dynamax Single team, this time with Libero and the ability to Gigantamax. It also worked very well, all the way until I lost against Leon and his Cinderace! Still, I am satisfying with both the team and the streak, and using Cinderace at the Tower made me like it even more.

I really like Cinderace's design too. Rabbits, bunnies and hares are animals I like and I think Cinderace is just really cool. I don't care if people associate it with furries or whatever, I don't have a problem with that and I still like it no matter what. And I don't really have any issues with furries, for that matter. I also like Cinderace's GMax form. The way it stands on a giant fireball is just so great. It's signature move Pyro Ball is amazing too, and I think its signature GMax move is really great as well. 240 Base Power and ignoring the opponent's Ability, it is hard to find something cooler than that.

1630335260991.png
1630335264966.png

Zacian is my favorite legendary. I picked Sword over Shield, one reason being that I think Zacian looks cooler than Zamazenta. And I don't regret that at all. I love wolves, and Zacian is just so cool. The wings, the sword in its mouth... epic design overall. It is really great in battle too, with its high Speed and nuclear Attack. Though I have to admit that I might have a thing for Pokémon that are a bit overpowered.

1630335279532.png

Another one that deserves a mention is Wooloo. I'm a sucker for cute Pokémon and this little sheep is just so adorable!

Those are my top favorites. Below are my runner-ups.
1630335548356.png
1630335558489.png
1630335575624.png
1630335588672.png
1630335606779.png
1630335620444.png
1630335640630.png
1630335648995.png
1630335662656.png
1630335680873.png
1630340783028.png
1630340798186.png
1630340810031.png
1630340820703.png
1630340844963.png
1630340855948.png
1630340866723.png
1630340918133.png
1630340938323.png
1630340880409.png
1630340886785.png
1630340893958.png
1630340899837.png
1630340954158.png
1630340974031.png
1630340983082.png
1630340989665.png

From the Galarian variants and forms, I have a very hard time picking my favorites because I think they are all awesome (except Slowpoke, which is "only" okay). But I thought about it for a bit, and I'd say the following are my top favorites.

1630341518478.png
1630341526987.png

Ponyta and Rapidash are without any doubt among my top favorites. I find their original forms to be very boring and uninteresting Kanto Pokémon which were in desperate need of being spiced up if only ever so little. Thankfully, their Galarian forms gave them much more than that. They got a magical mystery cure which turned them into some of the most fantastic horse Pokémon ever! They really capture the "magic horse" concept so perfectly. I was very surprised but also happy when I got spoiled on the existance of Galarian Ponyta during the pre-release period for S/S. Fairy is also my favorite type, so that plays a part too. I used a Galarian Rapidash on my Armor team and it was pretty good there. I also like ponies in general (especially the friendly and magical variant), so that plays a part too.

1630341556124.png
1630341565802.png
1630341569332.png

I have always liked the Darumaka line, and I was happy when I saw that they were among the lucky Pokémon which had gotten regional variants. They went from Fire to Ice. Darmanitan looks a bit silly but in a very good way and I like it a lot. It has two really fun Abilities, you either get a strong power-up with Gorilla Tactics, or can change form, stats and typing with Zen Mode. I think its new Zen Mode form is very interesting too, a brutal snowman-monkey with Fire as a secondary type. I expecially like how they took the Zen Mode concept in a completely different way compared to regular Darmanitan. I used a Galarian Darminitan with Zen Mode on my mid-game team and it was fun.

1630341582393.png
1630341593058.png
1630341615439.png

I really like the regional forms of the Zigzagoon line too. They turned into glam rock-badgers and that's just really cool! Obstagoon is amazing, a totally unexpected evolution I never thought would happen. But it happened and I really like it. Everything about it is awesome. I used an Obstagoon on my Armor team and it rocked. One of my best memories with it was during the battle against Klara where she cheated by putting Toxic Spikes on the field. That just meant I could use my Obstagoon with Guts and Facade to counter her even harder!

1630341623717.png
1630341632269.png

I have always liked Farfetch'd, but I felt that it really deserved something to make it stand out more. A regional form and a regional evolution was just what it needed. Sirfetch'd is just so cool, getting a sword and a shield which is a great reference to the game names. I used it on my Reserve team and it was pretty good there.

Runner-ups: All the others except Slowpoke.

Those are my favorite Galar Pokémon. Sorry if some of the descriptions are a bit short, I just couldn't be bothered to write anything longer than this.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Okay, I think this the right place. I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread at first, but we should be good now. As such, the entirety of this post is technically copy-pasted over from there.

Someone's gonna have to teach me how to implement Pokémon sprites and/or models onto my posts at some point, if any of you wouldn't mind helping me with that. If the choice is available, sprites over models because they take up less screen space and aren't garbage like some models are. Looking at you, flame-less Typhlosion.

But anyways, new Generation 8 Pokémon that we like. I have three of them that I'd like to talk about.

1. Obstagoon
(Reminder to me to insert sprite/models below their names)

My like for this Pokémon actually began very, very recently. For reasons I've posted about in other threads, I love the idea of regional variants, and while some fans may prefer tradition cross-generation evolutions, there is actually biological precedent for "regional evolutions" as I like to call them, and Obstagoon was the first one we ever saw. For me, Zigzagoon is tied with the universally hated Patrat (it was my first ever random Shiny, okay, cut me some slack!) for being my favorite Normal-Type regional earlygame rodent, and to top it all off, something pretty cool happened regarding Obstagoon on my birthday last year. If anyone knows who "False Swipe Gaming" is on YouTube, their weekly Sunday spotlight was for Linoone & Obstagoon that week by virtue of a patreon pick and extra time being required for their Charizard remake. (I won't be posting a link here since I'd rather ask for their permission but typically they never go back to older videos so it's not like anyone would see my comment.)

Also, it's about da** time we had a Dark-Type Gym, and I respect Piers using one as his strongest Pokémon and sticking to a more traditional battle, which is to say no Dynamax/Gigantamax. Not to mention that it just fits the dude perfectly :D

2. Toxtricity

Story time. I like Poison-Types as of 2019 as a result of my history with finding Shiny ones. Toxel and its evolution were the only fresh new Generation 8 Poison-Types not counting regional variants such as Weezing and the Slowpoke evolutions. Toxtricity also has a pretty cool looking Gigantamax form. Pokémon Sword & Shield came out in 2019, and there happens to be a gift Toxel the player could pick up on... I believe it was Route 5.

You can probably see where this is going. You bet I was all over the idea of Shiny Hunting that gift Toxel and eventually training one up, finally completing my long overdue dream of finishing a soft-reset hunt for the first time. Except not, because as it turns out, gift Pokémon were Shiny locked in Generation 8 and I didn't know about this change for an entire two and a half months. Something about this story stuck with me ever since then, with Toxel & Toxtricity becoming a sort of dream Shiny for me, right up there with Shiny Poipole & Naganadel.

3. Inteleon

Here's another controversial opinion. Greninja and Cinderace are probably my two least favorite starter Pokémon evolution lines in the franchise. Too much anime & game fan-service, and I don't like their hidden abilities. With the single exception of Incineroar ruining Litten's family, I've always had consistent opinions about a starter Pokémon's evolution line. Grookey's evolution line was pretty decent I suppose, but the question remained. What about the Water-Type option? Between Squirtle, Totodile, Piplup, and Popplio, I'd developed a fondness for the Water starters over my time as a Pokémon fan. I liked Grookey and Sobble pretty much equally, so much so that it was impossible to pick between those two. I wasn't much of a Scorbunny fan from the start, sadly.

Aaaand that's when I learned about Inteleon for the first time. Somehow, this thing managed to take my two least favorite fully evolved Starter Pokémon ever and combine the parts I did enjoy about them into an absolute masterpiece. The idea of the sad and timid (which funny enough is a great nature for one) Sobble going through an intense emotional growth and eventually becoming something it's always dreamed of being is incredibly heartwarming as well as totally relatable.

And... come on. This thing is a literal British intelligence agent equipped with an aquatic bolt-action sniper rifle for a signature move and its own sniper tower for its G-Max form. That's freaking dope.

Honestly I've really grown to Inteleon. I still think the hands are kinda weird and it's too thin but other than that, a really nice design, and strangely...not as humanoid as the other two? How the hell did that happen. I think I'll probably choose Sobble in my next playthrough of Galar.

I also agree about Cinderace and Greninja. While I wouldn't say they're my least favorites, they're definitely not close to my favorites. They're similar because both of their designs are ruined by one aspect alone: Cinderace's pants and Greninja's gross tongue scarf

And Obstagoon is also really cool. It's like Gardevoir to where it pulls off a Pokemon wearing "clothes" in a really cool and natural way

While looking at my post in the least favorites thread it reminded me of more I really like

:sm/dottler: :sm/orbeetle:
Probably the best early route bug types ever, maybe tied with Vivillon. Sad it's not great competitively (why does it have 3 useless or mediocre abilities) but it still looks awesome, and that isn't even mentioning the Gmax form

:sm/orbeetle-gmax:
It becomes a giant fucking UFO, that's amazing.

:ss/(Centiskorch):
I just really like miscellaneous critters and invertebrates, especially centipedes so I liked it at first glance. And Fire is one of my favorite types so I liked it even more.

:ss/(Centiskorch-gmax):
Yes. (Bonus points for the visual pun.)

:ss/(Dragapult):
Also been a huge fossil/paleontology nerd since childhood, so seeing a Diplocaulus pokemon was delightful.

:ss/(Dracovish):
Same reasons as the above, and I like how Vish and the other galar fossils reference the inaccurate reconstructions of extinct creatures that were common in Victorian times.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
Someone's gonna have to teach me how to implement Pokémon sprites and/or models onto my posts at some point, if any of you wouldn't mind helping me with that.
sure, i can help!
for gen 8 sprites you put this in; :pokemon:
and for previous generations(also for models) it’s :gen/pokemon:

examples;
Code:
:eiscue:
:eiscue:

Code:
:bw/garbodor:
:bw/garbodor:

Code:
:ss/raboot:
:ss/raboot:

My top 3 (or technically 5, I guess):

3:
:swsh/articuno-galar::swsh/zapdos-galar::swsh/moltres-galar:
One look at these three in the first trailer revealing the Crown Tundra and I knew they were going to be my favorite mons introduced in the DLC. I love when regional variants help make stale mons seem fresh again, and these did just that (I was never a huge fan of their Kantonian counterparts). Plus, in Articuno's and Zapdos's cases, I don't think you can overstate just how useful Competitive and Defiant can be in Max Raid Battles (and as anti-Dynamax measures in general). Now how about doing the same for the Eeveelutions in Gen 9? Also how about giving mah boi Grumpig a Hisuian form in Legends Arceus?

2:
:swsh/morpeko:
I appreciate when a Pokemon can impress me after I initially expected nothing from it. I think my past self from two months ago best explained how Morpeko managed to win me over (icons indicating my emotions at the time):
  • A new trailer reveals that a type combination I've wanted to see for almost 20 years is finally being utilized:
  • But it's on a Pikachu clone with a silly gimmick:
  • "Hey, this Morpeko I just caught has higher Attack and Speed than my Obstagoon":
  • "But its other stats are abysmal":
  • "What the hell, I'll give it a shot. Hey, it can learn some pretty interesting attacks":
  • "Aura Wheel is that strong? AND it also raises its Speed? Holy shit, this thing's pretty awesome:
    x2
  • Morpeko used Max Lightning! It's super effective! The opposing Charizard fainted!:
    x100
Combine that with an adorable design that would make even a Buzzwole squeal in delight and a surprising amount of potential in online battles, and you have my favorite Electric rodent by a light-year.

1:
:swsh/dragapult:
Usually, it takes a bit of time for me to decide what my favorite Pokemon from any given generation is. This, however, was not one of those instances, as Dragapult became my favorite from Gen 8 - and one of my top 5 all-time favorites - pretty much the very instant I first laid eyes on its design, base stats, and movepool. I think that pretty much summarizes what I love best about Dragapult, but I also have to give props for the two Dreepy it keeps with it; we all know two Dreepy are twice as adorable and majestic as one Dreepy.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion

I just love how they look and Arctozolt's typing in particular. Honorific mention for Dracozolt.

(Also this one
)
Bonk bonk bonk. I love Ice-types and Fire-types, and they gave me an Ice/Fire with a tricky strat making your opponent think you are Gorilla Tactics and... you set up a Substitute + Belly Drum and sweep with this restless & reckless bouncy boy.

It's 3D model ingame is even better; its tail becomes more and more transparent when reaching its end, giving the Pult a more spectral aspect. And, man, it throws Dreepys when using Dragon Darts, it is simply incredible. I've also used it in the Spanish subroom mini SSB as a Webs lead. See the set here!

These three were the main Gen 8 mons I used in my first playthrough in Galar. I tried not to be spoiled about almost anything so I (almost) didn't know what the final stages were like. Though these all were two stages lines, I really liked them. The simplicity of Nickit and the cute face of Yamper made me choose them. Sandaconda was a last minute option I chose while I was walking through the route where the Fossiles Geek stands. I faced a Silicobra: a Ground-type snake. I had to catch it, not only because of the Pokédex but also as a potential new member of my team. When it finally evolved, I couldn't believe how cool it was. And they all played a crucial role in Leon's battle. They will always have a place in my heart.

OMG IT'S SO FUCKING CUTE I WANT ONE IRL

Two honorific mentions:

I like Carkol's face and I use it as my Flame Body user for hatching eggs, so I spend a lot of time with it. Yamper is simply adorable, specially in the anime.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If I'm going to be honest, Gen 8 might very have one of my favorite rosters of new Pokemon of all time. Part of the reason I love Galar a lot is that the new mons it added are all really good and memorable to me, and there's very few Pokemon from Gen 8 that I straight up dislike (the only ones I really dislike are Stonjourner and Eiscue), and yet so many of the new Pokemon are incredibly fun and inspired designs and a lot of them are also fun and memorable in battle as well.

But if I had to pick my absolute favorite Gen 8 Pokemon, it's Dragapult.

Dragapult is one of my favorite pseudo-legendaries by a wide margin, and one of the most creative, excellent designs I have ever seen. I love how it has the wonderful Dragon/Ghost typing, being the first non-legendary to have the type aside from Giratina. But while Giratina has a monstrous, sinister vibe to its appearance, Dragapult is more fun, and in many ways, a lively and creative design in its own right.

The lore behind its Ghost-typing is quite neat, and different from many other Ghost-type Pokemon. It's not spooky and creepy like Chandelure or Dusknoir, and it's not particularly prankster-ish like Gengar. In fact, it doesn't really steal souls or spook people like many Ghost-types do. Its Ghost typing comes from a more simple place. The Dreepy line were one ancient prehistoric life forms who lived in ancient seas so long ago, and have since gone extinct. But the souls of these organisms have seen been reborn and came back as undead Ghosts, and as Dreepy they wander the places that were once the ancient seas where they lived. In that sense, they are prehistoric creatures who defied extinction by becoming the undead! No need for fossil restoration, they come back as Ghosts!

And the path to their evolution is quite neat, and befitting of a late bloomer pseudo-legendary. Dreepy starts off exceptionally weak, so much so that on its own a mere child could beat it just by playing with it. This is reflected in both its abysmal stats and its complete and utter lack of movepool, with its strongest attacks being Bite, Astonish, Infestation, and Quick Attack. A fairly pathetic set of moves. But if it has friends to help it train, it can evolve and become much stronger, and said friends are its evolved forms, Drakloak and Dragapult. Drakloak carries a Dreepy on its head, and Dragapult carries two in its horns. The former is very doting on the Dreepy it carries and they battle as a team, but Drakloak takes very good care of the Dreepy until it successfully evolves. Dragapult is a bit more tough on the Dreepy, as it shoots them from its horns like supersonic missiles to send them flying towards their opponents as ammunition: even so, the Dreepy eagerly enjoy this experience and as Dragon Darts is a Dragon-type move, this helps Dreepy increase their power and harnesses the draconic energy within them as they grow stronger through this experience.

Dragapult also has an incredibly clean and slick design. The slim, sleek design that looks like a lizard, but the tail that grows transparent at the end of it makes it look ethereal, and the head looks like that of a Diplocaulus, which is neat, while simultaneously looking like the missile base of a war plane, which is incredibly slick. It's also surprisingly cute in and of itself, as seen in Camp especially with its two Dreepy, while also looking badass at the same time with its clean design and watching it use Dragon Darts in battle is quite cool and also an absolutely fun and creative concept.

Dragapult is also an excellent pseudo-legendary in battle, and is the best pseudo-legendary we have had in competitive since Garchomp. After Garchomp was such a masterfully made Pokemon, the following pseudos after it underwhelmed a bit and it seemed like we would never get another one like Garchomp ever again. Hydreigon, while good, was a tad underwhelming due to its incredibly awkward Speed tier, exploitable weaknesses, lack of way to boost power, and vice versa, which only got worse when Fairies joined, which made Hydreigon worse. Goodra has a nice and unique approach, but ultimately it failed to take off in singles competitive and has a negative reputation in Smogon competitive, plummeting down the tiers to Gen 6 UU (where it was still outclassed), then RU, and now NU. That being said, Goodra has its niche and good uses in VGC, something Hydreigon cannot claim to. Kommo-o proved to nearly be just as underwhelming, until its Z-Move came, which bolstered its viability, but even so, it's no Tyranitar or Garchomp and it's a fairly boring Pokemon both stat and design wise. But then come Dragapult, and it's a force to be reckoned with. Great dual typing, GODLY speed, and ability to go both physical and special, with Dragon Dance and dual STABs, or with a colorful special movepool, being able to go both ways makes it a versatile force. Plus it has great utility with a fast U-turn, or it can use annoyer sets with Will-O-Wisp and Hex, or alternatively Thunder Wave, all of which gives Dragapult some great utility. Not to mention two absolutely excellent abilities: Clear Body prevents stat drops, while Infiltrator allows Dragapult to bypass screens and Substitute. Dragapult is also excellent in Doubles and VGC thanks to Dragon Darts hitting both targets, Phantom Force bypassing Protect, and in VGC Dynamax Max Airstream helps it and its ally get even faster. After Garchomp was followed up by a trio of good, but not outstanding pseudo-legendaries that were all ultimately disappointing in battle in one way or another, Dragapult comes in and becomes yet another excellent pseudo-legendary on par with, if not better than, Garchomp in the field of battle.

The fact that Leon, who is imo one of my favorite Champions thus far, uses one, adds to its appeal to me imo. Even moreso when Dragapult has been pushed as Leon's secondary ace behind his G-Max Charizard, with him using one in the anime, in Twilight Wings, and in the Journeys manga.

While Dragapult may be my favorite of the bunch, there are some honorable mentions I will give:

Call it cliche but Toxtricity is a close second. The typing is unique and cool but the mon itself is just so neat. Toxel is a funny little baby dino but it turns into two rock stars! Toxtricity's Amped form is an electric guitar, and the Low Key form is a bass guitar! As someone who is pretty into rock music these two appealed to me immediately once I realized their schtick and they are just so unabashedly cool! They may not be that good in battle but they are still unbelievably fun and they have a great gimmick going for them.

One of the best regional birds by far, Corviknight is definitely up there as a Pokemon that I really like. It's a strong, imposing, armored bird of steel and it absolutely nails the look while looking totally natural. Great stats for a defensively oriented Pokemon while it has a good movepool to serve a variety of roles, making it a wonderful Pokemon both in-game and in competitive.

I know many people are off-put by the Galar starters' designs because of how heavily anthropomorphic they are, but I don't mind. This is a case where I think all three Galar starters appeal to me equally in many ways. First off, let me say that I really like their unevolved forms Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble, and they have great personalities with Grookey's "Have a Nice Day" vibe, Scorbunny's energetic and hyperactive personality, and Sobble's timid baby "Must protect at all costs" vibe. The mid-evolutions are kind of meh except Raboot but it's whatever in those cases. As for Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon though, while I still notably prefer the Alola and Kalos starters aesthetically, there are some things about Galar's trio that I like. I think they work really well together as a group and have fun little themes going on that tie into UK culture pretty well: Rillaboom is a drummer, and again like with Toxtricity I love it on that merit because I'm into rock music, Cinderace is based on football (or as the US calls it, soccer), and Inteleon is a spy/sniper and its most recent anime appearance really went in on that by letting it play into some spy movie tropes (especially when many people nicknamed their Inteleons either James Pond or Bubble 07, which was hilarious).

But the big thing that makes me like the Galar starters a lot, despite me still liking Kalos and Alola's groups more aesthetically, is their battling capabilities. One of the things I look for in a great starter is that they are fun and splashable to use in battle, and these three deliver on that front. Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon are sincerely one of the most enjoyable trios of starters to use in-game, right up there with Sinnoh's trio in how fun they are to use collectively. While many other starter trios have one or two members who are underwhelming or difficult to use in-game (Meganium, Charizard, Serperior, and Greninja, to name a few), this isn't the case with Galar's trio: you can use any of Grookey, Scorbunny, or Sobble and you literally cannot go wrong with any of them. And boy, not only are they solid thanks to their well distributed stats and great movepools, they sure as hell are enjoyable to use. They may be mono-typed, but they make up for it with their stats and fun movepools. And boy are their signature moves absolutely fun to see. Rillaboom beating that tree stump drum and watching roots hit the opponent, Cinderace dribbling a pebble and conjuring a soccer ball of fire and kicking it in the opponent's face, or Inteleon focusing and shooting the opponent at their most vulnerable spot. That is really, really fun imo. Plus they all have good coverage to use via TMs or TRs and U-turn for a bit of utility as well if you're in for that.

Plus they are among the strongest group of starters competitively so far. Despite being mono-typed, they make up for it with their movepools, great stats, and most of all, excellent Hidden Abilities that make them forces in the metagame, though mainly just Rillaboom and Cinderace. Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain plus strong priority in Grassy Glide combined with a good movepool make it awesome in both OU and VGC, same with Cinderace's Libero, though sadly it's banned to Ubers now. Inteleon got the short end of the stick, unfortunately, and it's a lower tier mon, but Sniper isn't totally useless and if anything, combined with Focus Energy gives it a funny gimmick to utilize in getting crits like crazy (like Kingdra basically). Their G-Maxes are also fun and tie into their schticks even harder. Watching G-Max Inteleon snipe Leon's Charizard from the top of a tower was a sight to behold.

This is an incredibly creative Dragon-type line that uses an unusual typing but it's so cool and unique. Applin is literally a worm in an apple, but is also part Dragon in that it's a "wyrm" in an apple, perfect play on words there. Its evolution branch gimmick is also neat, in that apples can be either sour or sweet, and that flavor triggers a different evolutionary path for Applin depending on which one it ate. Flapple takes on a broken apple appearance and being a apple wyrm literally, taking more after the Dragon-type. Meanwhile Appletun becomes more of a turtle-like creature, and its back now resembles apple pie! Creative concept for sure!

Scolipede is one of my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon, and Gen 8 certainly didn't disappoint in introducing another centipede to the mix, this time a fiery centipede. Centiskorch has a really cool and imposing design and it's one of the best Bug-types we've gotten so far. And the fact that Scolipede's IoA dex entry later revealed the two are rivals who will eat each other after they fight just makes it even cooler in my eyes.

Hatterene and Grimmsnarl are a really cool counterpart duo that represent forest-dwelling creatures that are scary in their own rights. Hatterene is a forest witch who will kill you if you express strong emotion, Grimmsnarl is a goblin with hairs that act as muscle fibers. And they just have really excellently made designs! It's even funnier when they are both centered around their hair to conceal their true bodies: Hatterene looks really tall but is actually a tiny little creature underneath it all, Grimmsnarl has a noodle body despite being muscular. There's an inherent irony there.

Big shout-out to these. These four are abominations and are hella creative, Arctozolt and Dracovish my favorite of all, but they're a shoutout to history in that paleontologists long ago put together unrelated skeletons and claimed they discovered a dinosaur, especially in the UK, which ties in really nicely into Galar, and they're just utterly hilarious abominations in and of themselves. Dracovish and Arctozolt are my favorite of the lot though, and I am happy Ash and Goh caught them in the anime.

Cool typing, funny design. It's interesting how it looks so tall and made of metal but it's so unbelievably light, and yet it has that kaiju vibe to it looking like Mecha Godzilla, and the fact that it's canonically known to be rivals with Tyranitar (a huge long time favorite of mine) is even cooler in my eyes.

Calyrex's design wasn't something I liked at first, but actually seeing it in the Crown Tundra made me like it because it became its own character. Seeing Calyrex take possession of Peony to actually talk with you was fun, and seeing how despite it carrying itself regally like a king it was a giant dork and had a funny personality plus being out of touch with modern day reality made me love it. The Freezington Snow Samba scene was utterly hilarious to witness too, especially since Calyrex made Peony do it while possessed and floating in the air right next to him.

This is one of those funny designs that is really great and cool. It's a group of six who line up and battle together under a leader, and it's a perfect shout out to the phalanx formation in ancient combat, soldiers lined up with shields all around both sides and spears at the ready. Falinks, right down to its name, is an excellent play on this concept.

Looong ass post sorry lol, but I just love Gen 8's roster of Pokemon so, so much. So many creative and inspired designs and it's clear a lot of thought went into creating a large number of Galar's new mons and I appreciate so many mons from Gen 8 because of how creative they got with all of these, not to mention many of them are great battlers and fun to use whether it be in-game or competitive.

Very much agree with most of your picks Scrafty. I find it cool how most people who like the Galar fossils tend to prefer Dracovish and Arctozolt, myself included. Funny how those are the ones caught by Ash and Goh. I wonder if that had an affect on people's opinions? It definitely did for me

Also, while Dracovish's cry in the anime is known to be funny, I think Arctozolt is overshadowed. I've only seen the clip where he says his name but I love his "majestic" voice. ARK-TOH!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)