Weird sports / activities you do / play

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

Yeah, that's me. I wrestle 'gators in the Everglades just for fun.

Searching for yoyoing on youtube to look at this sport gave me this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vi9MF6ahY&feature=related
Cool sport, it's like ballerina and punching air combined.

Athletic sports-wise.. ping-pong is the least mainstream thing, but that's not too weird.. Hmm Is Pokemon a sport? Chess? Texting?

Ok I need to think of "wierder" sports that I've played.. There has to be something lol...

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you might be better off with this in sports arena (if they'll have it), but jesus steve brown is incredible, haha

playing with a yo-yo is in no way, shape, or form, a sport. Neither is wrestling, with a human or aligator, for that matter. Playing with a yo-yo is just a hobby, wrestling is a physical activity.

And sneeze, I would say that ping-pong is a sport, but Pokémon isn't even athletic, and chess and texting are hobbies

LOL. And yoyoing is a sport, it was on ESPN and Sportsnation a couple days ago.
I saw a tampax commercial on ESPN once, it doesn't make having a period a sport. Being on ESPN does not make it 'officially' a sport. Here's what I always say:

"It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt, then it becomes a sport"

How many injuries do you see on a regular basis in yoyoing?

You can get a nice finger injury from the string. I think regular yo-yo-ers get callouses.

My definition of a sport:

"An activity that involves competing with others according to defined rules, where the details of the physical actions of the competitors can directly affect the result."

By this definition yo-yo-ing is a sport. Wrestling competitively is a sport, WWE-style wrestling isn't since the wrestlers are in fact co-operating. Alligator wrestling is only a sport if it's being judged or timed or something.

Chess and other board games are not sports, because although there is the physical action of moving the pieces exactly how they are moved doesn't affect the game. Tiddlywinks, however, IS a sport, in the same way that darts and snooker are. Poker isn't a sport, because while keeping a "poker face" is a physical action that can affect the result, it affects it indirectly.

But like any "exact" definition, it ends up contrary to general perception. By it, most computer games are a sport due to the effects of precise actions with the controlller. The exception is strictly turn-based games. Command and Conquer is a sport, Battle for Wesnoth is not, nor is Pokemon.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How about this. I switch the title to "weird sports / activities you like playing / doing" and we get off trying to define what is or isn't a sport.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My sport is FIRST Robotics. Between engineering design like Pokemon teambuilding, competitive matches like chess, and alliance selection (picking other robot teams to work with you in the elims) like the SPL, what's not to like?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did competitive debating all through high school, was captain of the senior team during my last two years. Favoured position was third speaker where I made up rebuttal on the fly.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I enjoy frog catching a lot. It's always great to catch a huge one that's like twice the size of your hand.

I want to try noodling for catfish but its so extreme.

Did competitive debating all through high school, was captain of the senior team during my last two years. Favoured position was third speaker where I made up rebuttal on the fly.
We have something like that at our school called DDF (Drama, Debate, and Forensics). It pretty much covered both competitive debating over world events, as well as impromptu speeches and acting. I really enjoy it, and it helps a lot with getting over stage fright and boosting overall confidence.

Neither is wrestling, with a human or aligator, for that matter.

-a sport in which two opponents struggle hand to hand in order to pin or press each other's shoulders to the mat or ground, with the style, rules, and regulations differing widely in amateur and professional matches.

Can you guess what definition that is from? I'll give you a clue, it's the oldest sport in the world.

As for my hobbies/sports, I'm a martial artist. I've recently started training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and train as many aspects of mixed martial arts as I can. It's hard because school is starting in a few weeks so my training will be drastically cut due to school/not enough time.

When I'm not feeling too lazy I like to lift weights, mountain bike, and this one isn't a sport, but I love going for a cruise in my car on a late sunday night. It helps me clear my mind and I don't have to listen to anyone's bullshit. The night is quiet and all I hear is my car and the tire noise as we head thru country roads. It's my version of meditation you could say. :)

Theres this game that I like to play called Milkjug. You get an empty gallon of milk and get a group of people. You slam the Milkjug into the ground so that it bounces, and you try to bobble it before it hits the ground, and while you are bobbing you need to try to grab the handle of the Milkjug. If you are successful you get the first letter of milkjug, M. you need to try to spell MILK first. Its actually really fun and intense.

At Cambridge I played Assassins. I was never very good though, not paranoid enough.

I also played its spin-off Capture The Flag. There is great satisfaction in eliminating your opponent with a well-pitched rolled-up newspaper. Not that I was ever much good at that either; in fact I bear the dubious distinction of having scored the only recorded own goal in CTF - I picked up my team's flag and ran with it straight into the enemy base. In my defence, I had been drinking.

I've also been involved in amateur radio. (As in, the two-way stuff, not broadcast radio). I was on the CUWS (Cambridge University Wireless Society) CQWW (CQ WorldWide) team a couple of times. CQWW is pretty much the biggest ham radio contest there is. Basically the idea is to make contact with as many other radio hams, in as many other countries as possible, on every of several bands, in 48 hours. The bands the contest usesAt peak an expert operator can be making six or more contacts a minute. Again, not that I was ever that good.
The CQWW preparation alone is quite the work. For it we usually have three towers - IIRC 80, 60, and 40 feet high - with antennas on all. And we often have a "4 square" as well, which uses 4 vertical antennas and phases each one to direct the overall signal.

Rowing probably doesn't count as weird enough.

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Well, I'm a Mathlete, which is occasionally weird; borderlining stereotypical nerd. Ironically, I also do Wrestling, Tennis, and I'm trying to establish a Boys Lacrosse team at our school, as we don't have one. Personally, I don't believe those are weird, I just thought I'd share.

I fence which is one of the most fun sports I've ever played ever. My weapon is saber if anyone is interested and I've been fencing for about 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)