Item Weakness Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone thought of using it on stuff like terrakion with sand support?

t-tar weakness policy is very good if you run rock polish, set it up on predicted move and proceed to destroy.
also, weakness policy dnite is not always that good, especially if they have mamoswine, or something that is sashed. Multiscale is good with weakness policy but.... Anyone with mamo simply icicle crashes an OHKOs immediately.
its better to use it on something with better priority than extreme speed, or better bulk
now don't get me wrong, dnite is amazing especially if it carries roost to help against priority, but sashed pokes are the bane of this thing. In fact, sash garchomp revenge kills this thing easy and any mega gengar walls it and either kills or cripples it.

Last edited:
Rock pokemon are not great Weakness Policy users unfortunately, being weak to Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet AND Mach Punch. You're better off just double dancing with Terakion. WP is best used on pokemon that have some means of recovery. Dragonite really is the quintessential BP user because of Roost and Multiscale. Those instances you mentioned are far less likely than your opponent having a Scizor, Azumaril, Infernape, Conkeldurr, etc.

Rock types do great with weakness policy; The only type with a wide range of sturdy pokemon, great offensive stab and the amazingly low defensive that lets them be hit super effectively by everything. Rock polish fixes their poor speed, and some carry priority moves

Rock pokemon are not great Weakness Policy users unfortunately, being weak to Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet AND Mach Punch. You're better off just double dancing with Terakion. WP is best used on pokemon that have some means of recovery. Dragonite really is the quintessential BP user because of Roost and Multiscale. Those instances you mentioned are far less likely than your opponent having a Scizor, Azumaril, Infernape, Conkeldurr, etc.
I understand the benefits of Roost, although I've found the best use of Weakness Policy is to simply go for an all out sweep with +3 Attack and +1 Speed (after DDing and WP activating) with three attacks. Thanks to Extremespeed, you do not have to worry about most revenge killers, so you don't really need to bother trying to stay healthy as you should already be set to sweep.

Rock types do great with weakness policy; The only type with a wide range of sturdy pokemon, great offensive stab and the amazingly low defensive that lets them be hit super effectively by everything. Rock polish fixes their poor speed, and some carry priority moves
It can theoretically work if they are unprepared, but most have safer and more reliable options. You just aren't likely to really sweep is what I'm saying. And if you save it for the very late end game there are plenty of fast sweepers that don't have to rely on WP to get their attack boosted to clean up. I just don't think it's optimum but by all means...

I understand the benefits of Roost, although I've found the best use of Weakness Policy is to simply go for an all out sweep with +3 Attack and +1 Speed (after DDing and WP activating) with three attacks. Thanks to Extremespeed, you do not have to worry about most revenge killers, so you don't really need to bother trying to stay healthy as you should already be set to sweep.
I can totally see that working too. Sometimes it really is better to go all out and attack, but Roost is required if you couldn't get rid of Stealth Rock.

Super effective phazing moves completely counters WP strategies. Moves like Dragon Tail triggers WP before phazing the opponent.

I've been looking at trying to use a set oriented around Drifblim for this, but until tiers are established for UU/NU(one of which I'm fairly certain Drifblim sits), I've not had a lot of success in Pokemon Showdown OU beta, the only place I can use this item. Drifblim has low defenses, but very high HP, access to reliable recovery in Roost, as well as access to Unburden as an ability, the move Recycle, and Baton Pass. Theoretically, the idea is to take an SE hit, activate Weakness Policy, Roost/Recycle to recover Weakness Policy/HP, and Baton Pass the boosts into something.

Those dreadful defenses don't help this at all though. Still, I've yet to look into what else has access to Baton Pass/Recycle, because that opens the door to several easy stat boosts to Pass on to bulky Pokemon that usually couldn't do much damage, but with the Policy boosts, can.

I dunno, it's pretty gimmicky but I'm gonna look into it.

I can personally say after testing many people on showdown that a +3 Attack and + 3 Speed Carracosta can wreck teams if they don't have the proper counter. It should also be interesting to note that it can survive an onslaught of Mega-Khangaskhan's Power-Up Punches, even if its already at +2 Attack. Additionally, Carracosta has a STAB of its own, and with its own Prioerty, can out speed even some Talonflaame sets and OHKO them.

I've been looking at trying to use a set oriented around Drifblim for this, but until tiers are established for UU/NU(one of which I'm fairly certain Drifblim sits), I've not had a lot of success in Pokemon Showdown OU beta, the only place I can use this item. Drifblim has low defenses, but very high HP, access to reliable recovery in Roost, as well as access to Unburden as an ability, the move Recycle, and Baton Pass. Theoretically, the idea is to take an SE hit, activate Weakness Policy, Roost/Recycle to recover Weakness Policy/HP, and Baton Pass the boosts into something.

Those dreadful defenses don't help this at all though. Still, I've yet to look into what else has access to Baton Pass/Recycle, because that opens the door to several easy stat boosts to Pass on to bulky Pokemon that usually couldn't do much damage, but with the Policy boosts, can.

That's why you use Stockpile. Now you're Baton Passing +2 in offenses and +1 in defenses minimum. Don't get greedy with Recycle.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

You'd think people would catch onto the fact that you just recycled your WP and so would avoid using SE moves that they weren't confident that they would OHKO you.

is there anything else that could abuse weakness policy? Preferably something reasonably bulky with reliable recovery and isn't dragonite, I personally think that extremespeed is not that great as anything decently bulky can revenge kill it.
I was wondering about hydration goodra with rest in rain.

WP is not even a consumable to begin with...
Yes it is.

is there anything else that could abuse weakness policy? Preferably something reasonably bulky with reliable recovery and isn't dragonite, I personally think that extremespeed is not that great as anything decently bulky can revenge kill it.
I was wondering about hydration goodra with rest in rain.
Goodra sounds interesting, but keeping Rain up and trying to use WP is very hard. Plus, most smart opponents will go to their physical attacker to maul Goodra.

Dragonite has Multiscale, so if you can manage your HP well with Roost+WP, you can't revenge it. It also has Dragon Dance and Agility, making it a very good WP sweeper, and most people tend to go all-out with their WP instead of Roosting anyways.

For all-out purposes speed boosters like Aegislash and AgiliGross can work well with Weakness Policy, although it isn't as reliable as a Life Orb. I personally don't like it since it depends on your opponent, and I've only seen it used well on Dragonite and Aegislash. That's not to say that stuff like Thundurus-I can't use it well, though.

Yes it is.

Goodra sounds interesting, but keeping Rain up and trying to use WP is very hard. Plus, most smart opponents will go to their physical attacker to maul Goodra.

Dragonite has Multiscale, so if you can manage your HP well with Roost+WP, you can't revenge it. It also has Dragon Dance and Agility, making it a very good WP sweeper, and most people tend to go all-out with their WP instead of Roosting anyways.

For all-out purposes speed boosters like Aegislash and AgiliGross can work well with Weakness Policy, although it isn't as reliable as a Life Orb. I personally don't like it since it depends on your opponent, and I've only seen it used well on Dragonite and Aegislash. That's not to say that stuff like Thundurus-I can't use it well, though.[/quote/]
yes but dragonite is somewhat unreliable because if multiscale is broken weakness policy is useless
yes but if multiscale is broken dragonite becomes very difficult to us

Last edited:
yes but dragonite is somewhat unreliable because if multiscale is broken weakness policy is useless
And Talonflame is useless after SR too!

Your partners are supposed to set up the sweep for you. If you can't figure out how to support your sweeper then you won't be able to use any sweeper well at all, much less a Weakness Policy one. Dragonite just needs to keep Rocks, Sand, and Hail off the field, and then it's pretty easy to take a hit to activate WP from there.

Thundurus-I works similarly with Agility, and is faster, but can't take hits like Dragonite.

Aegislash can take hits and has Autotomize, but is a lot slower than Dragonite.

AgiliGross is theoretically a good WP sweeper too, but it's not as fast as Dragonite.

I do see what you are saying, just that my personal opinion is that weakness policy does not suit dragonite. Mamoswine can take an extremespeed and retaliate with an ice move and anything with a sash cripples or kills it, partuclarly anything carrying wil o wisp. Or that carries a move that takes it out and can eat an extremespeed, like garchomp

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What if you combined WP with a pokemon with sturdy and a speed boosting move?

EDIT: though it'd leave you wide open to priority if they got it down to sturdy range

Last edited:
What if you combined WP with a pokemon with sturdy and a speed boosting move?

EDIT: though it'd leave you wide open to priority if they got it down to sturdy range
Carracosta has been an extreme success for me. I suggest you try out others with strudy Shell smash. Like Crustle.

Carracosta does sound like a unique Rock specimen but isn't it overkill with the defense drop from shell smash? What hits are you taking to survive and make a sweep? Do you have rain support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)