wanna dance pretty boy? A shuckieee ou team

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Before we begin...

First of I would like to thank you for reading this RMT. The team that will be put on display is one that I have recently built. Wanting to test out The offensive partnership between Tyranitar and Scizor I decided to construct A team that would let them clean up in the late game. As we all know, Tyranitar and Scizor are two ofthe biggest hitters in OU, having base attacks of 134 and 130 respectively. So when the two are wondering around in the late game, it's bascially game over.

The supporting cast brings a Zapdos, Heatran, Gengar and a Swampert to the plate. All filling specific roles that this team needed. From removing bulky waters or steel types, To an immunity the big 2 could rely on, or finally just to have a little defense with the most important move in the game.

Threw some testing, The team is one of the better offensive teams that I have ever built. Most of my good teams have been based around a defensive core. With that said, My team still has flaws some of them more noticeable during a battle. My team's biggest problem is that it struggles against a stall team. Not really having a mix attackers on the team is a problem.

The team At a first glance

The leader

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 SpDef
Relaxed nature (+Def,-Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

On A more offensive based team rocks are a must. On average the move stealth rock does nearly 200% damage per game, and changes 2hko's to a 1hko. Swampert is favorite pokemon for setting up rocks. Ice beam and earthquake are on this set for some coverage and Roar helps for some early game scouting and phazing. Or late game saving my ass. Gyarados can be trouble-some to this team and swampert is my saving grace, being able to phaze it out. Swampert was chosen over other rock users mainly for some defense, and it's phazing ability. Relaxed nature to boost it's already amazing defense stat. Swampert fit in to this team instantly, Replacing a colbur zelf lead. Being able to stay alive is amazing. And this team needed a bulky water to rely on.

The Water Killer.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP/4 Def/220 Spd/252 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power (Grass)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt

Zapdos serves A main role on this team. Removing bulky waters is the one thing it does and it does it exceptionally well. Thunderbolt is for the likes of vaporeon and Suicune, Hidden power grass is for the likes of swampert and the odd lanturn. Heatwave provides coverage to kill Magnezone (who could trap scizor) and Opposing scizor who could potentially ruin Tyranitars day. Roost is for recovery purposes, Stealth Rock does a hefty 25% on entery and Life Orb doesn't help the damage that zapdos takes. With the move roost it helps the 2nd bird of the trio stay alive for as long as I need it to. Zapdos is perfect for this team, as it serves a big role in removing walls and couters that could ruin the fun for tyranitar and scizor. Zapdos is easily a MVP on this team

The Fire Immunity

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Naive nature (+Spd,-SpDef)
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Fire Blast

Heatran is one of the best OU pokemon hands down, no questions asked. With this set I decided I would run the choice scarf set. Well having Scizor on this team, fire attacks are never hard to bait, Going to heatran to get a flash fire boost and to destory teams with fireblast is the goal. Dragon pule and earth power allow me to talk out the likes of dragonite and Opposing heatran with little to no problem. And explosion is so I can predict something that scares me and explode to kill it (blissey this ones for you). Naive nature allowes me To still be a +speed nature well not droping my attack for explosion. Hidden power elec could be used over Dragon pulse, as previously mentioned I do struggle against Gyarados, and HP elec would take care of that problem.

The Ghost

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power (FIRE)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Ghosts belong on every team, Gengar is one of the quickest, and one of the most powerful OU's. It's special attack is nothing to laugh at. Also with amazing coverage coming from focus blast, Hidden Power fire, Shadowball for stab, and thunderbolt, Gengar acts as the back up to zapdos to remove certain walls that potentially threaten Tyranitar and Scizor. Thunderbolt and hp fire remove the certain steels (skarmory magnezone bronzong) that threaten Scizor and TTar. Focus blast and shadowball are for coverage and stab purposes. I do stuggle with stall, as previously said. So this set could be changed to sub split to help me deal with that but im not sure.

That Big threat

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn

Scizor is an amazing pokemon. Scouting, Strong priority, A monster base attack, Scizor has it all. Bullet punch reaching a 135 base power becasue of stab and technician backed behind a choice band, it's just ridiculous. Scizor just gets kills, its all he does. Super power and bug bite are moves I like to use on a CB scizor, super power for the likes of blissey, and snorlax, well Bug bite allows me to use a power bug attack with staying in. destroying the rare cresselia and umbreons. I prefere not to use pursuit on this set, as I would rather have the switch advantage with uturn to keep the offensive pressure going.

The Dancer

Tyranitar (M) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP, /252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

DD tar is a set that I have always wanted to try, but never got around to it. Damn was I missing out. Reaching 550 attack with just 1 dragon dance is amazing(if my calculations are wrong I apologize). Crunch and stone edge provide stab on this set well earthquake allows me to cover more. I chose to run Earthquake over fire punch becuase i found it was more situational which i needed, And I found earthquake to be more
useful.
DD Tar can just tear threw teams in the late game, after 1 DD if your walls are gone, there is nothing you can do accept die, Babiri berry allows me to take on scizor after im set up and win. Not much else to be set about this beast, but it sweeps, sweeps for days.

In Conclusion ...

Well theres my team. there yea have it. A strong heavy offensive team.
Focuses on removing steels and bulky waters so that Tyranitar and Scizor can clean house. With this team i try to keep tyranitar to the late game, very late game, Scizor is more disposible as it can scout early for me or get a quick revenge kill. Everyone else serves a certain role, and they do it well. Any and all criticisim is welcome and gladly appreciated, if there is any way to make this team better I will do it. In advance I thank you, the smogon community

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First of all, your ttar set leaves quite a bit to be desired.
I personally agree with you that earthquake is better for coverage on ddtar, yet the only point of babiri berry (to beat scizor) is lost dont run fire punch, as stone edge will do 72.9% - 86% to bandscizor, never ohko'ing without multiple sr damages.
If you dont want to put on fire punch, i would suggest giving ttar a lum berry to let it dd against zapdos and cresselia. Also switching gengar to mysticgar, hopefully lets you defeat scizors with that, and the rest of your team is already well equipped to handle sciz, youll just want to try and scout it before you commit to ddtar trying to sweep.

Nextly, scizor SHOULD run pursuit, as your team is somewhat weak to both rotom-a and subgengar.

Also, offensive ddgyara can be nasty vs your team, as stone edge will ohko zapdos, and while it cant ohko pert, it can very quickly wear it down (adamant LO gyara at +1 does 53.9% - 63.3%). So even if you roar it out, it will find more opportunities to set up (given tran and scizor both tend to give it a turn to set up) and threaten a sweep. Your team could use a pokemon that could switch into powerful water attacks as well, but i'm not sure where you could slide this is without massive changes to your team.

you've forgotten something there. you didn't really factor in bulky grass types and other combos, shaymin will tear that team up paired with a heatran... just letting you know.
~rapey

Okey...I'm seeing massive weaknesses to stall, and Water types like Suicune / Starmie / Gyarados. Also, your Swampert lead leaves a lot to be desired on any team, but especially an offensive one like this. It loses to all the common suicide leads and does nothing to prevent SR, meaning your Zapdos is invariably going to be taking 25% damage on each switchin. The Water type weakness is pretty obvious - DDGyarados with Taunt should honestly 6-0 this team every time, since you can only hope to revenge kill it with Heatran and no reasonable player will stay in on that (plus you'll still probably lose a pokemon because you can't switch Heatran straight in or risk a Waterfall followed by a certain unstoppable sweep). Starmie OHKO's or very nearly OHKO's everything on your team, and outspeeds nearly everything, pretty simple. To make things worse, your Scizor doesn't have Pursuit meaning if you manage to bring it into Starmie at full health you can't trap it.

Stall is also a serious issue, mainly because all of your offensive pokemon are easily stopped by common stall members, but also because your more defensive and utility pokemon in Swampert and Scizor are setup fodder for the common entry hazard layers.

The main change I want to make is to replace your Tyranitar with a Shaymin (Leech Seed, Seed Flare, Hidden Power (Fire), Earth Power). DDTar is honestly a pretty bad pokemon in the current metagame and won't pull off many sweeps against well built teams. Flygon and Jirachi, 2 of the 3 most common Scarfers, both outspeed it even after 2 DD's and easily KO it. Meanwhile, it's still easily walled by Hippowdon, Swampert, Skarmory, and nearly all bulky pokemon can take a hit and do significant damage back. What Shaymin gives you is a reliable check to the bulky Waters which give you problems, and alongside Zapdos should give you enough coverage against them. It also helps against stall, especially the generally poor stall teams you will see on the ladder, since it easily beats the most common special walls on stall teams in Blissey, SpDef Tran, SpDef Hippo, and so on. You also have enough offensive presence to prevent Skarmory from setting up against you, although when using it be wary of opponents Roserade which can more or less wall you with Rest and set up hazards.

Next change, although this isn't as necessary as the previous. I'd recommend using Heatran as your lead, with a set of Stealth Rock, Earth Power, Magma Storm, and Explosion. Magma Storm is vaguely gimmicky but if it hits you have a OHKO on the ever common Azelf lead. Using Magma Storm also helps you out massively against stall, since you can trap unsuspecting Blissey and then Explode after scouting for Protect to open up a potential Zapdos sweep later on. Swampert isn't really necessary now; so here I'd replace it with a basic offensive CM Suicune. You get a much better check / counter to Heatran, Gyarados, Infernape and so on, while Tyranitar is covered adequately between Cune and Scizor.

Finally, to aid further in clearing out Blissey to aid Suicune and Zapdos, use Explosion or SubPunch on Gengar. Explosion in particular is really cool since 90% or something of Gengar nowadays are SubSplit - so Blissey will almost never Protect after switching in.

Okay that's it. I hope my suggestions help, they will give you much better overall threat coverage and should be fun to play with. Nice team, good luck :)

shuckle4ubers,

solid team man, your team seems to handle both offensive and stall teams decently. i think you are only missing a small push to finish this team's goal. your team already seems to wreck your common fwg cores and balanced teams. nonetheless, as you said in your rmt stall can get messy, but with your team's layout it will be a simple fix!

i still start off by mentioning your offensive and defensive weaknesses, and build off them to further improve your team. the offensive weaknesses i caught are the following: empoleon, dd gyarados, cm suicune, and machamp, while your defensive weaknesses are: blissey with support pokemon, forretress, roserade, and skarmory. the first change i suggest making is moving zapdos to the lead spot to further your team's momentum from the start. swampert is great, but its a slow start for a hard hitting team like yours. i would use zapdos @ choice specs | timid nature | 4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe | thunderbolt / heat wave / hidden power flying / u-turn. this lead will wreck nearly all opposing leads and prevent hazard setup from key pokemon. hidden power flying will give you a good safe move for switches and wreck the omnipresent machamp leads. it can also fare late game well against cm suicune. zapdos will also prevent roserade leads from getting two layer of toxic spikes down if you play well. to help out against stall i suggest using another exploder; gengar would fit that role well. i suggest using explosion over hidden power fire or thunderbolt. bear in mind that hidden power fire is great for killing forretress and avoiding further hazard setup, while thunderbolt koes gyarados which can potentially sweep your team. explosion will also help you against random cm suicunes and not force you to explode with heatran, your choice scarfer. as you mentioned, i suggest going with hidden power electric over dragon pulse on heatran to check gyarados; your team seems to handle dragons pretty well.

the only problems now are empoleon and skarmory. this is where it gets tricky because the pokemon that checks these has to be able to set stealth rock up too. before i continue with the risky suggestion, im going to suggest the boring one. you could simply make heatran a stealth rock set with a shuca berry, while putting a choice scarfer like flygon, jirachi, or starmie in heatran's old spot. now for the risky suggestion i would change swampert for a bronzong, like bronzong @ leftovers | sassy nature | 0 spe ivs | 252 HP / 84 atk / 172 spd | Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball / Earthquake / Hypnosis OR Light Screen OR Explosion. the last move slot is what makes him interesting, hypnosis messes with skarmory switches, light screen helps your pokemon setup and switch more safely, while explosion is an all-around check to anything annoying. with your spd evs you survive empoleon's boosted surf and can proceed to earthquake it after it has taken substitute damage. the only reason why this suggestion is the risky one is because bronzong as your hazard user will be taking hits early on, and empoleon usually appears late game. nevertheless, most of your pokemon threaten empoleon, just be careful and read your opponent's team well. also, these last few changes including the safe and risky versions may change your team a bit too much with the reward only being to check empoleon and annoy skarmory, so feel free to take them lightly.

hope this helps; good luck!

What about swapping the Swampert for a Taunt Gyarados? I realize that both Heatran and Zapdos leads fit the offensive strategy a bit better, but for some reason, if I see a team with Scizor/Gengar, there's usually a Gyarados too (although primarily with the offensive DD set).

I also agree with bubbly about DDTar being overrated. Have you considered a SD Scizor as your main sweeper? I realize this would require a few additional changes, but with SD/ Bullet Punch/ Brick Break/ Bug Bite (or Roost), you can take down pretty much anything late game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)