ORAS UU Volturn

Introduction
This is a Volturn team. That's really all you need to know, so let's get to the team.

At A Glance

Teambuilding

I wanted to build a team around all-out attacker Mega Pidgeot.

I decided to make it a Volturn team, so I added Cobalion, as it has Volt Switch for easy momentum, and pairs with Mega Pidgeot well.

Pangoro had Parting Shot, helping gain the momentum Volturn teams thrive off of, but also helping make safer switches to other Pokemon due to the attack/special attack drop. It also is a great wallbreaker, as like Cobalion, it smashes switch-ins for Pidgeot.

This team needed something that could easily take on Water-types (well, Pangoro/Mega Pidgeot can apply offensive pressure, but I needed a back-up as well as a Feraligatr check) that wasn't a huge momentum drain on the team. Thus, Heliolisk was added. It fills both of those roles extremely well, as it not only gets momentum through Volt Switch, but can drain some of the enemy's through Dry Skin (especially if it's choiced).

Dugtrio eliminates whatever Pangoro/Heliolisk can't break, and it's easy to get a free switch in, especially from Pangoro, and similar to Pangoro, it provides easy switch-ins through Memento.

When the team was almost done, I figured, "Why have all this support and free switch-ins if there's nothing for sweeping?" Thus, DD Feraligatr was added. It pairs with Dugtrio well, having good type synergy, and takes advantage of all the momentum this team can get, letting it easily clean up a team with high-powered moves and a few DDs under its belt.

A Closer Look

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet --> No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]

As I stated, I built this team around Mega Pidgeot. All-Out Attacker Pidgeot is a great wallbreaker, with No Guard Hurricane and U-Turn (and some chip damage w/ U-Turn) to keep the momentum going. It deals with most Grass types for Feraligatr and Heliolisk (well, Gatr has Ice Punch, but I mean Pidgeot is good at punching holes for Gatr). However, it does struggle against Mega Aerodactyl and anything with a Scarf that can OHKO it (Rotom-C/H especially), so the others are here to patch up the weaknesses.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Cobalion is pretty much Pidgeot's partner in crime. It sets up rocks to get more chip damage on top of U-Turn and Volt Switch damage, and it can check some answers to both Mega Pidgeot (Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Abomasnow, Empoleon, etc.) and Volturn (Krookodile mainly, though this is a weak check, although it beats Scarf generally, not taking into account Moxie boosts, if it's Band, Cobalion only 2HKOs after rocks damage while Earthquake OHKOs Cobalion, unless Cobalion switches in on a Knock Off) in general. It's a pretty good pivot too, taking Knock Offs easily and having a good defensive typing, but enough offensive presence to fit well on an offensive team.

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Pangoro is like Cobalion, but instead of just beating the main Mega Pidgeot checks and being a good pivot, Pangoro just smashes those switch-ins. It provides momentum as well through Parting Shot, giving switch-ins to Dugtrio and Feraligatr, as well as the frailer members of this team. It has Drain Punch to keep itself healthy, and Knock Off because... Knock Off. Its only big downside is that it can drain momentum due to being Choice-locked in a bad situation.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch

Heliolisk is my main Water-type check (considering all the Water types in UU), and just generally hits hard. Otherwise, I would just have to apply offensive pressure to Suicune to beat it. It beats Empoleon for Mega Pidgeot most effectively (Cobalion/Pangoro may have to take a bit of Scald damage in the process) and decently checks Rotom-H and Rotom-C for it.

EDIT: Changed Focus Blast to Thunderbolt and Choice Specs to Life Orb as suggested by Christo The Gr8 to make it a better Cune check.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
- Memento

Dugtrio eliminates whatever Mega Pidgeot check isn't already beaten by something else. It can easily get switch-ins through Volt Switch/U-Turn/Parting Shot, especially Parting Shot due to the attack lowering. Once Dugtrio's job is done, it can easily Memento to let Feraligatr switch-in and likely get a DD or two up (these two have good synergy together anyway), so even once it's trapped whatever needs to be trapped, it still has some use.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Feraligatr, a threatening sweeper that easily can clean up teams. It easily thrives off of Memento and Parting Shot support, as well as all the momentum that the teammates give Gatr. Pretty simple DD Gatr set, and its counters are easily dealt with by the other teammates. Like the others, it still has problems with Rotom-C and Rotom-H, so that's a problem.

Threat List

These two are in the same boat. They can easily revenge both Gatr and Mega Pidgeot and can get momentum through Volt Switch. Rotom-H counters Pidgeot better, though.

Outside of Cobalion and Feraligatr, there's not much that can handle this thing. Heliolisk dies to EQ and Mega Pidgeot just gets destroyed by it, and Dugtrio and Pangoro have no real chance. (Well, Pangoro can do a bit to it barring the rare Aerial Ace/Wing Attack)

Scarf is the main worry, as Mega Pidgeot can not revenge it and HJK spam just smashes most of my team, but if it's LO, then it's not as much of a worry, as I can Hurricane it/revenge kill it easier.

Importable:

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
- Memento

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Voice
- Volt Switch

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Sup man interesting team you have here I like the dugtrio to feraligatr idea however I think I can help you with your glaring aerodactly and mienshao weakness. I suggest you run forretress over cobalion. this will definately help you with your aerodacty and mienshao problems as forry can eat up hits and threaten back with gyro balls. However it doesnt take on shao as well so be weary of that. Also it provides all of the support cob has with rocks and volt switch and it can control hazards itself with spin. One thing forry does well is the ability to have slow volt switches. Slow volt switches can be really good against against mons that are faster than you and cant do much which provides you with guarunteed momentum. It will also help you out with a glaring fairy weakness that you have as florges can be of a big annoyance to your team as you have no resists to it.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Cool way of using voltturn, but as Wanka stated, you have a HUGE fairy weakness, namely forges. After rocks, every pokemon gets 2hko'd by moonblast and only 2 pokemon can beat it 1v1. Fortress is hardly a counter as it can get stalled out since Gyro does about 40%. I cannot recommend anything other than fortress since you obviously want Volt/Turn momentum. If running Heliolisk you want Life Orb over Specs since the main appeal of Helio bar Dry Skin is its colorful movepool, so a Choice Item defeats the purpose. Also you 100% Need Thunderbolt> Focus Blast, Again, the whole point of Heliolisk is to switch into bulky waters, namely Suicune. and if you only have Volt Switch, IT MAKES IT NOT A COUNTER. So i highly recommend makin those Changes to Heliolisk to maximize its viability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)