Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcarona
Type:

Classification: Sun Pokemon
Base Stats: 85/60/65/135/105/100
BST:550

Abilities:
Flame Body: The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with BURN when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon.
Hidden Ability(Available):
Swarm: When HP is below 1/3rd, Bug’s power increases to 1.5 times.

Notable Moves:

Fiery Dance
Hurricane
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz

Roost
Fire Blast
Overheat
Morning Sun
Giga Drain

General Analysis:

Arguably the best user of Quiver Dance, a move boosting Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, Volcarona was a great Pokemon in the Generation 5 metagame. Volcarona really hasn't changed this Generation, gaining only a resistance to Fairy and being able to learn Confide. It really hasn't lost much either, the only new Pokemon in OU that truly threatens it is Talonflame, which, although very powerful, can be easily checked by another Pokemon. And as always, there is Heatran who walls you unless you choose to use Hidden Power [Ground]. A new positive however, is in the form of Genesect. Genesect being back in OU (although probably not for long) gives Volcarona more usage in it's ability to reliably get a Quiver Dance boost off of the switch or because Genesect doesn't really have a OU-viable move to counter Volcarona with. Also, Bug Buzz, one of Volcarona's staple moves, now hits through Substitutes due to the fact that it is a sound-based move. I believe Volcarona will be as good as it was last Generation and will be more viable in the OU tier with the usage of Pokemon such as Aegislash and Genesect.

Potential Movesets:

Sun Goddess Amaterasu

Volcarona @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

This Volcarona has worked flawlessly on many teams that I have run. The Bold Nature ensures that it will survive more physical hits (don't think it's all powerful, it still is crushed by Stone Edge), while getting boosts from Quiver Dance. Usually this Volcarona is a perfect switch in to Genesect or Aegislash, who then switch to a Pokemon they believe completely counters Volcarona, in most cases it is Rotom-Wash. After one Quiver Dance, you easily outspeed all variants of Rotom-Wash, and the Special Defense boost ensures you won't even get 2HKO with Hydro Pump. Giga Drain is on the moveset just for any Rotom-Wash, Mega-Gyarados, and Greninja switch-ins.

Life Orb Volcarona
Suggested by Mood4food77 and Jin White

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Abilty: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast / Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain / Hurricane / Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Rock]

A more offensive approach to Volcarona. EV's are to outspeed Excadrill and it's Earthquake / Rock Slide combination. Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz for obvious reasons. Fire Blast provides more power while Fiery Dance can give a SAtk boost without the need to Quiver Dance. The final moveslot is up to you. Giga Drain for coverage, Hidden Power [Ground] for Heatrans, and Hurricane and Hidden Power [Rock] to deter any Talonflame from ruining your day.

Counters
Assault Vest Tyranitar. That's...that's it. So good
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 176-210 (43.5 - 51.9%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
Paraflinch Togekiss

Does Volcarona still have viability? Is it worth using a spot on your team for?

Last edited:
bulky volc needs a new EV spread because of excadrill, it needs to outspeed excadrill and it might need too many EVs in speed in order for it to be viable, straight special quiver dance should still be really good

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Flame Body / Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fire Blast / Fiery Dance
Giga Drain / Hurricane / Hidden Power Ground/Rock

Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz are obvious. Fire Blast provides power while Fiery Dance can give you an extra SpA boost without the need to Quiver Dance. Giga Drain can keep you healthy while Hurricane gives you an extra really powerful attack that also works really well in the rain and also hits Talonflame. It's pretty simple to use, switch in when safe, set up Quiver Dance and sweep. As usual, Volcarona is walled to death by Heatran and has that nasty 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, so using it with a Spinner and something with Earthquake is a must. Hidden Power Ground is an option to hit Heatran and other Fire types while Hidden Power Rock is another option to hit Talonflame and again, other Fire types.

Last edited:
Volcarona @ Life Orb
Swarm / Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fire Blast / Fiery Dance
Giga Drain / Hurricane
Swarm isn't viable on Volcarona at all. If it gets down to the 1/3 health range, it's pretty much over unless you can get a Giga Drain and you have Quiver Danced enough to OHKO. Flame Body makes physically attackers think twice as they could be crippled by a burn. But you're correct, Heatran does wall Volcarona no matter what it runs.

Volcarona appears to perform just as well as it has in Gen V. It still retains it's title as arguably the best Quiver Dance sweeper in the metagame, and with Genesect returning as a top standard contender, it should be able to demonstrate how effective it remains to be. I have been using the offensive Quiver Dance set to sufficient results:

Volcarona @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body/Swarm
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid

- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain

The beauty part is that Flame Body is still very useful on offensive sets in aiding to take on Genesect, which will make it think twice about U-Turning out. With a Timid Nature, after a Quiver Dance, it can outspeed even Choice Scarf variants, and in most case scenarios, when Volcarona faces a Genesect, you're bound to get a Quiver Dance up.

Swarm isn't viable on Volcarona at all. If it gets down to the 1/3 health range, it's pretty much over unless you can get a Giga Drain and you have Quiver Danced enough to OHKO. Flame Body makes physically attackers think twice as they could be crippled by a burn. But you're correct, Heatran does wall Volcarona no matter what it runs.
i thought swarm as used on offensive quiver dance volc last gen? but looking it up it doesn't seem like it was, i'll edit my post

Swarm wasn't released last Gen.

I honestly think it's a matter of preference. I think there might be a few sets that could value getting it off but for the most part, it's a damage boost if you manage to get down to low percentages. It probably would've meant more last gen when priority wasn't abundant and you weren't weak or at least neutral to the most common ones (in fact, you resisted both of them), but it's certainly not something to write off immediately as irrelevant. As a lategame sweeper, Volcarona could certainly get some use out of a Swarm boost if it needs it.

It worked last gen, and it can still work:

252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 244-291 (63.37 - 75.58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With a strong chance to OHKO after one boost. And what's Heatran going to do, besides phaze you out or status you?

One of Giga Drain's main draws is hitting Rotom-W; most of them are running full physically defensive, these days, so Bug Buzz is enough to get the job done:

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 278-329 (91.44 - 108.22%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
0+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 188-224 (60.45 - 72.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So if you want to be a dick and kill some Heatrans, you could very well run Quiver Dance / Fire Blast / Bug Buzz / HP Ground, and not be walled by every Fire type.

Volcarona is one of those "choose your counters" pokémon, with Giga Drain, HP Ground, HP Rock, Roost, even Hurricane all viable in the last slot, depending on your team composition.

Last edited:
i'll keep it, talonflame isn't a free switch-in if you carry HP rock (while it isn't with hurricane, HP rock is more reliable)

What's wrong with swarm over flame body, though? With Kang proooobably leaving, its greatest utility is gone. Even then, the opponent has no idea you don't have flame body, so the psychological factor is still there. While it isn't easy to get down to 1/3, it does happen- if the opponent doesn't switch out on your set ups, priority, switching in, there's a pretty good chance of it working.

What's wrong with swarm over flame body, though? With Kang proooobably leaving, its greatest utility is gone. Even then, the opponent has no idea you don't have flame body, so the psychological factor is still there. While it isn't easy to get down to 1/3, it does happen- if the opponent doesn't switch out on your set ups, priority, switching in, there's a pretty good chance of it working.
Kang is not the reason that you're running Flame Body. It isn't the only physical attacker in the tier. Sure, Kang is dangerous, but so is any attack-based Pokemon to Volcarona, and it has a chance of burning Genesect on the U-Turn. Obviously Swarm has its merits, but the better option is Flame Body in my opinion because it will get more usage and it helps make up for Volcarona's weak defense stat by burning the opponent.

Volcarona does not resist Fire attacks, just sayin.
Sure, but defensive Heatran can't even OHKO with AncientPower and offensive variants are OHKOd by HP Ground. If you WANT Volcarona to handle Heatran, it can. If you'd rather give it Giga Drain for bulky waters + recovery, that works too. You choose your counters.

A few pokes are going to be universally threatening to Volcarona 1v1, but Heatran's not one of them. Talonflame, CB Azumarill, Gyarados, Mega Charizard X and Y (speed tie), Chansey, and new Assault Vest bearers like TTar and Snorlax are going to make Volcarona work a lot harder for a sweep than last gen. It's not the best answer to Talonflame - and it can't take on Azumarill - but Terrakion handles most stops to Volcarona pretty damn well.

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Volcarona is just incredible. I use Lum, Fiery Dance, and Roost with 252 SpA 252 Spe Modest. If you can keep rocks, Talonflame, and Heatran away, it's unstoppable. So much power, so much bulk, and the ability to wall so many pokes on top of it...

Oh, Volcarona gained one thing this gen: Bug Buzz now bypasses Subs.

IMO, Volcarona should always run Fiery Dance. Fire blast might be more powerful, but it also misses a lot. Fiery Dance's 50% chance to boost Special Attack is incredibly helpful, and the special Attack boost far outpowers Fire Blast anyway.

I've been able to sweep bulky teams without a single Quiver Dance thanks to Fiery Dance. Fire Blast is a joke in comparison.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You mentioning Volcarona being able to counter Aegislash is wrong. On most occasions when I send out Aegislash and the opponent switches to Volcarona, it's KO'd by Shadow Ball followed by Shadow Sneak. I forgot whether I was using LO or Spooky Plate, though.

It just can't switch into Aegislash.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
252 HP / 240 Def Bold Volcarona would be able to switch into that Aegislash, offensive Volcaronas would probably get rocked.

Sure, but defensive Heatran can't even OHKO with AncientPower and offensive variants are OHKOd by HP Ground. If you WANT Volcarona to handle Heatran, it can. If you'd rather give it Giga Drain for bulky waters + recovery, that works too. You choose your counters.

A few pokes are going to be universally threatening to Volcarona 1v1, but Heatran's not one of them. Talonflame, CB Azumarill, Gyarados, Mega Charizard X and Y (speed tie), Chansey, and new Assault Vest bearers like TTar and Snorlax are going to make Volcarona work a lot harder for a sweep than last gen. It's not the best answer to Talonflame - and it can't take on Azumarill - but CB Terrakion handles most stops to Volcarona pretty damn well.
Does HP Ground work against it if it has a balloon?

I personally hate offensive volcarona. Its so horrible frail that it can barely setup on anything. The bold volcarona set punchsroom mentioned is the best one atm i believe. It can effortless switch in aegislash, scizor and genesect (post bank), big threats at the moment and its ridiculous hard to kill. Quiver Dance / Roost / Fiery Dance / Bug Buzz with 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe Bold should be the standard for now.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
No it does not. You have to hit it with another move first.

I didn't know that. Added to the OP. Why is this?
Bug Buzz is a sound move, just like Hyper Voice and Boomburst.

I don't find offensive Volc to be frail at all. It has a lot of resistances, which allow it to alternate Roost and Quiver Dance and set up on a number of things, but it obviously can't handle powerful physical hits. If you're trying to set it up on those, you're using it wrong, IMO. It's like CM Latias, in a way.

I personally hate offensive volcarona. Its so horrible frail that it can barely setup on anything. The bold volcarona set punchsroom mentioned is the best one atm i believe. It can effortless switch in aegislash, scizor and genesect (post bank), big threats at the moment and its ridiculous hard to kill. Quiver Dance / Roost / Fiery Dance / Bug Buzz with 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe Bold should be the standard for now.
This is probably exactly what I use. It's the best part of my Mono-Bug team.

The best thing is to be with a special attacker. Then you can build up Quiver Dance buffs. Move onto Roost to recover from the light amount of damage you have taken so far. Then you can sweep with Fiery Dance and Bug Buzz.

As a Volcarona user, here's some advice for opposing a Volcarona: If you switch out against one in most cases, you are already dead. If you're stuck with special attacks, you're already DEEEEAAAAAAAAAAD.

Kang is not the reason that you're running Flame Body. It isn't the only physical attacker in the tier. Sure, Kang is dangerous, but so is any attack-based Pokemon to Volcarona, and it has a chance of burning Genesect on the U-Turn. Obviously Swarm has its merits, but the better option is Flame Body in my opinion because it will get more usage and it helps make up for Volcarona's weak defense stat by burning the opponent.
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything outside of scizor that actually wants use a contact move you can get in on, but I suppose scizor is reason enough.
Still though, the idea of the swarm boost is tasty.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything outside of scizor that actually wants use a contact move you can get in on, but I suppose scizor is reason enough.
Still though, the idea of the swarm boost is tasty.
Genesect, and anything else spamming U-Turn. I think it should even work as a last ditch effort to cripple an aqua jet user as you go down. Either way the off chance to cripple an opponent is less situational than trying to get below 1/3rd health, because unless you're down that low, you have a useless ability. And when you're that low you fall quickly to priority and scarf users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)