Virizion @ Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
EVs: 168 Atk / 228 SAtk / 112 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Work Up
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Close Combat

Virizion is really underrated because it counters pokemon commonly found on rain teams. I avoided using him for a long time because I didn't want to give him focus blast since it has bad accuracy but then I decided to try a mixed virizion and he works great (all physical virizion is bad too because scald can mess you up). Still virizion by itself can't counter all water types so I needed another pokemon to help me.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

This thing can deal with pretty much any water type out there and it deals with them better than the standard rotom. Many counters to rotom depend on him knowing volt switch as his only electric move. Still I have thought about giving him another move over hp grass to deal with more threats. HP ice could help me with dragonite or signal beam could help me with celebi.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Crunch

I have been using choice t-tar for a while on every team I make and he works great. He is great at stopping people from sweeping. Pursuit is great for getting rid of those threats that keep switching. Superpower deals with heatran and a few other threats. Crunch is there because pursuit isn't always powerful enough.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Frustration
- Pursuit

Choice scarf scizor is the single most underrated strategy in the metagame. There are so many pokemon scizor normally looses to that he can beat if he has choice scarf. Choice scarf also allows me to pull off u-turn so much easier. I never really liked bullet punch so I didn't include it in the set. It could still be useful to deal with dragon dancers who can still outspeed scizor even with choice scarf.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 40 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Protect

Whenever I see a rotom on my opponents team I know he is going to switch to it as soon as I send this guy out. Thats when I hit it with facade and rotom loses half its hp. It works so often it requires almost no prediction. I don't really care about speed since gliscor is more of a defensive pokemon so no speed evs. The defense nature really helps though because gliscor is always just barely surviving things. Also if I don't max out its attack too many pokemon can take advantage of it.

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Drill Peck
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

I saw rocky helmet skarmory posted in another RMT so I decided to try it and it works great for dealing with u-turn and other physical attackers. I have only seen someone use swords dance skarmory once but I felt like being original so I decided to try it and it works great. It helps deal with ferrothorn and gliscor. It also lures and kills volcariona thanks to sturdy. Sometimes I don't even need sturdy and can just kill it when they use quiver dance when they expect me to switch. The main reason I use skarmory though is because it deals with outrage and it has stealth rock.

On Virizon, a naive nature would be better., with Life Orb instead of expert Belt.

I highly recommend choice band scizor instead of scarf.

Your Rotom is dragon set up bait.. So Hidden Power Ice is better. Virizon is enough to scare out gastrodon.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For Scizor, definitely consider Iron Head. As you are now outspeeding threats, Iron Head's flinch chance and solid STAB make it an excellent option. Non Choice Band Pursuit on Scizor is weak, and you have it on TTar already, so replace that. Having Choice pokes locked into Pursuit screams set-up.
I agree with this, at the very least choose either BP or Iron Head over an unstabbed frustration

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team, man. I really like the innovative sets you've utilized.

Anyways, I think you should consider changing Virizon's EVs up a bit. Max Speed Virizion is probably the way to go, as it sits in a great speed tier, plus, many unscarfed Pokemon such as Hydreigon can outspeed you and end your sweep, whereas Max Speed Virizion probably wouldn't let that happen. 104 Atk / 152 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive Nature is probably the way to go with the EVs, as it ensures you a bit of power in both areas, although SpA needs more of an investment than Attack, since Close Combat is mainly needed to power through stuff like Blissey. You could also potentially run Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Fire so you aren't completely walled by Dragonite, which is a staple on many Rain teams. You do lose your ability to ability to OHKO Scizor, but you can probably kill it with CC after it switches into Stealth Rock a few times.

Next up, this team has a huge Volcarona weakness, as Volcarona can easily power through Rotom-W in sun after a few boosts and Skarmory loses if Sturdy gets broken, which is as easy as Stealth Rock being up on the field. I honestly see Scizor as the most replaceable member of the team, seeing that many of its duties can be accomplished between Tyranitar and Skarmory, aside from 'Volt Turn', but I think you could possibly replace it with Choice Scarf Landorus in order to check Volcarona, while also retaining a bit of Volt-Turn synergy. Choice Scarf Landorus will always outspeed +1 Volcarona and OHKO with Stone Edge; it can also surprise enemy Dragons with HP Ice [which you mentioned give you a bit of trouble].

Finally, I think you should revert back to Defensive Skarmory, as well as giving Gliscor Taunt over Protect. Giving Taunt to Gliscor allows it to destroy Ferrothorn, which you cited as one of the reasons for using SD Skarm over standard, and you seem to have Gliscor handled between Rotom-W, Virizion and if you choose to use it, Landorus. Additionally, Taunt facilitates your ability to set up, as you can Taunt Stuff like Skarmory or SuBDD Dragonite while boosting your attack up before beating them down with a strong, boosted hit. Taunt can also help keep hazards off of your field, as Gliscor outspeeds Ferrothorn, Forretress, and most Skarmory, so you can double switch Gliscor in if you predict any one of those 3 to come in, and Taunt them before they try and set up hazards. Anyways, my reasoning for reccomending Standard Defensive Skarmory is that Dragonite could easily set up on something like Rotom-W, as lasers mentioned, and you lack anything to really wall it, as Gliscor gets set up on by it and Facade can't OHKO at +0, obviously. Defensive Skarmory is also useful for its ability to phaze stuff into Stealth Rock via Whirlwind, and check a majority of physical threats in general. Defensive Skarmory also beats Dragon Dance Scrafty, which poses a pretty big threat to your team if Scizor is down, as it outspeeds and OHKOs Virizion, TTar and Gliscor at +1 while Rotom-W is unable to OHKO it while being outsped. Your Skarmory is always 2HKO'd by +1 Hi-Jump-Kick, and always has a great chance of getting 2HKO'd by +1 Drain Punch [always a 2HKO after Rocks], while Drill Peck can't OHKO Back. Anyways, I love the unique sets you've utilized, but it's for the best to mix some standards in there in order to best prepare yourself for the many threats in the BW metagame. GL.

Sets:

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
- Brave Bird / Spikes
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Hey, cool team, man. I really like the innovative sets you've utilized.

Anyways, I think you should consider changing Virizon's EVs up a bit. Max Speed Virizion is probably the way to go, as it sits in a great speed tier, plus, many unscarfed Pokemon such as Hydreigon can outspeed you and end your sweep, whereas Max Speed Virizion probably wouldn't let that happen. 104 Atk / 152 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive Nature is probably the way to go with the EVs, as it ensures you a bit of power in both areas, although SpA needs more of an investment than Attack, since Close Combat is mainly needed to power through stuff like Blissey. You could also potentially run Hidden Power Ice over Hidden Power Fire so you aren't completely walled by Dragonite, which is a staple on many Rain teams. You do lose your ability to ability to OHKO Scizor, but you can probably kill it with CC after it switches into Stealth Rock a few times.

Next up, this team has a huge Volcarona weakness, as Volcarona can easily power through Rotom-W in sun after a few boosts and Skarmory loses if Sturdy gets broken, which is as easy as Stealth Rock being up on the field. I honestly see Scizor as the most replaceable member of the team, seeing that many of its duties can be accomplished between Tyranitar and Skarmory, aside from 'Volt Turn', but I think you could possibly replace it with Choice Scarf Landorus in order to check Volcarona, while also retaining a bit of Volt-Turn synergy. Choice Scarf Landorus will always outspeed +1 Volcarona and OHKO with Stone Edge; it can also surprise enemy Dragons with HP Ice [which you mentioned give you a bit of trouble].

Finally, I think you should revert back to Defensive Skarmory, as well as giving Gliscor Taunt over Protect. Giving Taunt to Gliscor allows it to destroy Ferrothorn, which you cited as one of the reasons for using SD Skarm over standard, and you seem to have Gliscor handled between Rotom-W, Virizion and if you choose to use it, Landorus. Additionally, Taunt facilitates your ability to set up, as you can Taunt Stuff like Skarmory or SuBDD Dragonite while boosting your attack up before beating them down with a strong, boosted hit. Taunt can also help keep hazards off of your field, as Gliscor outspeeds Ferrothorn, Forretress, and most Skarmory, so you can double switch Gliscor in if you predict any one of those 3 to come in, and Taunt them before they try and set up hazards. Anyways, my reasoning for reccomending Standard Defensive Skarmory is that Dragonite could easily set up on something like Rotom-W, as lasers mentioned, and you lack anything to really wall it, as Gliscor gets set up on by it and Facade can't OHKO at +0, obviously. Defensive Skarmory is also useful for its ability to phaze stuff into Stealth Rock via Whirlwind, and check a majority of physical threats in general. Defensive Skarmory also beats Dragon Dance Scrafty, which poses a pretty big threat to your team if Scizor is down, as it outspeeds and OHKOs Virizion, TTar and Gliscor at +1 while Rotom-W is unable to OHKO it while being outsped. Your Skarmory is always 2HKO'd by +1 Hi-Jump-Kick, and always has a great chance of getting 2HKO'd by +1 Drain Punch [always a 2HKO after Rocks], while Drill Peck can't OHKO Back. Anyways, I love the unique sets you've utilized, but it's for the best to mix some standards in there in order to best prepare yourself for the many threats in the BW metagame. GL.

Sets:

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
- Brave Bird / Spikes
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
I have been experimenting with landorus on and off so I guess I will try him again. One other thing about my skarmory that I like that I forgot to mention is that with more attack and swords dance he can actually kill some rapid spinners. I don't like brave bird on skarmory because the recoil doesn't go well with the defensive style of play I use with him (I use both offensive and defensive styles of play). Finally the standard set is just to predictable and people already know how to deal with it. I like to catch people off guard.

Also let me go into more detail about how I deal with volcarona.

1. I see volcarona on my opponents team and he sees skarmory on my team
2. I put skarmory in lead position
3. My opponent either puts volcarona in the lead position or he doesn't
4a. If he doesn't lead with volcarona he immediately switches to it because he doesn't want to take stealth rock damage
5a. I use drill peck on the switch and volcarona faints
4b. He leads with volcarona and I use drill peck killing it
5b. I possibly take damage (he could use quiver dance instead of a fire move expecting a switch) but survive with 1 hp thanks to sturdy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)