Metagame Views From The Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it quite strange to assert that sleep is not broken, or that a ban will open Pandora's box, when sleep is literally the only status in the game to have the right to a complex ban in the form of a mod...
it seems like many people here are in agreement that sleep clause mod is silly and dumb and an archaic ruling from when Rampardos and Bastiodon still roamed the earth but also it's not a choice between "allow the opponent to sleep 6 mons at once" or "keep this fossil of a complex ban in place". it can be reworked to be cart accurate as has been suggested numerous times in previous sleep clause threads. we don't have to uphold a modded version of the game and we don't have to abolish the clause entirely to keep sleep in check, there's a mod-free way of limiting sleep.

personally i think SV OU has more solid sleep absorbers than other metas can say (gliscor, ghold, just pivoting into a defensive mon to trigger sleep clause and burn turns later) and if the issue is that they can't deal with a particular abuser of sleep (valiant and darkrai) then just look at the offending pokemon imo if they really are too overwhelming for the tier.

no, don't you get it, it's a slippery slope! it'll lead to banning other status conditions and rng-related elements! you know, just like how they banned freeze and paralysis and confusion and flinch and critical hits and missing and damage rolls in bw after sleep moves clause was implemented there! remember when they totally did that? and you know how every om that implements sleep moves clause proceeds to ban every status condition one by one afterwards? guys, we have to consider the ramifications of getting rid of this absolute fucking dinosaur of a rule and replacing it with something that makes sense under current policy!
100% agreed with the overall point that sleep clause mod needs to go but i'd just like to point out for those unaware that BW sleep is a completely different beast to SV sleep and it's absolutely the most uncompetitive that sleep has ever been i don't think it's a fair comparison with what we're talkin about here

Okay Last Post From Me On This Topic I Swear !!

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
If Darkrai is causing sleep to be an issue, ban it.

If Valiant or ATales (or anything else) are causing sleep to be an issue, ban them too.

The issue with Sleep is not the status itself. The issue with Sleep is Pokemon that are strong enough to create a scenario where a free turn or two is enough to win on the spot with minimal viable counterplay. And the solution is not to chip away at these broken threats, but to ban them. There is way too much effort being spent trying to allow some of Game Freak's craziest and most powercrept mons in OU by any means possible.

Smogon mocked the people that wanted to ban Speed Boost instead of Blaziken for well over a decade. Let's not creep towards that. Ban Darkrai instead of Sleep.
Not gonna lie I think getting rid of the mod meant to keep sleep in check if it doesn't do it anymore is a more elegant solution than banning the mons. Comparing this to Speed Boost misses the bigger picture imo, as modding the game to keep a mechanic in the game does not sound more reasonable than banning mons over it to me - at this point ban the mechanic

100% agreed with the overall point that sleep clause mod needs to go but i'd just like to point out for those unaware that BW sleep is completely different beast to SV sleep and it's absolutely the most uncompetitive that sleep has ever been i don't think it's a fair comparison with what we're talkin about here
i'm not trying to compare bw sleep to sv sleep, the two are not properly comparable because bw sleep has that sleep-counter-reset bullshit. what i'm saying is that there's concrete evidence against the slippery-slope argument in the form of bw, which has had sleep moves clause for two years with no effects on other status conditions, and oms, many of which have sleep moves clause without doing anything to freeze or paralysis or whatever people are afraid they'll come for next. the argument that sleep moves clause will open up some sort of ban floodgates is completely unfounded and all evidence points to the opposite being true

Why are we even discussing sleep? Did some high ELO players (OU monarchy friends?) or OU monarchs lose a few games and go crying to the council so suddenly there is a huge urge to ban sleep? Its the first time in generations we have heard this kind of discussion (weird)
And its been over a year since people could use Hypnosis valiant.

Like what is the niche in Hypnosis Valiant and Darkrai? They already kinda suffer from 4 mss, if you add set up + hypnosis you are left with just 2 moves.

Like I dont get it. It seems someone lost a few games and started crying.

I struggle to see how is sleep different from many other RNG dependant stuff in the game everyone just accepts and acts like "it sucks, deal with it"

Why are we even discussing sleep? Did some high ELO players (OU monarchy friends?) or OU monarchs lose a few games and go crying to the council so suddenly there is a huge urge to ban sleep? Its the first time in generations we have heard this kind of discussion (weird)

Like what is the niche in Hypnosis Valiant and Darkrai? They already kinda suffer from 4 mss, if you add set up + hypnosis you are left with just 2 moves.

I struggle to see how is sleep different from many other RNG dependant stuff in the game everyone just accepts and acts like "it sucks, deal with it"
OBIOUSLY its al a PLOT by the cuncil and OU monarcs... tust me guys my sorce is that i made it up. and im not graping at staws... ok tank yu al for reding

Why are we even discussing sleep? Did some high ELO players (OU monarchy friends?) or OU monarchs lose a few games and go crying to the council so suddenly there is a huge urge to ban sleep?
Untitled618_20240110150917.png

Its the first time in generations we have heard this kind of discussion (weird)
my brother in absolute christ they linked a policy review thread from last gen at the beginning of this discussion. this debate has happened literally every generation since sleep clause mod was invented, and even at the time there were people arguing for a sleep ban instead
i maintain that hypnosis valiant is bullshit cheese also
it only takes two moves for them to sweep most of the tier, especially since they can use hypnosis to cheese through their would-be checks. darkrai can do this even more effectively, since bad dreams also chips the opponent down while they're asleep
this has never actually been the cause of a tiering discussion and i doubt it ever will
sleep's different because it's way too widespread and easy to inflict for a status condition this strong. the only stronger status condition is freeze and there's a single-digit number of mons that can have more than a 10% chance of inflicting that. sleep has moves with a 60%, 75%, and even 100% chance of inflicting it, and these moves aren't even particularly rare on viable and semi-viable mons. paralysis is infinitely more widespread, sure, but it's also significantly less bullshit because you're never guaranteed to lose a turn from it; sleep always loses you at least one turn and usually more. the default with paralysis is still being able to move; the default with sleep is not

i believe something just being heavily RNG-based does not an uncompetitive strategy make, otherwise paralysis, freeze and critical hits would be banned too. rather, for an RNG-based mechanic to be deemed uncompetitive, i have noticed that smogon tends to consider these five criteria:

1. significant enough usage and viability to where its a problem;
  2. no or limited counterplay, either by being available only through unviable strategies, available on very few viable mons, or inconsistent counterplay;
  3. a high enough chance of rewarding the user;
  4. significant effect on a match;
  5. strong on most viable pokemon that have it.

let's look at how each RNG-based mechanic fits these criteria.

paralysis fits 1, 2 and 5, it is prominent and besides the two inherent anti-status mons in :gholdengo:, :garganacl: and :hatterene: and in some cases electric-types, it has not much counterplay. however, 3 and 4 are missing - the chance of being fulpara'd is just 30%, which is going to give your opponent a few free turns in the game, yes, but overall youre likely to break through more turns than not. this makes paralysis not overbearing and not that hurtful to the target.

freeze has 1, 2, 4 and 5, but its missing a significant enough chance. the highest chance of freezing that a move can have is 10%, which, admittedly, is a lot higher than a critical hit at 4.17%, but its still not enough. on average you gotta get hit by 10 :kyurem: ice beams on a game to get frozen, and if you get hit by that many your team probably died from the damage anyways. its just not a big enough chance to where it affects enough games, sometimes you get haxxed but you wont more often than you will.

freeze in gen 1 got banned not only because number 4 is a lot more prominent, but also because a lot of pokemon run it, to the point where battles would sometimes be decided by who freezes first. this difference makes gen 1 freeze cover all of the criteria.

moody had all five, it literally made :bidoof: viable so theres no arguing here.

kings rock had all 5, and the reason is that any pokemon could run it, there was no counterplay if a mon was really fast (besides choice scarf), and even though it has the same haxx chance as ice beam, it affects all your moves, and it can be run on any pokemon, meaning those chances really stack up. roughly the same argument for bright powder.

quick claw evidently has 2. thats it.

this is why i believe its not a "slippery slope" at all; sleep has all the necessary criteria to be uncompetitive, so did all the other banned items and ability, paralysis and freeze dont.
now, as for sleep moves, there is a little more depth to it.

inaccurate immediate sleep moves fit all 5, those being hypnosis, sleep powder, sing, etc. and no, they dont have the guaranteed counterplay of sleep fodder because, as someone else explained, theyre not guaranteed to sleep, and now you lose momentum with a useless pokemon in front of the sleeper.

spore arguably fits all five, depending on whether you count "sacking sleep fodder" as proper counterplay.

effect spore and relic song only really fit 2.

yawn has 1, 3, and 5 - it definitely has counterplay in that you can just switch out, and i dont think it counts as 4 because either youre just switching out to cancel it, or you willingly decided to let your mon sleep which at that point is your own fault. off-topic, but yawn is a great way to deal with setup, so id be quite sad to see it go.

to be more specific on 5, its not just :darkrai: that runs inaccurate sleep; :iron valiant: and :venusaur: do that too, among others mentioned in the opening statement. spore is definitely a useful move on every pokemon that can use it. you could remove one sleep abuser and the next one would take its place - its not a matter of the mon being broken, because it is a *majority* of viable pokemon that its broken on, which i believe to be the deciding factor on whether a strategy is broken or if its just the mons that use it.

my opinion, with this in mind? ban immediate sleep moves whether or not theyre fully accurate, keep yawn, keep relic song, keep effect spore. thats pretty much it.

I haven’t played much recently so I haven’t experienced facing too many hypnosis Darkrai.

For people who have, do you think this strategy is actually good to the point of being potentially overpowered? Or is it more along the lines of a decently viable set that’s just really uncompetitive?

If hypnosis Darkrai is straight up super good/overpowered, then I’d learn more towards banning Darkrai.

But, if it’s not an amazing set and only works ~30% (arbitrary number) of the time, then I’d say doing nothing or maybe looking into sleep clause makes more sense. If someone plays hundreds of games and people are spamming hypnosis Darkrai on the ladder, then odds are they will get “cheesed” by it many times, even if it’s a mediocre set. That would annoy me too, but if that’s the case I’d lean more towards no action.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader

Memes aside about "muh OU monarchy", I'm going to address this post and delete anything in the future pertaining to the subject as it's clearly being posted in bad faith and isn't contributing anything to discussion.

If you are going to criticize the basis of discussion and throw out ad hominems, please at least do so with some degree of knowledge under your belt. The fact you are questioning this discussion on the basis of "what even is the niche" demonstrates that you are trying to make an assertion that is completely meaningless given the fact the niche has been spelled out numerous times in this thread and is why this is even being discussed at all. You have effectively said that anything you have to say regarding the discussion (and the council tbh) is aggressively uninformed by nature.

The purpose of this thread is for you guys to engage with our ideas and thoughts regarding the metagame and be apart of our process even more directly, and I think it's amazing that this thread can exist and provide that opportunity for the wider community. However if you are going to post your thoughts and take advantage of that liberty to insult people for no reason, please at least actually know what you're talking about and make an argument that actually addresses the core of the discussion instead of complaining over nothing.

If Darkrai had Spore, there wouldn't even be a discussion here on what the issue is...
At 60% accuracy, I don't think darkrai rolling the dice w/ Hypnosis is a problem, and there are still ways of dealing with it at +2 in the tier. Not an issue to me.

Similarly, Encore Iron Valiant gives consistently more free turns than hypnosis variants. Moreover, there is just so much stuff in the tier that can blowout a team with just a single free turn. THAT is the problem to me. Whether those turns are garnered through sleep, resist berries, tera, substitute, a lucky crit, flinch, whatever, doesn't really matter.

Getting cheesed is just "feels bad" and people can't deal w/ their emotions, so they turn to strip apart the game with desperate rationalizations on what's "healthy" and what's "cheap".

Also, i'm still confused why this is not approached purely from a numbers point of view. Why so philosophical? If we strip away all the cool art and animations, it's a game of weighted rock-paper-scissors. There is a big pile of data on how the moves are used, how frequently they are used, and on what pokemon they are used on. Why don't we look at:
  • If a move has more than a X% chance of granting a free turn, it's "cheap", or whatever you want to call it.
  • Of the cheap moves, how frequently are they used?
  • Does using a cheap move actually help you win games? Do they have value over non-cheap moves on the same pokemon?
  • Adjusted for usage, are there pokemon that are better winning games with/without cheap moves?
The analysis by Hydrametr0nice earlier in this thread is a nice starting point.

Last edited:
Memes aside about "muh OU monarchy", I'm going to address this post and delete anything in the future pertaining to the subject as it's clearly being posted in bad faith and isn't contributing anything to discussion.

If you are going to criticize the basis of discussion and throw out ad hominems, please at least do so with some degree of knowledge under your belt. The fact you are questioning this discussion on the basis of "what even is the niche" demonstrates that you are trying to make an assertion that is completely meaningless given the fact the niche has been spelled out numerous times in this thread and is why this is even being discussed at all. You have effectively said that anything you have to say regarding the discussion (and the council tbh) is aggressively uninformed by nature.

The purpose of this thread is for you guys to engage with our ideas and thoughts regarding the metagame and be apart of our process even more directly, and I think it's amazing that this thread can exist and provide that opportunity for the wider community. However if you are going to post your thoughts and take advantage of that liberty to insult people for no reason, please at least actually know what you're talking about and make an argument that actually addresses the core of the discussion instead of complaining over nothing.
So my post is bad because I disagree with the exposed ideas and dont understand why the thread is suddenly so focused in sleep ban related stuff?

Many other users have pointed already this is a complicated issue no matter how you deal with it, and Im arguing why is hypnosis now an issue when there are clearly many other luck related stuff running around, even if they arent so obvious.

Burning chances for example, paralysis chances.
You can be paralized and do nothing for 5 turns in a row and lose the game, the complete opposite is just as likely. Where do we draw the line?
There are tons of games where a crit turns an easy win into a losing game, how is that fair?
How is sleep actually different?

And what is even the usage that some consider it problematic?

I think my posts offer legit issues and have value behind the jokes you are somehow hurt about (suspicious)

Saying you will delete any of my discussion just because i disagree with the status quo just proves me right about the stablishment!

Also I struggle to see how have I insulted anyone, is censorship really the way to go with people that disagree with you? Cant you handle a joke?

it seems like many people here are in agreement that sleep clause mod is silly and dumb and an archaic ruling from when Rampardos and Bastiodon still roamed the earth but also it's not a choice between "allow the opponent to sleep 6 mons at once" or "keep this fossil of a complex ban in place". it can be reworked to be cart accurate as has been suggested numerous times in previous sleep clause threads. we don't have to uphold a modded version of the game and we don't have to abolish the clause entirely to keep sleep in check, there's a mod-free way of limiting sleep.
Would like to throw my hat in the ring one last time and say sleep clause mod is really cool and a good idea that should stay. I know discussions on this have been geared towards potentially coming up with another mod that could replace sleep mod clause, which I am potentially okay with. But reworking the mod doesn't seem like it would fix any of the issues with the mod in-place. I personally don't see what's so archaic about sleep clause, its relatively easy to learn and understand as anyone who has played in-game and then switched to showdown (all of us) can tell you.

I know we all want 'Cart-accuracy' but I really don't understand why it is becoming a rule that drives our decision making instead of simply a guideline we use to drive our implementation. Should we try to generally be as close to the base games? Yes. But that does not mean we need to perfectly mirror them to a T. What we have here is an opportunity to create a more playable version of the game than currently exists on cart. Getting rid of sleep as a mechanic hurts way too many mons in the game, yet allowing it to be as destructive as it is is also wrong. Hence sleep clause. IF we were to replace this mod with one that disallowed the clicking of sleep powder after a sleep, it would be able to be replicated on cart yes, but we remove plays like sleeping someone out of a wake up. We also add in a ton of conflictions mentioned before in posts about this ie Encore or Choice lock into Spore, Spore PP that hasn't been used but is unable to be used either.
I get that we want to be as cart accurate as possible but holding us to that like its a HARD RULE THAT CANNOT BE BROKEN EVER EVER EVER is just super restricting and unnecessary. We aren't really achieving true cart accuracy anyways unless we removed the battle log, but we wouldn't do that because its a nice QOL feature and can *technically* be replicated. But it also *techincially* isnt replicated since we're not forcing the player to write everything down: they have WAY less to focus on. Like I said a good QOL feature but it just gives players playing on showdown a pure advantage over those playing on cart. Ik 'mod' sounds scary to some but there is a big difference between sleep clause mod and changing moves entirely at the pure whim of the council. And if the introduction of another mechanic would come along with tons of development and viable counterplay in the same way sleep has after 25 years of pokemon, I would welcome another change to OU to give it the patch it needs to remain as a strategy in OU.

no, don't you get it, it's a slippery slope! it'll lead to banning other status conditions and rng-related elements! you know, just like how they banned freeze and paralysis and confusion and flinch and critical hits and missing and damage rolls in bw after sleep moves clause was implemented there! remember when they totally did that? and you know how every om that implements sleep moves clause proceeds to ban every status condition one by one afterwards? guys, we have to consider the ramifications of getting rid of this absolute fucking dinosaur of a rule and replacing it with something that makes sense under current policy!
Funny this is brought up as I think calling for the removal of sleep mod clause due to it not being cart accurate is also a slippery slope fallacy. Otherwise I see no valid complaint against sleep clause mod other than 'it breaks da rules'. Like *why* is it bad that something exists that isn't able to be replicated on cart? I don't understand

To actually respond to that last post tho, banning sleep didn't lead to the banning of other rng-related elements. But regarding our current criticisms of sleep being an RNG-related element, it would absolutely be a double standard to ban sleep because of its variability due to RNG, and not consider the many many other elements that exist in pokemon that cause games to be as variable due to RNG.

Last edited:

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
To clarify this since I don't know if I explained it well enough in the previous post:

We're not "suddenly looking into sleep". We've effectively taken a decision at the start of every generation that unfettered sleep will be restricted to the "nerfed" version of Sleep Clause, and that means we've already been forced to take action on the sleep mechanic. The reason I'm bringing it back up is because I think that the clause has existed for so long that we've lost sight of why it was introduced in the first place - limiting defensive mons to one sleep works decently, and limiting offensive threats that are otherwise unappealing to one sleep also works because you're basically trading one dead (but still alive) for another dead slot (imagine doing anything useful with Breloom after its already Spored something). Since the sleep users from old gens all fit one of these molds (or the third one I mentioned where they're mons that are designated to break everything without needing to sleep anything), playing with Sleep Clause in old gens gives the impression that the nerf at least "works" for preventing the aspects of unrestricted sleep that made it broken all those years ago. Gen 9 threw us multiple sleep users that fit a new mold - the three mons I talk about throughout the post (not just Darkrai) are strong, genuinely fast, already decent offensive mons before factoring in sleep, and can function well enough with the reduced coverage to easily run a sleep set. As it turns out, offensive mons that start off as decent without sleep, become actual potential issues with a sleep move.

As I also said in the other post, we did get to see a solid 2 weeks of Darkrai in action where basically no one on the high ladder thought Hypnosis was good, and this is what led to it being called midrai in the first place - it was legitimately worse than Ting-Lu, Gambit, Moon, Meowscarada, Weavile, and probably Samu-H too as a dark type during those first two weeks, and in the last week it has maybe skipped over two of those mons (mostly it went from being an honest mon to cheese though). I think the narrative that has been created around this situation shows two things:

1) People are really distrustful of former Ubers. I mean, Darkrai is just an honest little guy, he has dreams like the rest of us (ok im sorry). Jokes aside, the gap between where Darkrai was at when people weren't using sleep, to the way people talk about it now should raise some alarm bells about sleep and the effectiveness of Sleep Clause. I think people would see the huge jump from mid B rank level mon to broken candidate much more easily if they weren't still holding onto the idea that an old Uber simply has to have something special over a modern OU pokemon. Personally the standard I like to use when I need to figure out if a new fast special attacker is broken is the Dragapult test - would I struggle to handle this more than I currently struggle to handle Boots Pult and Specs Pult in the same conditions. In the case of Darkrai I quickly arrived at the answer "no this is not more scary than Pult" during the 2 week period mentioned earlier where Hypnosis wasnt a thing to worry about.

2) People have not been facing Lilli-H. Sleep Powder Lilli on sun is getting insane value pretty consistently, with recent trends on high ladder sun teams focusing more on offensive power over the old sun teams with more backbone. This shift in the sun archetype, as well as the Triple Axel buff and the downturns of Defensive Ghold, Zapdos, and even Moltres to an extent have allowed Lilligant to go nuts - it fits really snugly onto this style of team as a way to punish early Tera Waters against Wake/Gouging Fire while acting as an extra breaker/speed control option that can sleep physdef walls like Skarm for common teammates like Gambit. As someone who's been keeping track of the performance of both sleep Lilli-H and HypnoRai, my assessment is that Lilli-H is more consistent at having a high performance game, while Darkrai is more likely to outright 6-0. This recent trend was enough to blow the idea of Darkrai being the problem out of the water for me - it's the main thing that made me look into the differences between Gen 9's sleep users and old gen sleep users in the first place. Admittedly, I have been deliberately cagy about exact details of what Lilligant is doing right now, that's mostly because it's not my place to reveal other players' alts or showcase their work, so you're just gonna have to trust my explanations of how Lilligant operates and why it's so damn effective (in a cheesy way) right now.

Now for something that is tangentially related to this being bigger than Darkrai - CM HypnoHex Valiant isnt just cheese fish nonsense, it is legitimately one of the top Valiant sets right now, and a large part of the reason for this is because it's a spin-off of a common Valiant blueprint. CM Booster Energy Valiant has been able to work with Moonblast + Shadow Ball coverage for a while now, and in the past we've seen various picks from its utility movepool used to supplement this coverage. Three of the most dangerous variants of this blueprint featured Encore/Taunt/Substitute as the last move with slightly different use cases:

Encore gives Valiant more opportunities to set up, + it allows Valiant to Terastalize more freely without being automatically revenge killed by Sucker Punch.

Taunt allows Valiant to wear down certain defensive mons like Gliscor/Toxapex/Skeledirge which would otherwise be able to put a dent in Valiant's sweeping potential.

Substitute mixes some aspects of both, losing the ability to wear down some of the defensive mons that I mentioned, but keeping the ability to dodge Sucker Punch.

Then we have HypnoHex Val - which has some of these non-luck based advantages such as dodging Sucker Punch and smashing Gliscor with Tera Ghost Hex, while maintaining the potential to break through Pex/Dirge/Spdef Corv which the other variants really struggle to do. Without factoring in HypnoHex, every time you add a CM Valiant to your team you are forced to make a building decision about what matchups you want to smash, what matchups you want to be ok in, and what matchups you're okay with being useless against. It's a legitimate skill-based decision that can tell you something about how good of a builder someone is. HypnoHex Val on the other hand, is basically taking matchups that the Valiant user has decided not to cover, situations where Val would have practically 0 chance of breaking, and offering a chance (sometimes 20 percent, sometimes 40 percent) that u actually win this matchup instead.

This is a big issue that people are missing when they talk about the non-awful offensive sleep users - running sleep trades in the concept of making decisions that balance your matchup spread, in favour of getting a much wider matchup spread (even if some of it needs luck). Meanwhile, the only way that the opposing player will ever get to cash in on these decisions is to get lucky enough to not get lucked. In some cases, the combination of setup + coverage + sleep has the potential to cover so much ground in the meta that the only reasonable counterplay from the other end is to beat them in the luck minigame. This also marks a big difference between Sleep and other forms of RNG - even the most relevant para users like Home/DLC 1 Zapdos generally aren't able to force decent odds to break past their defensive answers. Even if Zapdos ran into a Gking with no supplementary counterplay, it's still harder for Zapdos to Twave Hurricane its way through a Gking than it is for a Darkrai/Iron Valiant to hit a Hypnosis and then get through basically anything with a 2 or 3 turn sleep. Part of managing RNG in this game is that you usually get to make choices that can affect how much RNG you have to deal with. I know players that would never use Hydro Pump unless the mon in question doesnt learn Surf - but a decent Hypnosis user can break designated checks with a 2 turn sleep, which means that the Hypnosis user can force their way through sturdy checks at the same odds as a Hydro miss. 40 percent odds to break through a regular answer, or 20 percent odds to break through strong answers, is a high percentage compared to other situations where you are forced to deal with RNG.

To circle back to the original points, I don't think that Sleep Moves Clause should be treated as "extra action". In my view, the premise of "why should we ban an entire status" is faulty - we're messing with the intended mechanic of sleep either way, so the focus should be on the pros and cons of Sleep Clause vs Sleep Moves Clause as a solution to unrestricted sleep. My honest assessment of the main changes from Sleep Moves Clause is as follows:

- Darkrai/Iron Valiant/Lilli-H go from borderline broken cheese to honest mons that are basically guaranteed to stay in the meta
- Amoonguss goes from its current ranking to somewhere in C. This is based off of the utility of its typing and Toxic, as well as its proven use case on DLC 1 stall (where it runs Toxic over Spore). It also loses any cheese associated with Red Card + Spore.
- Breloom goes from its current ranking to unviable (still the best featured shitmon of all time though)
- Venusaur stays about the same (prefers extra coverage to sleep moves anyway)
- Ninetales gets a tiny bit worse (though I think its niche is mostly contained in the instant dual screens + weather resetting + snow setting)
- Venomoth gets fucked (get owned hellom)
- Torkoal gets a bit worse if the ban is done in the same way as Sleep Moves Clause in other metas, since Yawn gets banned (Tork would likely switch over to Will-O-Wisp which it has run before on some teams)

For me, this is an easy net positive change when you compare this to the tradeoffs made with Sleep Clause. Originally, the idea behind Sleep Clause was that you could nerf sleep well enough that the annoying aspects of it wouldn't be worth complaining about, while still being able to preserve the niches of mons that relied on sleep. Regardless of whether this is enough reasoning to justify a nerf instead of a ban, the reasoning itself is much less applicable nowadays when there's 3 A-/B+ level mons that are causing problems due to sleep (Lilli is super underranked because word haven't traveled on the recent Lilligant suns yet), while the mons that might be screwed over by a sleep ban are increasingly irrelevant. At this point, even banning one of Darkrai or Valiant in order to preserve Sleep Clause literally takes more away from the metagame than replacing Sleep Clause with Sleep Moves Clause, which would kinda defeat the point of having Sleep Clause in the first place.

So my post is bad because I disagree with the exposed ideas and dont understand why the thread is suddenly so focused in sleep ban related stuff?

Many other users have pointed already this is a complicated issue no matter how you deal with it, and Im arguing why is hypnosis now an issue when there are clearly many other luck related stuff running around, even if they arent so obvious.

You can be paralized and do nothing for 5 turns in a row and lose the game, the complete opposite is just as likely. Where do we draw the line?
There are tons of games where a crit turns an easy win into a losing game, how is that fair?

I think my posts offer legit issues and have value behind the jokes you are somehow hurt about (suspicious)

Saying you will delete any of my discussion just because i disagree with the status quo just proves me right about the stablishment!

Also I struggle to see how have I insulted anyone, is censorship really the way to go with people that disagree with you? Cant you handle a joke?
Preach!! This is the hero we need!

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
your post is bad because you haven't actually read what this thread's purpose is and it's pretty obvious

There's a reason this thread is focused on Sleep at the moment, and it's because of its inherent complexity as a topic. I never once said that it is an open and shut case. Sleep has been mentioned as a pestilence numerous times this generation and it's been recognized inter-generationally as a very distinctly volatile mechanic such that it has been historically claused, creating precedent that distinguishes its level of variance from other statuses. Why we are talking about it now is because it has come to a head with Darkrai's release in the tier to put a greater spotlight on it and with an uptick in Focus Sash Hypnosis Darkrai usage. There is your tl;dr since you don't want to read the thread to get the answer without me putting you on blast.

you would know if you read the thread. see a trend here?

naw I see them, you're just not funny. you're derailing a serious discussion with bad faith posts that make the same jokes over and over again that haven't been funny for months lol

That's the last response I'm making regarding this. Please read the thread before re-engaging, thanks

To clarify this since I don't know if I explained it well enough in the previous post:

We're not "suddenly looking into sleep". We've effectively taken a decision at the start of every generation that unfettered sleep will be restricted to the "nerfed" version of Sleep Clause, and that means we've already been forced to take action on the sleep mechanic. The reason I'm bringing it back up is because I think that the clause has existed for so long that we've lost sight of why it was introduced in the first place - limiting defensive mons to one sleep works decently, and limiting offensive threats that are otherwise unappealing to one sleep also works because you're basically trading one dead (but still alive) for another dead slot (imagine doing anything useful with Breloom after its already Spored something). Since the sleep users from old gens all fit one of these molds (or the third one I mentioned where they're mons that are designated to break everything without needing to sleep anything), playing with Sleep Clause in old gens gives the impression that the nerf at least "works" for preventing the aspects of unrestricted sleep that made it broken all those years ago. Gen 9 threw us multiple sleep users that fit a new mold - the three mons I talk about throughout the post (not just Darkrai) are strong, genuinely fast, already decent offensive mons before factoring in sleep, and can function well enough with the reduced coverage to easily run a sleep set. As it turns out, offensive mons that start off as decent without sleep, become actual potential issues with a sleep move.

As I also said in the other post, we did get to see a solid 2 weeks of Darkrai in action where basically no one on the high ladder thought Hypnosis was good, and this is what led to it being called midrai in the first place - it was legitimately worse than Ting-Lu, Gambit, Moon, Meowscarada, Weavile, and probably Samu-H too as a dark type during those first two weeks, and in the last week it has maybe skipped over two of those mons (mostly it went from being an honest mon to cheese though). I think the narrative that has been created around this situation shows two things:

1) People are really distrustful of former Ubers. I mean, Darkrai is just an honest little guy, he has dreams like the rest of us (ok im sorry). Jokes aside, the gap between where Darkrai was at when people weren't using sleep, to the way people talk about it now should raise some alarm bells about sleep and the effectiveness of Sleep Clause. I think people would see the huge jump from mid B rank level mon to broken candidate much more easily if they weren't still holding onto the idea that an old Uber simply has to have something special over a modern OU pokemon. Personally the standard I like to use when I need to figure out if a new fast special attacker is broken is the Dragapult test - would I struggle to handle this more than I currently struggle to handle Boots Pult and Specs Pult in the same conditions. In the case of Darkrai I quickly arrived at the answer "no this is not more scary than Pult" during the 2 week period mentioned earlier where Hypnosis wasnt a thing to worry about.

2) People have not been facing Lilli-H. Sleep Powder Lilli on sun is getting insane value pretty consistently, with recent trends on high ladder sun teams focusing more on offensive power over the old sun teams with more backbone. This shift in the sun archetype, as well as the Triple Axel buff and the downturns of Defensive Ghold, Zapdos, and even Moltres to an extent have allowed Lilligant to go nuts - it fits really snugly onto this style of team as a way to punish early Tera Waters against Wake/Gouging Fire while acting as an extra breaker/speed control option that can sleep physdef walls like Skarm for common teammates like Gambit. As someone who's been keeping track of the performance of both sleep Lilli-H and HypnoRai, my assessment is that Lilli-H is more consistent at having a high performance game, while Darkrai is more likely to outright 6-0. This recent trend was enough to blow the idea of Darkrai being the problem out of the water for me - it's the main thing that made me look into the differences between Gen 9's sleep users and old gen sleep users in the first place. Admittedly, I have been deliberately cagy about exact details of what Lilligant is doing right now, that's mostly because it's not my place to reveal other players' alts or showcase their work, so you're just gonna have to trust my explanations of how Lilligant operates and why it's so damn effective (in a cheesy way) right now.

Now for something that is tangentially related to this being bigger than Darkrai - CM HypnoHex Valiant isnt just cheese fish nonsense, it is legitimately one of the top Valiant sets right now, and a large part of the reason for this is because it's a spin-off of a common Valiant blueprint. CM Booster Energy Valiant has been able to work with Moonblast + Shadow Ball coverage for a while now, and in the past we've seen various picks from its utility movepool used to supplement this coverage. Three of the most dangerous variants of this blueprint featured Encore/Taunt/Substitute as the last move with slightly different use cases:

Encore gives Valiant more opportunities to set up, + it allows Valiant to Terastalize more freely without being automatically revenge killed by Sucker Punch.

Taunt allows Valiant to wear down certain defensive mons like Gliscor/Toxapex/Skeledirge which would otherwise be able to put a dent in Valiant's sweeping potential.

Substitute mixes some aspects of both, losing the ability to wear down some of the defensive mons that I mentioned, but keeping the ability to dodge Sucker Punch.

Then we have HypnoHex Val - which has some of these non-luck based advantages such as dodging Sucker Punch and smashing Gliscor with Tera Ghost Hex, while maintaining the potential to break through Pex/Dirge/Spdef Corv which the other variants really struggle to do. Without factoring in HypnoHex, every time you add a CM Valiant to your team you are forced to make a building decision about what matchups you want to smash, what matchups you want to be ok in, and what matchups you're okay with being useless against. It's a legitimate skill-based decision that can tell you something about how good of a builder someone is. HypnoHex Val on the other hand, is basically taking matchups that the Valiant user has decided not to cover, situations where Val would have practically 0 chance of breaking, and offering a chance (sometimes 20 percent, sometimes 40 percent) that u actually win this matchup instead.

This is a big issue that people are missing when they talk about the non-awful offensive sleep users - running sleep trades in the concept of making decisions that balance your matchup spread, in favour of getting a much wider matchup spread (even if some of it needs luck). Meanwhile, the only way that the opposing player will ever get to cash in on these decisions is to get lucky enough to not get lucked. In some cases, the combination of setup + coverage + sleep has the potential to cover so much ground in the meta that the only reasonable counterplay from the other end is to beat them in the luck minigame. This also marks a big difference between Sleep and other forms of RNG - even the most relevant para users like Home/DLC 1 Zapdos generally aren't able to force decent odds to break past their defensive answers. Even if Zapdos ran into a Gking with no supplementary counterplay, it's still harder for Zapdos to Twave Hurricane its way through a Gking than it is for a Darkrai/Iron Valiant to hit a Hypnosis and then get through basically anything with a 2 or 3 turn sleep. Part of managing RNG in this game is that you usually get to make choices that can affect how much RNG you have to deal with. I know players that would never use Hydro Pump unless the mon in question doesnt learn Surf - but a decent Hypnosis user can break designated checks with a 2 turn sleep, which means that the Hypnosis user can force their way through sturdy checks at the same odds as a Hydro miss. 40 percent odds to break through a regular answer, or 20 percent odds to break through strong answers, is a high percentage compared to other situations where you are forced to deal with RNG.

To circle back to the original points, I don't think that Sleep Moves Clause should be treated as "extra action". In my view, the premise of "why should we ban an entire status" is faulty - we're messing with the intended mechanic of sleep either way, so the focus should be on the pros and cons of Sleep Clause vs Sleep Moves Clause as a solution to unrestricted sleep. My honest assessment of the main changes from Sleep Moves Clause is as follows:

- Darkrai/Iron Valiant/Lilli-H go from borderline broken cheese to honest mons that are basically guaranteed to stay in the meta
- Amoonguss goes from its current ranking to somewhere in C. This is based off of the utility of its typing and Toxic, as well as its proven use case on DLC 1 stall (where it runs Toxic over Spore). It also loses any cheese associated with Red Card + Spore.
- Breloom goes from its current ranking to unviable (still the best featured shitmon of all time though)
- Venusaur stays about the same (prefers extra coverage to sleep moves anyway)
- Ninetales gets a tiny bit worse (though I think its niche is mostly contained in the instant dual screens + weather resetting + snow setting)
- Venomoth gets fucked (get owned hellom)
- Torkoal gets a bit worse if the ban is done in the same way as Sleep Moves Clause in other metas, since Yawn gets banned (Tork would likely switch over to Will-O-Wisp which it has run before on some teams)

For me, this is an easy net positive change when you compare this to the tradeoffs made with Sleep Clause. Originally, the idea behind Sleep Clause was that you could nerf sleep well enough that the annoying aspects of it wouldn't be worth complaining about, while still being able to preserve the niches of mons that relied on sleep. Regardless of whether this is enough reasoning to justify a nerf instead of a ban, the reasoning itself is much less applicable nowadays when there's 3 A-/B+ level mons that are causing problems due to sleep (Lilli is super underranked because word haven't traveled on the recent Lilligant suns yet), while the mons that might be screwed over by a sleep ban are increasingly irrelevant. At this point, even banning one of Darkrai or Valiant in order to preserve Sleep Clause literally takes more away from the metagame than replacing Sleep Clause with Sleep Moves Clause, which would kinda defeat the point of having Sleep Clause in the first place.
I understand what you are saying and I think this is a thoughtful analysis of the issue and potential impact, so thank you.

BUT, can you please provide a definition of "Cheese" and of "Honest", because it seems like you and others are ascribing some degree of morality to these terms, with one being undesirable. How can an impartial observer measure these qualities? Are they based on some expected value of outcomes? A quality of play? A certain je ne sais quoi lol?

Further, you use the word "decent" a few times to describe both the offensive pokemon that may use these moves, as well as the odds of breaking through a defensive stop. i.e. paralysis odds are "indecent", whereas hypnosis odd are. What does that mean in both of these contexts? A combination of speed and power? A specific likelihood?

I think it is a very prickly pear to be poking what constitutes "valid" or acceptable play. The game is the game; there's no right way to play it. If we want to bend the rules because we don't like a particular outcome, then OK, but let's be honest with ourselves. (and if there is some objective measure, then let's set that and judiciously and unilaterally apply it across all elements of the game!)

Last edited:
My only input is that regardless of if action is taken on the moves, mons, both, or neither is that I think Sleep Clause in its current state should be re-evaluated regardless. Fundamentally Sleep Clause alters how mons with Sleep moves play because the consequences of their Sleep moves while something is inflicted already is, meaning it will cause games to play out differently than Cart-with-our-ruleset at a base level, such as the oft-mentioned "Spore in case they wake up this turn" Amoongus interaction.

The reason I say Sleep mod needs re-evaluation on this basis, completely irrespective of what we do for anything else about Sleep, is that it is one facet in which the decision making balance and direction is changed rather than the same but with information more conveniently available. Given how much 1 turn can matter in most Gens and especially this one, affecting the option branches with whether Sleep is "legal" to click on an already-sleeping target can legitimately snowball/butterfly-effect the outcome of a battle in a non-negligible number of scenarios.

I specify this because I want this to be its own discussion, not conflated with "Yes ban Sleep" or "No, don't touch Darkrai" as courses of action. Sleep Clause mod as currently implemented affects the interaction of things in the tier, as opposed to just WHAT is in the tier to interact with each other.

IF we were to replace this mod with one that disallowed the clicking of sleep powder after a sleep, it would be able to be replicated on cart yes, but we remove plays like sleeping someone out of a wake up.
this feels like a good argument for abolishing sleep clause mod then, as this is not a play you could make in a cart tournament with a sleep clause ruleset. this is a strategy exclusive to the sim and considering the tiering policy framework states that we must "play, to the best of our simulator's capabilities, with the mechanics given to us on the cartridge", it seems bizarre that we're now introducing simulator-exclusive strategies you could not replicate on cart.

heck, even freeze clause mod in RBY / GSC could theoretically be replicated on cart, provided the match is replayed 1:1 once a second freeze occurs. it'd take an exceptionally long time and would be inconvenient and unenforceable in an actual tournament but it is theoretically something that can be done - showdown just skips that step because we're on a simulator. losing a turn due to clicking spore twice is not something that can occur in the actual games, and it's a really weird outlier to the first rule of tiering policy
We aren't really achieving true cart accuracy anyways unless we removed the battle log, but we wouldn't do that because its a nice QOL feature and can *technically* be replicated.
like you say, this can technically be replicated by an impartial judge, so it's not breaking tiering policy any more than other conveniences we're given through the simulator.

i agree wholeheartedly that sleep is just an RNG based mechanic in a game of RNG based mechanics and not something i'd personally like to see action taken on at this time but i also think that a mod that introduces a strategy unreplicable through a cartridge clause is a bit bizarre and i can't say i see much of a reason for it when a non-mod alternative (graying out sleep moves once an opposing pokemon is already asleep) exists and works fine besides "the old way works fine too" (when i think if there's this many posts in here saying how we shouldn't mod the game, it doesn't work fine and surely some people take issue with the clause's current implementation)

I haven’t played much recently so I haven’t experienced facing too many hypnosis Darkrai.

For people who have, do you think this strategy is actually good to the point of being potentially overpowered? Or is it more along the lines of a decently viable set that’s just really uncompetitive?

If hypnosis Darkrai is straight up super good/overpowered, then I’d learn more towards banning Darkrai.

But, if it’s not an amazing set and only works ~30% (arbitrary number) of the time, then I’d say doing nothing or maybe looking into sleep clause makes more sense. If someone plays hundreds of games and people are spamming hypnosis Darkrai on the ladder, then odds are they will get “cheesed” by it many times, even if it’s a mediocre set. That would annoy me too, but if that’s the case I’d lean more towards no action.
From personal experience, I don't think Hypno Rai is that good. Part of it comes from the players using it, but Hypnosis on a fast mon like Darkrai has the general negative effect of becoming a Dice roll on a mon that elects to stay in.

Take a weakened Meowscarada + Pex core for example. You decide to stay in since Meowscarada is going to die anyways and Darkrai goes for Hypnosis instead, anticipating the Pex. What tends to happen is that it either misses the Hypnosis & gets chunked for a decent amount by U-Turn as you swap into Pex or it hits the Hypnosis, turning it into a dice roll of whether Darkrai can even setup safely or not (since 1 turn of sleep has already gone by), & lets your Pex come in for free on an anticipated attack or Nasty Plot. This example might not be the best, but I think it gets the general point across of the risk of using Hypnosis.

Personally, I find that a Darkrai that runs Hypnosis to be far more managable than non-Hypno Darkrai because that means its not running important coverage for other match-ups, whether it be Ice Beam for Ting-Lu, Sludge Bomb for Clefable, etc. Psyshock and Wisp are other scary moves Rai could be running that I am more afraid of than Hypnosis.

I want to preface this with I haven't played sleep/darkrai "cheese", I think relying on gambles is a risky strategy and I'm not comfortable taking that chance. But I still think sleep is healthy for the game. If we want to change the current complex ban it should be replaced by another complex solution, not banning a status altogether. Let's be real, sleep is RNG in an RNG game. A chance to hit, and a random turns of sleep. Just like para, freeze, confusion and infaturation.

Now I'm going to say that I really like sleep, especially in yawn, yawn is a wonderful way of removing the RNG aspect and providing a choice to the player. Sleep is an easy way to deal with both stall and HO teams. Being able to shut down a key defensive wall or offensive threat is important to any team. Providing a powerful comeback mechanic to any team that wants to gamble for the hit. The probability of getting the correct set of actions (hitting hypnosis and a 2-3 turn sleep) is .6 (hypnosis accuracy) x .66 (the chance of a 2-3 turn sleep [best outcome]) = 0.396, or 39.6%. So statistically speaking, there is a 39.6% chance your opponent can win the game off of one hypnosis sleep. I'm ignoring spore because what the hell is amoongus or brute bonnet going to do that wrecks the meta? Funnily enough, this 39.6%. Compare this chance to hitting a Thunder Wave and getting a full para .9 x .25 = 22.5% that it is to paralyze flinch. Putting that into perspective that is a 17.1% difference, which I can see why so many players have an issue with sleep. It feels bad in both para and sleep so why, if sleep is such a problem, wouldn't people react? If this 17.1% sleep is such a meta warping aspect of the game, we would see an appropriate response in the meta (ie: chesto/lum, sleep talk, vital spirit/insomnia, magic bounce) but I haven't seen a single tech coming from an opponent (1300-1500 player).

Before I say my solution to the problem, I want to make an argument for the current clause. If one mon is put to sleep, that's it the cheese is gone. No more sleep cheese from your opponent. Does it allow for step up, yes, but that lowers the amount of moves to two different coverage moves on the mon. Now I don't want to say that's the opportunity cost of running sleep/status move because no one seems to take that argument seriously anymore. But if you're banking your win chance on a 60-50% hit, with the hopes that they get more than a 1 turn sleep, you're playing with a mad amount of luck to make it a viable strategy. Being limited to one slept pokemon keeps the status in line and assures you that it can not sleep you again whilst it is still sleeping.

A clever solution to fix the current sleep clause that I believe can work is to show the amount of turns that mon will be asleep. This could show up in the information screen only to the affected player. This way it allows the disadvantaged player to have a more informed decisioned the following turn. instead of including the risk of a one turn wake up, they can make decisions to or switch or to stay in. Another solution, albeit stupid, is to make keep the next status move have a chance to fail. Design wise, the pokemon that used the sleep move could have gotten a little drowsy themselves so that could impair their next status move. Sure its a little out there but if we want to change the old rules for the newer generations why don't we go all out and make it our own.

Overall, I don't disagree with peoples frustrations with sleep, but that's no reason to ban the status entirely. It can provide advantages if a team is behind, just like a crit, flinch or paras. I'm not trying to say banning sleep will be a slippery slope btw.

[EDIT]
After reading some comments posted after I started writing this, I have no problem with banning Darkrai because of how sleep focused his kit is and how fast it is. I'm trying to make a case that just because Darkrai is abusing it, doesn't mean the whole thing has to be banned and removed.

Last edited:
well, there are certainly wrong ways to play it, and i think "outright modding the game to nerf a mechanic instead of banning it" falls into that category
I get that banning things is a lot easier, but why should we take away diversity in game plays when we already have a complex ban in place for this mechanic. Like you said earlier, its time to change the old rules to reflect the newer play styles. Why not just make a newer, shiny, complex ban?

I've made my opinion clear before to people making fun of it, but I don't really care I'll say it again:

We cannot choose and pick when to be cartridge accurate, otherwise we ship-of-theseus our way into a corner and into a change grayzone.

Sleep Mod Clause is a stain on official formats, and should be removed. There are some high level players who like to say when it's brought up "who cares it's our game", in which case you can open up to any number of changes.

Considering the push towards gen homogenity and trying to follow simplicity and avoid mechanic changes at all cost (ie. Terapagos cannot Terastilize in battle, which actually can be followed in a cartridge game, unlike Sleep Mod Clause); the fact that we STILL have Sleep Mod Clause is absurd.

Delete dat shit right now. And if people cannot fathom the game working with it gone, then axe Sleep moves while you're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)