Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
just double checking, i read somewhere that you can only mega-evolve once...so even if you switch your mega out, it's back to it's regular form, yeah?

What that means is that you can't Mega Evolve multiple Pokemon in one match. Ingame, it also means if your Mega gets KOed and you revive it, it'll be back in its regular form and you can't change it back.

How would you all tier the megas?
Super Good: Mewtwo (both), Blaziken, Gengar, Lucario, Mawile

Good: Alakazam, Absol, Aggron, Blastoise, Charizard (both), Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Scizor

Less Good: Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Venusaur

Original is Better: Abomasnow, Heracross, Tyranitar

I'll edit this as more info comes out.

It needs lefties and some speed investment for all of its sets, neither of which can be done by its Mega. Also, its tanking abilities are completely undermined by its seven weaknesses (there will be no Pokemon that don't carry at least one thing it's weak against), including Stealth Rock weakness, which means it can't switch in and out freely. It can't do its old job and it can't do its new job.

GRENINJA CANNOT RAPID SPIN.

Please, people, that rumor was disproved many times already. Let it die on the boulevard of broken dreams already!
Well that's a bit disappointing. With Sticky Web running amuck this gen and the introduction of Talonflame and Megazard Y, we needed a great rapid spinner more than ever. Avalugg isn't too great.

Maybe Klefki or Aegislash have a chance to learn it?

Mega Blastoise is gonna be a great bulky spinner. Dark Pulse with Mega Pulse pretty much make it unblockable.

But nobody will want to use mega blastoise (except for blastoise fans) and waste the mega slot since there are better megas out there.

You're right, how can a rapid spinner with amazing bulk and great defensive typing that can one-shot almost every spin blocker in the game and also do more than just spin possibly compete with the rest of the mega's?

Rayquaza_ I have a feeling we won't be seeing a lot from those in the future.

edit: Mega Heracross confirmed to get Pin Missile. Whether or not that makes it worth it depends on what its stats are.

Last edited:
Mega Blastoise kinda mucks things up if you're aiming to use Megazard Y (or hell, even MegaZard X would appreciate spin support, but just going off of the two examples above provided by mrglass). You will either have to opt for a different spinner such as a Tentacruel, or opt for a different sweeper (if intending to use MegaZard Y primarily for its sweeping capabilities) or using Ninetales (if intending to use MegaZard Y primarily for its weather controlling abilities).

Outside of the argument though, you're right that Mega Blastoise is getting under appreciated as a support Pokemon. It's spinning abilities are top notch and would be welcome on a team with a Volcarona or Talonflame on it over other popular MEvos that may provide a bit more up front power.

You're right, how can a rapid spinner with amazing bulk and great defensive typing that can one-shot almost every spin blocker in the game and also do more than just spin possibly compete with the rest of the mega's?

Rayquaza_ I have a feeling we won't be seeing a lot from those in the future.

edit: Mega Heracross confirmed to get Pin Missile. Whether or not that makes it worth it depends on what its stats are.
How much damage does pin missile do with stab now? And also aren't we aware of his stats? I remember someone saying his speed takes a -10

Pin Missile does 25 per hit now, so STAB Skill Link Pin Missile would do 188 damage. For reference, that's 8 more than STAB Megahorn.

As far as I know, we don't know the exact stats, but his speed has been lowered.

Pin Missile does 25 per hit now, so STAB Skill Link Pin Missile would do 188 damage. For reference, that's 8 more than STAB Megahorn.

As far as I know, we don't know the exact stats, but his speed has been lowered.
Here's hoping SOMETHING comes good out of this Mega Evolution, losing speed, losing his ability and whatever standard item most Heracross sets run with is going to be a HUGE blow =/

All of its old sets can't work with Mega, since they all require max speed investment. It has good tank potential, since it already has pretty good SpD and resists a lot of common physical types...but then it wouldn't be able to benefit from Close Combat. Fuck.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Mega Aerodactyl, with that extra 20 Speed, gives him the highest Speed in the non-Ubers metagame (bar Choice Scarf users, of course). With the addition of Sticky Web and the greater involvement of entry hazard users because of it, could this be the return of ANTI-LEAD Aerodactyl? Especially when his Mega Evolution gives him so extra Attack and Tough Claws to wreck kids with?

(Also, for what it's worth, my level 73 Ampharos gains 80 Sp. Atk for the price of 12 Speed when he Mega Evolves. Considering Ampharos already has very impressive bulk and very wide type-coverage, I think it's possible he'll be able to slide into the meta as a force-switching titanic harbinger of destruction. Like seriously, his Sp. Atk gets INSANE.)

is there any info on mega houndoom yet? sun teams may get a resurgence... but sadly that resurgence seems to be focused on chard Y, which is incompatible with mega doom.

I want to know if he got more speed or attack power, i've always used mixed LO doom, so an attack power boost would be welcome.

Sadly of how is shaping the metagame i think that flash fire was a better option, unless sun become the new rain and you need to get a sun check...

Super Good: Mewtwo (both), Blaziken, Gengar, Lucario, Mawile

Good: Alakazam, Absol, Aggron, Blastoise, Charizard (both), Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Scizor

Less Good: Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Venusaur

Original is Better: Abomasnow, Heracross, Tyranitar

I'll edit this as more info comes out.
Just throwing in my 2cents, I think alakazam can go into the original is better category, modest mega zam has a fraction more speed and power than timid life orb zam (like 2%) but gives up focus sash+magic gaurd. I also don't think mega pinsir belongs in the same category as charizard and scizor, you get lower attack (since you dont have life orb) and a 50% stealth rock weakness in exchange for a marginally better offensive STAB (which costs you your moxie ability to get too), a bit better defense to take priority which doesnt matter cause your gonna be at like 75% from rocks even on the first switchin, and a boost from below average speed to average speed.

To copy from the XY data collection thread, the stats are probably base 80/185/115/40/105/75. I'm not sure if that Attack boost outdamages Guts, and I doubt it's better than Moxie after a boost or two (admittedly, getting that probably isn't as easy as it sounds). It's certainly fairly tanky, though, and comparing to other Pokemon with those kinds of defensive stats, it hits very, very hard. I think it'll find a niche somewhere, although UU play with Heracross has never really been my thing.

Mega Heracross's giant Atk buff outdamages LO, but not Moxie or Guts. On the other hand, Moxie and Guts have really annoying setups.

Great that Heracross is confirmed to get Pin Missile, though. (It's in the Heracross Research thread if anyone's wondering like I was.)

So I wasn't really sure where to put this, but it's related to Megas. Does Eviolite activate on non Megastone wielding Pokemon? So would a regular Gengar with Eviolite get the boosts in defenses?

So I wasn't really sure where to put this, but it's related to Megas. Does Eviolite activate on non Megastone wielding Pokemon? So would a regular Gengar with Eviolite get the boosts in defenses?
I highly doubt it. Pokemon like gengar and heracross cannot still evolve, they can only mega-evolve, which is an entirely different process. Also, I don't think gamefreak wouldn't be dumb enough to give us eviolite tyranitar or garchomp.

They do not effect pokemon like gengar or tyranitar. I've tested this just to be sure.

Blastoise got a good movepool buff and can learn Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse as well. http://i.imgur.com/itZcwkb.jpg The Mega Launcher boost (i've heard) is 50% damage boost making all those moves do 120 BP and of course his big Special Attack buff when he mega evolves. I mean, it really could be worth consideration, in lower tiers at least, where the better megas are all condemned to higher tiers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)