VGC VGC 21 Tyrantrum Team

Hello everyone I'm sick of all the TR teams and I wanted to try something new. However I feel something's missing on the team.

Teambuilding

I started with the main Mon in the Team:

:sm/tyrantrum:

Tyrantrum (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
- Ice Fang
- High Horsepower

Pretty easy to explain set. Head Smash hits hard, kills non dynamaxed Glastrier, doesn't get revenge killed by it. Ice Fang kills Lando, Iron Head for Fairy types, High Horsepower for coverage. With Max Steelspike and Max Quake I got both defensive boosts, however Tyrantrum isn't my main mon to Dmax, since Head Smash is a 150 BP move already.

I noticed, that I don't outspeed Lando and get killed by it so I had to either use Tailwind or get a Max Airstream off. This let me to Pokemon number 2:

:sm/thundurus:

Thundurus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Wild Charge
- Lash Out
- Superpower

Jolly + 180 Speed investment outspeeds Lando I, Galar Zapdos, Lando T and many more that can be a threat to Tyrantrum. If I lead Tyrantrum + Thundurus and I get intimidated Defiant activates and I usually sweep with Thundurus. Sometimes I get a boost from Muddy Water and overall Defiant is a good answer to some things that Tyrantrum gets countered from.

Next two Pokemon were pretty obvious for me:

Urshifu-Gmax @ Black Glasses
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat
- Protect

This set OHKOs Metagross and has good coverage for A LOT of the metagame. Cybertron used this and Fini in a lot of teams and I learned to love these two.

:sm/tapu fini:

Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 204 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Muddy Water
- Protect

Fini is insane. I had games where I was in a 1 vs 3 situation and Fini clutched the match after 1 CM boost. This is the other set Cybertron used and as I said above,it's just THAT good.

This kinda concludes the core of the Team. From here on out I tried many different things. The frist thing I tried was:

Moltres-Galar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 92 HP / 52 Def / 108 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Protect
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash

:sm/raichu:

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Fake Out
- Eerie Impulse
- Volt Switch

I wanted to play Galar Moltress mainly because it looks cool lol. I started with Comfey to activate WP, but Raichu had way better synergy with the team. It basically works as a Regieleki counter. Lightning Rod for helping Moltress, Fini and catching Electro Web, Fake Out is a good move overall, but is mainly here to stop Regieleki from setting something up. If it manages to set up a screen, I have Brick Break for that. Volt Switch is to activated WP and the main damage output for Raichu, Eerie Impulse cripples a lot of mons and is self explanatory.

After some games I noticed I never used Moltres, because all my other mons covered the things Moltres could. Sure I had no fire move, but it wasn't necessary at all. I also noticed Dusclops was a huge problem. OHKOing it wasn't possible and it was immune to Fake Out.

So I tried something else:

:sm/kangaskhan:

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Helping Hand
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break

Spectrier @ Focus Sash
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl

I love Kang since I played it in almost every VGC year. The set is pretty basic. Adamant Nature for maximum damage output, Scrappy to hit ghosts with Fake Out, Silk Scarf to do the maximum amount of damage with Fake Out, Helping Hand to be usefull when a faster Fake Out user is obvious to use Fake Out on Kang and to provides overall support, Rock Slide for flinches and it OHKOs Talonflame, Brick Break for the same reason I had it earlier.

At this point I lacked another special attacker. Spectrier is fast and strong, so I tried it out. Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse are it's only real coverage moves and I rather take Snarl over Dark Pulse to still get a SpA drop. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp for further support if needed. Spectrier was almost never a go to in Team Preview, but when I used this mon, it swept my oppenent. I feel I either used it wrong or it just looks good on paper.

After many games with these two additions it was obvious I lacked either Trick Room or Tailwind. Since I was sick of TR I tried Tailwind with:

:sm/tornadus:

Tornadus (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Air Slash

Tornadus has prankster, can still Taunt, does good damage and has access to Icy Wind. After I put it on the Team, the main lead became Tornadus + Tyrantrum (Tailwind + Dynamax coverage move). However Tornadus was another electric type weakness for my team and I felt I had to use another Tailwind user.

:sm/whimsicott:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Protect

Whimsi is the final mon of my team right now. I first played it with Pixie Plate and I must say Moonblast is really strong, but it was not quite what I was looking for since I kinda felt like I needed more support. I put Trick Room on this set because I felt I'm still not 100% able to stop TR from being set up. If that happens I TR myself and get another turn to kill the setter.

This concludes the teambuilding process. I think something's missing on the team and I have no idea what it could be. Maybe I should use Imprison instead of trying to Fake Out, maybe the core of the team isn't good at all, maybe Thundurus can be swapped for a better mon now that I have Tailwind.

However, thank you for reading this and my apologies if there are any errors, English is not my first language.

Thank you very much for your reply! I'm going to try your suggested team tomorrow since it's a pretty busy week. I'll get back to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)