VGC VGC 2016 Pokemon Showdown only team

Hey everyone, I don't post here often, but I just wanted to share a fun little gimmick team I dreamed up in my spare time when I'm not playing super standard stuff :p I'm currently in the 1500s on the VGC 2016 ladder.

Aron Zheng (Aron) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
EVs: 36 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The star of the show! I think most people are familiar with the power of Level 1 Aron. This Aron is also the reason why this team is a Pokemon Showdown only team since VGC 2016 live tournaments utilizes Normal Rules, which would bump Aron to level 50 automatically, making him significantly less useful :(

Shell Bell is interchangeable with Berry Juice, it just depends on how you play Aron. The benefit of Berry Juice is that it guarantees that Aron will survive two hits, which is great against Kang, and it means you're sure to get at least one Endeavour off. Elsewise, if you can support Aron to the extent where he will only ever take one hit per turn, Shell Bell is more handy since it potentially can heal Aron more.

Protect and Endeavor are mandatory. Endeavor is Aron's entire schtick and, since Aron requires two hits to KO, you can Protect against incoming double targets and have the partner mon do some work. Rest and Sleep Talk are kind of filler...but it basically keeps Aron in the game and as a threat that cannot be ignored.

Even at level 1, you're forced to have some EVs, according to Showdown. So I just put them in speed to avoid speed ties. But honestly, nature, IVs, and EVs don't matter on this guy.

Weavile @ King's Rock
Ability: Pickpocket
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Fling
- Protect

Aron's preferred partner. Weavile is there to ensure that Aron is only ever attacked by one mon at a time. An ideal game goes like this:
  • Turn 1: Fake Out + Endeavor
  • Turn 2: Feint to KO the weakened mon + Endeavor
  • Turn 3: Feint or Fling (depending if they switched out last turn or not) + Endeavor
  • etc.
In lieu of Protect, I've tried Knock Off, Low Kick, and other moves...but really none of them were really needed. Sometimes, however, I really did wish I that Weavile could stick around for a bit longer, but since he doesn't have Sash, Protect will have to do. Also helpful if an incoming Pokemon has Fake Out potential.

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Quick Guard
- Acrobatics
- Tailwind
- Protect

Aron is naturally susceptible to priority and pranksters, so Talonflame's Quick Guard is there to help. Tailwind is more of a support move for when I don't bring Aron and Acrobatics in lieu of Brave Birds because I'm bad :p No actually, it's just because Aron does the majority of the damage and Acrobatics is often enough to finish opponent's off. Additionally, Talonflame won't KO itself after going down to its Sash...which is weird since you usually want Talonflame to go down after setting up Tailwind, but this team is weird.

I might switch Protect for Brave Bird since I do miss it. I might also switch it for Overheat or Flare Blitz since Ferrothorn is a problem for this team as well. But again, like Weavile, sometimes I predict the split attack (one attack into Talonflame and one into Aron) and it's nice to preserve Talonflame so that I can pick off a Pokemon after Aron Endeavors it.

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Follow Me

This used to be Cresselia, because Aron under Trick Room was a funny thought. Unfortunately, I never brought Cres in and never set up Trick Room for this team. So I decided to go with a different route and put on Togekiss to support Rayquaza. Follow Me is also great for supporting Aron when spread moves aren't on the table.

The spread is Jon Hu's spread. I swapped Tailwind/Twave for Dazzling Gleam so that I have a spread move of my own to double KO two Endeavored Pokemon.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Overheat

Yet another priority attacker to help Aron pick off weaken foes. Extreme Speed also has the benefit of being +2 priority, giving me another way to deal with regular priority users other than Talonflame's Quick Guard.

I'm actually tempted to swap Protect here for something like Surf or Earth Power to better handle Groudon. Overheat is needed because of Ferrothorn, but I so far I haven't really needed Protect on mRay for some odd reason. It's probably because I bring him in last and there is no opportunity to Protect since I need the KOs at that point.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy

This used to be Yveltal, but super crazy boosted Sucker Punch wasn't appealing enough for me to bring him in ever so instead I went with good old rainbow deer. Aron plays a similar role that Smeargle does for Xerneas...he stands out as a threat and distracts the opponent long enough for Xerneas to get a boost and start sweeping.

Honestly, boosted Moonblast will 2HKO anything, even through resistance. The same team that supports Aron or mRay can also step in to give Xerneas the 1-2 turns it needs to remove its threats and then sweep through the rest of the team.

Overall
This team is just 3 heavy hitters and 3 supports. It presents an unappetizing problem to your opponents and challenges them to bring four that can adequately deal with all the different angles that you can attack from.

Weavile @ King's Rock
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Feint
- Fling
- Protect

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Quick Guard
- Acrobatics
- Tailwind
- Protect

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 116 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Follow Me

Aron Zheng (Aron) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
EVs: 36 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Overheat

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy

Last edited:
are u sure that a lv1 pokemon on the 3ds is taked to the 50? i know that only pokemon thare are >50 are taked into 50...not sure for lower level pokemon..because i fight a guy with a pokemon at lvl 26...so it can work on 3ds too.(sorry bad english)

are u sure that a lv1 pokemon on the 3ds is taked to the 50? i know that only pokemon thare are >50 are taked into 50...not sure for lower level pokemon..because i fight a guy with a pokemon at lvl 26...so it can work on 3ds too.(sorry bad english)
Good question! It depends on the ruleset. If you're playing Flat Battles, then Lv 1 Pokemon will stay at Lv 1. However, if you're playing Normal Rules, then everything is set to 50.

VGC 2016 live tournaments use Normal Battles because Flat Battles have bans on the legendaries.

on the vgc i see one with a lv 26 pokemon i am sure of that,he not use it but he was at 26 on the screen of the opponent pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)