Verdict of Dr. Conrad Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
So today Dr. Conrad Murray received the guilty verdict of Involuntary Manslaughter of the King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

I was hoping you guys can share some opinions over this, like, if the Doctor was wrongfully convicted, or, if you guys really think he meant for it to happen.

I can't really say my opinion about it, mostly because I didn't really watch the trial, but I'd love to see what you guys write.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always feel that cases with celebrities are always biased just because they are famous. I'm probably going to have to stop watching the news as I heard this one shithead say "Now MJ can rest in peace" and another saying "this won't bring him back to life". Dumb idiots of course it won't bring him back, (how is it newscasters find the dumbest people for commentary).

With all the plastic surgery MJ got too I'll bet he didn't even seem human no wonder the doctor messed up.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm also wondering how much bias could be in the case, but I have faith that the U.S. judicial system knows what they're doing. Sure, they may have had clusterfuckers like O.J. Simpsons, but this case doesn't seem to be one of them.

Yeah, I thought if a doctor messed up, they'd get sued for malpractice? It seems like theyre only making such a big deal of it because of how big a celebrity MJ was.

If they do this to him for Michael jackson they should also do this for all cases where the doctor fucks regular people up like in the case of my grandfather.

I don't know all of the details of either this case or malpractice vs manslaughter, so I don't want to go too in depth and start speaking out of my ass, but there is an obvious difference when a doctor accidentally kills someone while properly applying correct medical techniques to the best of his ability and when he disregards correct medical practice (even at his patient's request) and that ends up killing him.

if you knew the details of the court case you would understand why they charged for manslaughter
Seconding this. There was evidence to believe the doctor was worried more about covering the incident up than trying to help MJ and thus didn't even come close to doing all he could to save him. I know I'm doing a horrible job at explaining it, but there is more to this than a dead celebrity.

However, it is the reason for the media clusterfuck the case has caused.

I think that this verdict was to be expected by anyone with basic law training and an understanding of the case itself.

Then again, I thought a guilty verdict for the Casey Anthony case was a no brainer as well...

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Shouldn't have been found guilty of anything, but manslaughter is ridiculous. I guess malpractice makes sense, but I highly doubt Michael Jackson hadn't been warned by Murray that the stuff he was taking was a substantial health risk, he was following orders.

I'm not saying he was a good guy or a good doctor, but I am saying that MJ did this to himself.

He never sexually harassed any child. The only reason why that rumor spread is the insecurity of America creating drama to make their lives more entertaining.

Shouldn't have been found guilty of anything, but manslaughter is ridiculous. I guess malpractice makes sense, but I highly doubt Michael Jackson hadn't been warned by Murray that the stuff he was taking was a substantial health risk, he was following orders.

I'm not saying he was a good guy or a good doctor, but I am saying that MJ did this to himself.
And your point? He's still a doctor, it's his job to say no when the patient asks for something that's not healthy for him. That's like saying "it's not my fault my patient died to a massive overdose of a prescription medication, he ASKED to prescribe it!" Actually, that's exactly what happened here, only that it's even worse because Dr. Murray directly administered the fatal dose. It doesn't really matter if Michael wanted it or not; if the level was medically unhealthy for him, it's his job to say no.

And your point? He's still a doctor, it's his job to say no when the patient asks for something that's not healthy for him. That's like saying "it's not my fault my patient died to a massive overdose of a prescription medication, he ASKED to prescribe it!" Actually, that's exactly what happened here, only that it's even worse because Dr. Murray directly administered the fatal dose. It doesn't really matter if Michael wanted it or not; if the level was medically unhealthy for him, it's his job to say no.
Yeah basically this.

I also don't know why a point is being made about malpractice vs manslaughter. Medical malpractice, as far as I'm aware, is not a criminal charge - it is a civil lawsuit (i.e. suing in tort of negligence).

There's nothing that stops both a civil suit and a criminal suit arising out of the same facts.

EDIT: Note also, there's nothing relevant about the doctor 'meaning for it to happen' - it was involuntary manslaughter (i.e. he did something that could have caused death, and death happened because of it). It was not murder (intending to cause death, and death happening) or voluntary manslaughter (intended to cause harm, but not death, and death happened).

EDIT 2: Not to say the resultant conclusion by the jury was incorrect, since I don't know anything about the case having had no interest in following it, but I did think when charges were first laid that it was unlikely a 'fair trial' would actually be possible.

I always feel that cases with celebrities are always biased just because they are famous.
I have this general feeling, but I haven't followed it at all so I won't comment on it further.

I don't want to get all picky and shit, but it could have been a complication that came about that the doctor couldn't predict. But, like I said I haven't followed it all, so I won't pass judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)