Pokémon Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering how do you breed for HP Fire in this generation? I know you need a base xx/xx/xx/30/31/30 spread, but how can you guarantee the special atk and speed are 30 and not something like 20? Cuz those stats are actually important.

On a side note, is it even worth running HP Fire this gen as opposed to a basic set with Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Giga Drain and EQ/Sleep Powder (depending on nature)? HP did get nerfed to base 60 all around.

EQ needs Attack EVs or at least a non Atk hindering nature. Otherwise it depends on whether you want to be walled by Skarmory or Heatran.

I was just wondering how do you breed for HP Fire in this generation? I know you need a base xx/xx/xx/30/31/30 spread, but how can you guarantee the special atk and speed are 30 and not something like 20? Cuz those stats are actually important.

On a side note, is it even worth running HP Fire this gen as opposed to a basic set with Sludge Bomb, Synthesis, Giga Drain and EQ/Sleep Powder (depending on nature)? HP did get nerfed to base 60 all around.
It was a lot easier when Instacheck was around. Nowadays what you can do is take the babies to the Battle Institute, compute their IVs based on L50 stats and figure out if you got 30 based on that.

You can also pump rare candies into 'em, compute their IVs, then reset to get your candies back.

I'd suggest breeding for 31 IV on those two stats for both parents beforehand so that you will be able to tell when it inherits it by checking with the IV Judge. If he doesn't mention it, then you can go to the Battle Institute to see if the stat is where it should be if it was 31 (not sure if that applies when you have +/- natures, though). Everstone, Power Item for any other stat that is 31, and you are guaranteed to not have to worry about a random nature making each check harder, and it reduces the chance of inheriting the stat you want generated to 4/6 chance for either IV. As soon as you get one of the stats as a 30, mark it so that you can remember that it has 30, then continue until the other stat gets a generated 30IV. From there on, its standard breeding, except you have to check the IVs in Battle Institute each time you spot a potential increase in IV total.

I'm currently using Mega Venasaur with HP Ground right now, along with Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb, that way I don't have to deal with splitting my offensive EV's. Idk if that's a good solution or not, haven't really had time to test it much.

dialganet

Banned deucer.
Hi guys! It's my first post and I'm new to competitive battle, although I've been reading you for months.

I've really been intrigued by this thing (saur-Msaur) because I found nowhere a mon that packs utility, tanking, recovery (Giga drain, Syntesis and Leech Seed mitigate the lack of lefties) altogether in one set, with potentially a lot of more options and different sets while having those insane stats (bar speed, but hey, the normal form has it doubled in sun). I've seen him in battle and it never comes short of what he needs to do. Even in game or with my friends, I am kind of fond of tankish hard hitter so M-saur is the go-to-Mega at the moment. I have a female Chloro Ivy and a male Chloro Ivy from which I'm about to breed my M-saur, so, being new to competitive battling and all, I've a few questions to clarify my mind, and I hope someone will share my thoughts.

I'm basically leaning towards a tankish quiet set that packs earthquake. Now, the first problem is the 4MS that venusaur packs. I've decided to abandon Leech Seed, pretty sure about Giga Drain (solid damage coming of 120 spa and recovery) and, as I've said, earthquake. Now, down to business:

M-saur
Quiet Nature
Chlorophill-Thick fat (I guess chloro packs always more utility than Overgrow even with an hindering nature, on occasion such a dead Zard Y on the other team and a rotom in to be outsped momentarily by Saur, or in presence of some sunny day setter)

IVs: 31-31-31-31-31-?? (I'll explain later)

Evs: 252 HP (that's a given I guess) 6 ATK 252 SPA

Moveset:
Earthquake
Giga Drain/hidden power
Sludge Bomb/sleep powder/toxic
Syntesis

EQ is good, extremely good, and Syntesis is a given. Now, on this kind of set, is sludge bomb really necessary? I know that sleep powder utility is extremely valuable in some situations (for example with Skarmory or faster hard hitter coming in and you suddenly gain a free switch) and toxic is toxic. You're now free food for other grass types and dragons though, breelom can SD, Dnite and Mence can DD etc. (clearly if you have Talonflame that's not an issue at all) Should I run EQ/Sludge/status move/syntesis to avoid that? Or, with the presence of GD, I can leave Syntesis apart to run GD-EQ-SB-status (to be clear, I think that Syntesis-less sets are the worst)? Or, again, I can maybe keep SludgeB with his nice poison chance and run both Syntesis and Sleep powder with no GD? As you see, I'm pretty confused lol.

I have yet another option. I've really liked the not fire-hp discussion, and I'm wondering if, alongside EQ, there's an HP that guarantees enough coverage (better than EQ-GD or EQ-SB or even GD-SB, just drawing all possibilities out) to allow you to use better the two last moveslots (status+syntesis) with those kind of Ivs. I'm not willing to sacrifice bulk and hp fire seems a pain to obtain, so I'm sticking with those ivs. I'm also wondering if a different EVs spread will be better (maybe enough investment in attack to allow EQ to kill 100% of time -1 MegaLuke that has just close combated one of your pokes to death? Or to bury 252/6 Heatran?) and more rewarding. Thanks for the patience to anyone who will read this piece of junk and respond, hope you don't get out of your mind as I am now.

Last edited:

In my experience. If you aren't running an offensive form of venusaur then HP fire isn't a great move. Simply isn't powerful enough without that 1 extra IV to help. My defensively bulky Mega Venusaur couldn't surprise 0HKO a 4x weak to fire scizor. Very underwhelming. Very good at poisoning things this Pokemon is though!

Toxic could potentially be a viable option on this thing because the new 6th gen mechanics means that toxic will never miss when used by a poison type. Although if you want to run toxic, you may have to drop a coverage move.

Hey guys, I've been using Chlorophyll Venusaur on a sun team, but I was unable to breed HP Fire onto it. Instead, what I ended up running was:

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Unfortunately, the lack of coverage never seems to make Venusaur a threat, especially with a limited number of turns before the sun runs out. Life Orb would probably give it more oomph, but I still feel like it's walled by far too much. Sleep Powder is handy, but it's annoying to constantly try to sleep and switch. Any recommendations for a third coverage move over Sleep Powder, or should I consider a different sun sweeper?

Any recommendations for a third coverage move over Sleep Powder, or should I consider a different sun sweeper?
I would recommend you use Victreebel. In exchange for slightly less speed and bulk you get better mixed attacking stats and a better movepool, most importantly Weather Ball which is almost twice as powerful as HP Fire.

You could just keep Venusaur and run Earthquake/Hidden Power Ground for Heatran or a different Hidden Power such as Ice or Fighting but that would be less effective overall than Hidden Power Fire or Sleep Powder.

I would recommend you use Victreebel. In exchange for slightly less speed and bulk you get better mixed attacking stats and a better movepool, most importantly Weather Ball which is almost twice as powerful as HP Fire.

You could just keep Venusaur and run Earthquake/Hidden Power Ground for Heatran or a different Hidden Power such as Ice or Fighting but that would be less effective overall than Hidden Power Fire or Sleep Powder.
Interesting, maybe I'll play around with Victreebel until I feel up to breeding for HP Fire. Thanks!

A 0 EV detrimental nature earthquake still hits Heatran harder than a 252 EV beneficial nature HP Ground. There's no real need to split your attacking ev's - just use EQ.

252+ SpA Venusaur Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 168-200 (43.5 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Venusaur Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 208-248 (53.8 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
That's actually incredible. Also worth noting is that Growth will boost Att as well, helping Earthquake hit harder.

What are the basis of a defensive Mega Venasaur? I'm not planning on using its Att, so which defense should I raise? I should go with Calm or Bold? Also, the moveset I've been thinking is more of a staller with:

Giga Drain/Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Synthesis
Leech Seed/Toxic.

And 252 EVs in both HP and the defense that the nature doesn't raise.

still new at this pokemon building thing so excuse my unpolished build.

What are the basis of a defensive Mega Venasaur? I'm not planning on using its Att, so which defense should I raise? I should go with Calm or Bold? Also, the moveset I've been thinking is more of a staller with:

Giga Drain/Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Synthesis
Leech Seed/Toxic.

And 252 EVs in both HP and the defense that the nature doesn't raise.

still new at this pokemon building thing so excuse my unpolished build.

If you are running defensive out of calm or bold.. You pick bold (+defence -attack) 252 EVs in defence and HP with 4 in SpAtk. You could take 4 EVs off HP and add to the SpAtk to hit a little harder and heal a little better.

A counter for this pokemon?
Mega Pinsir, Magic Guard Reuniclus, Magic Guard Sigilyph, Magic Guard Alakazam, Specs Latios (Psyshock/Psychic), Offensive Roserade (Extrasensory, Technician HP Flying), Talonflame, Tornadus-T, Kyurem-B, Acrobatics Gliscor, Hawlucha, Taunt Skarmory, etc.

Thing is Hidden Power can help Megasaur get past certain checks you'd think would counter outright. HP Rock for instance demolishes Char Y, so it absolutely can't switch into that, or it and Sludge Bomb.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 242-288 (66.4 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 210-248 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 248-292 (83.2 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 266-314 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Rock vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 340-404 (114 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While Heatran doesn't normally have anything to hurt Megasaur in particular, it can really cripple it through Burn from WoW or Lava Plume.

252 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 114-134 (31.3 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage
0- Atk burned Mega Venusaur Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 124-146 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

That doesn't factor in Torment or Protect either. HP Ground on the other hand has no trouble with Timid versions and at least isn't weakened by Burn.

252 SpA Mega Venusaur Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 240-284 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

None of these factor in Growth however, and I say if you're going to run a Hidden Power than you kind of want the Growth boost and run the mixed attacking set. One Growth changes many of these calcs considerably. OHKO on Char Y. OHKO on Heatran with Earthquake with Stealth Rock, clean 2HKO even if burned.

A set I have come to love with this beast of a starter:

Venusaur @Venusaurite
Brave 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpDef
Overgrow (Thick Fat)
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake
- Nature Power/Solarbeam
- Sludge Bomb

With his titanic defenses now in play, Mega Venusaur now only has a few things to fear. Flying type moves hit extremely hard, but with a huge 170 Defense stat, dents will be first before KO's. Psychic types can also handle him fairly well, but with a proper supporting team member in Houndoom (Life Orb or otherwise) he can be certain that he has backup ready.

Earthquake covers his former weaknesses in Fire and it's double types, and allowing him to OHKO electric types foolish enough to stay or switch in. Nature power offers some differentiation in a boring world, and gives a solid 90 Power move with 10% chance to Burn, Paralyze or Freeze. Solarbeam can be used on sunny day sets or teams, or for multis ( I have personally used with a friend with a Mega-CharY with M-Venu with great success). Sludge bomb giving him his primary stab other than Petal Blizzard, a 90 Power AOE move similar to surf, except it is a physical attack. Both attacks sit around 140 total, giving him a great movepool and enough power to deal with those who try to get in his way. Venusaur is here to stay as the best starter evo to date.

My main problem with M Venu is his horrible 4MSS disability. You simply can't get everything he needs into one set. He needs a grass STAB, EQ, Synthesis for instant recovery, Leech seed for passive recovery, and a poison STAB for coverage. X(

Well, typically you just run Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Earthquake. The only thing you should be deciding is if you want to use either Synthesis or Leech Seed, and the decision is simple really. Do you use Tyranitar, Hippowdon, or Politoed on your team? No? Run Synthesis. Yes? Run Leech Seed.

I know that the turn you trigger your mega evolution, your move-order is determined by your non-mega speed stat. How does this interact with Chlorophyll? Am I correct in thinking that it's worth breeding that ability onto a Venusaur that you intend to use with Venusaurite?

I know that the turn you trigger your mega evolution, your move-order is determined by your non-mega speed stat. How does this interact with Chlorophyll? Am I correct in thinking that it's worth breeding that ability onto a Venusaur that you intend to use with Venusaurite?
If sun's up, you get the Chlorophyll boost on the turn you mega evolve, so are indeed faster for that turn.

I've been toying with this beast, due to the fact I need someone with a good degree of utility. The set I've come up with is: Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb. Sleep Powder, Safeguard. I was running Knock Off, but since I didn't have a cleric and no one one my team likes to get burned, or paralyzed I sided with this. Now would it be better to run M-Banette or Sableye to utilize Prankster Taunt to prevent the status in the first place? THe issue with that being that they can just switch out. Safeguard also has amazing applications wit My Kyurem-B's Outrage from behind a Sub (Protection AND no confusion for 5 turns? yeas plz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)