Venus Talontrio

A quick look

Introduction

This is my most recent OU team and possibly the best one. It was made for bulky support and a few fast trappers to take out the main threats as soon as possible so that the rest of my team is safe.
I had just heard about Talontrio core earlier so I thought I would try it out since Dugtrio can trap and kill anything that talon cannot. Venusaur also works crazily well with Dugtrio and Talonflame because Dugtrio lets me trap Heatrans and obliterate them which allows Venusaur to deal with the largest threat this generation, Rotom-Wash

Team-building Process

The moment I heard about Talontrio core, I wanted to make a team based around it. Talonflame is godly this generation because of its ability gale wings, allowing a +1 priority brave bird but its attack isn't great so it is easily stop by a few Pokémon such as Heatran. Dugtrio is great because on a good switch-in, it can trap the heatran so it can't switch out and knock it out with earthquake.

Venusaur is amazing this generation thanks to its mega evolution but more importantly, it gets great support from Dugtrio on this team and also supports the whole team by shitting all over Rotom-Wash, which is the sole reason i run specially offensive over physical since Rotom has Will-O-Wisp and is #1 in OU usage.

Aegislash was always seen as a great physical attacker but it also does amazingly as a mixed attacker. Some people told me to try a special Aegislash set but I prefer mixed because Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak are essential on Aegislash. Along with Aegislash, I was told that crumbler (which I think is the term for mixed Aegislash but not sure yet) is well supported by Sticky Web which is quite gimmicky this gen so I tried a shuckle for sticky web and stealth rocks.

I knew that with Talonflame on a team a Rapid Spinner is 100% needed. I wanted to use a defogger but I didn't want to lose my own hazards and excadrill is the best spinner this gen.

Shuckle even with its 230 defenses, it is still quite frail and is quickly taken out by only a hit or two. I also found out my team was way too physical and was completely walled by Sableye and other Pokémon with either Will-O-Wisp or godly defense. I decided to replace it with Tornadus-Therian because Life Orb Regenerator U-turn is just too good. Since I no longer had hazards, a defogger seemed like the logical choice.

A closer look

Venusaurus-Rex (Venusaur) (F)
Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 204 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (
+Def, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk

- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Venusaur is the number one best bulky mega this generation, OU or not. With 123 Physical and 120 Special Defense, it is only fair that its 80 HP doesn't get buffed. The main reason this is so good is because of its ability, Thick Fat, it protects it from 2 out for 4 weaknesses. The reason I have special Venusaur over physical is because Rotom-Wash is one of the most annoying Pokémon this gen and if i run physical, it still walls me with Will-O-Wisp. Sludge Bomb was bad last gen because poison was a horrible offensive typing but this gen is decent because it is super effective against Fairy. This EV spread allows it to survive a Brave Bird from an Adamant Life Orbed Talonflame. It also can survive a Flare Blitz from a +1 Charizard X at full health.

Dragonborne (Latias) (F)
Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 86 Def / 32 SAtk / 138 Spd
Modest Nature (
+SAtk, -Atk)

- Recover
- Defog
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Latias is crazily bulky and still has decent special offense. Defog for some reason is never expected on Latias, which is weird because nobody uses it even though it is an amazing defogger. Toxic is necessary because I have no other status move which is important with Pokémon that have heavy set up or crazily bulky mons such as Goodra or Slowbro. Recover is common sense because any good wall needs recovery and Ice beam is crazy important on this. Landorus-t and Gliscor are threats to this team, and ice beam kills them easily. The new spread on this latias gives it a guarenteed ohko on 252 HP 4 Spdef Landorus-T, outspeeds 252 speed landorus-t and Gliscors (Non speed boosting natures) and the 86 defense has a chance to survive a Shadow Sneak at +2 and also has a chance to survive it even after stealth rocks damage.

Crumbler (Aegislash) (M)
Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature (+
SAtk, -Spd)
- King's Shield

- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Though Aegislash is seen more as a physical Pokemon due to its vastly superior movepool, but special moves don't get affected by Burn making special Aegislash just as good, which is really annoying since King's Shield doesn't block status moves. The reason mixed is however needed is because Sacred Sword is just essential on Aegislash and is completely needed on almost any Aegislash set. Shadow Sneak is for priority to make up for its 50 base speed. The 12 speed EVs is so that it outspeeds azumarill, just in case the opponent has belly drum aqua jet. The 4 Special Defense is to keep pokemon with download from getting a special attack boost.

Tornanus (Tornadus-Therian) (M)
Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (
+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Hurricane

-Heat Wave
- Focus Blast

Last gen, one of the Pokemon that broke my team down the most was Tornadus-T but this gen, I have literally never seen anyone use it! It has 121 speed, and great stats in both physical and special attack. Hurricane isn't reliable so some people would prefer air slash, but I would rather take the risk because Tornadus really wants that boost. Heat Wave and Focus Blast are just for better coverage. U-turn allows it to deal some damage and switch out, allowing all of the life orb recoil to disappear after the switch. Tornadus isn't the best choice for a lead but I usually end up leading with him anyways.

Pheonix (Talonflame) (M)
Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings

EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

As I have mentioned before, Talonflame is probably the most important part of this team. He is a great revenge killer and also has sweeping potential, along with Tornadus. The 176 HP EVs is to be able to use a few Brave Birds before it dies, and Tailwind is just to help pokemon like aegislash outspeed threats considering Aegislash mixed can 2ko almost any wall.

Thugtrio (Dugtrio)
Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (
+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch

Dugtrio on this team is mainly to support Talonflame. Arena Trap basically puts away all steel and fire types that block Talonflame's way. Sucker Punch is replacable with Stealth Rock because Dugtrio is fast and rarely outsped. Reversal is after dugtrio has taken a hit and is especially good against TTar. Earthquake is just my ground type move of choice and Stone Edge is simply to do damage on fire types.

Importable

Venusaurus-rex (Venusaur) (F) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 204 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Dragonborne (Latias) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 86 Def / 32 SAtk / 138 Spd
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Defog
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Crumbler (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Tornanus (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast

Pheonix (Talonflame) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Thugtrio (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch

P.S. With the current version of the team I am able to get 15-2 wins on ladder

Last edited:
Hello, fellow smogoner! I really like your team, it's very unique. But of course, i'm not just here to complent your team. however i'm not too experienced, so i'll try to suggest as many teams as I can.

Run Swords Dance over Shadow Ball on aegislash. shadow ball is inferior to Shadow Sneak, and besides, with swords dance, aegislash will defeat the strongest alakazam, and other psychic threats. mixed sets are ok, but in my opinion, it seems inferior to a sweeper set.

Do NOT use hurricane on tornadus-T. I understand you like the power, but sometimes you need reliability. Using the wrong move sometimes can land you in hot water. Hurricane should only be used really if you have a rain team.

Third, have you considered running sleep powder on venusaur. Altough the sleep mecanics got nerfed, I find it to be pretty effective when I put it on my Venusaur.

That is all, good luck battling smogoner!

Hi !

Have you consider Choice Band Talonflame instead of the Life Orb. It will let you avoid the recoil which is sometimes a little annoying. You will loose enough HP with Brave Bird and Flare Blitz recoils. And Choice Band will help you to hit very hard and with priority. But you will have to get rid of Tailwind... Is it very important in your team ?

And keep Hurricane on Tornadus-T. The power drop if you don't use it is too important. Same thing for Shadow Ball on Aegislash. Special Aegislash is now more powerful than the SD set ( which is too much known today and too easily counter ).

Your team seems however very good, trapping with Dugtrio is so fun !
Hoping I have been useful !

Thank you! I will consider a Brave Bird set, after I test it out some more I will make the changes, thanks for the reviews!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I suggest keeping the Talonflame set the same but changing u-turn for swords dance or bulk up and replacing tailwind with roost.

Replace Ice Beam with Dragon Pulse on Latias and Toxic with Hidden Power Fire or Psyshock.

Replace Synthesis with Sleep Powder on Venusaur. It needs to be able to shut down your opponent's pokemon.

Aside from those issues, it's a very solid team and I commend you greatly on it.

Skalaylee

I dont even realize everyone in my sig is being sarcastic
HI EnerG <3

I don't agree with adding Choice Band on TalonFlame keep the life orb.I don't think tail wind is too nesaacry I see how it helps but talon flame is basically committing suicide out there.To fix this you can replace Tailwind or U-Turn with Roost. That will also help it when there are rocks up.TalonFlame forces a lot of switches so it has chances to roost.

Test it out and see how that goes if it doesn't go we'll switch back since that has been working

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Gonna have to disagree with Skalaylee here. Tailwind provides incredible utility for that last minute Aegislash Shadow Ball clean up as not much takes a 252+ Aegi Shadow Ball. Also, that Latias set is not all that effective because you essentially provide a free switch in for Genesect and Azumarill. I would change the set to the following

Latias @ Leftovers
252 HP/4 SpAtk/252 Spd
Timid Nature
Trait: Levitate
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)