UU Threat lists

needs more clamperl. also dewgong with hydro rest is annoying. whoever said no to wailord is losing their mind. wailord sweeps in ou. its basicly a lesser kyogre with scarf attached its a beast. heck, rain teams own in uu with wailord, clamperl, toxicroak, pikachu and dewgong the list goes on. i might just try that....

I don't really see the point of the physical/special split here, as the OU threat list doesn't do this. Just separate into offensive/defensive for simplicity's sake. The lists probably still need some trimming as well, too much redundancy.

My impression is you meant Manectric.
Yes ... sorry I should have been clearer.

Also I keep looking at Aggron and wondering if hes really necessary to add as a threat [...] Also Aggron does require a considerable ammount of prediction to use at times.
I'm inclined to agree ... most sets are walled pretty thoroughly by the ever present Claydol, indeed most bulky ground types.

Gorebyss should definitely be included in the Special threats list.
I think its absence from the list stems more from a lack of useage, than anyone discounting its potential.

also dewgong with hydro rest is annoying.
Annoying yes ... threatening not so much.

whoever said no to wailord is losing their mind. wailord sweeps in ou.
No we're really not ... and Wailord's ability to sweep in OU is not really relevant, as its a completely different environment. In UU Wailord can be good, however it is not something that people consider countering when building teams, nor is it used frequently enough to have generated any sort of "buzz". Hence it being discounted from the list.

I don't really see the point of the physical/special split here, as the OU threat list doesn't do this.
Most players are naturally more familiar with OU pokemon, their strengths their weaknesses ... this is not necessarily the case for UU, which is why I suggested the split. I was battling a respected member of the pokemon community on Shoddy a few days ago and he had no idea whether Rapidash was a physical or special attacker.

it dosent really matter if somthing is not used much if it can sweep teams very fast. just because its not used much does not mean its bad.

I don't understand why this is being made right now. Wouldn't it be better to wait until the suggestion in this thread is accepted or rejected? UU may be undergoing a huge change soon, so a threat list right now might just be a big waste of time.

I wish the Policy Review forum was open for non-badged members, but I guess we had our chance.

Just a note, Primeape also learns the elemental Punches, so that's not unique to Hitmonchan among the fighting-types.

it dosent really matter if somthing is not used much if it can sweep teams very fast. just because its not used much does not mean its bad.
Please reread what I said ... at no point did I say Wailord was "bad".

Lots of things in the current UU metgame can "sweep teams very vast" under circumstances, unfortunately if everything was included the list could be several pages long. Because Wailord is not used as frequently as other threats it was ommitted in favour of threat do see use ... this is no reflection on its potential to sweep, or its quality as a pokemon.

By Wailord, I assume we're all talking about CS Water Spout Wailord.

He's decently strong and fast with the CS, but the simple fact is that he's a one-trick pony. There are a ton of water absorbs/dry skin in UU compared to OU and if he ever gets hit, he loses his gun. Not worthy of threat list at all people.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
By Wailord, I assume we're all talking about CS Water Spout Wailord.

He's decently strong and fast with the CS, but the simple fact is that he's a one-trick pony. There are a ton of water absorbs/dry skin in UU compared to OU and if he ever gets hit, he loses his gun. Not worthy of threat list at all people.
Ehhh, he still has Selfdestruct as a last resort move if he really needs to, and that works great on a CS set. He doesn't even need to worry about KOing Blissey in UU, so he doesn't need to waste anything on attack EVs.

The CS set is ok, but it's much better in OU than UU, so hence I agree with you that he shouldn't be an UU threat.

Foxfish, is there any chance you could edit the OP with the information presented in Forsety's post. As long as it's been analyzed and scrutinised by the rest of you guys, I know Lemmiwinks Mk II picked out some errors and if anyone else can, please do so.

Also, if someone could do something of a Defensive Threat list, that'd be great. I'm really enjoying how this thread is turning out, especially cos alot of the "Pros" (ODDish, Pneuma, Bologo). Heck, i'll be using this thread as a basis when I get around to building my own UU Team.

Also, on a slightly related note, how "threatening" are entry hazards like Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and likewise, how "threatening" are weather effects, (i.e. Sunny Day, Rain Dance teams)? And, by Threatening, i mean, how dangerous/powerful they are and how common are they?

Also, on a slightly related note, how "threatening" are entry hazards like Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and likewise, how "threatening" are weather effects, (i.e. Sunny Day, Rain Dance teams)? And, by Threatening, i mean, how dangerous/powerful they are and how common are they?

Spikes - IMHO not nearly as effective as in OU. The more rapid pace of the environment, and general frailty of most of the spikers, means less opportunity to set up.

Stealth Rock - used less than it perhaps should be, but just as deadly. Just consider the offensive threats that it hits for SE damage (Scyther, Altaria, Ninetales, Pinsir, Venomoth ...)

Toxic Spikes - worse than regular spikes, given the number of viable poison pokemon just waiting to absorb them.

Sunny Day - I've seen many attempts, but results have, thus far, been unspectacular.

Rain Dance - In skilled hands devastating. For my money, it's the reason Golduck sees as much use as it does.

Also, if someone could do something of a Defensive Threat list, that'd be great. I'm really enjoying how this thread is turning out, especially cos alot of the "Pros" (ODDish, Pneuma, Bologo). Heck, i'll be using this thread as a basis when I get around to building my own UU Team.

I'm working on a defensive list as we speak.

Also just my input on the hazards although ODDish covered them...

Sunny Day- Actually not seen too much, most threatening fire and grass sweepers (Exeggutor, Typhlosion) are in BL at the moment. The only major Sunny Day users in UU is Rapidash and Vileplume. Others who can use it just find it a bonus Jumpluff, Manectric, Ninetales.

Rain Dance- Quite regularly seen, there is a massive selection of Swift Swim users, Water Absorbers and sweepers who all enjoy it. Mantine, Kabutops, Omastar, Gorebyss, Huntail, Quagsire, Toxicroak etc. All of them absolutely thrive in this environment.

Stealth Rock- Not very common due to the bias towards heavy offensive in UU. However it is extremely threatening, many things in UU have weaknesses to SR or just cannot deal with regular passive damage. In fact half of the top offensive threats are pretty easily ruined by SR.

Spikes- Not very useful unfortunately for reasons already mentioned. High speed metagame and 3 turns of setup and general lack of Spike users.

Toxic Spikes- Literally worthless. Too many things in UU are immune or lap them up. Toxicroak, Claydol, Muk are regulars who all spit on any attempt of a setup.

Leech Seed- Jumpluff, Meganiu almost always have it, ever since Tentacruel became OU its become quite abit harder to deal with. It also makes the Hitmon's quite abit more useful due to naturally high defenses/low HP and Clefable has partially filled Cruel's void.

Is persian not enough of a threat then?
Persian is up there if you look.

Ehhh, he still has Selfdestruct as a last resort move if he really needs to, and that works great on a CS set. He doesn't even need to worry about KOing Blissey in UU, so he doesn't need to waste anything on attack EVs.
Wailord learns Self Destruct? Thats news to me...I'm pretty sure it doesn't in game.

I don't understand why this is being made right now. Wouldn't it be better to wait until the suggestion in this thread is accepted or rejected? UU may be undergoing a huge change soon, so a threat list right now might just be a big waste of time.
Even if its accepted it'll take a long time to work and when it does go through this list can always be updated.

Okay finished a defensive list description and it needs checking over guys. Also made necessary corrections and additions to the offensive threat list.

Continued from http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1176508&postcount=46

Defensive Threats (Physical)

Sandslash: 75/110/55 – Ground

Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin lets Sandslash play the part of a utility pokemon extremely effectively. It also has the benefit of not being too phased by Grass Knot due to its lightness. However Sandslash specializes in the counter offensive, it is a fine Counter user, Swords Dance w/ STAB Earthquake, Stone Edge, X-Scissor and Night Slash are at its disposal.

Cloyster: 50/180/45 – Water/Ice

Cloyster was recently relegated from BL but is still formidable despite a major fighting/rock weakness due to massive defence. Rapin Spin is still an option despite SR weakness, Ice Shard, Avalanche, Poison Jab, Explosion and Skill Linked Icicle Spear work off its higher attack though it may use Surf sometimes. Barrier/Iron Defense are also available for further reinforcing its defence. Deals best with Scyther, Absol, Kingler and if you use Ice Shard even Jumpluff.

Pelipper: 60/100/70 – Flying/Water

Very rarely seen and almost NU but not to be underestimated. Its typing, sturdy stats and Roost will allow it to stall you for quite sometime. STAB Hydro Pump or Air Slash, Ice Beam, HP Electric are available for its attacks off an 85 base. Tailwind enables quick counterattacks and psuedo speed pass, Knock Off and Stockpile remain as solid support options.

Nidoqueen: 90/87/85 – Ground/Poison

Rock, Fighting and Bug resistance are incredibly rare to come by making Nidoqueen a goddess in this respect. Support options range from Taunt, Counter, Disable, Stealth Rock and Roar. Although having a superior special movepool its assaults will normally be physical with the likes of Avalanche, Stone Edge, STAB Earthquake, Poison Jab, Superpower and Focus Punch. Main threats it deals with are Pinsir, Toxicroak, Hitmonlee and Armaldo.

Torkoal: 70/140/70 – Fire

Torkoal is a near unbreakable fortress sometimes calling upon Will O’Wisp to further its unbreakable defense, Yawn, Stealth Rock, Amnesia and Curse. It won’t regularly pack Rapid Spin due to a Stealth Rock weakness and general better things to do. Its attacks can go either way with equal 85 offenses and options on both sides. Gyro Ball uses its low speed well, Earthquake, Stone Edge offer ever welcome coverage. Lava Plume/Overheat, Sludge Bomb, Hidden Power make up the special and in Trick Room teams even Eruption. However be most wary of its Explosion. Main threats it can deal with are Scyther, Kangaskhan, Cacturne, Hitmontop, Rapidash, Ninetales and Pinsir to an extent.

Claydol – 60/105/120 – Ground/Psychic

Despite stats that scream special wall, Claydol’s Levitate and unique typing has always orientated it towards a physical role. Its multiple weaknesses stop it from being a special wall however the high base will allow it to survive some strong hits. Normal options will be Rapid Spin, Reflect/Lightscreen, Stealth Rock, Trick Room. Offensively it gained new tricks in D/P with Calm Mind, Charge Beam, STAB Earth Power and Grass Knot. Ice Beam, Psychic, Shadowball and Explosion still remain as options. Claydol deals quite well with Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Nidoking and Primeape.

Rotom – 50/77/77 – Electric/Ghost
Its bases are laughable, however its strength lies in Levitate and its unique typing allowing it to switch into a multitude of attacks and offer reinforcement to others with its support. Coupled with its speed, it can often strike easily or force a switch with Choice users. Being a ghost gives it access to many support options such as Will O’Wisp, Trick, Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray and Light Screen/Reflect. Attacks include STAB Charge Beam/Thunderbolt, STAB Shadowball, Dark Pulse and an occasional Hidden Power.

Defensive Threats (Special)

Hypno: 85/70/115 – Psychic
Most special attacks do relatively little to Hypno and Insomnia gives immunity to sleep, its massive and unpredictable support movepool ensures you will regret leaving it alive. Light Screen/Reflect, Hypnosis, Switcheroo, Nasty Plot, Disable, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Recycle, Resttalk, Skill Swap, Trick Room and the popular NYPC Wish or Baton Pass. Offensive options will be either STAB Psychic, Shadowball for opposing Psychics or Grass Knot.

Grumpig: 80/65/110 – Psychic
If you prefer your defensive to be more offensive than Grumpig is your choice. Thick Fat gives additional resistances to fire and ice. 80 speed, 90 special attack and Calm Mind ensures it can immediately strike back hard with anything from STAB Extrasensory, Energy Ball, Focus Blast, Shadowball and Power Gem. Being too trigger happy to attack it head on may result in a Mirror Coat and status isn’t much safer with its access to Magic Coat. Confuse Ray, Light Screen/Reflect, Thunder Wave, Trick, Recycle, Captivate, Amnesia, Trick Room round out its other support options.

Noctowl: 100/50/96 – Normal/Flying
Despite a weakness to boltbeam which even then struggles to 3HKO in most cases, Roost and great HP lets it shrug off most special attacks. Insomnia and Psycho Shift lets it switch into status any day of the week with impunity and shrug it all off. Whirlwind can break setups where Featherdance or Reflect is sometimes used to help the team and Hypnosis ensures it always has some way of hitting back. Night Shade or STAB Air Slash will be the only attacks you ever see it using.

Lanturn: 125/58/76 – Electric/Water
It is practically immune to Boltbeam due to Volt Absorb, resistant to water and fire with fantastic HP and Grass Knot is only 60 power on it. In an environment where Rain Dance is popular, Lanturn will stop everything in its tracks. It has a STAB on one half of its own BoltBeam and STAB Surf/Hydro Pump. Substitute, Aqua Ring are also popular support options as is the ever deadly parafusion combo of Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave.

Mantine: 65/70/140 – Water/Flying
Mantine is one of the few things in the entire game which can boast it solidly counters a Specsmence. Water Absorb gives it a means of recovery and Swift Swim with 80 base special attack allows Mantine to actually do significant damage in the weaker UU arena with Surf or Hydro Pump. Ice Beam or HP Flying are sometimes seen, Mirror Coat ensures you think twice about reckless HP Electric and Thunderbolts, Confuse Ray and Haze are all it has in the way of support. Mantine is not to be underestimated as although it comes off weak in OU it is a genuine special offensive and defensive threat in UU.

Politoed: 90/75/100 – Water
It is sometimes criticized as a mini-Milotic due to Hypnosis, similar but lower stats and no Recover in exchange for Water Absorb. However it has its own tricks in the form of Haze, Focus Punch, Focus Blast, Psychic, Refresh and Perish Song and sometimes packs Hidden Power. For the most part it is used very similarly to Milotic and struggles to differentiate itself from Poliwrath. Politoed is actually a rather uncommon sight but if you hate dealing with Milotic expect more of the same kind of threat.

Muk: 105/75/100 – Poison
Muk is single handedly one of the most dangerous special defensive threats in UU with its incredible bulk. 105 attack and STAB Gunk Shot/Poison Jab, SubPunch are its main methods of assault. If you’re slow to deal with Muk you risk letting it Curse, Stockpile or Acid Armour in your face. Answer too quick and your psychics may eat a Shadow Sneak and others may face Explosion. Taunt, Haze round out its other options and elemental punches keep you guessing.

Probopass: 60/145/150 – Rock/Steel
Although resembling a generic wall its typing orientates it towards the special side of things while being able to stop physical flying/normal threats. Support options consist of Magnet Rise, Thunder Wave, Taunt and Gravity. Attacks it’ll normally pack are STAB Flash Cannon, Thunder/Discharge, Earth Power and Explosion. It is notably able to sponge Manectric, Venomoth, Ninetales while hitting back with Earth Power. It also safely threatens Froslass and Glaceon if equipped with Flash Cannon, this is even taking the risk of HP Fighting into consideration. Overconfident water types often risk taking a Thunder or even being paralyzed while doing very little despite super effectiveness.

Defensive Threats (Generic)

Vileplume: 75/85/90 – Poison/Grass
It typing gives neutrality to poison, ground, bug and resistance to fighting. Sleep Powder and Stun Spore offer double status while Aromatherapy lets it play Cleric. Solid bases lets it go offensive with STAB Grass Knot, Sludge Bomb and Chlorophyll lets it benefit from the sun. Moonlight/Synthesis offer options for healing if need be. It is also able to use NYPC Leech Seed, however be warned this comes under the recently proposed event moves blanket ban

Meganium: 80/100/100 – Grass

Regularly seen making life hell with its Reflect/Light Screens and ability to Leech Seed and heal with Synthesis or Aromatherapy. STAB Grass Knot/Energy Ball is the main method of attack and Counter is sometimes used to punish heavily. Bulky stats and good speed (80 base) ensures it is no push over.

Shuckle: 20/230/230 – Rock/Bug

Lack of Sandstorm doesn’t make this any less fragile. Shuckle will not be attacking anytime soon (Yes, Power Trick still sucks even in UU) nothing will come close to 2HKO’ing it in UU. Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Safeguard offers incredible support and will regularly Encore to set you up for a bigger following threat,

Blastoise: 79/100/105 – Water

Blastoise has long been regularly considered the premier bulky water of UU as long as even GSC. Even STAB super effective attacks will not OHKO and you also risk it Mirror Coating them all back at you. Yawn, Roar, Haze, Rapid Spin all ruin any attempt at a setup in most cases. Earthquake, Torrent + STAB Surf/Aqua Jet/Hydro Pump/Waterfall, Ice Beam, Avalanche are some of the attacks it may carry. It won't be hurting much anytime soon but its job is to stop setups, disrupt play and it does it perfectly.

Gastrodon: 111/68/82 – Ground/Water

Gastrodon is single handedly one of the bulkiest things around and it shines especially within UU where it has no Swampert to compete with. Recover, Stockpile, Stealth Rock, Yawn, Mirror Coat, Counter, Curse, Amnesia ensure it has no lack of defensive options. Ground/Water STAB and Ice Beam are all it needs to keep on fighting with Stone Edge as a possible option. Despite lacking Water Absorb this sheer bulk has been enough to cause it to be preferred over Quagsire. Most Gastrodon builds will usually be EV'd towards defense with enough HP to survive a Hidden Power Grass.

Hitmontop: 50/95/110 – Fighting

(See Hitmontop – Offensive threats physical)

Altaria: 75/90/105 – Dragon/Flying

Altaria has a monopoly being the only Dragon in the whole of UU. High defensive stats and a choice of Roost or Natural Cure Rest makes it sturdy. Ice attacks aren’t near as common in UU giving Altaria even more room to work with. Dragon Dance, Earthquake and STAB Dragon Claw/Rush let it threaten an impending sweep. Specs variations also love to hit and run with Fire Blast, Draco Meteor and Ice Beam but forfeit their excellent recovery.

Poliwrath: 90/95/90 – Fighting/Water

Poliwrath is considered an OU defensive threat which already makes it clear how dangerous it is. Water Absorb and lots of common resistances as well as a effective double STAB and Hypnosis make it very common and very dangerous. Some variations may even attempt to take advantage of its bulk and sleep move to attempt a Belly Drum sweep.

Clefable: 95/73/90 – Normal

(See Clefable - Offensive threats generic)

Drifblim: 150/44/54 – Ghost/Flying

Drifblim builds can either be special or physical with physical variations tending to be the most bulky. Unburden is more commonly seen than Aftermath and gives an incredible 2x speed boost to its already good 80 speed after using up a item. Common items you may see it using are Sitrus Berry for a healthy HP recovery and half health Unburden, or pinch berries to try sneak in a double stat boost. Non-offensive moves include Hypnosis, Will O’Wisp, Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, Destiny Bond, Stockpile, Disable, Recycle, Calm Mind and Baton Pass. While its offensive options range from STAB HP Flying/Shadowball, Thunderbolt and Explosion, all in all making it very unpredictable.

Walrein: 110/90/90 – Ice/Water

Stallrein is not an option in UU due to the banning of Abomasnow and Snover. Due to this Walrein loses its massive HP recovery but what it doesn’t lose is the still naturally large bulk. Easily EV’d to defend on either side and able to use Roar, Yawn, Stockpile, Encore allows it to still assume an effective defensive role. STAB attacks and Earthquake hit noticeably harder in this environment. However the large majority of Walrein’s counters in the standard game are all from UU.

Jumpluff: 75/70/85 – Grass/Flying
Jumpluff is fragile but fast at 110 speed. However what makes it a defensive pest is Leech Seed + Substitute + Leftovers providing damage and unstoppable healing and sponging at the same time. Sleep Powder almost always ensures it’ll be pulling off the combo every time. U-Turn, Aerial Ace/HP Flying not only cover fellow grasses immune to Leech Seed but the former also lets it make quick escapes when in danger. Some Jumpluff will also be equipped with Encore and take advantage of its major resistances to make some dangerous setups.

Gorebyss: 55/105/75 – Water
Gorebyss is a mixed offering, 114 special attack and Swift Swim gives it the second highest non-Uber water offense in the entire game. However it is also truly unique as having access to an abundance of buff moves, Aqua Ring and Baton Pass. Its special attack lets it utilize Ice Beam, Psychic or its STAB effective in a defensive or offensive configuration. Gorebyss has a unique niche as either a sturdy Rain Dance starter or the only Iron Defense/Amnesia BP’er in the entire game and being able to still threaten with its excellent offense. It will be however one of the rare threats you meet.

Torkoal can use Iron Defence ... its not used much but might as well mention it.

Politoed has access to refresh which I've found invaluable since opponents often like to poison it ...

Probably should mention Leech Seed on Vileplume (I don't remember how it gets it but its an option on Shoddy)

CAn't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Excellent guide Forsety, you seem to have covered all the major points on all the threats. One minor nitpick would be that Clefable has base 73 defense (you sure have a thing for the number 70). Other than that everything looks fine. Good job!

On a slightly different note, has anyone considered Linoone as worthy of a mention on the offensive list? It's not the most commonly seen threat by a long shot, but its unique Belly Drum/Extremespeed combo can be deadly against unprepared teams, with a decent 1048 max Attack. Carries Shadow Claw for Ghost coverage. Also not necessarily countered by the same Pokemon as you use to counter Swellow as its ability to learn Rock Smash to work off that massive boosted attack and even a couple of novelty special moves in Surf/Grass Knot means you have to think a bit more carefully when choosing your Steel or Rock type Pokemon to counter it.

Great defensive list. !_!
Feel free to add Hitmontop to the physical defenders, he honestly doesn't fucking die ever with Intimidate.

Made a few grammar changes and corrections as well as adding some extra lines, noticeable one being Sandslash does not learn Roar. I also put in notes about Hitmontop and Froslass being the top 2 used UU pokemon as thats important to know when team building.

@Bologo
That makes sense, also makes Wailord actually useful...

@ODDish
Didn't bother with Iron Defense simply because Curse and WoW are better. Refresh for Politoed was added, I added in a line about Leech Seed on Vileplume.

@Lemmiwinks
Its because 70 is a prettier number than 73 ;_;
Also I think you're right in saying Linoone is a massive threat. But its also safe to say being able to pull that off is a high risk/high payoff thats well deserved if you do. You don't even need to be terribly strong to finish it off in that situation, best strategy is just to attack.

@Pneuma
Hes under generic defensive, since the guy just never dies from anything.

Why was Kangaskan removed from the defensive threat list? It_never_dies_with_Wish. It's the best Spikes shuffler in UU imo because it can take nearly any unboosted hit and hit back with powerful Returns. You definitely need something that can take it out in one or two hits without dying in the process, or it can very feasibly stall you out.

Excellent work here Forsety, appreciate all the time you've spent on this, quite comprehensive and very informative if, as Serra Angel (Cynthia) noted, its a bit redundant, but there's its not bad at all, thanks!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Great work here guys, especially you Forsety. One itsy-bitsky nit pick regarding the offensive threat list is the lack of mention for SunnyBeamers. Victreebel, Shiftry, Vileplume and others can be a massive offensive threat if they or a team-mate uses Sunny Day so I'd like some opinions on that. It's been a long time since I've played UU so I can't possibly comment on whether they are common enough to warrant a mention but they're obviously much more viable than they are in the OU environment so I'd like some opinions on them!

One itsy-bitsky nit pick regarding the offensive threat list is the lack of mention for SunnyBeamers. [...] It's been a long time since I've played UU so I can't possibly comment on whether they are common enough to warrant a mention but they're obviously much more viable than they are in the OU environment so I'd like some opinions on them!
IMHO you answered your own question really, Sunndy Day simply isn't used.

Rain Dance is the dominant weather in UU, and I don't see it changing to be honest. There are too many good pokemon, and some not quite so good pokemon (I love you Parasect) who can abuse the Rain, unlike Sunny Day which is essentially limited to a few fire/grass types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)