[UU] The core.

Darkvirus here with my second UU RMT known as "The core".

Intro

As many UU players know there is a common Fire Water Grass core that generally consists of Moltres, Milotic and Venusaur due to thire superb synergy and being incredibly tough to break when played well.

The idea for this team came about from that core being so difficult to break but if one falls it can cause problems for the other two therefore I decided to make a duel core team that consists of 2 fire 2 water and 2 grass making it harder to break, at the same time breaking down the opponent to create an opening to be able to win.

At a glance

As you can see by the team 4 of the team have very high natural bulk easily able to shrug off resisted and most neutral attacks and due to the FWG core all have very good synergy with each other.

A closer look

Venusaur (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 56 HP/72 Atk/216 Spd/164 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb
Earthquake
Leaf Storm
---

The 1st choice like most people in UU for there grass part of the FWG core is venusaur due to its suburb base stats and a good offensive and support move pool. Choice scarf Venusaur lead is a reliable lead being able to shut down one of my opponents pokemon from the start hopefully being able to stop stealth rock getting up to hinder my switching ability. with a scarf attached it also makes a reasonable revenge killer with leaf storm/sludge bomb/earthquake offering good coverage.

Moveset
- Sleep Powder - puts an opponent to sleep making it useless until it wakes.
- Sludge Bomb - useful stab for hitting many things hard expect steel types/resists.
- Earthquake - good coverage move able to hit special walls reasonably well along with fire type switches.
- Leaf Storm - powerful stab able to hit anything that dose not resist/special walls for heavy damage

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 212 HP/252 Def/44 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Wood Hammer
Stealth Rock
Leech Seed
Earthquake
---

The second part of my grass part of the core is taken by a support Torterra is a pokemon I never used before as I had always used the rock polish variant and I have to say I am impressed in how well it takes physical hits like a champ with its ability to set up stealth rock take hits and give back strong hits with its great STAB's along with causing switches with leach seed.

Moveset
- Wood Hammer - Good physical stab shame about the recoil but with leach seed and leftover it is often negligible.
- Stealth Rock - Without this Moltres, scyther, swellow and all the other flying/fire types that are deadly in UU can have free switch but with this they have to take a minimum of 25%( depending on typing) making them more manageable.
- Leech Seed - superb for causing switching and help slowly break down walls at the same time as negating wood hammers recoil.
- Earthquake - again another Strong physical stab dealing reasonable damage to all who switch in.

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 156 Atk/252 Spd/100 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast
Dark Pulse
Sucker Punch
---

Part one of the fire duo is Houndoom who offers a good offensive platform to start putting pain into the opponents team and can open up holes quite easily. I have never used a Houndoom before and have found it to either be excellent or a waste of space. The EVs may look odd for a special sweeper to have more in attack then special attack but the 156Atk guarantees me a OKHO on any dugtrio who try to switch in to end my sweep early max speed if to be able to outspeed as much as i possibly can.

Moveset
- Nasty Plot - boosts special attack 2 stages to make sweeping easier.
- Fire Blast - Stab fire attack boosted by nasty plot able to punch holes in anything that dose not resist.
- Dark Pulse - Again good stab able to punch holes into most pokemon who resist fire.
- Sucker Punch a priority attack to be able to kill those who switch in to try stop me with priority of their own.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/84 Def/176 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
Roost
Toxic
Flamethrower
Substitute
---

The second part of the fire duo is the deadly moltres as it can run a few different sets and I have chosen the sub roost one which I have found in the past to be the hardest one to deal with sub on the switch toxic the next turn then alternate between roost and sub until toxic is too much and kills my opponent or switch out to someone that can stall it out. Moltres is very hard to break down if sets up and even with the x4 stealth rock weakness if one of the best defensive pokemon in UU with the added ability of its ability pressure making stalling out even easier as moves like stone edge, heal bell and other problematic moves only have 4PP instead of the normal 8.

Moveset
- Roost - 50% recovery move that take away all the weaknesses flying brings on a staller how could I not.
- Toxic one of the most deadly stats in the game due to the increasing damage per turn.
- Flamethrower - fire blast would be here if it was a sweeper but as a staller the PP of flame thrower is more useful then the power of fire blast .
- Substitute - blocks status and attacks making stalling even easier for tres

Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 28 HP/252 Atk/228 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Waterfall
---

Water type number 1. The main powerhouse of this team once the bulky water has fell and the grass and steal dented then after a single dragon dance he reaches a massive 508 Atk(+ life orb and sometimes torrent) and 373 Spe( enough to out speed max+ Spe Alakzam) this thing is deadly and has the ability to sweep though teams with the superb coverage that water/ground/ice has being able to hit Just about all of UU for neutral.

Moveset
- Dragon Dance - Boosts his already reasonable Att and Spe by one to be able to sweep.
- Earthquake - good coverage move being able to hit registeel hard
- Ice Punch - Again good coverage move being able to hit grass types hard
- Waterfall - Strong physical stab attack boosted by dragon dance Life orb and sometimes torrent

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
Surf
Recover
Ice Beam
Toxic
---

The final member of my team and 2nd water type the biggest pain in the ass for UU Milotic, this thing can toxic stall very well at the same time as walling physical sweepers with its great defences at the same time as being able to take non boosted/super effective special attacks with reasonable ease I normally find that the most common switch in to milo is Venusaur so quite often I lead off with an ice beam to put a large dent into it other Milotics tent to switch into/stay in again my Milotic just to have to deal with toxic poisoning.

Moveset
- Surf - Stab move with reasonable damage output even with no investment into Satk.
- Recover - 50% recovery on a toxic stalling wall can only be a good thing.
- Ice Beam - hits ice types hard on the switch and has reasonable coverage when combined with surf.
- Toxic - no toxic staller be complete without toxic as I said before one of the most deadly status on the game able to cripple walls

Closing thoughts

I have considered replacing Houndoom as only sometimes he pulls his weight on this team other times he is just death fodder to a mix magmorter to keep up one of my pokemon having good offensive capability's

I am open to breaking the duel core of this team if the idea seams worthy but id rather not if I can feel free to give this team a go and I hope you can help in some way to improve "The core"

(to be filled in soon)
Threatlist (curtsey of legacy raider)

Offensive

Absol - Venusaur outspeed and Ko's with leafstorm/sludge bomb

Aggron - all my team hurt it

Alakazam - houndoom & venusaur

Altaria - feraligatr & milotic

Ambipom - lead ambi gets slept by venu after taking the fakeout

Arcanine - milo & feraigatr

Azumarill - venu & torterra

Blaziken - venu outspeed with HPground milotic & feraligatr

Drapion - torterra & feraglitar

Dugtrio - torterra & milotic

Feraligatr - venusaur hits hard with leaf storm and milotic toxics and recover stalls

Hariyama - moltres scares it out, milotic takes very little

Hitmonlee - can be problimatic but milo recovers off most damage and torterra can take most hits but a ice punch

Hitmontop - moltres scares it out milo takes very little and so dose torterra

Houndoom - milotic can wall it well so can feraglitar

Kabutops - In rain this is deadly milotic recovers off damage to stall out rain

Leafeon - venu smacks it hard with sludge bomb moltres scared it off.

Ludicolo - smart switching to stall out rain and try toxic it with milo out of rain venu kills with sludge bomb

Magmortar - can be problem sub 3 attacks destroys my team choice ones switching+ prediction letting SR slowly kill it

Mesprit - never see but houndoom kills it with STAB dark attacks

Milotic - Toxic with my milotic venu + torterra scare it out/kill it

Mismagius - can be a problem behind a sub venusaur outspeed and stops it form setting up ( hopefully)

Moltres - milotic handles offensive with good health sub roost is problematic

Nidoking milotic venusaur and torterra

Omastar - torterra and venusaur

Poliwrath - venusaur and torterra

Rhyperior - moltres stalls out stone edge milotic surfs it

Rotom - choice works around with resistances subcharge can be a problem if it gets a sub up

Sceptile - venu outspeeds and Ko's with sludge bomb moltres scared it as dose houndoom

Scyther - DANGER DANGER venu deals with most with sludge bomb and hope for the KO

Swellow - can be deadly again suckerpunch fomr houndoom deals 70.1% - 82.8% with suckerpunch so after SR and 1 round of toxic/flame orb is a ohko ( unless it uses quick attack then I fucked

Torterra - my torterra damages it big time with woodhammer recoil on itself+ lifeorb defenci9ve version moltres and houndoom scare it out

Toxicroak - torterra and venusaur do well against it

Venusaur - my own venu deals good damage with sludge bomb moltres and houndoom

Defensive

Altaria - milo and fera

Blastoise - torterra and venusaur

Chansey - torterra and feraligatr

Claydol - all but moltres hits ahrd

Clefable - cosmic power ones are a big problem is houndooms NP fireblast misses as fere can only hope to keep up with its defence boosts

Cloyster - milotic takes it on well andtorterra and venu

Donphan - milotic

Hitmontop- moltres and milotic

Lanturn - can be a problem but venusaur deals with them nicley as dose torterra( when they lack ice beam)

Milotic - torterra & venu and milotic toxics it

Miltank - all but houndoom and feraligatr

Omastar - grass types

Regirock - grass + water types

Registeel - torterra moltres and houndoom

Rotom - houndoom

Slowbro - venusaur
Slowking - torterra

Spiritomb - venu smacks it about with stab attacks moltres toxic stalls it crotomb is dealt with my gatr

Steelix - water types and grass

Tangrowth - fires

Torterra- fires

Uxie - houndoom

Venusaur - fires

Weezing - can be a bitch to take down but falls to strong special attacks

Hi

this team looks very solid to me,but one suggestion,maybe change naive houndoom to hasty.You dont want to lower houndooms reasonable sdef by giving it a naive nature,now if you give it a hasty natre you are dropping its def which you may as well do since you can never expect houndoom to survive a physical attack.

Just a thought; on that Scarf Venusaur you have there... Dump EQ and invest those EV's into SpA, and then the rest into bulk. As far as I know, EQ on Scarf Venu was basically for Raikou, who has since been banned. If you like the coverage it gives you, you can always run HP Ground, too.

I agree with Vrai on venusaur,but if you dont want to be walled by chansey you could always use power whip over EQ.But i would recommend the previous comment.

Without a Spinner, Moltres is going to be in trouble a lot, and may end up being dead weight. I also think ScarfVenusaur is being misused as a lead and should really be a revenger in the mid-game. For that reason, I would switch Moltres to the lead position and make it an offensive variant with Life Orb.

Venusaur should drop back. I would also use HP Rock over Earthquake to slam incoming Fires, Fliers and Bugs, particularly Moltres and Scyther, the latter of which often needs to be revenged.

Also, I would drop Houndoom for Arcanine. Part of the theme of this team is bulk, which Houndoom sorely lacks, and you're not really putting any emphasis on eliminating Houndoom's counters or giving it time to set up. Also, Arcanine has reliable priority, something your team otherwise lacks, and it can take physical hits well due to Intimidate. (Run the bog-standard Morning Glory set.)

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi there. Due to your team's premise being rather unique I'll try not to change it too much and just suggest some tweaks that might fit it better.

- First of all, the most glaring weakness on your team is the lack of a spinner. With two mons weak to SR, one of them being 4x weak to it; added to a third Poké being choiced; the likelihood of hazards heavily messing up your team before you have the chance of working your strategy is quite big. With that in mind I recommend this Blastoise over Milotic:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam/Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight

Standart spinning set. It can do pretty much what Milotic used to (even though the lack of recovery and not being able to take on Moltres will hurt), but also comes with the added bonus of ridding your side of the field of hazards. Because of the outstanding weakness you have to SR, I think Foresight fits you better than Roar and Toxic, pretty much guaranteeing you'll be getting that spin off as long as you predict a switch and aren't up against a Dual Ghost Core (which is quite rare nowadays due to the removal of Froslass). In case you're wondering, those speed EVs allow you to outpace Jolly Rhyperior and Adamant Aggron; and Toxic was slashed right there so that you can do something against Feraligatr and Azumarill.

- Right now, I could see your team having a fair amount of problems against fast special attackers like Alakazam and Mismagius, which becomes even worse if Venusaur is removed from the match (not really hard to do if they switch Dugtrio in as you sleep it). Of course, you still have Houndoom to check them once Venusaur is given bye, but due to him not exactly fitting the definition of bulky pokémon that can take a hit, you'll need to predict their Substitutes and offensive moves flawlessly in order to use Sucker Punch or you're as good as boned. With that said, I recommend you use a specially defensive spread on Torterra composed of 212 HP/252 SpDef/44 Spe and a Careful Nature and with Synthesis over Leech Seed. Finally, you don't seem to be losing much using this new set because you already have a check to Pokés like Rhyperior in Blastoise.

- As for nitpicks, a Hasty Nature on Houndoom fits it better due to its physical defenses being already deplorable, while its special one actually allows it to switch into some weaker attacks like resisted Energy Balls and such. If Moltres or Torterra turn out to be too troublesome with the aformentioned changes, you could use Hidden Power Rock/Ice over Earthquake on Venusaur to deal with them accordingly (though I'm not sure Venusaur can OHKO them). Finally, I recommend you use a 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe spread on Venusaur and a Timid Nature to ensure you'll outpace things like RP Torterra, Electrode and DD Feraligatr, while capitalizing on Venusaur's most important offensive stat.

I think that's it for now. Good luck man =)

Replys to peoples comment on my team

Just a thought; on that Scarf Venusaur you have there... Dump EQ and invest those EV's into SpA, and then the rest into bulk. As far as I know, EQ on Scarf Venu was basically for Raikou, who has since been banned. If you like the coverage it gives you, you can always run HP Ground, too.
will do that I knew that it was there for a reason but I couldn't remember will change that now I plan on testing out HP rock/ground to find out which is more effective

Without a Spinner, Moltres is going to be in trouble a lot, and may end up being dead weight. I also think ScarfVenusaur is being misused as a lead and should really be a revenger in the mid-game. For that reason, I would switch Moltres to the lead position and make it an offensive variant with Life Orb.

Venusaur should drop back. I would also use HP Rock over Earthquake to slam incoming Fires, Fliers and Bugs, particularly Moltres and Scyther, the latter of which often needs to be revenged.

Also, I would drop Houndoom for Arcanine. Part of the theme of this team is bulk, which Houndoom sorely lacks, and you're not really putting any emphasis on eliminating Houndoom's counters or giving it time to set up. Also, Arcanine has reliable priority, something your team otherwise lacks, and it can take physical hits well due to Intimidate. (Run the bog-standard Morning Glory set.)
So far I have found venu to be a useful lead in immobilising one of my opponents pokemon early in the game with sleep powder giving me in effect a 6v5 advantage, and the amount of trick scarf leads who trick me giving me a free sleep powder is surprising.

Moltres i never have really found stealth rock to be a major problem due to roost with its ability to get free switches on ground moves and other physical attacks with its defences and proceed to roost of the damage.

Houndoom I find is necessary giving me 2 immunity I can switch in on NP up and cause problems for the other team and with the sucker punch priority helps me with my alakzam/mismagius problems as when they see nasty plot earlier in the game they think they are safe as they are faster arcanine is a concideration but takes far too much from a psychic from alakzam(67.5% - 79.8%) and a NP mismagius is doing 77.2% - 90.9% with a +2 shadow ball ( guaranteed okho after rocks)

Hi there. Due to your team's premise being rather unique I'll try not to change it too much and just suggest some tweaks that might fit it better.

- First of all, the most glaring weakness on your team is the lack of a spinner. With two mons weak to SR, one of them being 4x weak to it; added to a third Poké being choiced; the likelihood of hazards heavily messing up your team before you have the chance of working your strategy is quite big. With that in mind I recommend this Blastoise over Milotic:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam/Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight

Standart spinning set. It can do pretty much what Milotic used to (even though the lack of recovery and not being able to take on Moltres will hurt), but also comes with the added bonus of ridding your side of the field of hazards. Because of the outstanding weakness you have to SR, I think Foresight fits you better than Roar and Toxic, pretty much guaranteeing you'll be getting that spin off as long as you predict a switch and aren't up against a Dual Ghost Core (which is quite rare nowadays due to the removal of Froslass). In case you're wondering, those speed EVs allow you to outpace Jolly Rhyperior and Adamant Aggron; and Toxic was slashed right there so that you can do something against Feraligatr and Azumarill.

- Right now, I could see your team having a fair amount of problems against fast special attackers like Alakazam and Mismagius, which becomes even worse if Venusaur is removed from the match (not really hard to do if they switch Dugtrio in as you sleep it). Of course, you still have Houndoom to check them once Venusaur is given bye, but due to him not exactly fitting the definition of bulky pokémon that can take a hit, you'll need to predict their Substitutes and offensive moves flawlessly in order to use Sucker Punch or you're as good as boned. With that said, I recommend you use a specially defensive spread on Torterra composed of 212 HP/252 SpDef/44 Spe and a Careful Nature and with Synthesis over Leech Seed. Finally, you don't seem to be losing much using this new set because you already have a check to Pokés like Rhyperior in Blastoise.

- As for nitpicks, a Hasty Nature on Houndoom fits it better due to its physical defenses being already deplorable, while its special one actually allows it to switch into some weaker attacks like resisted Energy Balls and such. If Moltres or Torterra turn out to be too troublesome with the aformentioned changes, you could use Hidden Power Rock/Ice over Earthquake on Venusaur to deal with them accordingly (though I'm not sure Venusaur can OHKO them). Finally, I recommend you use a 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe spread on Venusaur and a Timid Nature to ensure you'll outpace things like RP Torterra, Electrode and DD Feraligatr, while capitalizing on Venusaur's most important offensive stat.

I think that's it for now. Good luck man =)
ill test blastoise over milotic but the lack of recovery could be a problem and with that change ill try out the Sdef torterra with that but with only 85 Sdef compaired to its 105 Def the difference could be quite noticeable. ill fix houndooms nature as i dident pay attentino to its defences.

If you are keeping Houndoom, change the EVS to 156SpA/252Spe/100Atk....You mixed up the 2 attacking EVs. Only 100 Atk EVs are needed to OHKO Dugtrio after rocks

my current EV spread dose 99.5% - 117.5% to the standard dugtrio so i can ohko with or without rocks
I know...my point is that they are wasted EVs seeing as you are pretty much always going to have rocks up by the time Houndoom comes out. Houndoom wants as many EVs as possible in Special Attack, and wasting 56 of them in Attack for a pokemon that is #26 in usage, and is OHKOed with rocks anyway is just silly.

Summary - Make the spread 100Atk/156SpA/252Spe

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
On feraligatr, I'd suggest running a 92 HP/252 Attack/168 Speed Spread with jolly to outspeed swellow after a dd, as a Facade/Brave Bird/Quick Attack/Protect Swellow could absolutely wreck your team if anything happens to venu.

Outside that, I'd recommend a spinner, the blastoise set looks good. My last suggestion is to replace houndoom for the less frail Arcanine. The nature depends on whether or not you have a spinner. Flash fire if you add the spinner, as feraligatr and blastoise will get worn down even by resisted Fire Blasts, and if you keep milotic use intimidate to add bulk. Milo can switch into any fire attack and recover off the damage, so it's not an issue.

Another threat to this team looks like Substitute/Tbolt/Flamethrower/HP Ice Manectric. That thing dismantles fwg though, so not much you can do about it short of adding a water/ground type, but it's not a large enough threat to warrant a team slot.

It looks like a solid team, using some of the standards of uu and letting you absorb a ton of attacks.

At first I was skeptical that two Venusaur and Torterra could coexist, but you seem to have everything worked out. It's very well balanced. However. . .

Is it necessary that you have Moltres doing that particular job? It doesn't really have a job with the synergy of your core since moves directed at your Water types can either go to Houndoom or Torterra. Moltres takes Grass moves and scares away their users, but so does Houndoom. You don't need two for that job, and your weakness to Stealth Rock almost dissapears if you get rid of Moltres. I suggest getting something better suited for a ToxicStalling job.

Spiritomb @Leftovers/Chesto
Pressure
252 HP/140 Def/116 SpD
Toxic
Pain Split/Rest
Shadow Sneak
Spite/Memento

It gives you an immunity to Fighting attacks directed at Houndoom (should you keep it) and keeps the strategy of using Pressure on low-PP moves. Actually it does it better with Spite. And it's bulkier. The only thing you lose is a poweful attack, but that doesn't appear to be Moltres' purpose.

I have tested the blastoice over milotic and the different Ev spread for torterra and i missed the recovery that milotic has over blastoice therefore milotic stays now with milo staying ill keep testing out the Sdef Ev's on torterra and see how it works.

nature for venu and houndoom changed (venu also has HP ground over EQ)

On feraligatr, I'd suggest running a 92 HP/252 Attack/168 Speed Spread with jolly to outspeed swellow after a dd, as a Facade/Brave Bird/Quick Attack/Protect Swellow could absolutely wreck your team if anything happens to venu.

Outside that, I'd recommend a spinner, the blastoise set looks good. My last suggestion is to replace houndoom for the less frail Arcanine. The nature depends on whether or not you have a spinner. Flash fire if you add the spinner, as feraligatr and blastoise will get worn down even by resisted Fire Blasts, and if you keep milotic use intimidate to add bulk. Milo can switch into any fire attack and recover off the damage, so it's not an issue.

Another threat to this team looks like Substitute/Tbolt/Flamethrower/HP Ice Manectric. That thing dismantles fwg though, so not much you can do about it short of adding a water/ground type, but it's not a large enough threat to warrant a team slot.

It looks like a solid team, using some of the standards of uu and letting you absorb a ton of attacks.
To reply to this I like being able to outspeed alakzam after a single DD as it can be a threat to my team arcanine i have considered but I prefer the offensive power of houndoom and i have never seen a manetric so far.

At first I was skeptical that two Venusaur and Torterra could coexist, but you seem to have everything worked out. It's very well balanced. However. . .

Is it necessary that you have Moltres doing that particular job? It doesn't really have a job with the synergy of your core since moves directed at your Water types can either go to Houndoom or Torterra. Moltres takes Grass moves and scares away their users, but so does Houndoom. You don't need two for that job, and your weakness to Stealth Rock almost dissapears if you get rid of Moltres. I suggest getting something better suited for a ToxicStalling job.

Spiritomb @Leftovers/Chesto
Pressure
252 HP/140 Def/116 SpD
Toxic
Pain Split/Rest
Shadow Sneak
Spite/Memento

It gives you an immunity to Fighting attacks directed at Houndoom (should you keep it) and keeps the strategy of using Pressure on low-PP moves. Actually it does it better with Spite. And it's bulkier. The only thing you lose is a poweful attack, but that doesn't appear to be Moltres' purpose.
Moltres is one of the best sub roost stallers of UU and if it wasent for the StealthRock weakness it would be OU( i personaly think) and I have atempted to use spite tomb before but it dident do the job as it is very vunrable to stats and when sleeping is dead weight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)