SM OU Updating my ORAS team

So, I suppose the prefix is a bit of a misnomer. This is the team that I've used for ORAS and did fairly well with (It was a least fun to play with). With the introduction to SM, I'd like to reevaluate my choices and make alterations to deal with all the new changes to the meta. Specifically, I think this team needs help against all the new fairies (like the Tapus) and new hyper offensive set up with Ultra Beasts and the like.

The team is a pretty basic Sableye + Chansey Stall team with a focus on dishing out as many status conditions as possible. I know it has its flaws. For instance, Keldeo would blow holes through this team 9/10. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Confuse Ray
- Shadow Ball

Pretty Basic Sableye. I will admit, the Mega Sableye ban really threw a wrench in things. However, it's still hard to find a better utility thanks to prankster. He almost always manages to burn half the opponent's team before being in any real danger

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Again,pretty basic. It's hard to find a better cleric in the meta. One of the highest HP base stats in the game, plus Eviolite makes it a hard wall to break.

Heatran @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 160 HP / 124 Def / 124 SpA / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Roar

Heatran adds some necessary punch to the team and helps deal with fairies like Clefable that try to switch in on Sableye. Heatran also helps with a lot of the sweepers that need a lot of time to set up with belly drum, calm mind etc. thanks to substitute and roar.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

I mostly use Gengar here as a pivot/support pokemon. He helps to absorb fighting moves and ground attacks thanks to levitate (this is one of the things I need to look at now with SM, seeing as his ability is now cursed body)

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 100 HP / 84 SpA / 204 SpD / 120 Spe
Gentle Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost

Zapdos is here as an entry hazard remover and to help me deal with pokemon like Azumaril. It's decently fast and can usually paralyze and let off a few thunderbolts before needing to roost.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Last, but not least, Conkeldurr helps deal with freakin Bisharp and opposing Heatrans. He's nice to switch in and absorb status conditions too, thanks to guts (Chansey can always Heal bell later).

That's the team in a nut shell. Generally, I enjoy stall, but I'm willing to at least listen to any advice from everyone out there. I've been using this team for a few weeks now and its gotten me up to a 1300+ ELO, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Your help is appreciated.

Hey, after rereading the RMT rules, I realized I should probably be a little more descriptive about their sets so others can better see what I was trying to accomplish and help update me for SM. Here we go:

Sableye
Leftovers is to try and help Sableye last as long as possible with a little free recovery. Most of his moves are non damaging in order to take advantage of prankster. On the other hand, shadow ball provides STAB and stops Sableye from being completely vulnerable to taunt. I usually try to have the opponent both burned and confused before either using continuous shadow balls or switching to another pokemon to try and force a switch.

Chansey
Chansey's main purpose is to heal the rest of the team and force the other team to waste time and moves on Chansey. Heal bell offers the necessary clerical support (especially important for Heatran and Conkeldurr who, otherwise, don't have good recovery moves). Soft boiled is for recovery. Seismic toss is nice because it whittles away set amounts of damage despite Chansey's horrible attack stat. This works especially nice on pokemon running things like life orb. Unless they're running close combat, it's hard to do any real damage to Chansey. Meanwhile, they're loosing additional life from a previous burn, life orb, and 100 hp every turn from Chansey. I will admit that Stealth rock is a bit of a slot filler here, Chansey almost always has time to set it up, which is nice, but I usually don't get her out until at least mid game, which kind of defeats the purpose of rocks in my opinion. Suggestions are welcome.

Heatran
Substitute is used here to help defensively against pokemon that need to use 2-3 calm minds or sword dances before attacking. I use this mostly when I'm not sure whether or not they're carrying something like earthquake. Furthermore, roar is used here to force the switch and reset their stats. Otherwise, once behind a sub, magma storm and flash cannon provide good STAB. Plus, magma storm continues to whittle away damage each turn, which adds up when added on top of other status conditions like toxic or burn.

Gengar
Gengar's typing usually doesn't scare people into switching, allowing me to use him as a good intermediary between two pokemon. For instance, if someone throws out Cloyster on Zapdos, I can switch to Gengar first in order to spread toxic and stall a bit before switching to Heatran or another pokemon. Destiny bond can be a nice trap to set. However, i find it's more effective as a stall than anything else. Most people just wait out for the bond to end, which allows the toxic to do it thing longer. The same logic goes for protect. Shadow ball is for STAB and to stop taunt users from prevailing.

Zapdos
Zapdos is fast enough to use defog on people who like to use Skarmory/Hippodon/Garchomp first thing and depends on the spikes/stealth rock damage to save them. Since I don't really rely on entry hazards I don't care about it working on both sides of the board. Thunderwave helps me still get status on Heatran who, otherwise, is immune to my traps. Thunderbolt for the obvious STAB. Roost is to prolong the stall with recovery after recovery.

Conkeldurr
I want him as bulky as possible while still being able to answer threats, so I went with an assault vest. Mach punch works nice to add the last bit of damage if I suspect he won't last much longer or the opponent only has a bit left. Drain punch is for STAB while allowing for some sort of recovery option. Knock off is for leftover users as well as pokemon like Gliscor holding toxic orb (which stops me from implementing my own status). This also provides coverage against psychics like Gardevoir or M Alakazam. Lastly, Ice punch helps me deal with Dragonite, Hydreigon, and Gliscor. Gliscor is great to switch Conkeldurr in on when his main focus is to spread toxic. That way, I get a nice boost thanks to guts before hitting him with ice punch and switching out with Chansey to heal.

There you have it, I hope that adds any missing detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)