Unpopular opinions

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Fair enough, let's keep a single exception for when Surf or Dive are actively being used by the Pokémon you want to change moves for.
They couldn't even code Surfing properly as recently as ORAS (when you're Surfing on a Wailmer and it evolves, the game freezes). There's no way they'd pull off something as comparatively complex as what you suggested.

Or the simplest of all: make HM moves forgettable without a Move Deleter.

Why can't they be replaced by level-up moves? Even back in Gen I, it made little sense as you could simply teach them the move again.
In Gen I, there was only one item pocket, so depositing HMs into your PC was fairly common after you taught the moves. What if you forgot an HM move needed to leave the area you were at, with no way to access the PC and thus the HMs?

Gen II games and Ruby/Sapphire also allowed you to deposit HMs, Even though the games had a dedicated TM/HM pocket that could fit all of them at once.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I got another unpopular opinion so that it’s not a one-liner; Exceptional Pokémon (600 BST second evolutions) having Dragon-type since Generation 4 throughout Generation 8 started to become stale and tired by itself, even if each of them were memorable in their own right, especially Garchomp and Dragapult.

We already have two Exceptional Pokémon that does not have Dragon-type since their introduction - Tyranitar and Metagross - so what is stopping Game Freak from making at least another one? Grimmsnarl was even mistaken for one due to how fierce it looks, albeit in hindsight, not being one is for the better due to access of Prankster.
I was really hoping that, since Gen VIII was base on the UK, that they'd make the pseudo a Fairy; specifically Oberon and Titania, the king and queen of the faeries.

But yeah, we REALLY need to start stepping away from the Dragon psuedos. Don't know why GF is so hung up on them. There's plenty of other "super" mythical creatures which could be made into the psuedo. Like one I personally made was a Water/Poison Kraken (I know that makes it sound like just a bigger Tentacruel... and honestly it sort of is but its at least a physical attacker).

Here's an idea: Have HM moves' power scale up, with +5 BP for every badge you get after acquiring the move. So for example Rock Smash starts at 40 pre-gym 1, but by the end becomes 80 BP
Eh, something as simple as that I don't feel would work (not to mention we have some Status HMs). This is what I came up with:

• Cut:
    * Power:
    Starts with 40; 1 Badge=45, 2=50, 3=55, 4=60, 5=65, 6=70, 7=75, 8=85.
    * Additional Effect: Copy of Brick Break's effect of lifting screens.
  • Fly: Power starts with 55; 1 Badge=60, 2=65, 3=70, 4=75, 5=80, 6=85, 7=90, 8=100.
  • Surf: Power starts with 45; 1 Badge=50, 2=55, 3=60, 4=65, 5=70, 6=75, 7=80, 8=90.
  • Strength:
    * Power:
    Starts with 40; 1 Badge=45, 2=50, 3=55, 4=60, 5=65, 6=70, 7=75, 8=85.
    * Additional Effect: In Double battles forces target to swap places with an adjacent ally. If you do so before a target had attacked they now aim for the other target.
  • Waterfall: Power starts with 40; 1 Badge=45, 2=50, 3=55, 4=60, 5=65, 6=70, 7=75, 8=85.
  • Rock Smash: Power starts with 30, 1 Badge=35, 2=40, 3=45, 4=50, 5=55, 6=60, 7=65, 8=75.
  • Flash:
    * Chance of decreasing Accuracy by 2 stages instead of by 1:
    Starts at 0%; 1 Badge=10%, 2=20%, 4=25%, 5=30%, 6=33%, 8=50%.
    * Additional Effect: Having 3 Badges will have it target all adjacent opponents instead of one (the chance of decreasing Accuracy if individually rolled), having 7 Badges has it so if one target's Accuracy is decreased by 2 then all are.
  • Whirlpool:
    * Power:
    Starts with 35; 1 Badge=40, 2=45, 4=50, 5=55, 6=60, 8=70.
    * Additional Effect: Having 3 Badges will have it target all adjacent opponents instead of one (Accuracy is rolled individually), having 7 Badges has it so if one target is hit all of them are.
  • Dive: Power starts with 55; 1 Badge=60, 2=65, 3=70, 4=75, 5=80, 6=85, 7=90, 8=100.
  • Defog: Chance of only clearing your side of the field of Hazards: Starts with 0%; 1 Badge=10%, 2=15%, 3=20%, 4=25%, 5=30%, 6=35%, 7=40%, 8=50%.
  • Rock Climb:
    * Power:
    Starts with 65; 1 Badge=70, 2=75, 4=80, 5=85, 6=90, 8=100.
    * Additional Effect: Having 3 Badges will increase chance of Confusion to 33%, having 7 Badges will make it 75%.
I'd also would have given Cut, Strength, and Rock Climb the property of changing into certain Types if the user would have gotten STAB from that Type:

Cut: Flying, Rock, Bug, Steel, Grass, Ice, Dragon, Dark
Strength: Fighting, Ground, Rock, Steel, Dragon
Rock Climb: Fighting, Ground, Rock, Bug, Steel, Dragon

Mines probably would need testing to tweak the numbers, but I think the main idea gets across how I would have them improve as you get more Badges.

This was already mentioned above I think but I'm more certain of it now: Greninja is the weakest of the 3 Kalos starters

I think Chesnaught's line gets way too much flack. Chespin is an adorable little fella and for me is one of the strongest first evolutions of any starter line. Quilladin is...goofy, but most middle stagers tend to be, and atleast it's funny in how goofy and dumb it looks, compared to just flat out ugly middle stagers like Prinplup or Croconaw. Then it evolves into the awesome Chesnaught. A big, grandpa looking tank of a Pokemon. He exudes raw power. I love how his shell shakes around when he delivers powerful punches. And it's even a little cute. The color scheme isn't the greatest but I think it's still pretty nice and relaxing. Overall the Chesnaught line is definitely one of my favorite starter lines in general, and my favorite of the Kalos starters

Then Delphox, another line that I feel gets too much hate. Fennekin is so fucking cute, rivaled only by Scorbunny. Braixen is also really cute, especially with the twig in it's tail. Delphox is a teeny, tiny step down from Braixen, but I still think it looks awesome. The ear fluff is a bit much and it looks goofy in 3D but other than that, I really like it.

And now the Greninja line...Froakie is adorable too, I love Froakie. Not as much as Chespin and definitely not as much as Fennekin, but still really cute. I actually really like Frogadier. I mean it's not my favorite middle stager by any means but I like it. Greninja...ugh. I want to like Greninja. Some of the aspects of it's design are really cool. I love how sleek it looks. But then it has that stupid tongue scarf. The idea of a Frog Ninja using it's tongue as a Scarf is definitely clever, but only on paper. In practice...it's just gross. Maybe I'm too squeamish or sensitive but I just don't like it. It's design in the Detective Pikachu movie definitely didn't help. I think if they kept the Frubbles (Grubbles?) or maybe some sort of "water scarf" instead I'd like Greninja a lot more but as it stands it's my least favorite Kalos starter. Ash-Greninja is cool though, almost makes me forget it's wearing it's slimy tongue as a scarf. But I can definitely understand why people like it, because really it's only one aspect that turns it off for me, one that some people find cool.

Another one that just isn't ripping on the frog: I don't think Cinderace is that bad. The pants are pretty weird but other than that it's a fine design, probably my favorite of the Galar starters.

One more: I don't think Charizard getting two Megas is a bad thing, but I do think it's bad that it got two while the other two Kanto starters only got one. Be consistent. Speaking of that, why didn't the Gen 6 starters get Megas? I want Mega Chesnaught :(

I think if they kept the Frubbles (Grubbles?) or maybe some sort of "water scarf" instead
Greninja does actually maintain the bubble theme kind of but it's very understated. Those white circles on its limbs are actually bubbles, which is best seen in its Smash Bros victory animation where they're translucent and jiggly. But yeah, while I think Greninja on its own is cool as all hell (the tongue scarf doesn't bother me at all, it's just really clever) it doesn't really fit in with Froakie or Frogadier. The bubble theme that was central to its prevos is reduced to an easily-overlooked minor detail. Chestnaught struggles in this department too, I think, between its drastic change in color and disposition. The Delphox family is definitely the most cohesive family of the three, even if I don't particularly like any of the Pokemon in that family.

I think the tongue scarf is just me being squeamish or easily grossed out. I might get over that in the future but like...imagine hugging a Greninja, I think that'd feel weird (huggability is very important to my opinion of a Pokemon)

Chesnaught's line does also look somewhat weird when you put them together but I think they're good enough to where it doesn't bother me.

I think the reason Greninja looks so different compared to Frogadier and Froakie is because I remember hearing about how it was co-designed by the people at Smash Bros. I could be wrong but I swore I heard that somewhere.

I don't usually post design opinions since I think it's too subjective to spark a discussion. But since we're on the topic I'll try.

First unpopular opinion, I agree with Chadlad, I'm not a fan of Greninja's design. Everything other than the tongue is executed quite well. But the tongue is frankly so disgusting it drags down the rest of the design for me.

Second unpopular opinion, I'm a fan of Gen 5's final starter designs. I don't think any of them is spectacular but they're all pretty solid. Post Gen 5 the only starter design I really like is Decidueye's to be honest.

Last unpopular opinion, I don't like Blaziken's design. I find it quite jarring from head to toe to be honest. Its hair is incredibly bizarre, I've never liked it growing in separate directions like that. Its legs are frankly awful. It looks like its wearing bell bottom pants. The color scheme of white, orange and yellow kind of works for a Fire type but undercuts what I think should be a grittier color scheme for a Fighting type.

1630207353479.png

Plus in what I think is the definitive Hoenn game (Emerald) its sprite has beady black eyes that really don't look intimidating at all. The only thing I like about its design are its hands, coupling both as chicken claws as well as hands wrapped in tape as many fighters do. That's pretty cool. But other than that I don't like it, sorry.

This did not give Fire Fighting starters a good start in my opinion. Thankfully Infernape more than salvaged the typing and even Emboar was better than Blaziken in my view, both design and in game battle wise.

Are we the same person? Everything you describe about Greninja is exactly what I think about it, I also really like the Gen 5 starters (Emboar being my second favorite fire starter after Charizard and Infernape)

I love Blaziken, but I also hate it. It's design is awesome, and also fucking stupid. I really don't know how I feel about it, to be honest.

Last edited:
I have one more Starter opinion: Meganium is the best Johto starter.

I already don't care much about the Johto starters but I think Meganium's line is pretty cool. Chikorita is one of the cutest first stage grass starters, Bayleef is the most adorable middle stage grass starter, and Meganium is a step down but still fine. It kinda sucks ass competitively or casually but I mean, I could make it work.

As for the other, I like Cyndaquil and Quilava, but Typhlosion is kinda boring. Maybe they can patch it up with a Hisuian variant :psysly:

Totodile is cute and it just goes downhill from there into my least favorite water starter evolutions ever. Yes, worse than Inteleon or Drizzile.

Alright this is my last starter opinion cause I'm out of them, I tend to like starters a lot, even ones I'll never use.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like the Gen 5 starters in terms of design (Samurott is awesome imo, Serperior has a nice, slick, and beautiful design, Emboar I'm pretty indifferent towards though), but the issue I do have with them is their battle capabilities. I find that in battle, particular in-game, they are pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure what ultimately happened with them, but stat wise they seem to try to go for a jack-of-all-trades build but end up becoming a master of none in the process. And in doing so, their in game performances are overall very mediocre.

Samurott is the best of the three for an in-game run, and is an overall good Pokemon imo and I don't think it's inherently bad, per se, but at the same time it's also not too interesting. It's considered the worst of the Water-type starters in battle, and that's not because it underperforms, but because it's practically white bread amongst the brethren of Water-types. Compared to the likes of Swampert and Empoleon before it, who had epic second typings and the stats to make them great tanks, Samurott just comes off as a bit underwhelming in that regard. Even moreso when compared to the three who came after, Greninja, Primarina, and even Inteleon, as Gren and Primarina have great second typings, the former is insanely fast, and Primarina has a lot of raw power to back itself up plus good special bulk and Calm Mind. Inteleon even stands out a bit more in battle because it's just fast and strong and goes for a clear direction, while Samurott is just a mixed attacker but isn't fast enough to really sweep. Its typing is also pretty bland because it's pretty similar to Feraligatr who was in the game just prior to Samurott's, HGSS, so that immediately just makes Samurott less interesting considering it has many similarities to Feraligatr in that regard. It's the least egregious of the Unova Starters in the grand scheme of things, because in spite of being generic it's still a good Pokemon in-game, just not spectacular.

But then you get to, say, Serperior and this mon just underwhelms in-game. Lack of immediate power combined with a shallow movepool means it can't really sweep like other starters can, despite being fast, and it relies on a very slow gimmick to sweep with Coil+Leech Seed+Leaf Blade. This takes a while to get going, and while this is effective late game it's not exactly fun, which is what a starter should be first and foremost in-game. Its matchups in-game are also really bad, all the way starting from Burgh and except with Clay, it struggles against just about every Gym Leader. At least other Grass-type starters like Chesnaught have coverage to have a fighting chance in their games. Serperior? Nah. It's pretty lacking in both offense and support, if it had something like Poison Powder or Sleep Powder like Meganium and Venusaur did in the past, or the offensive prowess of Torterra, then maybe it would've been good in-game, but nope. It's just a mediocre setup sweeper that relies too much on its setups and doesn't have any coverage to back itself up. When you have to rely on Return as any semblance of coverage that's pretty sad.

Emboar is also mediocre, and in some ways I've found myself to have even worse experiences with it in-game than Serperior. It has a strong early game up to Burgh, but from there it's just bad news for the Tepig line all the way. Its stuck with its best Fighting STAB being Arm Thrust for a long time, and its best Fire STAB is Flame Charge, plus Pignite is very slow and not all that bulky. Elesa, Clay, and Skyla all wipe the floor with it. It evolves into Emboar, and except for Brycen, things still don't get better for it. Its best STAB is either Hammer Arm from the relearner, which is nothing compared to Infernape's Close Combat from the gen prior, or Brick Break. It lacks a good Fire STAB outside of Heat Crash which is very inconsistent, and perhaps Flamethrower which comes from Emboar's weaker offensive stat, which doesn't come until Level 43. This is quite bad. Emboar also has the awkward combination of being both frail and slow, which is never a good combination to have on a Pokemon, especially a starter. It struggles against half the Elite Four, and N and Ghetsis don't pull any punches either. Its best move doesn't come until Level 62, which is post game, and Emboar's best moves, Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Head Smash, all demand that Emboar hurt itself, if not KO itself in the process, which is bad.

The other issue with them, especially with Serperior and Emboar, is that they are ironically outclassed by other normal Pokemon of their types even in the context of their own game, especially BW1. Unova is not short on Grass-types, and almost all of them are better than Serperior in-game except Amoonguss and Whimsicott. Right after you get two badges you can get Petilil and Sewaddle, and both Lilligant and Leavanny are better than Serperior because they have more immediate power, while Lilligant has Sleep Powder to incapacitate an opponent and set up while needing fewer turns and hitting harder in the grand scheme of things. Later on Sawsbuck and Ferrothorn become available, and both are also much stronger late game than Serperior as Sawsbuck has STAB on Return, more power, and good coverage in Jump Kick, Megahorn, and Wild Charge and later on Swords Dance as well. Ferrothorn is slower, but it also has many more resistances, more bulk, more immediate power, and options such as Gyro Ball, Payback, and Bulldoze to cover what its Grass STAB cannot. Meanwhile with Emboar, Darmanitan straight up murders any reason you would want to use Emboar. Darmanitan is stronger, faster, gets Flare Blitz and Hammer Arm/Superpower earlier than Emboar and naturally, and has Sheer Force to boost its power even more while not having some of the glaring weaknesses Emboar has. Emboar is also a mediocre Fighting type and on that half, you have more specialized Fighting-types like Conkeldurr, Sawk, and Scrafty who have better Fighting STAB and more tools at their disposal to make them competent threats, moreso than Emboar. Samurott is the least outclassed of the three, but that's also partially because Unova is pretty dry on available Water-types as they are either too rare (Simpour), have some issues (Seismitoad), come too late and underleveled to be of efficient (Jellicent, Basculin), or just plain suck (Alomomola).

When you're outclassed by other normal Pokemon of your type, that's pretty terrible. Contrast that to the Kanto starters: Venusaur and Charizard are by far the best options of their types since Victreebel and Vileplume are both watered down Venusaur, while Arcanine and Ninetales rely on being stone evos and that comes with its issues. Blastoise has more competition, but it has the edge of coming early and not needing a shit ton of grinding to be useful. When it comes down to it, no matter which starter you choose, you're getting the best end of the deal for that type. Not every starter has to be like that, but many of them are at least very fun and unique with neat stat spreads and movepools that make them fun, reliable, and dependable so they feel good to use.

And a starter need not have secondary typings either. The Sinnoh, Kalos, and Alola starters benefit for sure, and combined with their specialized roles makes it so that in those cases, all three starters are fun and splashable to use because they have nice movepools and typings (moreso Sinnoh and Kalos, Alola starters suffer from being slow as sin), and Hoenn's starters also benefit as well. But look at the Galar starters for instance: all three of them are single typed, but their stats are slightly min-maxed to optimize them for a particular role, and they have fun signature moves and are fast/strong enough to be reliable for an in-game playthrough. The Johto starters are among the weaker starters, but in the Johto games themselves they are competent enough to do their assigned roles with grace.

In my eyes, at least, a Starter Pokemon should first and foremost be a fun and splashable Pokemon to use in game. A starter is supposed to be your partner and friend whom you rely on as your most trusted ally in your journey, and many of them nail it by being good, solid, and reliable Pokemon, and in many cases quite fun to use. But the Unova starters completely fail in this front: they have nice designs, sure, but that doesn't make up for their mediocre battle capabilities as all three of them are lacking in some front: one is pretty generic and boring, one is both weak and lacks a good movepool, and one has the bad combination of being frail and slow while all of its best moves demand that it hurt itself. It sucks even more when they are arguably outclassed by better Pokemon you can find in the grass, especially in BW2 when there's even less reason to keep them because of the increase of available options.

Now I will concede: I don't think Serperior, Emboar, and Samurott are inherently bad Pokemon. But as starters, they are pretty poor. There's a distinct feeling that I should get from using a starter Pokemon in-game and with the exception of Samurott, the Unova starters just couldn't get that feeling down right. Samurott is the only one that's a good Pokemon in-game but in the grand scheme of things it's arguably the least interesting Water starter thus far in terms of battle capabilities.

I haven't played Gen 5 games yet so I can't comment on the battle prowess of the starters but I've heard horror stories about Serperior. I mostly like them due to their pretty cool designs (Samurott being my current favorite of the 3) but if a starter feels unfun to use in a casual playthrough, then yeah, it's failed as a starter.

It's considered the worst of the Water-type starters in battle, and that's not because it underperforms, but because it's practically white bread amongst the brethren of Water-types.
99% of Water-types in-game are white bread to begin with. :psysly:

Seriously, sometimes I don't even remember which one I'm using. Most of them are slow, bulky mons running Surf for STAB/HM utility and Ice Beam for coverage.

I liked using Serperior precisely due to that Coil+Leech Seed+Leaf Blade+Return/Substitute set. I don't see how that's unfun, especially as it allows Serpy to solo a lot of trainers it would otherwise have issues with.
I used this exact set in Pokemon White (picked Return as a fourth move) and had lots of fun. In White 2, I bred Ferrothorn to have Curse+Leech Seed+Power Whip+Gyro Ball and had even more fun. There is something extremely satisfying in looking at your opponent's helpless struggle as you suck life out of him while boosting.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Let us swim by ourselves already
just lock it behind a swimsuit on the same city as the 6th Gym
Do this for all HMs. You get a chainsaw instead of Cut, you get a big hammer instead of Rock Smash, and so on. It's cool, actually makes sense, and removes the need to either get an HM slave or waste a bunch of moveslots on garbage moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)