Unpopular opinions

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If a Battle Frontier DLC proves to be as profitable or more so than SwSh's DLCs then it becomes a worthwhile endeavor for GF to invest in the future. If not, GF puts this to bed and we as a community (myself included) get over the fact that enhanced battle facilities are never coming back.
This is a bit of a speculation, but considering how much buzz the Battle Frontier gets on the Internet I think the latter situation would be an unlikely scenario frankly should they make Battle Frontier DLC. It may mostly appeal to hardcore battlers but it's so valued by the people who did engage in the Frontier that even if as of that time they weren't the majority, they sure as hell are vocal about it. I think even Masuda himself actually acknowledged someone on Twitter talking about their Frontier records even, can't recall the Tweet though.

I think in the present day and age, especially if they find ways to make the Battle Frontier more accessible (which would help make it more popular imo), if they put it in as DLC I think it would make the Frontier even more popular than it is now. Back in the Emerald and Platinum days it wasn't as easy to spread the word about it or talk about how many people enjoyed it because the Internet wasn't as big as it is today, but in today's world where we have the likes of Twitter and other massive social media platforms the massively vocal fanbase would generate enough buzz about the Frontier to encourage even newcomers to the idea to get into it, and that in itself would make great marketing. It might not have been *that* popular back then, but that was mainly because of how much harder it was to market it back then plus lack of accessibility. A great way to make it profitable exists today: finding a way to make it conducive to newer players to help them get into it while still making it a fun challenge for even hardcore players would be a great way to get both audiences in, and of course given the nature of the modern day Internet and the rise of social media nowadays, generating the needed buzz and hype to encourage more and more people to get into it will ensure it ends up a profitable endeavor imo.

Of course, I can't say for sure that they will do it, but in an ideal circumstance, they really should. They have nothing to lose, and I think it has potential to appeal even more widely today because of how prolific the Internet is and how easy for the word of mouth about it is to get out in the present day. If they do, however, I don't imagine we will know until after BDSP releases: after all, Sword and Shield's Expansion Pass wasn't unveiled until after the game came out and no one had a clue it was going to happen until then.

This is a bit of a speculation, but considering how much buzz the Battle Frontier gets on the Internet I think the latter situation would be an unlikely scenario frankly should they make Battle Frontier DLC. It may mostly appeal to hardcore battlers but it's so valued by the people who did engage in the Frontier that even if as of that time they weren't the majority, they sure as hell are vocal about it. I think even Masuda himself actually acknowledged someone on Twitter talking about their Frontier records even, can't recall the Tweet though.

I think in the present day and age, especially if they find ways to make the Battle Frontier more accessible (which would help make it more popular imo), if they put it in as DLC I think it would make the Frontier even more popular than it is now. Back in the Emerald and Platinum days it wasn't as easy to spread the word about it or talk about how many people enjoyed it because the Internet wasn't as big as it is today, but in today's world where we have the likes of Twitter and other massive social media platforms the massively vocal fanbase would generate enough buzz about the Frontier to encourage even newcomers to the idea to get into it, and that in itself would make great marketing. It might not have been *that* popular back then, but that was mainly because of how much harder it was to market it back then plus lack of accessibility. A great way to make it profitable exists today: finding a way to make it conducive to newer players to help them get into it while still making it a fun challenge for even hardcore players would be a great way to get both audiences in, and of course given the nature of the modern day Internet and the rise of social media nowadays, generating the needed buzz and hype to encourage more and more people to get into it will ensure it ends up a profitable endeavor imo.

Of course, I can't say for sure that they will do it, but in an ideal circumstance, they really should. They have nothing to lose, and I think it has potential to appeal even more widely today because of how prolific the Internet is and how easy for the word of mouth about it is to get out in the present day. If they do, however, I don't imagine we will know until after BDSP releases: after all, Sword and Shield's Expansion Pass wasn't unveiled until after the game came out and no one had a clue it was going to happen until then.
I also think it would prove to be highly profitable. Especially considering many mechanics introduced post Gen 5 are highly conducive to building competitive teams with relative ease of breeding, EV training, and just training in general compared to older gens. I can't imagine the Battle Frontier being any less popular than it ever was.

However, this is just a hypothesis. I'm open to the possibility that this ends up being a giant development time sink that nets very little revenue compared to the cost, time and resources invested. In which case GF has every right to axe it and we have not much right to complain. But GF axing the Battle Frontier on the basis of rather vague, ambiguous surveys is doing its community quite a disservice in my opinion.

The real big-brain move is for them to sell the full Battle Frontier as DLC. It's a low-effort way to give hours of new content to the hardcore fans who stick around after the initial launch and make some money. Plus, the sales numbers will be a good way to gauge interest in the full Frontier, since anybody who is willing to pay extra just for the full thing is probably pretty dedicated to it.
Been saying this for a minute. The thing is that I'm sure that such a whiny fanbase is likely to actually boycott it instead of putting their money where their mouth is.

Either way, that would be a solid way to have the Frontier back for not just this game, but also for future ones. A DLC pack with the Frontier at its center would be a money printer for good reason.
Excellent content and it'd function as before with it being a huge feature of the old 3rd versions/remakes.

I refuse to use anything that isn't fully evolved unless it has a clear mechanical advantage over its evolution(The large majority of such Pokemon used to be fully evolved at some point themselves). As such when it comes to picking new Pokemon based on design(contradictory mixing both mechical aspect and design aspects, I know), I don't have a final say until I see its final evolution. As such I prefer to be spoiled on all of the new Pokemon and forms before playing a new Generation.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I refuse to use anything that isn't fully evolved unless it has a clear mechanical advantage over its evolution(The large majority of such Pokemon used to be fully evolved at some point themselves). As such when it comes to picking new Pokemon based on design(contradictory mixing both mechical aspect and design aspects, I know), I don't have a final say until I see its final evolution. As such I prefer to be spoiled on all of the new Pokemon and forms before playing a new Generation.
What about non-special (non-special means not Legendary, Mythical or Ultra Beast) Pokémon that have no evolution or that have no evolutions, including those that didn’t have any at the time of introductionary generation? What BST a single-stage can have is all over the place.

Only asking a question, though even if Eviolite ends up getting nerfed somehow (likely due to annoyance caused by Chansey), there’s no surprise that some not-fully-evolved Pokémon have a niche over the other. Scyther with Dual Wingbeat makes it a true beast in where it is at, I don’t recall the current Tier it resides right now.

What about non-special (non-special means not Legendary, Mythical or Ultra Beast) Pokémon that have no evolution or that have no evolutions, including those that didn’t have any at the time of introductionary generation? What BST a single-stage can have is all over the place.

Only asking a question, though even if Eviolite ends up getting nerfed somehow (likely due to annoyance caused by Chansey), there’s no surprise that some not-fully-evolved Pokémon have a niche over the other. Scyther with Dual Wingbeat makes it a true beast in where it is at, I don’t recall the current Tier it resides right now.
Scyther currently is a B+ in PU, which is fine but I don't know if I'd call it a beast

(assuming you mean in-game)
What about situations where a mon can't evolve until postgame? Or where the advantage isn't clear*?

*Eviolite Doublade is basically worse than Aegislash, but it's a heck of a lot less stressful to use and more forgiving when the AI does something silly.

Scyther currently is a B+ in PU, which is fine but I don't know if I'd call it a beast
Wow, I expected it to be at least in RU.

Oh, how I wish Stealth Rock was nerfed...

Same. I play these games like Fire Emblem. I gotta know the stats first.

Otherwise, you run the serious risk of trying to run with things like SM Crabrawler, Caterpie, and GSC Unown.

Wow, I expected it to be at least in RU.

Oh, how I wish Stealth Rock was nerfed...

Same. I play these games like Fire Emblem. I gotta know the stats first.

Otherwise, you run the serious risk of trying to run with things like SM Crabrawler, Caterpie, and GSC Unown.
Thing is this is with sets using HDB so regardless it's kinda bad even when it gets to negate Stealth Rocks. It's weird because those stats, ability and movepool don't scream "PU shitmon." I'd expect it to be a top tier NU Pokemon, at the very least.

I also have to know what a Pokemon evolves into before I use it. Not because I care that much about stats (as long as it's not miserable to use in a casual playthrough I don't mind), but because I don't want my cool Crabrawler to evolve into fucking Crabominal...wasted potential

Thing is this is with sets using HDB so regardless it's kinda bad even when it gets to negate Stealth Rocks.
This also means no Choice Band. Massive power difference.

Or anything besides not immediately dying to sneaky pebbles.

Ah yes, because as we know online gaming communities are famous for effective boycotts. Just look at how Reddit did their thing and tanked SWSH's sales!
I mean, the backlash got so noisy that TPC and GF did change course after that. I'm more inclined to call it a win-win tbh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So guess you're not a big fan of Little Cup? /joking, I get what you're trying to say, I too liking to know what I'm going to get before I begin raising a Pokemon, though rarely do I object to a final form I refuse to raise the Pokemon. :blobnom:

Regardless I wouldn't complain at all if the stupid pebbles disintegrated from existence
All I ask is it being capped at 1/4th single weakness. 1/2 double weakness is too much overkill.

It should be noted that Volcarona was still a good OU Pokemon before Heavy Duty Boots were introduced so Rocks aren't the only thing keeping Scyther back I'm sure, but I could be wrong (I generally am)

Regardless I wouldn't complain at all if the stupid pebbles disintegrated from existence
Well, between not-stellar defenses and definitely not stellar typing, I'm sure it's more than just that.

All I ask is it being capped at 1/4th single weakness. 1/2 double weakness is too much overkill.
Just half the damage of the whole thing. Keeps the gimmick and still breaks sashes easily.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Zacian sucks, but I absolutely adore its cry (and Zamazenta's too, but I actually quite like Zamazenta). Also the shiny is one of the best legendary shinies full stop IMO, one of the few really brilliant Galar shinies. It's a pity it likely won't be available in Pokemon Go (or the MSG) for ages because I would legitimately spend raid pass after raid pass trying to get hold of one.

going through the list of everything with a strategy listed in current SwSh OU, compared to their placement in gen 7:

Dragonite: UUBL (OU set listed)->OU
Mandibuzz: RU->OU
Kyurem: RUBL (OU set listed)->OU
Tornadus-T: OU->OU
Volcarona: OU->OU
Weavile: UUBL (OU set listed)->OU
Zapdos: OU->OU
Blacephalon: OU->UUBL (OU set listed)
Charizard (base): PUBL->PU (OU set listed) Note both Zard X and Zard Y were OU despite rocks weakness
Incineroar: NU->RU (OU set listed)
Marowak-Alola: RU (OU set listed)->RU (OU set listed)
Moltres: UU (OU set listed)->UU (OU set listed)
Pelipper: OU->UU (OU set listed)
Rotom-H: UU-> UU (OU set listed)
Salazzle: RU->NU (OU set listed)
Ninetales-Alola: UUBL (OU set listed)->RU (OU set listed)
Shedinja: Untiered->Untiered (OU set listed)
Shuckle: Untiered->Untiered (OU set listed)
Thundrus-T: UUBL(OU set listed)->UU (OU set listed)
Togekiss: UU->RU (OU set listed)
Torkoal: Untiered->Untiered (OU set listed)
Victini: OU->UUBL (OU set listed)
Volcanion: UU (Ou set listed)->RU (OU set listed)
Xatu: NU->NU (OU set listed)

Serious improvments seem pretty rare, if you ask me.
Personally, I'd reduce the base damage on rocks but let it stack like spikes. Reduces the value in using it as a one-off but still lets full hazard teams do something about flying types. After that, HDB can be safely removed. I want to be spamming spikes on all my free turns, not Knock off.

I mean, the backlash got so noisy that TPC and GF did change course after that. I'm more inclined to call it a win-win tbh.
Let's be honest, we already know the Dexit thing was just a temporary excuse with extremely poorly executed PR, and "pulling back from it" was not a "reddit achievement".
The DLCs were in production way before SwSh even launched, so was Home and its compatibility.

The only thing Reddit got was terrorizing a bunch of poor innocent employees who got death threats sent at them by angry adults who went mental over a children game.

Let's be honest, we already know the Dexit thing was just a temporary excuse with extremely poorly executed PR, and "pulling back from it"
That's not what I said.

I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to all mons returning.
Dexit is here to stay, especially now that Legends is legit changing everything we know about the franchise (and is adding all kinds of new animations.)

What did happen, and that wasn't just Reddit, it was everywhere, was a thorough roasting of SwSh.

It still sold like hot cakes, as expected of Pokémon, but there was a clear direction from XY to SwSh and they changed it after SwSh.

BDSP made sure to emphasize that the classic map design was preserved to the point people were worried about the remakes being too faithful.

Legends outright breaks free from the classic formula.

You may try to spin it however you like, but something changed, and if I had to point something out, I'd clearly pick the years of growing criticism during the 3D era which reached a boiling point with SwSh.

You may try to spin it however you like, but something changed, and if I had to point something out, I'd clearly pick the years of growing criticism during the 3D era which reached a boiling point with SwSh.
I hardly doubt any design change has been caused by Reddit.
There wasn't any of note really, and I still think the reason that brought them to try something "new" with Legends has more to do with the success of Let's Go which shown that alternative game modes for the series have potential for big money.

We already know GameFreaks base their design almost solely from their local Japanese feedback (same as a large chunk of JP IPs sadly, not just a Pokemon problem). If anything would have changed off people's feedback, it was off the trashtalking they got locally, definitely not by the angry mob of 40 year old people on Reddit which they probably don't even aknowledge the existance of.

Heck if it wasnt for Covid stopping "in person" events i'm not even sure we'd ever have had livestream of VGC qualifiers and events...

We already know GameFreaks base their design almost solely from their local Japanese feedback (same as a large chunk of JP IPs sadly, not just a Pokemon problem). If anything would have changed off people's feedback, it was off the trashtalking they got locally, definitely not by the angry mob of 40 year old people on Reddit which they probably don't even aknowledge the existance of.
You keep trying to put everything on Reddit, but Japan was mad with the whole Dexit deal too. As I said, it wasn't just Reddit, Smogon, or Youtube. Pretty much everywhere you looked, the discussion about this game had some people mad, even if they were the minority.

But I digress, I have an unpopular opinion today.

I'm not hype for Legends.

Plain and simple. The story looks interesting and all that, but honestly?

About the whole "Battle 'em" part... I've yet to see a single trainer. Not even Hisuian Cynthia. I didn't even bat an eye at the new Snap (Is it even out?) because I couldn't care less about a game where I'm not battling. I dunno who said this, but I agree. Arceus reminds me of Monster Hunter.

All I hear about MonHun is that the gameplay loop is: Hunt monsters to get drops so you get better weapons to hunt stronger monsters... Why hunt stronger monsters?

So you can get better drops to fight even stronger monsters.

That's another game I'm not even giving a shot. This is RPG grinding in a game-sized package.

I just haven't seen anything that would interest me on Legends long-term. Oh well, good thing the remakes look good.

I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes to all mons returning.
Oh, I think they'll all be back someday.

Piecemeal, of course. Bundled as single evolutionary lines costing 5 USD.

In lootboxes though, so you have to gamble on which lines you'll get access to.

Dupes will just net you come in-game cash.

Unfortunately, no sparking, was too difficult to program. Filled up the code for this mechanic with too many models of Lillie.

Though there is an upside of course! GF will be giving Pikachu away to anyone who preorders the special edition version of the game. Still have to gamble to get the other 900+ Pokemon.

;-;

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It still sold like hot cakes, as expected of Pokémon, but there was a clear direction from XY to SwSh and they changed it after SwSh.

BDSP made sure to emphasize that the classic map design was preserved to the point people were worried about the remakes being too faithful.

Legends outright breaks free from the classic formula.
The fundamental problem with this theory is that it suggests Legends was at some level conceived as a reaction to SWSH, which I have my doubts on. For a game of its scope a 3 year cycle is the bare minimum, and assuming that's the case it would've begun early 2019. Now, that does leave them enough time to consider feedback from SWSH, but by the point that could've conceivably happened the game was probably at least in a foundational stage with the gist of its gameplay and worldbuilding laid out. In order for your interpretation to work Legends would need to have been fast-tracked into a greenlighting in either extremely late 2019 or early 2020, and that would be a very worrisome sign considering a lot of people have doubts the current 3 year cycle is even good enough for the more "standard" Pokemon games

But I digress, I have an unpopular opinion today.

I'm not hype for Legends.

Plain and simple. The story looks interesting and all that, but honestly?

About the whole "Battle 'em" part... I've yet to see a single trainer. Not even Hisuian Cynthia. I didn't even bat an eye at the new Snap (Is it even out?) because I couldn't care less about a game where I'm not battling. I dunno who said this, but I agree. Arceus reminds me of Monster Hunter.

All I hear about MonHun is that the gameplay loop is: Hunt monsters to get drops so you get better weapons to hunt stronger monsters... Why hunt stronger monsters?

So you can get better drops to fight even stronger monsters.

That's another game I'm not even giving a shot. This is RPG grinding in a game-sized package.

I just haven't seen anything that would interest me on Legends long-term. Oh well, good thing the remakes look good.
I kind of agree. The concept of Pokémon without battles feels like an empty experience to me. Incidentally this is a similar criticism some have levied against BotW. For all that's been made of the open world explorative aspect, BotW does seem to lack the well designed bosses and enemies of its predecessors.

Now some say BotW was like a testing ground for BotW 2, the idea being to use the same engine and flesh out the game more after having proof of concept. Which sounds reasonable actually. Perhaps Legends has been developed with a similar philosophy. After all it's a big shift for Pokémon to move in this direction after so many years of the same tried and true formula. It seems quite reasonable for them to first test the waters with this concept before jumping in head first.

The fundamental problem with this theory is that it suggests Legends was at some level conceived as a reaction to SWSH, which I have my doubts on. For a game of its scope a 3 year cycle is the bare minimum, and assuming that's the case it would've begun early 2019. Now, that does leave them enough time to consider feedback from SWSH, but by the point that could've conceivably happened the game was probably at least in a foundational stage with the gist of its gameplay and worldbuilding laid out. In order for your interpretation to work Legends would need to have been fast-tracked into a greenlighting in either extremely late 2019 or early 2020, and that would be a very worrisome sign considering a lot of people have doubts the current 3 year cycle is even good enough for the more "standard" Pokemon games
if I had to point something out, I'd clearly pick the years of growing criticism during the 3D era which reached a boiling point with SwSh.
My theory is that SwSh wasn't the only cause, it was a catalyst.

Take for example the Wild Area. It was rough, but it shows a bit of a project, the idea of breaking free from the stiff overworld camera work, overworld mons (which started with LGPE), larger areas to explore (as barren as they were).

Aaaand, as I was about to mention a certain example... Wukong mentioned it.

I kind of agree. The concept of Pokémon without battles feels like an empty experience to me. Incidentally this is a similar criticism some have levied against BotW. For all that's been made of the open world explorative aspect, BotW does seem to lack the well designed bosses and enemies of its predecessors.

Now some say BotW was like a testing ground for BotW 2, the idea being to use the same engine and flesh out the game more after having proof of concept. Which sounds reasonable actually. Perhaps Legends has been developed with a similar philosophy. After all it's a big shift for Pokémon to move in this direction after so many years of the same tried and true formula. It seems quite reasonable for them to first test the waters with this concept before jumping in head first.
I'm sure some of you heard about a game called Skyward Sword.

The Zelda franchise, much like Pokémon, went through a bit of a fatigue period, though I'd argue it has never seen such glaring drops in quality as the 3D era.

By Twilight Princess, people were kind of noting things were getting a bit too repetitive. Sure, it *was* a great game, but it had some flaws and they definitely overcorrected on the OoT pandering.

After that, the seeds of change were planted with Skyward Sword. Hoo boy, did people bash this game.

But lo and behold. Greatness blessed our screens with GOAT of the Wild. Now, if you look back, a couple of things were in fact introduced in Skyward, namely the focus on field exploration and upgrade system. Due to the rampant bashing of the game's issues, there were quite a few changes that didn't follow through, such as the emphasis on motion controls.

Now, what does that have to do with Pokémon?

I don't think I need to remind you about the KANTOOOOO pandering with XY after BW1 drew fire with the extreme focus on the new gen mons, but there has been growing criticism and some changes. Gen 7 tried to spice things up with Totems instead of Gyms and an evil team that wasn't actually evil. This is a clear attempt of breaking the staleness the fans were complaining about.

Gen 8, much like Skyward Sword, planted the seeds of greater change with the Wild Area. DLC expanded on it by pretty much making every outdoor area work with free camera control like the Wild Area. If you take a look at it closely, many things in SwSh were experimental, such as the TR's, the lack of any kind of natural barrier for exploration (besides the surfing bike), relying on the Pokémon themselves to act as a deterrent, raids, Dexit...

And much like Skyward Sword, it got bashed really hard. It wasn't seen as a stepping stone, especially in SwSh's case. There were high expectations for GF with their first mainline game on a home console.

Basically, I expect Legends to be good but have similar growing pains to BotW.

As great as BotW was, there was a pretty big and noticeable flaw with it, namely the dungeons. I expect Legends to not quite stick the landing, especially compared to a masterpiece like BotW.

In other words, I believe that Game Freak was already planning out the idea of an open-world game, with SwSh as somewhat of a bridge because of the rushed and troubled development cycle. They were actively waiting for feedback on SwSh's more experimental features, and had to course correct into having BDSP as a safety net instead of say, making the Sinnoh remakes the open-world entry. When SwSh's bashing went straight up out of hand, they outsourced the Sinnoh Remakes to ILCA and fully focused on Legends, turning it into what it is right now.

Naturally, this is just a theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)