Unpopular opinions

Really? While Squirtle has always been my favorite (Blastoise is so cool), I found picking Bulbasaur to be better. Mostly since it has a great advantage in the beginning (Super Effective first two gyms, resists third), it has a great support movepool, and by the time it starts having problems, there are so many useful Pokémon to help it. Also, in Generation I, it has Razor Leaf, which had an effective base power of 165* thanks to it always landing critical hits (thank you, Gen I crit mechanics!).
Though, now that I'm thinking about it, I am looking at it from a Generation III perspective as I've played LeafGreen more than I have Generation I.
I need to reset my copy of Yellow.

*55 times 2 (critical) times 1.5 (STAB) = 165
I agree, in my opinion, Bulbasaur has always been the best out of the 3 for me to pick personally because of all the type advantages on the gyms at the start. With Venusaur's mega evo out for a while now, Bulbasaur's evolution line got better, but then, so did the others to be fair. I always find the water type to be the most balanced early and late game though. With the type disadvantages, you don't have to look at that one starter purely. After Brock/Misty there are quite a few options as to what pokemon you can catch e.g. for Lt.Surge you could just catch a Diglett in Diglett's cave.
I like the Premier Ball. It may not be the best ball in the games, but it is free with the purchase of 10+ Poké Balls. To complain is looking a gift Horsea in the mouth.
I also like Repeat balls because they're good on pokemon you haven't caught before (like Regigigas in Platinum)

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I agree, in my opinion, Bulbasaur has always been the best out of the 3 for me to pick personally because of all the type advantages on the gyms at the start. With Venusaur's mega evo out for a while now, Bulbasaur's evolution line got better, but then, so did the others to be fair. I always find the water type to be the most balanced early and late game though. With the type disadvantages, you don't have to look at that one starter purely. After Brock/Misty there are quite a few options as to what pokemon you can catch e.g. for Lt.Surge you could just catch a Diglett in Diglett's cave.

I also like Repeat balls because they're good on pokemon you haven't caught before (like Regigigas in Platinum)
You got your info mixed up on how the Repeat Ball works. Namely, they work on ones you have caught before, not haven't.

When it comes to in-game runs, the glass cannon type mons actually are pretty low on my list of preferences. Unless they have an absurdly wide movepool to let me be creative, the whole "outspeed and one shot every mon" gets boring rather fast for my liking and doesn't satisfy my desire to experiment on runs even if it cuts into my Pokédollar stash.

You got your info mixed up on how the Repeat Ball works. Namely, they work on ones you have caught before, not haven't.

When it comes to in-game runs, the glass cannon type mons actually are pretty low on my list of preferences. Unless they have an absurdly wide movepool to let me be creative, the whole "outspeed and one shot every mon" gets boring rather fast for my liking and doesn't satisfy my desire to experiment on runs even if it cuts into my Pokédollar stash.
I know. On pokemon Platinum, I tried catching a Regigigas in the temple in Snowpoint City for my cousin and the Repeat balls did more wobbles than the ultra balls! I have tried using repeat balls on other pokemon like that and it was similar, the Repeat balls did better than Ultra balls

Saying that bulbasaur sucks against Brock is wrong ... Leech seed is very good against Bide Pokemon as you can growl them + gets some HP ... and Vine Whip at level 13 is not so hard to get IIRC
Agreed. Always go against Brock minimum level 12 and usually level 13. Charmander is just really easy to over-train because of Viridian Forest

Agreed. Always go against Brock minimum level 12 and usually level 13. Charmander is just really easy to over-train because of Viridian Forest
Wait, people fight Brock at levels below 13? Really? I don't think I've ever done that ever. Even if I count other first Gyms, I usually have my starter at that level. I even had a Monferno when I first played through Platinum and that was the first game I actually played!

To be fair, some people who start building a team early, or nuzlockers, may have some underleveled things. I know that in my current Leafgreen Nuzlocke, by the time I reached Brock, my average team level was about 11-12. And that was after a couple of hours grinding.

Wait, people fight Brock at levels below 13? Really? I don't think I've ever done that ever. Even if I count other first Gyms, I usually have my starter at that level. I even had a Monferno when I first played through Platinum and that was the first game I actually played!
There's not that many actual trainers before Brock compared to pretty much any later title. There's the two gym trainers, 4-ish bug catchers, and the second fight with Gary if you didn't skip him (like I did my first time!). So it's either face him low or grind Metapod and Kakuna because none of the other route 'mons give enough experience.

New topic:

Anybody else not really a fan of these guys' designs? Hitmonchan is the weirdest to me. He's supposed to be a boxer, but with the purple skirt and the gloves I see more of a-

As for Hitmonlee, I like the 'mon overall, but find the design a little bland. It's pretty simple in a bad way to me, unlike "simple in a good way" designs like Gengar for example

Even Hitmontop just seems to have more character to him.
upload_2016-3-21_20-24-59.jpeg

Just personal opinion though.

That is only if you naively compare types.
Brock's Pokemon don't have any Rock or Ground moves and they have very poor Special, so Charmander actually has the advantage here. He actually does better than Bulbasaur here.
Against Misty Charmander does have a straight up disadvantage. No getting around it.
Against Lt Surge Charmander can learn the Dig TM and get the advantage.
Against Erika Charmander already has the advantage.
Against Koga Charmander again gets the advantage with Dig or Earthquake if you taught Dig to something else.
Against Sabrina Charmander is neutral, but still does better than the other two starters thanks to Slash.
Against Blaine Charmander has the advantage thanks to his Fire resistance and Dig/Earthquake.
Against Giovanni, Charizard is immune to Ground attacks and particularly Fissure and I don't think any of his Pokemon have Rock attacks. Furthermore, Charizard again has Dig/Earthquake.
Against Lorelei, I think Dewgong doesn't have any Water attacks, so you could use X Accuracy and Fissure to easily win this fight.
Against Bruno, you have type advantage against his Fighting Pokemon and the Onix are so terrible that no team should have trouble with them.
Against Agatha Charizard beats four of her five Pokemon with Dig/Earthquake.
Against Lance, Charizard again has the disadvantage, particularly against Aerodactyl.

If you're playing smart, Charmander actually has the advantage against all Gym Leaders and E4 members except Misty and Lance. Compare this to Bulbasaur, who sucks against Brock (thanks to him getting his first Special move at a relatively late level), Koga, Sabrina, Blaine and Agatha. Even Erika is a bad fight if she decides to spam Wrap. The only fights Venusaur has a clear advantage against are Misty, Giovanni and Lance (thanks to AI quirks causing him to spam Agility against Poison types).
As someone who uses Bulbasaur in his first run, I think you are vastly underestimating it.
Brock: Leech Seed + Growl cheeses the Bide that he spams. You also OHKO him with Vine Whip.
Misty: You 2HKO with Vine Whip
Lt. Surge: You wall him.
Erika: You should have the Body Slam / Double Edge TM by now. You wall all her Pokemon. Victrebeel might be annoying with Warp but that's about it.
Koga: Razor Leaf = 100% criticals. His mons also has low Special. You also can't be Poisoned.
Sabrina: Hahahaha. Use something else.
Blaine: You just Surfed to Cinnabar.
Giovanni: Razor Leaf spam.
Lorelei: Razor Leaf spam. Only Jynx (and maybe Lapras) gives you trouble.
Bruno: Razor Leaf spam.
Agatha: Hahaha. Use something else.
Lance: Body Slam / Razor Leaf spam. Be prepared to eat a Hyper Beam from Aerodactyl though.
Blue: Only things you have trouble with are Alakazam and Charizard. Pidgeot is annoying but is a joke for any other thing. Everything else loses to Venusaur.

Also, Bulbasaur only wants a Normal-move TM to be effective. Easy when you can have Body Slam, Tri Attack and Double Edge to choose from. Also, do remember that Venusaur has the highest Special stat and learns its best STAB move much earlier than the other starters (Squirtle's Surf needs to wait until Safari Zone, Char needs to go Lv46 for Flamethrower)

Last edited:

Anybody else not really a fan of these guys' designs? Hitmonchan is the weirdest to me. He's supposed to be a boxer, but with the purple skirt and the gloves I see more of a--snip-
I always thought those were ruffled trunks that boxers wear. In the anime, they seem more like trunks.

I actually really love Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee, but do not care for Hitmontop. It's weird, I liked Hitmontop as a kid but the design hasn't aged well for me.

There's not that many actual trainers before Brock compared to pretty much any later title. There's the two gym trainers, 4-ish bug catchers, and the second fight with Gary if you didn't skip him (like I did my first time!). So it's either face him low or grind Metapod and Kakuna because none of the other route 'mons give enough experience.

New topic:

Anybody else not really a fan of these guys' designs? Hitmonchan is the weirdest to me. He's supposed to be a boxer, but with the purple skirt and the gloves I see more of a-

As for Hitmonlee, I like the 'mon overall, but find the design a little bland. It's pretty simple in a bad way to me, unlike "simple in a good way" designs like Gengar for example

Even Hitmontop just seems to have more character to him.
View attachment 59085
Just personal opinion though.
I actually like all three Hitmons but Hitmontop is my fav of them and Hitmonchan is my least favorite. Still like all three and Hitmonchan is wearing boxing shorts.

I like that Gen 3 is incompatible with Gen 1/2. This is because, at least partly it resulted in my two favourite games in the franchise - Firered/Leafgreen and Colosseum. They were needed to fill in the gaps in Hoenn's Pokédex. Hence the guys in charge made a fantastic update of Gen 1 which made it faster, more convenient and done little to the content other than adding new content and updating Engine and Mechanics; while for the Johto 'mon we got Colosseum which I have gone on and on before about how amazing and unique it is.

I actually like all three Hitmons but Hitmontop is my fav of them and Hitmonchan is my least favorite. Still like all three and Hitmonchan is wearing boxing shorts.
I think this opinion is the closest to my view of the hitmons. I do think they should add more and I like how they are representing balance. I think if Hitmontop was not introduced I don't think I would have approved of Tyrogue. I actually like Hitmontop's gen 6 animation. I think it is amusing to see him dance and NOT spin on his head.

Agreed. I love his little jig:

EDIT:
Am I the only person who likes Delphox's design?
Nope, I was actually going to go for Fennekin at the start when I heard about the new Kalos starters. I did change my mind to Chespin since I hold the belief that all grass starters have the potential to be good.

Well, to be fair, Chespin is awesome, and--seguing into another topic--I don't even think you can say there is a "best Kalos starter". I don't know when the last time was that you could not point at one starter as clearly worse. And yes, Chikorita and Snivy in particular tend to get the brunt of complaints, from my experience anyway.

Am I the only person who likes Delphox's design?
It works pretty well in the card art for the TCG. But that's because they do dynamic poses where Delphox is doing something, usually something magiky fireish. Which is fair, but neither the official art nor the ingame model do any of that, and I think it looks pretty poor in both. It overcommitted to the theme IMO.

I have lived nearly 23 years without seeing that. And those years were shallow without that.
Well, to be fair, Chespin is awesome, and--seguing into another topic--I don't even think you can say there is a "best Kalos starter". I don't know when the last time was that you could not point at one starter as clearly worse. And yes, Chikorita and Snivy in particular tend to get the brunt of complaints, from my experience anyway.
I fully agree on that. To me, Kalos has the best set of starters since Kanto: all three have designs I like and all three are good choices for playthrough the game.

Delphox is another one of those that looks better animated than in it's standby pose. It's animations make it look like a fox wizard, but just standing there it looks like a red sequoia with fur, a tree-fox. Luckily the official art is way more flattering. But Braxian is still cooler looking, which is probably why it got the spot in the new fighting game.

New unpopular opinion: Are pokemon games actually way harder than we think?

If you're on smogon, you probably are pretty good at pokemon. I certainly haven't been challenged in-game since gold and silver (unless it's a nuzlocke). But my sister who was never really into the games just picked up X and I have been watching some blind let's plays by people also new to pokemon and I've been noticing some things. Mainly that if you don't know what you're doing, POKEMON IS A REALLY HARD GAME.

So for this list I'm assuming the player relies entirely on information presented in-game, no looking stuff up on the internet just cold turkey.

1. Type match ups. While some visual clues are easy (grass, water, and fire), some aren't at all. If you took a look at Mawile, could you actually tell what type it is? So in-game you now have to get by on trial and error to figure it out, so hope you guess well. The most common thing I saw was regarding what was and wasn't weak to ground. I saw a trainer try using earthquake on Weezing to be stymied on why it didn't work. It took this knowledge and misapplied it to Venomoth and Magenton, thinking that because they were floating they couldn't be hit. They also tried hitting Dragonite with it, since it's pose in HG/SS looked like it was standing and couldn't figure out it was part flying (they assumed levitate when it didn't work).

The problem is that beyond the most basics of basics, the game assumes you learn from the pokemon you catch and raise, which means a lot of catching a raising. And that's not including "post-game pokemon" that the player never gets access to and tend to just pop-up as the final boss. Pretty bad if the trainer doesn't have a mono-type team.

2. Raising pokemon. Pros can pick about three of the best and roll with it (or just one). Newbies tend to get "alt overload" in that there are soooo many options that they keep switching 'mons in and out as they test each one. This would mean that trainer exp (the easiest way to level up) gets spread out thin. I think this is the reason behind the revised exp share in gen 6, so that testing pokemon isn't so punishing in the long run.

3. Advanced concepts are just flat out never mentioned. Effort Values barely got a whisper until Gen 6, and Individual Values are still left a mystery. While these aren't as important in-game, they still play a very important part in-game (I had a charmander with a 1 IV in Sp.Atk, and boy did it show. Didn't find out until post-game). Nature effects also weren't made explicit until HG/SS, and they have a more clear and present effect even in-game.

But this isn't just stats, other advance concepts barely get a mention too. Like move combos (one guy thought his game glitched when he got KO'd by earthquake while using dig, another to a mold breaker earthquake on levitate. Earthquake sure pops up a lot for a simple move), correctly using substitute, another guy thought that his lowered stats would stay for the entire battle (so he got his pokemon KO'd rather than switch).

I guess this all comes from living in the information ages versus a video game focusing on exploration, and how a game designer can find balance. If you know what you're doing (like, having a full pokedex like Serebii's), these games are simple. If not, these games are pretty darn hard. But you are expected to design a game to stand on it's own feet, so they turn to things like the EXP share.

Last edited:
Delphox is another one of those that looks better animated than in it's standby pose. It's animations make it look like a fox wizard, but just standing there it looks like a red sequoia with fur, a tree-fox. Luckily the official art is way more flattering. But Braxian is still cooler looking, which is probably why it got the spot in the new fighting game.

New unpopular opinion: Are pokemon games actually way harder than we think?

If you're on smogon, you probably are pretty good at pokemon. I certainly haven't been challenged in-game since gold and silver (unless it's a nuzlocke). But my sister who was never really into the games just picked up X and I have been watching some blind let's plays by people also new to pokemon and I've been noticing some things. Mainly that if you don't know what you're doing, POKEMON IS A REALLY HARD GAME.

So for this list I'm assuming the player relies entirely on information presented in-game, no looking stuff up on the internet just cold turkey.

1. Type match ups. While some visual clues are easy (grass, water, and fire), some aren't at all. If you took a look at Mawile, could you actually tell what type it is? So in-game you now have to get by on trial and error to figure it out, so hope you guess well. The most common thing I saw was regarding what was and wasn't weak to earth. I saw a trainer try using earthquake on Weezing to be stymied on why it didn't work. It took this knowledge and misapplied it to Venomoth and Magenton, thinking that because they were floating they couldn't be hit. They also tried hitting Dragonite with it, since it's pose in HG/SS looked like it was standing and couldn't figure out it was part flying (they assumed levitate when it didn't work).

The problem is that beyond the most basics of basics, the game assumes you learn from the pokemon you catch and raise, which means a lot of catching a raising. And that's not including "post-game pokemon" that the player never gets access to and tend to just pop-up as the final boss. Pretty bad if the trainer doesn't have a mono-type team.

2. Raising pokemon. Pros can pick about three of the best and roll with it (or just one). Newbies tend to get "alt overload" in that there are soooo many options that they keep switching 'mons in and out as they test each one. This would mean that trainer exp (the easiest way to level up) gets spread out thin. I think this is the reason behind the revised exp share in gen 6, so that testing pokemon isn't so punishing in the long run.

3. Advanced concepts are just flat out never mentioned. Effort Values barely got a whisper until Gen 6, and Individual Values are still left a mystery. While these aren't as important in-game, they still play a very important part in-game (I had a charmander with a 1 IV in Sp.Atk, and boy did it show. Didn't find out until post-game). Nature effects also weren't made explicit until HG/SS, and they have a more clear and present effect even in-game.

But this isn't just stats, other advance concepts barely get a mention too. Like move combos (one guy thought his game glitched when he got KO'd by earthquake while using dig, another to a mold breaker earthquake on levitate. Earthquake sure pops up a lot for a simple move), correctly using substitute, another guy thought that his lowered stats would stay for the entire battle (so he got his pokemon KO'd rather than switch).

I guess this all comes from living in the information ages versus a video game focusing on exploration, and how a game designer can find balance. If you know what you're doing (like, having a full pokedex like Serebii's), these games are simple. If not, these games are pretty darn hard. But you are expected to design game to stand on it's own feet, so they turn to things like the EXP share.
Well honestly, IVs, EVs and Natures never matter in-game and it's only when you get really into the game it starts to be an issue a pain of importance.

I started playing in RBY and the only thing that cause me great difficulties in that game were;
1) How OP the move Psychic was (and I never figured to use it myself cause I gotta hold on to the Psychic TM for 100% completion)

2) The teleporter maze in Silph Scope. Took me a few days (almost a week) to figure out the correct path and I felt like a genius for solving it. Most of my friends in school were stuck there too.

The other games don't really give me much difficulties until DPP (Bronzong was such a pain to beat and Garchomp was way too OP).

Well honestly, IVs, EVs and Natures never matter in-game and it's only when you get really into the game it starts to be an issue a pain of importance.
I don't disagree with this, but I think they do play a more subtle role than we think, even in-game.

My adventures with a 1 IV Sp.Atk Charizard showed me a lot. He kept missing KO's that he should have got, and needed to always Mega-evolve to do anything. And this is in-game! I always thought there was something wrong with him, but couldn't confirm it until post-game.

Plus effort values do matter... a very tiny bit. Sure for most end-game mons it looks like a flat stat boost across each one evenly, and they don't matter at all in the early-game, but they do make it harder to pick up a 'mon at Victory Road or even Gym 7 and add it into your team because they won't have any EV's at all.

So you are correct in that to any of us or anybody who has there pokemon team figured out by at least gym 5, the hidden stats are not a big issue. But to outliers like my 1 IV Charizard and people who do switch around there team a lot, they start to subtly have an effect.

I don't disagree with this, but I think they do play a more subtle role than we think, even in-game.

My adventures with a 1 IV Sp.Atk Charizard showed me a lot. He kept missing KO's that he should have got, and needed to always Mega-evolve to do anything. And this is in-game! I always thought there was something wrong with him, but couldn't confirm it until post-game.

Plus effort values do matter... a very tiny bit. Sure for most end-game mons it looks like a flat stat boost across each one evenly, and they don't matter at all in the early-game, but they do make it harder to pick up a 'mon at Victory Road or even Gym 7 and add it into your team because they won't have any EV's at all.

So you are correct in that to any of us or anybody who has there pokemon team figured out by at least gym 5, the hidden stats are not a big issue. But to outliers like my 1 IV Charizard and people who do switch around there team a lot, they start to subtly have an effect.
This is accurate.
Though sometimes, you can be surprised what a low IV Pokémon can do. I once saw my 3 Def IV Tyranitar survive a Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch (and proceed to destroy it with Fire Blast).

I don't know how popular this is, but the only thing I ever want to see done with the Exp. Share is have it turned off, and maybe earned in a hard-fought battle. I don't want it to be available in the post-game, and I don't want it to ever work like in before Gen 6. And EXP Point Power had better not go anywhere.

This is because I have 2 boxfulls of recruits and shinies (yay Wonder Trade! Speaking of which, I want that to stay as well) to train, but I'm way too busy soft-resetting for all those legendaries to bond (yes, I use Amie while training them, and I try to avoid evolving them until they reach max affection) and train with them. Besides, training them all in a new region would be a more interesting way to train them.

You haters want a challenger? Try leveling up 12 or more Pokémon at the same time, and maybe even transfer any legendaries you haven't trained yet! That oughta slow down the leveling up overall, even with Max EXP Point Power!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)