Underdogs

I'm new to competitive battling and have mostly been playing OU. I started off with Ubers, but that was too repetitive. Then I switched to OU, and surprise, surprise, OU became too boring too quickly with its weather wars (But yeah, I ran a Drought Team). I've been playing UU for a few days and it seems harmless. I have shuffled my UU team in this short period and settled on one that seems to get me more wins than losses. So here goes. I have underlined aspects I am doubtful about. Rate my team and thank you in advance.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Power Herb
Trait: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sky Attack

Notes: My choice for a suicide lead. It's quicker than most of the non-scarfed tier and it has a STAB Stone Edge to take care of the tier's only Magic Bouncer, Xatu. So it almost always sets up the Stealth Rock. But standing apart from the other leads, Aerodactyl also possess great offensive prowess. The QuakeEdge hits every non-resistant Pokémon hard enough. To top if all off, Sk Attack + Power Herb KOes the only type that resists both of those attacks: Grass.

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature

- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Notes: Early Game Sweeper, and quite possibly one of the best in the tier. Omastar using Shell Smash with 1 HP will terrorize unprepared teams. Further, if get gets to 1 HP via a Physical Move, it gains a +1 Speed thanks to Weak Armor, furthering the chance of a sweep. The sparse Pokémon with priority moves are its bane when it is at 1 HP. But that can't be helped, I guess.

Hitmonlee @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature

- Mach Punch
- Hi Jump Kick
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

If Hitmonlee gets to use STAB Fighting Gem-boosted Mach Punch, picking off weakened foes (Which it can't use on Ghost-types, obviously), it outspeeds every non-scarfed Pokémon. And with the hazardous combination of STAB Hi Jump Kick and QuakeSlide, it's poised to knock out or at least put a dent in every Pokémon in the tier. What's more? Contradicting its frail construct, it can also withstand most non-STAB neutral Special Attacks (About that, how good is Close Combat in the place of Hi Jump Kick?). "Be wataa, my friend."

Chandelure (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 184 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 68 HP
Modest Nature

- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball

First of all, Ninetales, Houndoom and Chandelure have been my most favorite Pokémon (I love the Fire type, especially due to their great chances of coverage). In fact, I use a Ninetales in my OU Drought team, even though I know Sun teams are almost always trumped by Rain teams. I used a Houndoom in my earliest UU team, but this fiery chandelier clearly has a lot more to offer. Chandelure is immune to 3 types of attacks, two of them commonly used, and it gains a boost from one of them. To follow up, its gigantic 145 Base SpA and Modest Nature allows it to hit like a truck. Plus, it almost always forces a switch in, providing it ample chance to set up Substitute. It may not bring down defensive foes, but it certainly weakens them pretty bad.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature

- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Heracross is to UU what Salamence is to OU. Except, Heracross has a wider range of SE coverage and is 4x weak only to the type that is very rarely used. Jolly Heracross is outpaced only by other Scarf users, and if they fail to knock it out, Heracross will only continue to mount its sweep with Moxie. Granted, there is a need to clear up before it can enter the field. Then again, Heracross is all-in-all an end-game sweeper anyway.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd

- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Tri Attack

Enter the Duck. Porygon2 can switch in on any unboosted attack and still manage to knock out one or two Pokémon. Eviolite boosts its defenses to legendary levels, while the Quiet Nature and 0 IVs in Speed makes sure it utilizes Trick Room more often than not to hit back with amazing power. And with the right switch, it gets a free 1.5x SpA boost. This means it functions a Wall and a Wall Breaker. What ability goes better with Trick Room (Obviously not Analytic), Trace or Download?

Queries: Feel free to remove and add Pokémon. My previous UU team included Sharpedo and Houndoom. At one point, I even used a Baton Pass Ninjask. But these didn't quite pan out due to the prevalence of Stealth Rock and the Pokémon being too frail. My recent team also included a Durant. Now that Chandelure is in my team, will it be advisable to bring back the hard-hitting Durant, while also giving Chandelure a chance to switch into Fire type attacks? If yes, which one should I replace?

Last edited:
Hey Dinesh, welcome to UU. I pretty much thought the same thing you did when I picked a tier to play for 5th gen; weather wars in OU and the redundancy of Ubers eventually forced me to play UU, and I gotta tell ya it's been a real fun experience. This is also a good team for the first time, but I do have some things to recommend.

Replace Eelektross with Defensive Zapdos. Zapdos and Raikou are the two main electric types in UU and it's really hard to get away with using another Electric type that isn't just simply outclassed by them. In this case, Zapdos has more of a defensive and offensive presence, a similar typing, and a reliable recovery.

I'd replace HP Fighting with Thunderbolt on Porygon2 because BoltBeam. It's... It's BoltBeam.

That's it from me! Good luck.

Here's a nice lead replacement since you asked:

Mew
Item: normal gem
Nature: jolly
Ev: 252atk/4spd/252spd

Move pool:
~stealthrock
~explosion
~Taunt
~zen headbutt

On a second note I think mew got moved to OU :( but I'm not sure you should double check on Pokemon showdown

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'll try and make this team as solid as possible.

Firstly, I'd suggest replacing Aerodactyl with Azelf. Azelf is a better SR lead than Aerodactyl is, because it has good enough Speed but also has better utility overall with SR+Taunt. Psychic or Psyshock will usually provide coverage to handle Heracross and Mienshao, while Thunderbolt handles Xatu well enough for Azelf to thrive. Azelf outspeeds most of the leads anyways (only one it doesn't outpace is Accelgor), and it is overall the better choice as a SR lead.

I'd also replace Huntail with Omastar, because Huntail is outclassed in Shell Smashing by Omastar, as Omastar has slightly better Speed but also still can wreck stuff with Surf, Ice Beam, and HP Grass, and is just better than Huntail overall.

I'd replace Hitmonlee with Zapdos or Raikou, because an Electric-type will be a pretty good choice to handle bulky Water-types and Togekiss, who would be incredibly annoying to your team, and they have very good STAB to use in the tier, so they will surely be useful to your team.

I'd replace Scarf Chandelure with SubSplit Chandelure, because you already have Heracross as your Scarfer, so another one is pretty redundant imo. SubSplit Chandelure is pretty powerful but also has a chance against things like Snorlax and stuff.

Other than that, that's pretty much it, good luck, hope I helped.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Aerodactyl-->Azelf
Huntail-->Omastar
Hitmonlee-->Raikou/Zapdos
Scarf Chandelure-->SubSplit Chandelure

Hi Dinesh and great job with this team.I like it very much even though I mainly play OU.
For me the whole team looks great but I suggest that you should replace the following:
1.Give chandelure heat wave or flamethrower.They have much better accuracy and I have personal experience of missing with fire blast(scizor!).Besides it might get a flash fire boost and start sweeping when one Fire Blast misses and the entire sweep is over.Just give it Modest nature and it will be okay.
2.Shell Smash would double Huntail's attack and SPa but investment of EV's is only maximum in attack stat so I think you should replace Ice Beam with Ice Fang because it might do more damage than Ice Beam.
I don't think you should replace any team members because I think their all great.
Anyways Good Luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)