VGC Typical Mega Salamence Team

Introduction

Salamence has always been one of my favorites, and its Mega Evolution has gotten a lot of hype, so I figured I'd make a team built around it. I added Suicune for Tailwind support rather than Zapdos who shares an Ice-type weakness. I added Arcanine and Amoonguss to have the common FWG core, Terrakion because it gives my team more offensive presence, and Aegislash because of its wide coverage in conjunction with Salamence.

The Team

Salamence @ Salamenceite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Protect
Salamence is the main member of this team. Salamence is one of the most popular Mega Evolutions in VGC and counters the common M-Kangaskhan. Its EV spread is pretty straightforward- hit hard and hit fast. Dragon Dance powers Salamence's other moves when in a safe position. Double Edge will deal massive damage to almost anything, and Earthquake is another powerful spread move. Protect allows Salamence Mega Evolve safely.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 36 SpA / 12 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect
Arcanine can switch in and set up an Intimidate to further Salamence's bulk. Maximum HP investment with 148 Defense EVs and a Bold nature makes Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Return and Jolly Terrakion's Close Combat. 60 Speed EVs allow Arcanine to outrun Adamant Bisharp, and 36 Special Attack EVs allow Arcanine to OHKO 4 HP Bisharp with Flamethrower. Flamethrower is a powerful STAB move that deals with Steel-types for Salamence. Snarl lowers Special Attack and deals a little damage, which Salamence also appreciates.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Suicune is the team's Tailwind user. Leftovers in conjunction with Protect allows Suicune to recover HP steadily. The given EV spread allows to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T in Tailwind. Scald is an obvious choice being a STAB move with a possibility to Burn its target. Ice Beam is mostly for coverage and hits Amoonguss for decent damage.

Breloom @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerate
EVs: 220 HP / 164 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect
Amoonguss gives my team a better matchup against Trick Room teams. It’s useful ability Regenerate gives Amoonguss a method of recovering HP while switching out on opponents. Rage Powder is for redirection, which helps set up Tailwind. Spore can put targets to sleep while Salamence sweeps. Giga Drain along with Regenerate makes Amoonguss annoying to take out.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect
Terrakion gives my team more offensive pressure. Because of its frailty and numerous weaknesses, Focus Sash is useful to hold. A Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed a lot. Despite the stat drop, Close Combat is a powerful STAB move and deals decent damage to almost anything. Rock Slide is another STAB spread move that deals with Mega Charizard-Y, which my team has problems dealing with. Salamence appreciates having Quick Guard support.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
Aegislash has excellent synergy with Salamence because of the wide type coverage. Stance Change is a great ability because it allows Aegislash to be defensive or offensive. 156 Special Defense EVs allow Aegislash to survive a Choice Specs-boosted Dark Pulse from Modest Hydreigon. King's Shield is an obvious choice on Aegislash as it protects it from attacks. Salamence appreciates Wide Guard to help with supereffective spread moves like Hyper Voice and Icy Wind. Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon are two decent STAB moves that will deal decent damage on Aegislash.

Conclusion

M-Salamence may be common, but for good reason. It may be a little on the bulky side, but Salamence and Terrakion, along with Aegislash's Stance Change, balance it out. Overall, I think this team is well-balanced and has a good matchup against Trick Room teams.

Last edited:
If you're worried about intimidate use you could always switch it to flash fire on Arcanine, making it a good switch-in Pokemon for aegis threats and Zard-Y Come to think of it, Zard-Y might be a problem for your team. Maybe you could replace Scrafty with Terrakion? As your team does seem to miss a spot of raw damage output other than M-Sallie

I agree with having too much intimidate. Itll make you easy prey for defiants and stuff with contrary.
I also took notice you have 2 bold bulky pokemon And lack a strong way to take down water types running ice beam and scald. Maybe you could consider changing arcanine for an electric or faster fire type...or something with freeze dry but i cant remember a fast freeze dry user

If you're worried about intimidate use you could always switch it to flash fire on Arcanine, making it a good switch-in Pokemon for aegis threats and Zard-Y Come to think of it, Zard-Y might be a problem for your team. Maybe you could replace Scrafty with Terrakion? As your team does seem to miss a spot of raw damage output other than M-Sallie
I actually really like Terrakion here. I'll use your suggestion!

Flash Fire is pretty much unusable on that set because it is mainly used to lower Attack Stats with Intimidate/Will-o-Wisp, and Special Attack Stats with Snarl. Now onto the rate:
Salamence: fine but Earthquake needs to be played correctly to not hit the half of your team that's weak to it
Arcanine: your using the most optimal set for it so it's fine
Suicune: seems fine but I suggest using Protect with Leftovers. This gives you some time to recover more consistently instead of just once.
Amoonguss: seem fine but could appreciate a more optimized EV Spread. I suggest a set like this:

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
– Giga Drain
– Spore
– Rage Powder
– Protect

This makes the Defenses more rounded out than just the 252/252/4 spread.
Terrakion: fine
Aegislash: first of all, it's Flash Cannon.* using Substitute is fine but could appreciate Wide Guard with Weakness Policy or Life Orb more. This allows you to use Earthquake while you have Aegislash out without having to worry about having to waste a turn of protect on it. Also, it allows you to protect against Heat Wave, Earthquake, Icy Wind, etc.
Overall, he team should look something like this after all of these changes are apllied (not saying that you HAVE to go with all of them)

Salamence @ Salamenceite
Jolly Nature
- Double Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Protect

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 36 SpA / 12 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe / 0 Atk
– Giga Drain
– Spore
– Rage Powder
– Protect

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpA / 156 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe / 0 Atk
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon

Last edited:
Double intimidate is not a problem, but you do need a pokemon that hits milotic for super effective damage. Just looking at this, Milotic can sweep your team if it gets a boost off, except for Suicune, but Suicune can't do much to Milotic.

Double intimidate is not a problem, but you do need a pokemon that hits milotic for super effective damage. Just looking at this, Milotic can sweep your team if it gets a boost off, except for Suicune, but Suicune can't do much to Milotic.
I do have Giga Drain on Amoonguss, but as Amoonguss isn't very offensive it won't do much to Milotic. I could use Zapdos or Thundurus, but I'd have a huuuge Ice-type weakness. Any suggestions?

Apart from mence and Amoonguss, all of your pokemon resist ice. I think Breloom would be better on amoongusses spot, as it gives you a tailwind sweeper, which, apart from terrakion, you don't have. Salamence does not need tailwind, it is fast enough.
Calc:
252 Atk breloom bullet seed (3 hits) vs. 252 252+ Milotic = (80-98%) guaranteed 2HKO
Nowadays Milotic isn't run that bulky.
And that's just 3 hits.

Apart from mence and Amoonguss, all of your pokemon resist ice. I think Breloom would be better on amoongusses spot, as it gives you a tailwind sweeper, which, apart from terrakion, you don't have. Salamence does not need tailwind, it is fast enough.
Calc:
252 Atk breloom bullet seed (3 hits) vs. 252 252+ Milotic = (80-98%) guaranteed 2HKO
Nowadays Milotic isn't run that bulky.
And that's just 3 hits.
Thanks, I'll use Breloom over Amoonguss. It also gives my team more offensive pressure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)