SS OU Trying to qualify for suspect voting with Bulkup Cinderace (Need Help)

Being Suspicious...ly Swole

1600313534677.png
1600313624604.png
1600313649484.png
1600313669581.png
1600313684789.png
1600313704389.png

Introduction

For the last 2 years I've been dabbling in different draft leagues, but I randomly got the itch to play some OU. After realizing that Cinderace was being suspect tested I decided to see if I could make the requirement. However I've hit a bit of an impasse with this team and feel like I could use some outside eyes.

Teambuilding Process

1600314143841.png

This team started with me really wanting to utilize Bulk Up Cinderace. This let me wall break certain defensive checks with some support such as Toxapex and Hippowdon. It also gives me a bit of a leg up on some other offensive mons such as opposing Cinderace. You can also play mindgames vs opposing dittos as you have a bit of rock paper scissors mindgames. Since this was part of the suspect test I figured it'd be best to play with the man himself.

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png

Clefable was another nice piece here. One of the most ubiquitous mons in OU for a reason. I really liked it helping me vs mons like Urshifu, Dragapult, Kommo-o and Hawlucha especially. It also can pass Wish to Cinderace and Teleport it in to give it free Pyroballs vs things like Magnezone, Corvinight, Amoongus, Ferrothorn and Skarmory

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png
1600315014528.png

The original version of this team was running a sort of Stallbreaker Mew. (circa Gen 7). The main idea being to win the early Hazard war and get layers of spikes down. Spikes are valuable on this team (and something that may be worth looking into again) because of all the switches I can force. I wanted things to help clear things like Toxapex and Hippowdon out of the way for Cinderace, but in practice it didn't really work out that way. I'll get to more about how I replaced mew later.

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png
1600315014528.png
1600314607296.png

Pex was next. This was for a few things, 1 was to help alleviate Clefable's stress load vs things like Urshifu-S and Physical or mixed Aegislash among other things,. It also was a check in a way to some variants of Volcarona with access to Haze.

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png
1600315014528.png
1600314607296.png
1600315446551.png

Zeraora was also another solid candidate for the team. Really helps vs things like Slowbro and Toxapex, and puts a further hurt on opposing Clefable, Togekiss, Corvinight, Mandibuzz and Skarmory as well. Also just having a fast thing is extremely helpful in the late game, as Zeraora can revenge a lot of things in the OU tier from Dragapult to Alakazam, to Primarina, to Hawlucha's that lost their unburden. Also a nice pivot into Cinderace vs things like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, and Amoongus.

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png
1600315014528.png
1600314607296.png
1600315446551.png
1600315801280.png

Excadrill was mostly a concession to role compression. Removal and Rocks all in 1 mon, with the bonus of not defogging away my own spikes. Without Swords Dance it loses a lot of breaking power but can help vs certain mons, namely Clefables, Magenzone, and Toxtricity or Aegislash if you can get the jump on them.

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png
1600314607296.png
1600315446551.png
1600315801280.png
1600316245612.png

After playing quite a few games I was absolutely getting man handled by Rillaboom any time it showed up. I had absolutely no answer for it. I also didn't love fighting opposing Zeraora nor Excadrill. Ultimately I dropped Mew as it didn't have the defensive potential that Amoongus filled and this really shored up a lot of my trouble matchups. I no longer simply lost to Rillaboom on team preview, and didn't have to dance as hard around opposing Zeraora which was a huge plus. I do miss the spikes support.

This was the version of the team I ran for a while, but I kept having 1 major problem. Psychic Volcarona. Toxapex could handle Giga Drain or Roost versions of Volcarona pretty well, but I kept losing to Psychic variants, a lot. Occasionally I'd lose to random other strong special attackers as well, Rotom-H, Togekiss, Kyurem among others.

1600314143841.png
1600314485655.png
1600314607296.png
1600315446551.png
1600316245612.png
1600316696326.png

Cue the final change of the roster adding Blissey. Now you may notice, I have no removal on the team. However ultimately my team consists of 3 Heavy Duty Boots, 1 Magic Guard pokemon, and 2 Regenerators. This means that outside of getting spikes stacked out by a Mew, or on rare occasions a Skarmory or Ferrothorn, I can almost entirely ignore hazards, especially Toxic Spikes, which every pokemon on my team is essentially immune to, and Sticky Web which only effects the slowest members of the team. That said Blissey had 2main goals, be a catch all special wall, especially for Volcarona and Specs Magnezone (which gave me issues before), and Setup Rocks.

The Team
1600317508335.png

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch

Bulkup is a great Cinderace set. With the amount of heavy duty boots on Pokemon like Toxapex and Hippowdon, U-turn loses a lot of its appeal. Bulkup gives you a lot of breaking power vs both of those checks as well in the mid to late game. It also means you don't really need something like Gunk Shot or Iron Head for Clefable because they don't really appreciate repeated +1 Pyro Balls to the face very much. Bulkup also makes it harder to be revenge killed by something like Choice Band Rillaboom, which can normally do 50% + with Grassy Glide. Sucker Punch is a huge deal vs faster threats like Gengar, Dragapult, weakened Zeraora, and the rare Choice Scarf Chandelure. I've been super satisfied with this set so far as it really abuses Cinderace's strengths and mitigates some of its weaknesses.

1600317536554.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Teleport Clef is a bit out of vogue right now, but it compliments both Zeraora and Cinderace incredibly well as Clefable lures in things such as Excadrill, Corviknight, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Magnezone, Skarmory, Aegislash and more, only to pivot right out into one of our main breakers. Clefable also just does a good job supplementing the rest of the defensive core as it is sort of a jack of all trades master of none defensively, as it isn't the best a solo check to things like Hydreigon, Hawlucha and Urshifu-s, but it certainly helps take the load off the more dedicated checks. Late Game Clefable can really bring my breakers back to full health safely to finish off the job and that has been invaluable. Have been satisfied with this set as well so far.

1600317845141.png

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off Toxic Spikes

Probably needs no introduction, one of the best defensive Pokemon. Has a lot of positive matchups defensively and prevents certain breakers from destroying me, notably Urshifu-S (along side Clefable), Urshify-r-s, Scizor, Some Aegislash, Hawlucha, and non-Psychic Volcarona just to name a few. I originally had Knock off, which was nice for utility, but once I switched to Blissey I decided to go for Toxic Spikes. The main few reasons were certain setup sweepers were really punishing without it, 2 it helped wear down defensive checks to our breakers, like Hippowdon, and lastly it encouraged my opponent to defog which made up for my lack of removal, and gave me free switches to my breakers as well, it has some weaknesses, with the amount of grounded poisons and HDBs but it does serve a purpose in select matchups. Haze is needed for things like Volcarona, DD Dragapult, some variations of Hawlucha, Aegislash and Kommo-o as well.

1600318363397.png

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

I messed with the Special variation of this because the access to Grass Knot for Hippowdon (and to a lesser extent Seismitoad and Gastrodon) was appealing, but ultimately access to Close Combat and Knock Off was too good, and Aura Sphere and Grass Knot failed to pickup consistent 2HKOs without a boosting item. Knock Off is a great tool for knocking off boots and helmets and lefties on common switch ins. Additionally it lets me revenge kill Alakazam, Aegislash, and Dragapult effectively, as well as hit cheeky Dittos and opposing Zeraora who try to come in on an electric moves. This is mostly here to help the Pex matchup, but smart players can sometimes prevail in late game scenarios since Zeraora with boots lacks the stopping power other sets might have. Close Combat helps vs Blissey primarily, but it also hurts other mons like Ferrothorn, Magnezone, Excadrill, Tyranitar (which this team especially struggles to KO otherwise). Volt Switch helps get free switches into Cinderace vs the common Grass types that like to come in vs Zeraora. Boots allow a lot of free pivoting.

1600322037948.png

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic Stomping Tantrum

Tired of auto losing to Rillaboom at team preview, Amoongus filled in a slot nicely on this team. It can be very nice to just have a (mostly) blanket check to 2 of the most common pokemon in the tier (Rillaboom and Zeraora). This sadly is my best Excadill check on the team (which can potentially cause problems) and it struggles against random U-turns (which helmet does its best to punish). Its also one of my better switch ins to opposing Amoongus if I dont want to get randomly spored. I'm not sold completely on Stomping Tantrum, its mostly there for Magnezone, who otherwise has an incredibly free switch in if I've already slept something else, but I'm open to ideas for the slot. Its also just generally possible this should be another mon, potentially Ferrothorn (which isn't as good of a Zeraora check) or Tangrowth (which isn't as good of a Rillaboom check. I considered Skarmory in this slot, but decided against it, mostly because of Zeraora chewing through both my Defensive checks at that point.

1600319313251.png

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

As much as I'd love to run either Wish/Protect or Teleport, Blissey really really needs to be running Both Rocks and Toxic on my team. Toxic makes non-safeguard volcarona child's play (and Pex can beat the safeguard version if needed), and also really helps punish swichins, even if it does so slightly worse than say teleport. If I didnt think Clef was better off running Wish/Protect/Teleport I would consider freeing up Rocks off Blissey, but as it stands it needs both. Otherwise Blissey is preferred over Chansey because of HDB. Blissey does have a very solid catch all option to special attackers, something the team sorely missed before its addition.

Threat List

This team has a lot of holes, and ones I'm struggling to patch up at that. I'll Rank them in order of how threatening they are to me.

1600320370764.png

Swords Dance Crawdaunt absolutely fucks this team up. Its possible I wasn't approaching it correctly, but if you switch and it gets a boost its literally over. The problem is you can't often threaten it enough to prevent it from boosting, so at best you're trading like 1.5 mons for this thing if you play optimally. There honestly aren't a lot of great solutions to this thing as switchins, outside of super niche options. This is honestly the number 1 on my threatlist

1600320802305.png

Azumarril has 2 problematic sets. 1 is Belly Drum. With a Belly Drum under its belt, if I didnt get tspikes down, its will quite frequently sweep me by itself. 2nd issue is the Whirlpool Perish Song set, which I've run into more than once on ladder. Because its so hard to know what set it is, I've frequently lost key pieces thinking it was a different set.

1600321083167.png

Venusaur in Sun is incredibly difficult for my team. Blissey can help, but if Venusaur starts stacking a lot of Growth stacks, its easy to get behind. Toxapex has issues with Venusaur as well as it takes a lot off of growth boosted Giga Drains.

1600319841113.png

Specifically, Swords Dance Excadrill. Doubly so if its Sand Rush, as it breaks both of my physical walls very easily. If its not sand rush I can try to revenge kill it, but if it is, I'm in trouble.

1600319955203.png

Well only 1 set, which is Grassy Seed, Swords Dance, Acrobatics which 360 dunks on Amoongus. In general even LO Swords Dance is harder to deal with, but as long as Amoongus is healthy I can usually manage it.

1600320119054.png
+Steel Type

Especially if I lose a lot of ground to letting in the steel type, such as getting spiked stacked by a Skarm or Ferrothorn, or getting Defogged by Corviknight, or even Aegislash which can run a lot of varying sets. In these scenarios you lose so much by going for Giga Drain (or Toxic when I ran it). Its also really hard to break Hippowdon, especially if they either get consistent defogs against your Toxic Spikes when you have Amoongus out, or they have a grounded poison to absorb them.

1600320965037.png

Lead Mew is problematic because it will nearly always end up with multiple layers of spikes up against me. My current iteration of my team cannot remove hazards and it makes my 2 defensive poisons have a lot of issues

1600321682096.png

Cinderace is a problem, especially if its running Zen Heatbutt AND Iron Head/ Gunk Shot. The Unpredictability of its moveset really hurts my matchup against it, as outside of Hippowdon, there aren't that many "fool proof" checks.

(I may add more to this section later, a few other issues I'm sure I'm forgetting right now (such as rain), feel free to let me know below)

Conclusion
I've played about 50-60 games with the different iterations of the team and with the current iteration, I'm 16-7 (after starting something like 11-1). A lot of the above mons are responsible for my losses, with a few mistakes/frustration plays thrown in for good measure. I'd really love some feedback as my goal is to be eligible to vote on this suspect test. Overall I like the sort of Bulky Offense (or semi stall, I'm bad at labeling things) playstyle of the team. I really like the Synergy between the 2 pivots and Cinderace. I'd love some advise on how to change the team, as outside of the main core of Bulk-up Cinderace + Clefable, I'm really open to almost any suggestions, big or small. There also may be flaws with how I built the team, or other major holes in the plan I've overlooked, as I'm an inexperienced builder.
text goes here

Exportable

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Pyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Stomping Tantrum

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, here to offer some suggestions

Firstly I just would like to say your RMT is great, you've explained yourself clearly and put a lot of detail into this, so good job. The suggestions I will make I feel keeps the spirit of the team, while also addressing some Pokemon in the threat list you provided. Firstly, a good answer to Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Excadrill is Tangrowth, and performs a very similar role to your current Amoonguss, so my first change would be to replace Amoonguss with Tangrowth. The Poison-typing provided by Amoonguss is somewhat redundant thanks to Toxapex, and this will give you a better match up versus the aforementioned Ground-types, while still serving as a great check to Rillaboom. Speaking of Rillaboom, its mentioned as a threat for this team, and rightly so. I think the most logical change would be to change Clefable to Togekiss. Togekiss acts as a great check to Rillaboom, and also helps against the likes of Azumarill and Crawdaunt, outspeeding both. If you're really struggling against the likes of entry hazards from Mew, you could even run a Defog set if that suits you, but I'll leave that up for you to decide.

Here are the sets, hope this was somewhat helpful :heart:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Heal Bell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)