VGC Trick Room Wall

Hello everyone, and thank you for checking out my second VGC 18 RMT. This is a Trick Room Team I've been messing with that seems to be working pretty damn well to be honest. However, it can use some improvements, and the loses I've incurred could be from what could be improved, or even my lack of time with VGC, but to find that out is why I am here. Thank you in advance.

Stakataka @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 17 Def / 0 Spe
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard

Stakataka is the main abuser of Trick Room here. When it was first announced I had hoped it would be a cool and unique typing such as Rock/Ghost or something along those lines. Unfortunately it got the redundant Rock/Steel typing which....is terrible defensively. Lucking, it is a great offensive typing, and under Trick Room Stakataka is not a threat to take lightly. Boasting the single most powerful Gyro Ball in the game, this Pokemon can make great use out of it as it's main STAB move, while Rock Slide is the secondary choice here as well as a nice spread move. I don't run Trick Room on this set due to already having two other Trick Room users, and besides, the turn that Stakataka uses to set that up leaves it very vulnerable. Therefore a combination of Protect and Wide Guard is used to protect it/it's team for a move while it's partner sets up the Trick Room. EV and IV spread allow Stakataka's Attack stat to be raised by Beast Boost instead of Defense.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Having two offensive Steel types on the same team may seem like a bad idea, but Mega Mawile is an incredibly threatening Pokemon that acts on this team, more as a threatening physical Fairy Type than a Steel type. Play Rough is the STAB of choice hitting like a truck thanks to Huge Power, while Fire Fang is a tech choice over Iron Head to heat opposing Steel types like Ferrothorn or Celesteela. Sucker Punch provides some nice priority when facing opposing Trick Room teams or even if Trick Room isn't up. EV and IV set provides a powerful, bulky hitter that is super fast under Trick Room.

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 20 SpA / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Instruct
- Protect

Now I'm not a huge fan of Oranguru, if I am being 100% honest. From it's typing to it's design, I'm just not feeling it. However to say that it isn't a great tool in Trick Room would stupid as Oranguru is great for a variety of reasons. First up, it's the first of two Trick Room setters on the team, so that right there is important. Psychic is the stab move of choice which is always nice to have and finally we have it's signature move, and the main reason why I use this guy: Instruct. Instruct allows Oranguru to force a Pokemon to use the same move it had already used that turn again. Most of the time it will be used for a secondary Gyro Ball or Play Rough from Stakataka or Mawile, both of which hit like trucks. Mental Herb allows Oaranguru to set up a Trick Room after being taunted (As it seems that many Lele's carry these days). The EV and IV spread make sure that while Oranguru isn't exactly fast, under Trick Room is will move after any of it's team mates, making sure it gets an Instruct off.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Let's just come right out and say it. Porygon2 is fat. It's so fat that it's the perfect Pokemon to set up Trick Room on this team. Thanks to eviolite it is incredibly hard to OHKO and with the threat of Stakataka or Mawile beside it, most people try and take them out before aiming down at Porygon (And usually being stopped by a Protect). BoltBeam combo allows Porygon to hit many threats that run rampant in VGC such as Lando, Pelliper, Celesteela, and more. Finally, Recover over protect means that Porygon2 can heal up any damage and still keep some offensive presence, even if it is playing second fiddle to the main damage outputters on the team. At least the duck is trying.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Protect

Now this may seem like an unconventional choice for a Trick Room team. At least I think so. When you think Trick Room and Tapu, you probably think Fini, right? Well Fini isn't as Offensively inclined as Lele unless you are running Calm Mind, but I needed something that provided a good offensive presence from the get go that hit on the special side. Not to mention that stopping opposing priority on a Trick Room team is nice. Now this is a set that utilizes Psychium Z as a Psychic Z-move under Psychic Terrain is incredibly powerful. I decided to go with Shadow Ball over say thunderbolt as I already have BoltBeam coverage with Porygon, and Moonblast provides nice Fairy STAB should I not bring Mawile along. EVs and IVs allow Lele to be slow enough to take advantage of Trick Room.

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Darkest Lariat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

If only Incinroar could have Intimidate....well a guy can dream. Anyway, Inciniroar is the final member of this team providing Fake-Out support as well as a nice Fire/Dark STAB combo in Darkest Lariat and Flare Blitz. With Assault Vest Inciniroar can be utilized as a bulky attacker that can U-turn out should the need arise and I need a second Fake-Out. Not much to say about Inciniroar to be honest. It's a nice option to have against Cresselia and other Fairy types as it can take most of their STAB fairy moves and hit back hard, and is also great against the likes of Gengar and Aegislash.

Last edited:
It's a week late, but feedback!

1. Stakataka: at first, I really liked your idea of having stakataka without TR, as it can easily bait the opponent into thinking that he does indeed run TR, and that puts you at a serious advantage. However, i see two flaws with this strategy: either you lead with staka and a second TR setter (porygon2 or oranguru), and it's obvious stakataka is probably not running TR; or you lead without stakataka, in which case trick room is probably already set for you. I would personally free up wide guard for trick room - stakataka is a fairly selfish pokemon because it can be so good, and there's rarely a scenario where you would preferentially protect your partner over a guaranteed protect for staka. I also don't think life orb is the best item to use, because it really chips away at staka's bulk: i would recommend a z-crystal, but since that's taken up by lele, shuca berry is a great choice to reduce earthquake damage

2. With this in mind, this frees up one of your trick room setters. I would personally remove oranguru: i just don't see it as pulling enough weight compared to another pokemon. It really acts as if you have two stakas or mega mawile's on the field (offensively, anyway), and in a bad matchup can be a huge momentum drain. Removing porygon2 is also an option, because his offensive presence is quite limited, especially if he doesn't get the SpA boost from download. As you mentioned, at least our duck tries!

3. I love your choice of Incineroar: an excellent fakeout user. He would work well with stakataka as a lead, if necessary, since you seem quite concerned about it's ability to set up trick room on turn one, without support. I can't say with any certainty what the best strategy here is, and you may be right about dropping trick room on staka after all... Alternatively, hariyama is an option: it has fake out, wide guard, and can run a defensive thick fat or offensive guts+flame orb combo. However, a bit frail for my liking, but just a suggestion.

All in all a very solid team, it's a bit different to the team I have going, but i like it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)