SM OU Trick Room w/ Mega-Camerupt

Introduction

Hello guys, thanks for checking out my team. This is my first post on this forum and needless to say my first RMT. Although I am not new to pokemon, I never really got into team building as I am just not good at it. Obviously this team is not going to win any awards either, but it is not meant to be too serious. I just wanted to try out a trick room team just for fun and see how far it would get me.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Moves: Mach Punch | Drain Punch | Ice Punch | Facade​

The first mon I wanted on the team was Conkeldurr, one of my favorite trick room abusers. With its 140 base attack and acces to guts, it can ohko a lot of offensive mons and 2hko defensive walls like lando, toxapex and tangrowth. Drain punch is it's main stab move and adds to his longevity. Mach punch makes sure that fast glass canons like greninja and mega-lopunny still have to fear him outside of trickroom. Ice punch is to make sure landorus, zygarde and gliscor aren't save. As it's final move it runs facade, a move that gets stupid strong with the flame orb boost and deals heavy damage to mons that resist fighting (60% min to pex for example).
Conkeldurrs bulk enables it to switch in on some of the counters of the trick room setters.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Moves: Swords Dance | Crabhammer | Knock Off | Aqua Jet​

Crawdaunt is another excellent wallbreaker under trick room and another one of my favorites. It has a very solid 120 base attack with adaptability to boost all three of its attacks. Crabhammer and knock are easily spammable and hard to switch into. In aquajet it has a strong priority move that, as with conk, makes it a bit less helpless outside of trick room. Although crawdaunt lacks the bulk that conkeldurr has, it can still switch in once on some attackers that do not hit him for super effective damage like excadrill, mamoswine and even blacephalon to some extend.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
Moves: Trick Room | Ice Beam | Tri Attack | Recover​

When I read the following article on trick room in USM OU I was suprised that porygon2 wasn't mentioned. In my opinion it is easily one of the best defensive trick room setters. Holding an eviolite it is increadible bulky and the main devensive backbone of the team. Max spdef porygon2 is not 2hko'd by specs ash-gren and can easily switch into strong special attackers like tapu koko, while still living one high jump kick from hawlucha with relative ease. Tri attack is it's main attacking move and ice beam gives some nice coverage. It is also a solid lead as it beats the common landorus lead and can setup trick room right at the start of the match. I considered trace which is also nice for landorus and other intimidators but in the end I thought download is slightly better, but I might be wrong.
USM OU trick room article

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Moves: Trick Room | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam | Fleur Cannon​

Magearna is the second trick room setter and another reliable one. Thanks to its typing and excellent bulk it can switch in on a large number of mons in the meta. With max special attack magearna can also deal heavy damage and force switches. Fleur cannon is a nuke that evaporates mons weak to it, and thunderbolt and icebeam give it nice coverage to hit mons like pex and bulu respectively. If you need a nuke that doesn't drop your special attack or one that isn't resisted by steel types you can still use gigavolt havok. This move kills toxapex after a t-bolt, has a 93,8% chance to kill araquanid from full and blows back celesteela after rocks.

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Lonely
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
Moves: Trick Room | Gyro Ball | Stone Edge | Earthquake​

At first I thought about putting ferrothorn here, but the article I just mentioned made me curious to try out stakataka as it has the big advantage of having acces to trick room. At first it didn't work well for me as a rocker but then I found out that given the right conditions this thing can actually sweep really well. Gyro ball, stone edge and earthquake hit almost anything at least for neutral damage. Whith the right IV's stakataka's beast boost can turn into moxie and catch people off guard.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Moves: Fire Blast | Earth Power | Stealth Rock | Hidden Power [Ice]​

Finally we have mega-camerupt. A special attack base stat of 145 combined with sheer force make this another powerhouse. To switch into this monster's fire blast, resisting fire doesn't seem to be quite enough. Greninja and blacephalon drop after two of them for example. Earth power makes sure you do not get walled by heatran and t-tar and the like. Hidden power ice is there mainly to drop landorus on his neck under trick room.

Conclusion

I know this team isn't very good. It has some obvious flaws: no hazard control at all, very ground, fighting and water weak, and doubtless it has a lot of flaws I didn't even notice. I would be glad to hear about those though as that helps me get better. I know this team can't be turned into a real good one with minor changes only, but still, please give some suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Facade

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover

Magearna @ Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fleur Cannon

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hey dude, i'm going to RATE your team as well as i can.

As i see it, this TR is very weak, i know a TR isn't supposed to have a switchin for every mon, it is focused into clicking Trick Room and winning if the MU lets it happen, but, not having a fighting resist is something just terrible, because a mega medicham will win you in 6 turns if it doesn't miss High Jump Kick. One of the basics of the TR is having a great wall that will ensure that you can make trick room without dying and then switching into one of the other mons of your squad, so, what i want to say is that porygon isn't good enough to accomplish this. As you mention you are very ground, fighting, water weak and i will try to cover this after, you also mention that you don't have hazard control but this is not necessary in a trick room so we won't check this. I will try to tech the team without making a lot of major changes as u said.

Suggestions to Cover the Threats:

>
: Cresselia fits better as a trick setter for the team, its bulk is great, it also has access to recovery (like porygon), it's a good response for fighting and ground types, ice beam is a good coverage against ground types and lunar dance is great to fully recover one of your wallbreakers and switching into it in the same turn.

Minor Changes:

: Tbh, Mach Punch doesn't seem necessary to me in a trick room so it could be changed into another coverage move or into bulk up. I leave this at your election.

: I won't touch nothing here, i like it how it is, maybe you could consider adding some spe to make it a wincon if the TR is gone, cause it doesn't need to be bulky.

: I would switch ice beam to flash cannon because fleur cannon is enough to hit the grounds like chomp, lando or zygarde, and t bolt is enough to hit flying types, this way flash cannon could be a more realiable stab that doesn't lower your spa and offers more coverage. You could also use focus blast over ice beam to help to deal with Heatran.
Also, i recommend to run 2 ivs in spe to outspeed Tangrowth when the TR is gone.

: Since you are that weak to ground types you should try using air balloon in Stakataka.

: The suggestion i make here is that you could use flamethrower in place of fire blast because missing a turn in a trick room is a complete waste of a turn.

Threats:

I think that Greninja Ash would be the most threatening mon for team, but this happens with a lot of TRs, at least you have a water resit and 2 dark ones.
Mega Lopunny/Medicham with Fake out could be a problem for the team because fake out prevents you from attacking the turn on it is used and this is so bad for a TR team.

Import:

https://pokepast.es/78111dead95554ed

With this base you can make a lot of TRs like, switching m camerupt into another rock setter and then using m heracross over conkeldurr to cover ground weakness, you can also try crabominable or azumarill...

Hope you like it :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)