Trapping Overkill?

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
I wanted to use Magtrio, because I think I'm so cool for the Magneton set, and I thought I'd also be such a cool guy if I added in PursuitTar as well.

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 116 Atk / 180 SAtk / 36 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Grass]

It kills Gengar and clears counters (aka Swampert) for other stuff that I hadn't thought of yet after starting with Mag/Trio/Tar.

Magneton @ Salac Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Endure
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Screech
- Thunderbolt

Kill Skarmory, Endure Dugtrio. If it stays, OHKO with HP Grass. If it switches to what is likely Swampert, kill it with HP Grass. If it switches to Blissey/Snorlax, Screech it, sacrifice Magneton, and OHKO with Dugtrio (Snorlax can barely survive at full health, depending on EVs, but with a Sandstorm up, just about anything else I have can kill it). Didn't max Speed because max speed falls ONE FREAKING POINT short of TYING with Aero/Jolteon after Salac activation.

Dugtrio (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 48 HP / 240 Atk / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide

That other trapper guy I mentioned I wanted to use before.

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 120 Def / 132 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Here's where ideas had to start forming. I'm getting rid of both Skarmory (and maybe Forretress if it isn't running Earthquake) and Gengar, I could use a buffer for special attacks, especially from Zapdos, but Snorlax loses considerable durability in a sandstorm (from my POV). It'd be nice to have a sleep talker as well. This fit perfectly in consideration of all these factors.

Salamence (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spd
- Wish
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Roar

My answer to Heracross and buddy to help keep Suicune alive. I honestly don't like it. Also is a phazer because 95% of the time I need a phazer when building teams.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SAtk / 72 Spd
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

With MagTrio, I've probably cleared one or two of some relevant things by now, like Blissey, Snorlax, maybe even Raikou. That just leaves bulky waters and Zapdos to defend against this powerhouse, the former which gives me plenty of room to setup, especially if they try and status me.

The first three Pokemon are what I want to capitalize from. Snorlax seems viable, so it'd be cool if it could stay as well, but I want to find three Pokemon that work with Tar/Mag/Trio's trapping capabilities without leaving myself too open to being set up on (see how I have to Sacrifice Magneton for a shot at destroying Snorlax or risk damage with Salamence to force it out). If I could straight up overpower some of those setups (again, I'm thinking vs Snorlax, mainly), that'd be cool, but I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

imo give wishmence a more defensive set, and then you don't really have to worry about lax damaging you too much. with 32ish speed evs, max hp, rest in defense and a +def nature takes insignificant damage from unstabbed rock slides, even at +1, so hera doesn't beat it even though it's slower without tons of luck. it'll take less than 20% from snorlax's body slams as well, so you can roar it out pretty easily if it's curselax, and if it's mixlax suicune can sub up on it after you intimidate it and set up without snorlax breaking its subs. additionally, since you're already getting rid of steels pretty consistently between magneton and dugtrio, you might want to put hp flying or dragon claw on mence. flamethrower is pretty lame when your opponent will still just be switching bulky waters into you anyway, and hp flying will let you switch into gyarados and actually beat it (particularly with the def investment). alternatively you could try skarm over mence since you have magneton to trap enemy forretresses and dugtrio to keep enemy magnetons at bay, but then i would change your cune to another set or maybe a milotic or swampert.

the real issue with this team, moreso than curselax i think, is enemy cmcune, especially if it has roar, since it shuts down both of your setup sweepers pretty easily and walls ttar. you might want to use double-edge or at least frustration on lax to force cune to rest a bit sooner, and give you a better chance of beating it one on one. aside from that the only other chance you have is magneton, which will only be switching in once or twice. you can also try a completely special modest ttar with crunch over rock slide and thunder instead of fire blast to perhaps take suicune by surprise with a 2hko. if the screech + duggy strategy manages to remove the opponent's special wall a fully special tyranitar could actually be rather imposing.

i've done my best........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)