Total War

This tread is all about the Total War series. Do you play the game? Do you play it online? Which one of the Total War series? Which strategy do you use? Which faction is the best? Which one is the hardest? Am I asking to much?

I usually play Rome total war, because the TW games made before them pretty much suck... I like playing online, but the waiting times are really annoying. I try playing with all the factions, but I prefer Carthage. I like bridge battles the most, with lots of ranged troops and some infantery to defend the bridge.

Now put on that toga of yours and tell the community what you think.

I played it for 10 mins and its horrible, crap.
I disagree, all the more so because there are so few grand strategy-RTS games that offer you the depth of Total War.

Medieval II is where it's at for me though. Also Shogun, while far from the best, has the most nostalgia for me.

I really don't like shogun, it is far from the best indeed. Those graphics...
The part of Medieval II I like the most is when you have a weak infantry unit, standing in a long line. Then the foe uses a cavalry attack, and right before your men fall, you put them behind a wall of wooden stakes and there go their horses.
I played it for 10 mins and its horrible, crap.
Maybe that is because you played it for 10 minutes? It's a great game full of strategy, and an amazing range of options. You off course do have to take your time for playing it. Also, which of the total war games are you talking about?

I've had Medieval II for almost three months now, and I am only on my second long campaign.
This game is just too good, although I find cavalry to be more finicky then in Rome Total War, and assaulting castles much more annoying.

Other then that, amazing game :)

If you believe that, I suggest playing Starcraft: Brood War competitvely.
Notice he said "grand stratagy", meaning controlling thousands of units at a time.

Also, you have clearly never played a Total War game if you think that SC has more depth (not that it is not a deep game)

Notice he said "grand stratagy", meaning controlling thousands of units at a time.

Also, you have clearly never played a Total War game if you think that SC has more depth (not that it is not a deep game)
Ok, I have played this particular TW, not competitively though. I mentioned BW as a suggestion to another gamer, not to debate a game I know rather thoroughly with a game I don't. I do know enough however to realize that they're not really the same kind of game in that R:TW has some turn-based elements and SC:BW is entirely real-time. However, since you did say "not that it has depth", let's do some educating...

SC:BW is an 11 year old with outdated graphics, outdated user interface, outdated servers on Battle.net, and still it is played by people all over the world. It is an E-sport in Korea and has been for...8 years now iirc? Oh and not just an E-sport, the bigger BW progamers are basically celebrities in Korea (look up Slayers_Boxer, iloveoov, Jaedong, Nada, Savior, Bisu if you would like to know specifics), also University of California @ Berkeley is offering an Applied Game Theory course in SC:BW (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=86501).

As fas as OP is concerned, as I said I'm not trying to debunk any strategical worth of R:TW, in fact as a competitive RTS gamer I think it's great that people play really solid games instead of the fluff, pop culture "competitive" gaming that's everywhere (SSBB, MKvsDCU, D/P.....lol I had to say the last one...). If you plan on saying that SC:BW lacks depth, I would truly LOVE to hear your reasoning.

I just got RTW a week ago, and WOW. After living off AoE I find it incredible. the ability to control thousands of men is always fun, and the city building is more sophisticated. One thing that I have noticed is that you don't get to fight your own naval battles, which would be a great addition to an already great game.

A fun thing to do: Do a custom battle on a bridge map. Be the Greek Cities. Get a unit of Spartan Hoplites. Give them full experience/armour/weapons. Make the opponents whoever you like, and give them full peasants. Quickly rush your soldiers to the bridge, then put them into phalanx formation. Now watch as the peasants die by the hundred!

I've got some amazing news! Today I recieved the extension Barbarian Invasion from my friend, and it really is awesome. The Roman Empire has split up(no more senate), and most Barbarians merged and separated again. Now there are Franks,Goths...and a personal favourite: the Huns.
It is a jump in time, so religion plays an important role too. You can now have hordes, so you don't have to take a city, but instead just plunder it and move on. The motto of the game is: "You came, you saw, you concoured...you're not finished yet" and you can really see this. If you enjoy(ed) RTW, this is something for you.
I'll play this a lot tomorow:naughty:

I have heard empires is super glitchy.

Medieval 2 was unplayable until the expansions thanks to various cavalry glitches and other bullshit stuff. Medieval 2 was perhaps the best of the series.

I have heard empires is super glitchy.
Yeah, I'd like to know more about this. I've seen it on the internet a couple of times, but is there someone on smogon who played it himself and can confirm this? It looks like this is the biggest TW ever, with sea battles and stuff like that, so good info can always come in handy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)