Tormentosu (First Attempt RMT)

I just wanted to first of all express that this is a bit of an odd team, primarily meant for Wifi UU on the Pokemon Online server. I've tested it a fair bit and found that it has some kinks in it that I would hope could be pointed out. The main concept is to use Tornelos to mimick the rather famous Tormentran set used by Heatran in conjunction with residual damage. Without further ado...

THE LEAD: AMBIPOM
Jolly Nature, Technician, 252/252 Attack and Speed, 4 Defense, Life Orb
Moveset: Fake Out, Taunt, Low Kick, U-turn

Why Ambipom? Denchura was not effective at stopping most Sturdy, Stealth Rock, and Focus Sash leads and seemed to only be effective on revenge killing. Ambipom seems capable of doing all of these combined. Fake Out and U-turn have obvious merits, though I rather like Fake Out buying an extra turn of residual damage if Ambipom can be saved from the lead matchup. Low Kick works well after breaking Sturdy against leads like Bastiodon and Gigaith, and Taunt helps prevent most entry hazards like Spikes. Ambipom is also made to run sweeper EVS and maximum speed over power to speed tie with other Ambipom.

Considered Changes: Changing Life Orb for Leftovers or Lum Berry. Survivability is an issue, and being able to flinch/Taunt has come in handy far more than once. However, after Fake Out and Uturn, he's down over 30% of his health when he comes back in on Stealth Rock.

THE T-SPIKER: ROSERADE
Timid Nature, Natural Cure, 216HP/252Spe/40 SpA, Leftovers
Moveset: Toxic Spikes, Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Hidden Power Fire

Why Roserade? One of the critical components of my main strategy is to set down Toxic Spikes to ease Tornelos's stalling abilities. Roserade was chosen for speed and access to Sleep. Giga Drain is chosen over Leaf Storm for staying power, and the Generation 5 buff to BP also helps rather nicely. Roserade also provides a nice Grass resist for Milotic, and absorbs Toxic Spikes on entry unlike Weezing.

Considered Changes: Perhaps swapping Giga Drain for Leaf Storm, and Hidden Power Fire for Aromatherapy. Nidoqueen or King as possible replacement for Electric Immunity, but water weakness and Fire neutrality.

THE ANTIBOOSTER/BURN SPREADER: WEEZING
Levitate, Calm Nature, 252HP/216SpD/40Def, Leftovers
Moveset: Pain Split, Haze, WilloWisp, Thunderbolt

Why Weezing? Weezing has always proven a rather reliable wall, with decent bulk and a touch of speed. Levitate also provides a relatively safe switch against Earthquakes directed to Registeel, helping to cover the golem's weaknesses save Fire. Weezing's main role is to spread burns to Steel and Poison types that would be unaffected by Toxic Spikes, and help keep Bulk Up users like Zuzurukin in check with Haze. Thunderbolt is kept as a reliable offensive weapon in case of Taunt users who would pose a threat. Pain Split is an unreliable form of recovery, but has managed to save Weezing a few times after a particularly savage hit.

Considered Changes: Very few, if at all. Weezing has worked very well in it's duties thus far, and I feel that each of it's moves are very respectable in his work. I wouldn't consider giving up Haze or Wisp at all due to Bulk Up abusers, since Weezing has proven capable of outspeeding bulky Zuzurukins who post a threat.

THE BULKY WATER: MILOTIC
Bold Nature, 252Hp/252 Def/4 SpD, Leftovers, Marvel Scale
Moveset: Boil Over, Recover, Ice Beam, Dragon Tail

Milotic's main role is to help take Ice and Fire attacks directed for Roserade, Tornelos, and Registeel. Boil Over and Ice Beam serve very good coverage outside opposing Water types, who would either be crippled by burn or badly poisoned from Toxic Spikes. Recover is rather typical on a Milotic, yet Dragon Tail deserves special mention. With it, Milotic can perform minor phazing against foes who think they can set up rather easily on Milotic, particularly special Calm-Minders who wouldn't mind being harmed by burn. It also helps to deliver a bit of damage to a possible wallbreaker and shuffle them away, often to nail them as they return with an Ice Beam or Boil Over, or a Recover should Milotic be feeling under the weather.

Considered Changes: None. I feel that Milotic has earned her place on the team rather nicely by giving additional burn support, and she's proven crucial to covering Fire and Ice for most of the team. If Tornelos is the star of the show, Milotic certainly has proven to be one hell of a supporting act.

THE ROCKS/STONE EDGE BLOCKER: REGISTEEL
Sassy Nature, 252Hp/252SpD/4Def, Leftovers
Moveset: Stealth Rock/Iron Head/Curse/Rest

Why Registeel? I noticed that I'd have a hard time taking repeated Stone Edge and Ice attacks for Denchura, Tornelos, and Roserade. Psychic attacks were also a concern after the Poison typing of Weezing and Roserade proved to be a bit weakening. Registeel provides the all-important Stealth Rock, and a very effective special wall with Curse to help assist in the physical spectrum. Rest is a given, as it's the only form of recovery outside Leftovers that Registeel can use. Iron Head over Earthquake is a PP choice, as well as allowing Registeel to at least fight back against levitating or flying foes whom would otherwise be able to walk all over Registeel. Though, it's spent more time sitting around looking pretty and taking hits than striking back with Iron Head, I find it.

Considered Changes: Iron Head not being the sole attacking move, Curse as optional and taking a secondary attacking move instead like Earthquake or Ice Punch.

STAR OF THE SHOW, RAGE INDUCER: TORNELOS
Calm Nature, 252HP/252SpD/4Spe, Mischievous Heart, Leftovers
Moveset: Torment/Substitute/Protect/Toxic

Why Tornelos? I felt that he was the underestimated and often ignored of the genie trio, and was thinking of ways to make him the center of a team. Lack of specially boosting techniques and dependence on Rain for Hurricane made a special attacker set not worth it in my eyes, and Bulk Up lacked reliable STAB physically. The favored alternative in my mind was to forgo any offense whatsoever and look at a favored Heatran set for inspiration. Consider this Tormentran on crack. Mischievous Heart gives every one of his moves priority, allowing him to easily stall out Toxic Poisoned foes easily in a matter of a few turns, as well as never having to worry about speed ties. Protect and Substitute work together to ensure that a move the foe has that can break a Sub is Torment-locked, allowing Tornelos to constantly maintain a protective little shield for himself. Toxic is for flying foes otherwise immune to Toxic Spikes, though care must be taken around foes like Zapdos who often carry a Hidden Power. Torment is the main attraction, allowing Tornelos to shut down several foes who cannot get past his Substitutes, or force monoattackers to stall themselves out on status or recovery as the Toxic damage racks itself up.

Considered changes: So far, Tornelos has proven fairly tricky to get in safely save for Earthquakes. However, once seated behind a Sub and with Toxic Spikes down, the Genie is free to unleash hell. The problem thus far is getting him in comfortably. I feel the EV spread is inefficient, as it is mainly to help ward off common Electric or Ice attacks off the special side, but I may consider a physical shift.

Any criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm rather hopeful that this sort of play and use of Tornelos would catch on, I think the Wind Genie deserves a bit of usage compared to it's 'stronger' brothers.

Just a nitpick, but the electric genie runs the torment set better than tornelos due to its better typing (no weakness to electric and resistances to flying and steel)

Ambipom is far and away a better lead than Denchura, thanks to much higher speed, Fake Out, Taunt, and access to U-Turn. Low Kick makes it formidable and allows it to effectively revenge Aggron, among others, after breaking Sturdy with Fake Out.

Also, Fire Blast/Flamethrower > Thunderbolt on Weezing. It allows you to handle EQuakers, especially steels like Registeel, even more efficiently.

I will try alternating play between Ambipom and Denchura. Perhaps a Uturn variant with Low Kick, Fake Out, and Taunt as the other options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)