Stats - 155/110/125/50/80/45
Ability - Vessel of Ruin

Notable Moves
Physical -
Body Press, Earthquake, Heavy Slam, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Zen Headbutt
Special - Ruination
Status - Protect, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Taunt

Vessel of Ruin
The Sp. Atk of all other active Pokemon is reduced by 25%.
Ruination
- BP | 90% ACC | 16 PP
Does damage equal to 1/2 of target’s current HP.

Pros

- Absolutely gargantuan bulk. 155/125/80 + an ability that reduces damage done by special attackers means that this Pokemon is very hard to take down with just raw damage output.

- A decent typing that grants it both useful resistances to Dark, Ghost, and Stealth Rock, as well as some decent offensive coverage with STAB Earthquake.

- A decent Attack stat that keeps it from being just a passive blob. In addition to this, it has a usable amount of offensive coverage options, like Body Press, Stone Edge, and Heavy Slam.

- Access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes makes it a very solid hazard stacking Pokemon.

Cons

- Ting-Lu’s movepool is extremely middling. It has no reliable recovery options, making it incredibly vulnerable to repeated chip damage and status conditions.

- It also lacks any reliable Dark-type STAB, hindering the potential for more offensive variants.

- The defensive typing, while offering a decent amount of benefits, gives it terrible weaknesses to Fairy, Fighting, Water, Ice, Grass, and U-turn.

Tera Potential?

I do not think Ting-Lu should Tera, as most of the time it should be acting a more defensive presence, and considering the fact that Ting-Lu is generally a solid bulky Pokemon for bulky offense and balance structures, there are generally better abusers. In addition, it gets no set-up moves, meaning that it will be stuck with just its only decent 110 Attack. If you were to Tera it however, I’d imagine you go Tera Ground or Dark to gain doubled STAB.

Specially Defensive
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Body Press / Stone Edge / Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Protect / Taunt / Stone Edge / Ruination / Rock Tomb

This set is the one I have seen used to the most success. Stone Edge’s natural synergy with Earthquake make it a decent alternative to it. Protect allows Ting-Lu to stack Leftovers recovery while also scouting super effective attacks. Taunt allows Ting-Lu to deny opposing teams their own hazards. The rest should be rather self-explanatory.

Edit - Almost forgot about Ruination! Ruination is a nice option for dishing out consistent damage to most, if not, all foes.

Overall

Ting-Lu seems like an alright bulky Pokemon in the tier. Its natural bulk is amazing and its typing is solid, meaning that it can deter many strong Pokemon in one slot. Its movepool, while quite small, gives it many options, such as Stealth Rock and Spikes, making it a very solid bulky entry hazard setter for bulky offense and balance teams. It also has enough Attack to support itself, meaning it is not unreasonably passive. However, the numerous relevant weaknesses and lack of reliable recovery really let it down, as it means it can be aimed down by miscellaneous coverage or repeated chip damage.

Last edited:
I can see potential for this thing. Maybe not in OU, but a bulky AV offensive set could work. Terra into pure ground to make it even harder to kill. I can see this being a menace in Trick Room teams.

Whirlwind is really good on this thing. It can tank at least one hit from like any threat and force it out, racking up hazard damage and getting rid of Booster Energy boosts forever. It's a really solid option. This is my preferred set:

:ss/ting-lu:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Poison
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Ruination
- Whirlwind

Poison is the best Tera Type and a decent defensive option in a lot of cases. It turns Ting-Lu's weaknesses to Fighting, Fairy, Bug, and Grass into resists.

One potential option that Ting-Lu has access to is Sand Tomb + Ruination, similar to Tapu Fini's Whirlpool set. You'd have to forgo hazards for it, which isn't a problem Fini had, it can potentially remove any wall that wants to swap into it like Slowbro or Quagsire.

Whirlwind is really good on this thing. It can tank at least one hit from like any threat and force it out, racking up hazard damage and getting rid of Booster Energy boosts forever. It's a really solid option. This is my preferred set:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Ruination
- Whirlwind

Poison is the best Tera Type and a decent defensive option in a lot of cases. It turns Ting-Lu's weaknesses to Fighting, Fairy, Bug, and Grass into resists.
Not a bad idea for a phazer and entry hazard abuser. Totally walled by Flying types and Levitators though since you can't divide to zero with Ruination. Stealth Rock could work as a replacement for Spikes though to alleviate that.

Not a bad idea for a phazer and entry hazard abuser. Totally walled by Flying types and Levitators though since you can't divide to zero with Ruination. Stealth Rock could work as a replacement for Spikes though to alleviate that.
True, it's not really trying to break things though, so being walled isn't a big deal. It's a wall with utility, so against something like corviknight you might click Ruination, forcing it to roost off the damage, and then switch out to something offensive (for instance, Gholdengo to block Defog and keep up the spikes you just set, or Chi-yu to threaten it out.

report a fault. DEF of Ting-Lu is 125 not 130.
The correct Stats should be 155/110/125/55/80/45

Last edited:

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Ruination
- Whirlwind

Yeah, I've been running Whirlwind so far and it has done wonders for both substitute users and sweepers who think they can stack stats against it. It's mostly the surprise factor, though...I'm not sure why no one expects it.

This thing's getting a big boost with 2 of it's biggest problem getting booted from the tier, I'm expecting to see a huge surge of people trying this out, especially since I think Gholdengo and Chi-Yu are gonna start to take off.

I haven't confirmed this myself but apparently there's a lot of grimsnarl screens offence running around, and Ting Lu absolutely destroys it. Set up spikes for free on grimsnarl, and you easily tank it's fairy stab without issue, and as soon as they go to something else, you can whirlwind it out and completely break momentum.

I haven't confirmed this myself but apparently there's a lot of grimsnarl screens offence running around, and Ting Lu absolutely destroys it. Set up spikes for free on grimsnarl, and you easily tank it's fairy stab without issue, and as soon as they go to something else, you can whirlwind it out and completely break momentum.
Yeah, the only problem with this is a lot of those mons are starting to carry Taunt. Whirlwind is still really potent but you need further counterplay to big offensive threats, because Taunt can sometimes let them set up on you for free. It’s a meta adaptation that may be partially due to Ting-Lu.

Edit: Seventy Yeah it's immune to Grimm's Taunt, but other team members can carry it. I've seen it a fair bit on things like Annihilape which doesn't need coverage moves.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only problem with this is a lot of those mons are starting to carry Taunt. Whirlwind is still really potent but you need further counterplay to big offensive threats, because Taunt can sometimes let them set up on you for free. It’s a meta adaptation that may be partially due to Ting-Lu.
Isn't Ting-Lu immune to prankster taunt from grimmsnarl?

Figured I'd take advantage of Ting-Lu's Melmetal-level bulk and reputation for being a lazy hazards setter that invites in offensive checks and use Choice Band Ting-Lu instead:

Ting-Lu @ Choice Band
Tera Type: Electric / Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Throat Chop
- Stone Edge
- Tera Blast / Ruination

You'd be shocked what CB Ting-Lu can OHKO or darn close to - this needs hazards support, though:

252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chien-Pao: 286-337 (95 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Quaquaval: 288-340 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 262-309 (90.6 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 339-399 (109 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Roaring Moon: 315-372 (89.7 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Cyclizar: 339-399 (98.5 - 115.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 238-282 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Throat Chop vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 181-214 (74.7 - 88.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Gholdengo: 452-534 (119.5 - 141.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band burned Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Skeledirge: 237-280 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Great Tusk: 189-223 (50.9 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lokix: 147-173 (51.9 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 143-168 (54.7 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Ting-Lu Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Meowscarada: 160-189 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stone Edge is a way to smack Flying-types harder, especially Dragonite, without needing to Tera.

Tera Electric is mainly to get a cool Corviknight-smacking attack and an arguably better defensive typing (especially against rain teams).

Dunno about the defensive EVs - seems like HP investment is worse than SpD investment but ironically better than Def investment.

Dunno if I gave CB Ting-Lu the best teammates I could - trying not to stack Ground-types and feeling semi-stuck using Corviknight as the Steel-type kinda sucked, and finding that Garganacl was likely the best remaining Stealth Rock setter at loading on passive damage sucked even more due to stacking Water and Grass weaknesses - but here are some replays showing CB Ting-Lu shredding offensive mons and hitting shockingly hard:

This thing might be the bulkiest Pokémon in the whole entire game. Almost impossible to OHKO without a boosted or SE move. It is also one of the best phazers and isn't super passive. Don't underestimate this thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)