This team really shouldnt work

seriously, four choice users and one counter sasher? what the fuck was i thinking?
and yet, it somehow does. i have managed a decent record (that means better than 50% for me)

so basic outline of the team should be first i guess.

and now in depth analysis'.

Gengar (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability:Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd 136 Atk 120 SpA
Hasty Nature (+Speed, -Defense)
- Counter
- Explosion
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
-----
CounterSash Lead Gengar actually works well now. if i predict right, i can get about two kills a game right off the bat, and hypnosis another. He usually dies in the first few turns, either: after a counter, to misprdeiction, or by Explosion. I am willing to sacrifice this guy with Explosion to allow a safe switch in for the next guy, although i try to avoid it.

New Addition

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA 236 Spd, 20 HP
Modest Nature (+ Special Attack -Attack)
- Fire Blast
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
-----
Scarf Heatran. Outspeeds and OHKOs any garchomp except scarf ones. Fire blast to hit hard, Earth POwer for hitting any Flash Fires trying to switch in and catch a quick boost. Also gives me a fire resist that i need. Explosion if i predict either a blissey, or if my next guy needs a free switch in.

Lucario (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 SpA 252 Spd 4 Hp
Modest Nature (+ Special Attack -Attack)
- Aura Sphere
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
-----
Specs Lucario is fun to use. Modest for power. Not much else to say. Ive noticed most Blisseys run some Special Defense now so Aura Sphere doesnt 2HKO, so im thinking of switching it for Close Combat, and bluffing a SD set to draw out gliscor and HP Ice it the next time i bring this guy in. although forretress gets OHKOed by Aura Sphere now, so im not sure.
opinions much appreciated.

Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk 196 Spd 60 HP
Adamant Nature (+ Attack -Special Attack)
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Pursuit
-----
Standard Scarf Staraptor Set, with pursuit over Quick Attack. However, i havent seen much use of it since it allows for many free switchins from tyranitars and heatrans so i will change it to quick attack unless someone here has either a better move for the last slot, or an awesome argument for why i should keep it.

Shaymin @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA 252 Spd 4 HP
Timid Nature (+Speed -Attack)
- Seed Flare
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
-----
Yeah, its a Specs Shaymin. Its been a while since it was popular, meaning not a lot of people expect it, meaning it can run through a lot of teams, or at least cripple them. Although HP Ice never sees any use, and a common switch in to this guy is heatran, so i might switch it for HP ground. however, i find this guy "counters" DDos somewhat effectively, or at least better than anyone else, so HP Electric is also enticing to me. Help needed on this decision.

Deoxys-e @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 SpA 160 Atk 108 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Speed -Defense)
-Superpower
-Shadowball
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-----
The best endgame sweeper ever. Expert belt so they cant stall out if i was holding life orb, Superpower is only for Weavile and Tyranitar. Shadowball over Psychic since i have other counters for heracross and this gives me coverage against both psychics and ghosts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, thats my team that has betted me a decent (remember my definiton of decent) win rate, although i do have some extra comments.
-- Heatran, if you didnt notice, has no safe switch ins. scarf heatrans are the bane to this team, and i am forced to get by them with revenge killing and lucarios vacuum wave.
For this reason, i am thinking of changing nidoking for a fire resist, but have none in mind. i am entertaning the idea of scarf relicanth though.

DD Gyarados. if he gets faster than my deoxys, then i am fucked. OHKOs my entire team, and i have no way to revenge him either. hes the one reason i am thinking of putting HP Electric on Shaymin, but if it has Ice fang, its gg then and there.

There are to many Choice users on your team so you'll be stuck on some moves if you have to really predict what they send in next or spikes or stealthrocks will kill you.

Blissey loves you unless you reveal Deoxys early and/or get hax on Shaymin's Seed Flare, and you have a pretty large Ice weakness.
As you've pointed out, (DD) Gyarados has a fun time too. Put HP Electric on Lucario or Shaymin or it will wall everything except Deoxys.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
You should really try leading with a CB Staraptor, that thing hits so very hard. Quick Attack should be over Pursuit, because there isn't any lead pokemon that you should be pursuiting, unless it's Gengar, but it's faster than you. Honestly, you have a full team made out of, well nothing. You really need some synregy in this team. To solve your Gyarados and Heatran weak, a good pokemon would be Vaporeon, counters Gyarados, Heatran, MixApe, and since this team is full of sweepers, it can offer Wish Support for your team. Shamymin can be replaced, and remember that HP Electric is needed.

Honestly I don't know what kind of team you want, offensive, balanced, like I said you just put some random shit together. You should just really go ScarfGar, so many people try to use a "CounterSash" w/e is called, but you don't seem to realize that there is just too much Sandstorm to have a set like that, which is pretty much a Suicide set. If you want to keep Nidoking, I would just go a Choice Band set, becuase you really lack the physical attack, or go SD set on Lucario, and Choice Specs / Scarf on Nidoking.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this is the first time I have seen that is walled by Ubers Scizor (with the exception of Scarf Staraptor but Staraptor really isn't going to be coming in too much...)

Here's an idea if you're worried about Heatran - replace Nidoking with Scarf Heatran. IMO it does a much better job revenge killing particularly because of it's awesome SpA. Heatran can also take a Deoxys Superpower - and considering so many Deoxys S runs max speed now with Shadowball Heatran can be a very good insurance against it.

I really don't like having so many choice scarfers ESPECIALLY if you have Deoxys E on your team. Staraptor just doesn't hit hard enough especially with choice scarf. Let's take advantage of the fact that Gliscor usually switches into Lucario - and run something like a Dragon Dance Mixmence so you don't get ripped to shreds by enemy SD Lucario and Heracross to patch it up.

There are to many Choice users on your team so you'll be stuck on some moves if you have to really predict what they send in next or spikes or stealthrocks will kill you.
okay, so what do you propose i do about this?

Blissey loves you unless you reveal Deoxys early and/or get hax on Shaymin's Seed Flare, and you have a pretty large Ice weakness.
As you've pointed out, (DD) Gyarados has a fun time too. Put HP Electric on Lucario or Shaymin or it will wall everything except Deoxys.
again, what do you propose i do about this?

You should really try leading with a CB Staraptor, that thing hits so very hard. Quick Attack should be over Pursuit, because there isn't any lead pokemon that you should be pursuiting, unless it's Gengar, but it's faster than you. Honestly, you have a full team made out of, well nothing. You really need some synregy in this team. To solve your Gyarados and Heatran weak, a good pokemon would be Vaporeon, counters Gyarados, Heatran, MixApe, and since this team is full of sweepers, it can offer Wish Support for your team. Shamymin can be replaced, and remember that HP Electric is needed.

Honestly I don't know what kind of team you want, offensive, balanced, like I said you just put some random shit together. You should just really go ScarfGar, so many people try to use a "CounterSash" w/e is called, but you don't seem to realize that there is just too much Sandstorm to have a set like that, which is pretty much a Suicide set. If you want to keep Nidoking, I would just go a Choice Band set, becuase you really lack the physical attack, or go SD set on Lucario, and Choice Specs / Scarf on Nidoking.
i just tried out the band staraptor set as a lead, and i have to say, i like it but it didnt seem as effective as CounterSash Gengar. Although i did replace pursuit since it apparently doesnt even OHKO gengar if hes not switching out. also, gengar isnt supposed to live longer than the first few turns. i havent actually seen any tyranitar leads either, although if they do rise in useage, i will switch to band staraptor.
the kind of team i want, or am aiming for is a team that doesnt let up on the opponent. it doesnt allow anything more than one turn of setup, because everyone on my team can hit hard and fast without setup. it basically doesnt allow the other team to set up, and has them focus on countering my team.

Wow, this is the first time I have seen that is walled by Ubers Scizor (with the exception of Scarf Staraptor but Staraptor really isn't going to be coming in too much...)

Here's an idea if you're worried about Heatran - replace Nidoking with Scarf Heatran. IMO it does a much better job revenge killing particularly because of it's awesome SpA. Heatran can also take a Deoxys Superpower - and considering so many Deoxys S runs max speed now with Shadowball Heatran can be a very good insurance against it.

I really don't like having so many choice scarfers ESPECIALLY if you have Deoxys E on your team. Staraptor just doesn't hit hard enough especially with choice scarf. Let's take advantage of the fact that Gliscor usually switches into Lucario - and run something like a Dragon Dance Mixmence so you don't get ripped to shreds by enemy SD Lucario and Heracross to patch it up.
yeah, im considering switching Nidokings Thunderbolt for Flamethrower since i have no fire moves now.

i also just tested out running scarf heatran over nidoking, and it worked really well. salamence didnt seem to fit with the team, and being weak to SR didnt help it too much either. it didnt get too many chances to set up.

so far, the only thing nidoking has over heatran is the ability to absorb toxic spikes. however, i have seen only one team try to set up TS, and he got swiftly killed by lucario, so im probably going to switch him for heatran.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)