The word “Retard”

most of the usage of the word i see nowaways deals with cars, in "retarding the timing" or science "the _____ growth was retarded." now that i've grown up, the people i'm around do not use it as an insult as it is quite infantile. people need to be more creative with their insults.

it's not even medically correct usage anymore so that's out the window

I think we can do without some words on Smogon. They have a meaning, I don't see how thet have any bearing with a dude who is playing with me halfway around the world. We can do without.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I agree with Gamugael when they say people are too sensitive. If someone clearly meant to insult then, sure, you have a right to be offended... Even if that is exactly what the offender intended. Hurt feelings aren't nice but they are much more easily remedied than actual pain and torment so there is that. Dont like what some one has to say just don't listen. Let people say what they want and let them also deal with the consequences they bring about. People absolutely require the freedom to make mistakes and without that freedom to make your own mistakes people simply cease to learn and progess. Without freedom to make mistakes that do come with consequences we stagnate as a civilization.

I find that people who intentionally try to hurt others are usually themselves hurting inside, so that is kind of important when gauging a situation and coming up with a proper reaction. We all have flaws and expecting a certain level of respect without reciprocating the same is insanity. I don't think its possible for any one person to be inherently good or bad...these are things we learn. Somebody never taught those foul mouths respect and I would bet money that it wouldn't be very difficult to knock some sense into em.

As I have more of a personal kind of attachment to this word than a lot of people, this thread poses somewhat of an interesting question to me. This is a somewhat lengthy post, and yeah I realize I type a lot, don't need to tell me that twice. Anyways, hopefully at least someone will enjoy reading this... maybe.

To start off with my own personal life, the only mental illness I really have is being mildly autistic. This is pretty mild and never really affected my life in any significant way outside of being unable to actually speak on my own until I was 5, but I feel that it needs to be mentioned here anyways. My little brother, on the other hand, has a much more severe case of autism and has been identified as being mentally retarded. He is currently a sophomore in high school and will be 16 on May 21st, for those who are curious. Anyways, this has had a profound affect on him, both in the eye of the public and at home. At his high school, he gets bullied a lot due to the way he acts there. Because of this, he often finds it difficult to make any new friends beyond the small group that he has and has a lot of difficulty coping with it by himself. I actually had no idea that he even got bullied as much as he did until recently when something happened with him that, for his privacy's sake, I will not talk about. All that really needs to be said is he ended up getting into a lot of trouble and got suspended for it. It was actually brought to my attention by my parents that he was even getting bullied in the first place through this said event. He also gets a lot of comments that he is retarded since he cannot do a lot of very basic things on his own without being told how, nor does he understand why it's important to do these basic daily tasks no matter how much it's explained to him. He also cannot think for himself a lot of the time and, as a result, resorts to simply asking me to help him with the most basic of homework assignments and asking for others' opinions so he can follow the more popular opinion in an attempt to fit in. This makes it difficult for him to do good overall on class tests or with standardized testing.

More personal experience aside, I'm sort of mixed, both on my usage of the word and what I think about people when they use the word themselves as well as when I think it's appropriate vs not appropriate to use. In terms of my usage of the word, I don't seriously use it as a means of insulting people nor do I use it at all out in public. However, in a casual setting, either with my family or with friends, this is completely different. With my family, a lot of my usage of retard just comes down to me saying that something is "retarded" because it just seems stupid to me. We don't take the word in a serious manner when casually talking because it's just used so much between all of us that we're just used to it at this point. The same thing pretty much applies with friends, more so with friends that I've known for a long time because I know that they can take and accept the fact that I'm always joking around when I just casually throw the word "retard" out with them. The other use I really have with the word is when I'm talking with my parents about my little brother, since I find it better to just be more formal about that as technically he is classified as "retarded". I know people will still likely flame me, but there's a difference between secretly calling my brother retarded insultingly behind his back just to do it (which I can assure you I'm not doing) and bringing up my brother's mental retardation to my parents. Regardless of what you think of that, that just about sums up my usage of the word. As for when I think it's more appropriate to say vs not appropriate, I think it's more appropriate to use in a casual setting where people know you're just joking around, i.e. with friends or maybe family. I also think it's appropriate to bring up the word in the context of someone who is actually classified as such, such as the case with my little brother. However, there's a fine line to cross when using the word in my opinion, and that's when you start to actually use it in a seriously insulting manner to the point where you actually mean to cause someone harm or hurt with the word. I also don't think it's exactly appropriate to mention it out in public no matter what the circumstance is. If you really think something is retarded, keep it to yourself, no one actually cares out in public, or at least I don't care enough.

Anyways, I've talked quite a lot and I think this is way more than enough for people to read, so although I'd like to say more, I think this is fairly lengthy enough on its own and there's no point for me to drone on further on the subject. However, do not ask me for anything else regarding my little brother, as for his sake, I rather keep everything else about him classified. To end it off, I already feel the comments that I'm a douchebag for using retard in such a casual way with the way my little brother has been treated from a mile away. Sure, you can argue that, but my counterargument is that we're not ever insulting him for it. Infact, we're all helping him make it through his rough times in my family, we just happen to use the word more casually compared to others and we don't take it so seriously like some others do. However, this doesn't mean that I don't understand why someone may get insulted by others using it, especially in my situation, I simply can't empathize with others like that in the same way.

Ooh, something I've wanted to share my two cents on for a long time.

Personally, the individual words themselves don't bother me; it's all about intent. In terms of meaning, retarted and stupid can be used interchangeably (unless you're actually using retarted in the medical terminology, like mentally retarted). The difference with these words, however, is, because of how our society views them, one has a stronger impact than the other. I'm someone who's completely alright with any word being used (I tend to go by the "all of it's ok or none of it's ok mentality"), but I do not make the choice for others for how they view it. Because of this, I tend not to use words that have these heavy ties to them unless it's in an environment where people 1) know I'm joking 2) are ok with dark humor, and 3) are people I've known for a good while. If one of these is not met, I refrain from using the word. For the word retarted, I've rarely used it as I just don't see a reason to. It doesn't really bother me when it's thrown around or even at me, but I've also never been diagnosed with autism or similar types of mental illnesses, so it has no real personal ties to me.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll use almost any word when just shit talking with friends, I swear a lot (is retard/retarded even considered swearing?) and I'm not gonna apologize for that. The social situation is a huge determining factor of whether or not it is appropriate to use specific words. e.g If I'm hanging out with friends and say "Oh my god you fucking retard" when someone does something stupid, nobody would bat an eyelid. Say that to someone you hardly know or a stranger, or in a different environment and the reaction is (justifiably) totally different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)