The Well #74: GatoDelFuego

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer." The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down, "Why not on Tuesday?" A voice from in the well shouts back, "Because on Tuesday, it's your day in the well."

Well, well, well.....

So a bit of background. I feel like I've told this story more and more in the past few years. Maybe that's how it feels to be a boomer? But my first introduction to Pokemon was at the age of 4 when I saw somebody battling a pidgey in Pokemon red in day care. I thought the combat mechanics were SICK!!! and got the game myself. I stumbled around for so long in mt moon, that I thought the entire point of the game was to just beat brock over and over. Thanks to strategy guide books I bought from the store, I learned how to navigate through Pokemon. This was peak pokemania in America--anime, card game, movies, video game, toys, the lot. And it was causing quite a commotion. But I loved Pokemon even more than my friends, and I stayed loyal to the franchise until DPP came out in 2007.

I played it with my friends, until one summer day bored on YouTube I searched "epic Pokemon battle" and started dipping my toes into competitive pokemon on YouTube. The early days of narrated pokemon battles over Wifi gave way to irc chats (purplesurge!) and Pokemon clans, which all roads lead to smogon and battle simulators eventually. Said irc chats are where the name comes from. In high school spanish class, a friend of mine had a joke where they said they were "el gato del fuego". I understood it meant cat of fire, but I wasn't actually in the Spanish class. I was in the chemistry class where it was joked about! So when I had to chose a username, I thought...hmm, this is a nice inside joke that only I will get! And it was solidified by searching "gatodelfuego" on google images and getting this sweet 2005 era avatar that has persisted. Better user ID than just my name with "xx1999" afterwards. Or I hear these days, just a 4 letter word is common practice.

So, after joining smogon, I thought I was still pretty good shit at mons and posted all kinds of cringe in suspect test threads and other ventures. I was so incredibly immature as somebody who was fairly new to "internet culture", even though I was 18 at the time (!) and just starting college. I decided to try my hand at editing work for the illustrious GP team. Eventually becoming an Official editor, it would be years of grinding until I finally begged to be the leader of the GP team (with the help of a coordinated write-in campaign by my social group at the time). The years kept coming, the analyses kept getting written, and a new generation of gp members were coming into existence thanks to the incredible community in the GP discord. I've gone through a lot of social groups on smogon, and it's really incredible how close I am with so many of them. So, a few years back, I finally retired from official smogon duties and switched to a pure socialization kind of user. It's quite nice, more people should try it. I've never felt any kind of burn out on the website, because I'm genuinely glad to be here!

In real life, I live in Seattle, where I work as an aerospace engineer. I'm super lucky to have a great support system of friends around me, on smogon and outside of it. I've recently gotten into competitive smash bros, among other games, to add to my collection of other hobbies (counter strike and pinball). Basically. I'm what you'd consider your average late 20s west coast guy!

It's funny to post a well after so many years on the website, lmao. When the smog was around, I always loved reading the interviews with big name users to talk about themselves. I always wanted to be famous enough to have one of my own...But, by the time I was important enough on smogon, the practice had ended. Nowadays, I'm not important enough. Tons of revamped wells and I always thought....hmm...maybe I'm COOL enough to post one of these threads myself? And....here we are.

So ask away!

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
why is bayonetta 2 better than bayonetta 1
It isn't. But....she has short hair...
+_34b8201cda1013b2b39fbc473ccac33f.jpg

what's the worst thing about putting the cat out at night? for me, it's setting it on fire again the next day.
He can sleep inside, he can keep you warm :(
how did you get into pissing money up the wall investing
I actually just found in interesting, a lot of work colleagues got into it and I decided to start right before the huge market crash at the start of covid which really warped perceptions. It's been a unique experience.
do you not think it's a little bit cruel to set a gato on fuego?
It's not as if you just take a random cat. The cat is _made_ of fire. It's a benevolent cat of flame. It IS fire.
should i still support you for your grammatical contributions?
Please do, the link is in my signature and the money is always appreciated
charge them or befriend them?
Goblins can be friends sometimes!
how did you avoid burnout all those years?

i ask earnestly, cuz my ass loved (and still loves) this site and burned out multiple times lol
I've never been one to shy away from just not doing things and being completely honest about intentions. I don't often put off "work" to do, if I say I can do something I always just got it done. On the flip side, if I don't enjoy things I just cease all involvement. I enjoyed GP but never bit off more than I can chew. Beyond that, I honestly don't have enough experience in what I think you're referring to. But, my professional opinion on time management is that people should put themselves first. If your personal passion is to manage smogon, then it's healthy to be involved. If that isn't the passion, then chill more often. This site has stressed me out at times but I have never let it boil over too hard. Somebody can love the community and not love being involved with its structure and politics. As in, you don't HAVE to be deeply involved with any community here to still be a loyal member. Balance is everything

Would it be cruel to give water to a gato del fuego?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you say you enjoy your job and why?

What would you say about your favorite pokemon makes it your favorite?

What is your least favorite pokemon (if you have any)? What about that pokemon makes it your least favorite?

Haven't been here in a while, so I might start small.

GatoDelFuego

Would you fuck a ghost?
Absolutely. And I don't understand why anybody would think otherwise. Think of the possibilities? I'm not going around hunting for spiritual booty (currently attached to the ol ball and chain, if you get what I mean?), but if I were single and met a nice phantom in a bar, why not? To me, the question is no different to "would you fuck a human"
thoughts on incineroar smoking a fat blunt? literally a gato del fuego
I'm pro incineroar but anti drug. It adds up to a solid 7.5 out of 10. More power to them though, I support ending the lockup of Pokemon who are blazin it in peace.
describe your perfect date
Friday, September 25th, 2009. It's the perfect time between summer, back to school energy, labor day, my birthday, halloween, and end of year festivities. I pass all my 2nd month of school tests, get on the bus and listen to the guitar hero 3 soundtrack with my friend on his ipod shuffle as I rush to complete my math homework so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend. We get off the bus and head to my house. It's 62 degrees, sunny outside and windy. Cold enough to need a light jacket but still bright enough to wear sunglasses. We get home, head to the basement to play super smash bros brawl and yugioh (I have an elemental hero deck vs his insect archetype). Life is good
have you considered moving to los angeles and joining the pit crew of rupaul's drag race as a side gig?
I shall never leave the heaven that is cascadia of my own free will. Besides, no need to be on the crew when I can be the star of the show.

GatoDelFuego

The monocolor top really ruins the dynamics of the image overall. It's rather noisy. I would recommend a flower pattern dress next time.
What would you say about your favorite pokemon makes it your favorite?
My favorite is galvantula. I love that it's a unique type (electric bug!), I love electric Pokemon, and I hate spiders. I love that galvantula is a cartoonish spider with a friendly, goofy face, that begs for you to give it a lovely cuddle and scratch its pediphalps. Realistic drawings of the Pokemon turn it into nightmare fuel.
What is your least favorite pokemon (if you have any)? What about that pokemon makes it your least favorite?
Bonsly. It offers absolutely no new mechanic in its design (we already had baby Pokemon), it is literally just a small sudowudoo (forgettable Pokemon), it adds nothing to the game, it's a pain to get, why does it exist. What's its deal?
Would it be cruel to give water to a gato del fuego?
Nothing wrong with that at all. Just because it has fire on the outside doesn't mean it never gets thirsty.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you say you enjoy your job and why?
an easy ten. Tho perhaps a 9 in overall satisfaction with the corporate lifestyle and associated stress. I've dreamed of aircraft design from a young age, I love planes, I went to school for this, I had bad experiences at internships where I wasn't working on anything interesting. I've seen the boring side of things and have finally made it into the interesting parts of the company, so I know exactly how good I have it.

What's the coolest project you've worked on for your job?
My job is effectively to work with a team of aircraft engineers to study prototype designs. My specialization is in attending wind tunnel tests, and gathering data to calculate how much structural design needs to be done on aircraft so they don't break apart. Much of what I work on...I really can't say! But later this year, I'll be attending a large flight test program where me and other engineers are on a full size airplane doing maneuvers to make sure all our data is correct. This involves doing things like 0g and 2g flight, so think the nasa training videos where everybody is weightless. I'm guessing this will be the coolest thing I'll do for a long time, until I get to do it again but on the next prototype aircraft that I'll have been involved with for the entire design process.
are there any super niche aspects of plane design that specifically attract u (even more so than most of yr colleagues) and if so porque
Strangely enough, I don't really think so, no. A lot of the people I work with have very similar interests and aircraft knowledge as myself, which makes me a lot less standout. I'm not enough of a researcher or maverick of a certain idea to make it "my own" over other parts when it comes to aerodynamics. Designing planes for The Corporation is interesting because it's not about just making the best plane, you have to make it meet the best business case, lots of airline customers want something different, etc. All a balancing act. There's plenty of physics quirks that interest me more than others (my college thesis was on using shark scale inspired designs to reduce drag on surfaces that's caused micrometers away from the surface, which is extremely fascinating), but I'm not really in the career that they come up every day.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Friday, September 25th, 2009. It's the perfect time between summer, back to school energy, labor day, my birthday, halloween, and end of year festivities. I pass all my 2nd month of school tests, get on the bus and listen to the guitar hero 3 soundtrack with my friend on his ipod shuffle as I rush to complete my math homework so I can enjoy the rest of the weekend. We get off the bus and head to my house. It's 62 degrees, sunny outside and windy. Cold enough to need a light jacket but still bright enough to wear sunglasses. We get home, head to the basement to play super smash bros brawl and yugioh (I have an elemental hero deck vs his insect archetype). Life is good
for a second i thought you were describing your first date with your wife but now i realize that this is just a really good joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)