The Underdog Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
~Hosted by me and Raseri~

Introduction:

The Underdog Challenge—like its OU counterpart, The Dark Horse Project—is a challenge tailored to promote diversity in the tier. While some may argue that NU is already extremely varied, there are some Pokemon that are underrated or undiscovered. This challenge aims to change that.

Rules:

• Your Underdog Pokemon usage percent has to be 2% or less. (August usage stats)
  • Two Pokemon on your team have to be Underdog Pokemon. The rest of your teammates can be Pokemon found above 2%
  • Your sign-up post must include both your alt name and the Pokemon you plan on using. Don't be afraid to theorymon!
  • No ladder cheating!
  • In order to qualify for the Hall of Fame, your alt must reach at least 1750 points on Pokemon Showdown!'s ladder; more details are in the "Hall of Fame" section below.
  • Upon qualifying for the Hall of Fame you must make a post in this thread with a screenshot of your ladder ranking, as well as the sets of the Underdogs you used. Don't be afraid to discuss them!
  • Sweet Potatoes are encouraged to do more than just post what they use. They are encouraged to talk about the Pokemon that they and other participants are using, such as their uses and niches or why they are using them. Discuss!

Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Underdog Pokemon currently working with:
Current Ladder Ranking:

Discussion:

Not only does this challenge strive to find new and underutilized Pokemon, it also serves as a discussion thread. Be sure to reason about everything from what Pokemon you are utilizing to what sets their teammates are using!

• What Underdog Pokemon you are using
  • What Pokemon you are pairing them with, as well as cores they're effective in.
  • The state of the NU metagame and how to build teams in it.
  • What Pokemon you used that worked, as well as ones that didn't.
  • Feel free to ask questions about how to teambuild if you are struggling

Hall of Fame:

Platinum: 6 Underdog Pokemon @ 1950 points

Gold: (1950)
FLCL:

New Breed:

Silver: (1850)
Django:

Sweet Jesus:

Bronze: (1750)
mrite:

breh:

WhiteDMist:

Demist:

KingQuag:

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rules:

• Your Underdog Pokemon usage percent has to be 3.41% or less. (August usage stats)
  • Two Pokemon on your team have to be Underdog Pokemon. The rest of your teammates can be Pokemon found above 2%
So is it 2% or 3.41%??

Pokemon Showdown! Username: OneSevenTwo
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Golduck, Klang
Current Ladder Ranking: Not ranked.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Ditto 1
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Magmar, Zweilous
Current Ladder :

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I suppose I could join
Pokemon Showdown! Username: FiftyOne
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Audino (below 3.41%), Shuckle (below 2%), Banette (below 2%), Whirlipede (below 2%)
Current Ladder Ranking: Unranked

I'll try it ! so IN

Pokemon Showdown! Username: UnDewil

Underdog Pokemon currently working with:

| 103 | Beheeyem | 1251 | 1.729% | 997 | 1.665% |

With his new ability, he's a pokémon that i've always wish to use, and now i think it's the time to try ! Analytic paired with awesome SpA, decent bulk and stupid speed, is a god-send and i love slow powerful mons, the real test is to guess if is better Recover or Nasty Plot in the last Move slot. The Coverage moves are probably Psyshock|Psychic/Signal Beam/HP Groud like Musharna and others psychic-type.

| 106 | Klang | 1181 | 1.632% | 941 | 1.572% |

Second pokemon that i wish to use but never have the ocasion. Sounds pretty strong and bulky, i've to choose good teammates to cover his weakness. I think that a Spike-stacking team is the best for those two mons.

Current Ladder Ranking: 0

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Hudson Mohawke
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Huntail and Murkrow
Current Ladder Ranking: ~

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Pokemon Showdown! Username: SHAFT
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Heatmor and Klang
Current Ladder Ranking: silver

Meltra

formerly Himanattsu
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Himanattsu
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Delcatty and Octillery

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Ralph
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Combusken and Duosion
:D

Pokemon Showdown! Username: grapes!
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Vileplume and Zweilous

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've finished my work experience! Which means I now have time for Pokemon again. Count me in, will update with my details in a sec once I get a team together.

Also, woot at Articuno getting awesome usage. Guess I'll have to pick something else.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: erisiawhat
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Magmar
Current Ladder Ranking: 1761

The awkward moment when I realise I've been laddering with a Gurdurr that doesn't have any EVs. -_-

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
I wasn't sure of which to pick, so I tested them out and now I have the confirmation I'll use those 2 but my alt already has around 1500 ranking. I sware I haven't use any other team with the same alt though:

Pokemon showdown! Username: Jesus shall ram
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Rampardos and zebstrika
Current ranking, around: 1500 (but I started from 0)

EDIT: oh appraently it's dropped to 2 %, I'll find other stuff later

Just reiterating - your Underdog Pokemon must be below 2%. So Pokemon like Zebstrika and Rampardos are not allowed. Feel free to use them on your teams though.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Straw Hat
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Zweilous and Klang
Current Ladder Ranking: None

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Pokemon Showdown! Username: ---
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: ---
Current Ladder Ranking: lol

ok i already had to change my name once because of a trash player haxing me cool
and now to regice and victreebel sucking i hate this
lol did i really face rocky helmet sawk critting two pokemon and burning the last one yeah im dropping out fuck this game

raseri is garbage for editing my post

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Underdawg
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Emolga, Beheeyem, Beartic, Shiftry, Mawile, Murkrow
Current Ladder Ranking: 1370

lfgi

Okay so since only the first person using the Pokemon get into the hall of fame might as well post mine now and take Klang and Golduck off the list..

Peak so far

As most of you know Klang is pretty good at the moment setting up on alot of things, he is pretty weak at +1 but his good bulk with Eviolite often allows him multiple boosts. Being able to set up on the popular Regenerator Core of Amoonguss and Alomomola is a big bonus. Klang appreciates the removal of other Steel types and also Fire types, once they are gone it's pretty easy to find an opportunity to sweep.

The Set
Klang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 Atk / 180 Spd / 78 HP
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return

Golduck is very underrated at the moment, with better Speed and Special Attack than Ludicolo I find it hard to believe that it has under 2% usage. Golduck servers an almost identical role as Ludicolo and is pretty good at his job. Most teams on the ladder are stupidly weak to Rain Dance Ludicolo and the same goes for Golduck. Golduck is great for dealing with the Fire types that Klang despises and overall work well in tandem with each other.

The Set
Golduck @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

Will add more about the rest of the team and how they support these Pokemon after I reach Gold.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Heliasalt
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Bellossom, Simisear
Current Ladder Ranking: Unranked currently

Pokemon Showdown! Username: iglyBUFF
Underdog pokemon currently working with: Mawile, Grumpig

NFE Team is shit.

Mawile and Grumpig are two great pokemon defensively that I have used extensively in the past together.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So go big or go home, right?
FOr the platinum challenge, i will bring

Illumise
Victrebel
Octillery
Shiftry
Magmar
Scraggy
This may take awhile..
Alt: Shuckleking8

Pokemon Showdonw! Username: Cats and Dogs
Underdog pokemon currently working with: Whiscash, SHELMET
Current ladder ranking: ~

Pokemon Showdonw! Username: Rasunderdog
Underdog pokemon currently working with: stunfisk, seadra, duosion, shiftry, machoke, magmar
Current ladder ranking: -26

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Antyi
Underdog Pokemon currently working with: Frillish, Granbull, Wormadam-T, Hypno, Vileplume, Heatmor
Current Ladder Ranking: -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)