The Sun never goes down (OU RMT)

Hi smogon.

This is my first RMT I've ever made, so bear with me please.

I'm pretty new to competetive battling, I've only done it for about 4 and a half months now. Everyone has to be a so-called 'noob' (i don't like using that word for some reason), and oh I was one in the beginning. I lost basicly every match, until I decided to try out this team.

first of all, here is a direct copy for those of you who want to try the team out:
Amaterasu (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 76 SDef /184 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Substitute

Pan (Sawsbuck-Winter) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 68 Def / 188 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Return

Threesome (Dugtrio) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Mithras (Volcarona) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Rest
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz

Windows 3.11 (Porygon2) @ Eviolite (REPLACED)
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt

Bastet (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SAtk / 120 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun

Now, for the detailed stuff:

Amaterasu (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 78 SDef / 184 Spe
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

No sun team in Gen 5 is complete without Ninetales. The set might look gimmicky(and I admit, it is), but it really works well. Fire blast is for main STAB, and it gets boosted in the sun as well. Hidden Power Fighting takes care of Tyranitar and Heatran, and works really well with Substitute (see Benlisted's comment for more). Confuse ray combined with Substitute gives surprising longevity. And Substitute is just a great move overall. EV's and nature are to outspeed Doryuuzu.
EDIT: I've just had a match,(with my old set) and she managed to be on the field for a whopping 24 turns, killing a Vaporeon and Virizion in the process. Note that FB's PP was down when Vaporeon was at about 30% health. My opponent sadly used Wish too late.

Stuff I've used previously on her:

• Balloon: Usually the best item on Ninetales, but really doesn't work well with Substitute, since, even when your sub doesn't break, the balloon does.
  • -Spe nature: Wanted to try it to be slower than opposing Drizzle/Sand Stream pokes, but didn't really work.
  • Will-O-Wisp: Removed it due to all the reason Benlisted posted to use HP Fighting.

Pan (Sawsbuck-Winter) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 68 Def / 188 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Return

my main physical sweeper. In Sun, with chlorophyll, he reaches 578 speed, enough to ouspeed the majority of the metagame. I personally often send it in to force a switch, meaning i can get a (usually) free SD up, boosting it's Attack stat to a massive 656. I chose Life Orb because the loss of HP doesn't really matter since I have Horn Leech. Return is my primary STAB, and Jump Kick is for coverage. I often send him in right at the start of the match/after having send in Ninetales to do some big damage. EV's are to basicly outspeed anything,and have enough bulk to survive some priority attacks

Stuff I've used previously on him:

• Aromatherapy/Horn Leech/Megahorn/Wild Charge. Actually, funny story. The main reason I put Sawsbuck in this team was because of Aromatherapy. It based around a Volcarona sweep, and getting Toxic/Sleep/Paralysation on it was pretty bad. After changing the set around, i find myself sweeping with this thing just as often as with Volcarona.
  • Swords Dance/Horn Leech/Megahorn/Double Edge. Double edge is stupid. Again, I thought i would find myself healing the recoil damage away. But no. Life Orb AND Double Edge was too much. This set was also walled by steels, and that is why I put Jump Kick on it now.

Threesome (Dugtrio) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace

Dugtrio is so useful to my team. Can eliminate opposing Tyranitar after denting them a bit (EQ to max/max Ttar does about 60% iirc, but hell, who uses max HP/max Def Ttar.) Can also revenge heatran, Terrakion (unless it has set up Rock Polish/is some strange Scarf set), Dory in sun and probably some more I forgot at the moment. Earthquake is main STAB, Rock Slide is for flying stuff, Sucker Punch is to take out even faster sweepers at low health, while Aerial Ace is for Virizion and Breloom and stuff like that. Also, I hate to say, but I often lose him due to early overpredictions/bad luck(eg. Balloon Heatran). Has great synergy with Volcarona. It can take out it's main counters quite easily, to make Volcarona's sweep much easier.

Stuff I've used previously on him:

• Shadow Claw: Whenever I see a Bronzong, I just switch in Espeon now :D
  • Scarf: Did little damage, but ousped Dory in Sand and some other stuff. Again, did too little damage to really revenge a lot.

Mithras (Volcarona) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Rest
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz

Pretty much the standard bulky set, except I use Morning Sun instead of Rest. Morning sun heals 67% in sun,meaning I can outstall Garchomp's Outrage and wait for Flame Body to come in. Can set up on many things in sun, believe me (or I am just facing bad opponents all the time:D) Quiver dance is just a great move, while Rest provides the removal of status and lets me get back to 100%. Bug Buzz and Fiery dance are main STABs. Fire Blast actually has 180 base power in sun(270 STAB included), very powerful after a few boosts (and before as well). I think the rest is self-explanatory.

Stuff I've used previously on her:

• ChestoResto: Removes status, but unreliable. Makes me unable to stall out physical attackers

Mamoswine @ Eviolite
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Drop
- Earthquake

Mamoswine is another poke Benlisted recommended me, and I've decided to put it in my team. It is one of the, if not the best dragon revenge killer in the game, and can get up Stealth Rock, which gives me some extra OHKOs on Sawsbuck, and 2HKOs on Ninetales

Used this set since I added him to my team

Bastet (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SAtk / 120 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun

Really unorthodox set, i know. Espeon is basicly here to bounce back any kind of status/hazards etc. Also decided to have a backup Sunny Day user. It's fun to have your opponent think weather is his, when you bring in Esepon and set up Sun again :D.Psyshock and Psychic, that is a difficult question for me to answer. They both have their advantages. Psychic and Fighting have pretty good coverage as well. 252 HP makes it bulky, meaning Morning sun is pretty useful as well.

Used this set since I put Espeon on my team

Pokes I've used previously:

Venusaur(now Sawsbuck): Growth/Leech Seed/Energy Ball/HP Fire. Personally, i think Venusaur is overrated. It worked pretty well(expected it to do better though), but the main reason I switched it out was because I was really in need of a physical sweeper.

Hitmontop(now Espeon): Mach Punch/Rapid Spin/Close Combat/Stone Edge. Worked pretty well also, but I decided to try out Espeon. Both do okay, but not awesomely good.

Claydol(now Espeon): Sunny Day/Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin/Explosion. Claydol offers great resistances, but that is about it really.

Charizard(now Espeon): Flamethrower/Air Slash/Focus Blast/HP Ice (iirc). Was my scarfed guy. You dont want to know how much a STAB, Sun, AND Solar power boosted Flamethrower does to even stuff like (insert special wall who resists fire here)

Porygon2(now Mamoswine): Recover/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Toxic: Bulky as hell, but didn't add much to my team. Replaced him with Mamo (thanks Benlisted for all your advice)

Questions I'd like to be answered:
  • Is there a good poke to put in the last slot? I'm really having trouble finding one.
  • Moonlight or Rest on Volcarona?
  • Should I put an extra attacking move on Ninetales?

Will do threat list later (maybe)

If my descriptions aren't detailed enough, again, this is my 1st RMT. Yes I have read the rules, I'm just very bad at explaining things.

Ehehehe... i remember facing this team. Anyways, after reading this i think that switching dugtrio with a technitop might be beneficial.

Dugtrio is so useful to my team. Can eliminate opposing Tyranitar after denting them a bit (EQ to max/max Ttar does about 60% iirc, but hell, who uses max HP/max Def Ttar.) Can also revenge heatran, Terrakion (unless it has set up Rock Polish/is some strange Scarf set), Dory in sun and probably some more I forgot at the moment.
Technitop handles all of the above with STAB Mach punch, and isn't as frail as dugtrio. The one problem is that t-tar can flee from hitmontop, so if running it you may need to play ninetales a bit more carefully... anyways, try it out, if it doesn't work, you can always change it back.

for a first team, this is really good, so kudos for that. I also really love your use of Dugtrio, and how you don't use all standard sets. I just have two suggestions. One, I would use Rest and Toxic over Confuse Ray and Substitute on Ninetales, with the item Chesto Berry. This gives her LOT of longevity, and lets you cripple bulky waters. Two, I'd go back to the Morning Sun/Moonlight Volcarona set you used earlier. Without a spinner, you have limited quiver dances that you can set up and then rest off, plus Dugtrio coes a great job of getting rid of other weather starters. Oh yeah, and I'd use Aerial ace on Dug. Virizion and Breloom, while not huge threats, can sometimes be annoying, and it's great to be guaranteed to take them out in one go. Nice team

Hey, shame noone's rated this yet. Looks quite a solid team, a few pieces of advice for you though.

On Tales, there is little point using Substitute if you have no way to recover your health outside of Lefties and are not abusing it. Stalling with WoW and Confuse Ray is not something I really see as stalling effectively, so I'd try out one of several things. Sub synergises really well with HP Fight on Tales, for instance. It lets her Burn things safely (instead of perhaps missing as CBTar switches in and proceeds to Pursuit you out, or ScarfTar SEs you into oblivion), which is one boon, but also lets you singlehandely kill your two biggest counters - Heatran and Tyranitar. After the initial Burn and switchout for TTar, the next time you come in you can proceed to spam HP Fight and probably 2HKO TTar factoring in Burn damage. Sub then 3 HP Fights also kills Heatran whilst it fails to kill you thanks to Sub and Lefties recovery. In terms of EVs, you almost certainly want the utility of being able to revenge Excadrill, who stomps your entire team otherwise if it sets up. 184Spe with HP Fight allows this with Timid. Also, use 248HP as this lets you switch into SR one more time (and get 5 Subs with Lefties recovery).

Alternately, a set with Toxic and/or ChestoRest could help you harass bulky waters much more and survive much longer in the face of residual damage, since Dugtrio can help with the two things HP Fight counters.

Sawsbuck
looks okay, you don't need all that speed though so use around 188 to beat literally everything but RPed Jolly Terrakion and Landorus in Sun (more if you want to speed creep). The rest can go in Def to maximise healing with Horn Leech and reduce priority damage, or in HP If you use D-E. The main reason I bring this up is that it OHKOs Latios with SR damage, and given that I'm going to be recommending you use a SR setter to help Tales out with HP Fight this is something very much worth considering.

Volc looks fine, but consider Fire Blast>Fiery Dance. This set has the capability to easily grab 2-4 boosts, and at that level Fiery Dance is worthless. Fire Blast lets you come in and fire off a nuke-esque attack if you don't intend to boost, rather than a considerably weaker Fiery Dance.

Now, Porygon2 seems to add virtually nothing to your team, it doesn't synergise well or provide any meaningful support. I'd strongly recommend replacing it, and there are a few things I'd look for. Your team would appreciate SR an absolute ton, it helps prevent things stalling Sawsbuck out, and facilitates a ton of OHKOs. Heal Bell or Aromatherapy would be nice seeing as you have a status weakness in general, but with MM Espy it's not essential. A Jirachi could work well, with SR and perhaps a Wish Support set to help heal up Sawsbuck. Mamoswine may help in a more offensive capacity, dealing with Dragons who you at present have no easy way to take out as well as providing SR support and insurance against the Genies and other sweepers. Both give some help against Rain too; Jirachi counters with a strong Thunderbolt and Wishes off damage, and Mamoswine can easily revenge the Genies, Dragonite, and deal with Toxicroak reasonably together with Dugtrio.

On Espy I'd think about Psychic over Psyshock, it helps with Conkeldurr much more, but otherwise it looks okay. Perhaps BP or another support move over Sunny Day if you use the more survivable ChestoRest Tales to escape from TTar.

Hope this helps.

Hey Chieliee, nice team. I just have a minor suggestion.

You may want to consider adding something with Flash Fire. I personally use

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Close Combat
- Morning Sun

It's fantastic as a wall breaker with Fire + Fighting coverage and Extremespeed lets it revenge many weakened threats. Morning Sun offsets the massive amounts of residual damage. On the other hand, you could use a CB set with Crunch for Jellicent. It has greater offensive presence, but predicting incorrectly is painful if your opponent has SR.

I hope this helped, good luck.

Now, Porygon2 seems to add virtually nothing to your team, it doesn't synergise well or provide any meaningful support. (etc.)
Putting Mamoswine on looks like a good idea, but wouldn't that make my team have too little walls?

Also, Should I put Icicle Drop on it, or is it redundant?

Thinking of a set like this:

Mamo @ Lefties/Life Orb
Thick Fat
Jolly
252 Spe 252 Atk 4 HP (or should I go more defensive?)
Stealth Rock
Ice Shard
Stone Edge/Earthquake/Icicle Drop

Putting Mamoswine on looks like a good idea, but wouldn't that make my team have too little walls?

Also, Should I put Icicle Drop on it, or is it redundant?

Thinking of a set like this:

Mamo @ Lefties/Life Orb
Thick Fat
Jolly
252 Spe 252 Atk 4 HP (or should I go more defensive?)
Stealth Rock
Ice Shard
Sun really doesn't need walls if it can keep on the offensive pressure well enough. My team for instance has a defensive Tales and Forretress as support more than walls, relying on resists and immunities to setup sweeps.

SE seems less useful than a STAB Ice move since their coverage overlaps, use Icicle Spear, I think it on average hits for more damage than Drop and can also break Subs, which is nice.

Just faced a rain team, and without Porygon2, it is basicly impossible for me to win against those. Sawsbuck dies to Ice attacks. I'm thinking of putting a poke in my team who can lure Politoed and then fire a Thunder(bolt) in it's face.
EDIT: Would Magmortar maybe be a good idea? (Focus Blast/Thunderbolt/Solar Beam/Overheat or Fire Blast)?

Also have been thinking about the new Event Victini. Has Fusion Bolt.... But I guess there's not many players who switch Politoed in on Victini, right?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a nitpick, why does Mamoswine have Eviolite? Change it to Leftovers, or Life Orb, or even Choice Band. Or were you using Pilowswine instead?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Thick fat mamoswine can use niether ice shard nor stealth rock sadly.

Personally, I would go with Icicle spear over Icicle drop. I currently use a scarfed adamant mamoswine and it serves to kill Subchomp and the even more annoying sublatias. Upon three hits, I believe its stronger than icicle crash too (and has 100% accuracy).

@ above: Sorry, editing mistake. Porygon2 was there earlier, forgot to change the item

EDIT: Decided to make my Ninetales a NP one with Energy ball, just to lure out Politoed. Changed HP Figting into HP Ground:

EDIT2: Changed it back after having tested it and having decided it totally doesn't fit in my team

Just a little nitpick, but reading through your team was a bit confusing because the sets aren't edited and/or are oddly signposted. I'd suggest updating the sets a bit because the explanations mismatch the actual moves. The team looks really solid, but I'm still a little confused so I won't rate something I'm unsure of. Good luck with it, regardless! ^_^

Having looked at the other comments, this team seems very safe. The espeon set caught my eye and I rather like it. Magic Bounce helps it out so much, can almost guarantee SD to be set back if it goes down/ Ninetails gets KO'd.

Say maybe wish on the Espeon to provide more support for the rest of your team maybe?

Having looked at the other comments, this team seems very safe. The espeon set caught my eye and I rather like it. Magic Bounce helps it out so much, can almost guarantee SD to be set back if it goes down/ Ninetails gets KO'd.

Say maybe wish on the Espeon to provide more support for the rest of your team maybe?
Sadly since DW Eevee isn't released Wish is illegal on MB Espeon (egg move). Just as Baton Pass is illegal on Chlorophyll Leafeon, scuppering my plans for an epic Arcanine sweep..

Eviolite on Mamoswine????? That would be god if it worked, but sadly, it does nothing for the wooley mammoth. Lefties would be better

Agreeing with above. Was that a typo or what? Also, you keep contradicting yourself in the Volcarona explanation. I can't tell if it has Rest, Morning Sun, Moonlight, Fiery Dance, or Fire Blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)