The Real AV (RU Stall)

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Since ORAS came out I always wanted to try out Stall in RU and after trying out 30 different teams and 50 different pokemon I finally created a solid RU team that I'm sharing with you.

This was the first version of the team and it worked pretty solid, but still struggled with things like Moltres and SD Pangoro.

The last tier shift removed Mega Sharpedo, which was a huge threat for stall and gave Quagsire, which really helps stall

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Quagsire is an awesome addition to RU stall as it helps stall defeating things like SD Pangoro, Fletchinder, Drapion, Cobalion, Slurpuff and Doublade. It counters pretty much the same things as Doublade did, but it does it much more reliable because it doesn't require Resttalk and doesn't care if the opponent keeps setting up SD's. Just the standard Quagsire set but it works good

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Toxic
- Foresight / Rest

Hitmontop is the second pokemon in the physical defensive slot. Quagsire + Hitmontop can beat Pangoro, where Quagsire handles the SD sets and hitmontop beats banded sets. Close Combat and Rapid Spin are obvious choices. Uninvested Close Combat still does much damage and Rapid Spin is great for hazards control. Toxic is for pokemon that keep switching into Hitmontop like Gligar and Whimsicott. Foresight / Rest is optional. I often go for Rest to keep Hitmontop healthy the whole match which is really necessary to not get beaten by Pangoro and Escavalier. Its defensive typing makes it pretty difficult to switch in and receive wishes so it is nice if you can just stay in and Rest yourself and heal it with Aromatherapy.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Aromatisse is my cleric and a second switchin for banded Pangoro (if Hitmontop is at low health) It's also my most reliable switchin for Hitmonlee. Aromatisse used to be my most useful pokemon when I was still using Mantine because it heals sleeps from Mantine and Hitmontop and giving Wish support to Bronzong, Escavalier and Hitmontop. Nothing special about the set.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Toxic

When building a stall team I knew I had to be prepared for Dragalge, Mega Sceptile and Mega Pidgeot. With HP Fire being very popular on Dragalge and Mega Sceptile and Mega Pidgeot always running Heat Wave, Bronzong with Levitate is only a shaky answer to it. With Heatproof, Bronzong counters Mega Sceptile, Dragalge and Mega Pidgeot, and was my safest switchin to Moltres when I still used Mantine. Bronzong is my first check to Meloetta and Mega Abomasnow. Iron Head can be chosen instead of Gyro Ball because Gyro Ball's PP sucks and also lacks power against slower stuff.

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD [or 8 Spe]
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Drill Run

RU is probably the tier with the most pokemon using AV that shouldn't using AV like Amoonguss, Clawitzer and Hitmonchan (lol BT) and I never understood why. RU doesn't have many viable AV users but this one is probably the most awesome one. Escavalier is my main switchin for Meloetta (sucks it doesn't have pursuit, but drill run saves me more often) I don't feel like I need more speed EVs for Slowking, only 8 Spe for a weakened Mega Camerupt.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Mantine was originally in this spot because it handled Mega Camerupt and Nasty Plot Houndoom. Nasty Plot Houndoom beats Slowking, but Moltres is a bigger threat than NP Houndoom so I have no problems making the change. 12 Spe is for Escavalier who are trying to be smart by running 97 speed. This pokemon works, just like Mantine, as a special pivot who spread burns and work as a panic button against set up sweepers if Quagsire is weakened, but Slowking does the job better than Mantine in general.

Below is the list of the biggest offensive threats to stall and how I beat them
S Rank
Dragalge - Bronzong, Escavalier (if no HP Fire)
Moltres - Slowking, Bronzong can switch in if it needs to
Mega Sceptile - Bronzong, Escavalier (if no HP Fire)

A+ Rank
Pangoro - SD is beaten by Quagsire and Band is beaten by Hitmontop. However, if it is played well it still destroys my team. SD Mold Breaker also wins 6-0.
Pidgeot - Bronzong, Slowking
Meloetta - Escavalier, Bronzong

A Rank
Mega Abomasnow - Hitmontop defeats the SD set. Bronzong defeats the mixed/special set
Mega Camerupt - Slowking, Escavalier kills if weakened
Cobalion - Quagsire
Doublade - Quagsire
Escavalier - Hitmontop beats it if it is AV. Banded Escavalier is a threat but can be beaten if Hitmontop does its job well
Fletchinder - Quagsire
Mega Glalie - Hitmontop and Bronzong both can take hits, but Explosion gets a kill

A- Rank
Drapion - Quagsire
Hitmonlee - Aromatisse
Houndoom - A well played Quagsire + Hitmontop beats it. But if it is paired up with something that also threatens Hitmontop/Quag (like Pangoro) it is often gg
Slurpuff - Quagsire, Escavalier

Others
Serperior - This team was made before Serperior was released, so I'm not really prepared for it at the moment.
Exploud - Slowking often pivots in to see what move it goes for. After I see what move it picks I can go to Escavalier / Bronzong / Stay in
TL;DR: The biggest threats to the team are Nasty Plot Houndoom, Pangoro and Banded Escavalier.

I'll test out every serious recommendation and see if it works out well. Especially if you manage to find a nice spot for Weezing, which helps me with Pangoro and Escavalier, I'll take it in consideration.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Toxic
- Foresight

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Drill Run

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there, SketchUp!

This is a pretty cool RU stall team you've put together here, and I have some suggestions that should improve its performance in the RU metagame. Stall is actually my favorite playstyle in that tier, so this is really my forte. The main issue I'm seeing here is the lack of hazard control, as well the lack of reliable healing throughout the team in general. I'll begin with my changes now. :)

->

Alomomola @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Mirror Coat

My first recommendation is replacing Quagsire with Mirror Coat Alomomola. Not only is it great for healing itself, but it also passes huge Wishes to its teammates, essentially granting them an extra life with each successful Wish passed. In addition, Alomomola's Regenerator ability allows it to gain back lost health just by acting as a defensive pivot and switching back out. You lose out on your Ground-type STAB attack here, but exchanging that for Mirror Coat is well worth it; it allows Alomomola to handily beat specially offensive giants such as Moltres and Mega Pidgeot, and even tank Draco Meteor from Choice Specs Adaptability Dragalge to hit back for the OHKO. While it's true that Alomomola is vulnerable to Eelektross's STAB attacks while Quagsire is not, it can take one, and Eelektross commonly carries Giga Drain as well anyway. A lot is gained with this change, and Alomomola's Wish passing is perfect for keeping Hitmontop able to check Pangoro throughout the match, and the same is true for keeping Escavalier healthy for beating down Psychic-types and Mega Sceptile (especially the Swords Dance variant, which lacks Hidden Power Fire).

Alomomola, with this set, can put up with damage from both the physical side and the special side, and Rocky Helmet is an alternative option here if you feel confident that Wish and Regenerator provide enough healing for it and you want to punish physical attackers for making contact. It's a great deterrent alongside Mirror Coat that can make the opponent afraid to touch Alomomola at all in many cases (if they aren't using Knock Off to remove Rocky Helmet).

->

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake

My second suggestion is replacing Bronzong with Gligar. Not only does this patch up the team's weakness to Electric, but it also adds the Ground-type STAB attack back to the team that we took out with Quagsire, as well as provides the team with a much-needed hazard remover; this one can heal itself to boot. In addition to these great attributes, Gligar provides the team with a reliable way of checking Swords Dance Pangoro (they usually don't run Ice Punch), while Alomomola already handles the Choice Band variant reasonably well, and Hitmontop is great for dealing with Pangoro in general. Gligar may not be able to tank hits from the likes of Moltres, Mega Pidgeot, and Mega Sceptile like Heatproof Bronzong can, but its ability to rid the team of hazards and heal itself largely makes up for that, especially considering that other team members can already handle those threats. Slowking easily walls Moltres and Mega Pidgeot (and so does Mirror Coat Alomomola), and Mega Sceptile is beaten by Slowking or Escavalier (if you predict wrong and switch Escavalier into HP Fire, this mistake can be patched up with a nice Wish from Alomomola later on).

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail -> Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

You might have read that statement above about Slowking beating Mega Sceptile and found it ridiculous. However, it's notable that your Slowking set with Assault Vest actually survives Leaf Storm from Mega Sceptile and is able to hit back, while being able to gain back lost health later easily by way of Regenerator. If you figure out that an opposing Mega Sceptile is NOT running the Swords Dance variant, you are guaranteed to tank a hit from it and kill it back if you replace Dragon Tail with Ice Beam. You lose the ability to shuffle the opposing team through Stealth Rock, yes, but you destroy one of the most powerful threats in the tier in one hit after it hits you with its most powerful super effective STAB attack, which is incredible to say the least.

If you still want to be able to use Dragon Tail, you could run Ice Beam over Psyshock, which makes you unable to OHKO Hitmonlee, but Fire Blast still gets a nice hit against the likes of Amoonguss and Roselia. It's all about what you want to be able to do, but you unfortunately can't do it all with only four moves. The really important things are taken care of, though. Eelektross with Knock Off and Flamethrower can be annoying for this team, but it will eventually go down if you play correctly. :)

This concludes my rate! I hope you found my suggestions helpful and I wish you success with your team!

Last edited:

SketchUp

Thanks for your rate Goddess Briyella
I've always found the lack of recovery a big problem when making teams for RU so it is very nice that you could find ways to have more reliable recovery and still having enough defensive power to defeat certain threats. But is it really necessary to have a defogger and a spinner in 1 team?

great team covering any threats that RU could have i have to say thought because your team lacks on a quick pokemon pokemon like SD pangoro can be a problem especially if you lose Hitmontop and Aromattise is weakened

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Thanks for your rate Goddess Briyella
I've always found the lack of recovery a big problem when making teams for RU so it is very nice that you could find ways to have more reliable recovery and still having enough defensive power to defeat certain threats. But is it really necessary to have a defogger and a spinner in 1 team?
Certainly. :)

Having two hazard removers isn't ABSOLUTELY necessary for any team, no. I suggested it because stall in general has trouble with semi-stall teams that use Spikes in RU, and I think it might as well be useful having a bulky hazard remover that can heal itself and bring great resistances to the team. Being able to Defog and use Stealth Rock right afterward is important, and Gligar has the bulk to pull that off. However, if you find it unneeded, you can always run U-turn, Knock Off, or Toxic over Defog. :)

As a follow up to Briyella's post, I'd recommend running Granbull over Aromatisse. Outside of the obvious Aromatherapy, Aromatisse and Alomomola essentially do the same thing. Granbull imo provides your team with a much better answer to a lot of Pangoro variants than Aromatisse. Furthermore, it fulfills a cleric role with Heal Bell. Finally, it also somewhat does the job Quagsire did against boosting sweepers with Roar.

SketchUp

As a follow up to Briyella's post, I'd recommend running Granbull over Aromatisse. Outside of the obvious Aromatherapy, Aromatisse and Alomomola essentially do the same thing. Granbull imo provides your team with a much better answer to a lot of Pangoro variants than Aromatisse. Furthermore, it fulfills a cleric role with Heal Bell. Finally, it also somewhat does the job Quagsire did against boosting sweepers with Roar.
What set do you advise? I am used to run a Resttalk set with Heal Bell but there is no place for Roar then. How well does Play Rough, Earthquake, Heal Bell, Roar work?

What set do you advise? I am used to run a Resttalk set with Heal Bell but there is no place for Roar then. How well does Play Rough, Earthquake, Heal Bell, Roar work?
Earthquake is pretty filler but iirc it doesn't really hit anything relevant that Granbull switches into. I'd personally run Toxic to poison switch-ins and whatnot.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Earthquake on Granbull is to actually stop it from losing to Steel and Fire-types as it provides good coverage with Play Rough.

Edit @ below: yah for poison's as well, but all relevant poison types take neutral from Play Rough while Amoongus takes minimal damage from EQ.

Last edited:

SketchUp

After some testing I've decided to run Earthquake over Roar on Granbull and Rest over Foresight on Hitmontop. Also testing out some more SpD EVs to take on Moltres and Pidgeot better if I am already weakened a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)