ORAS PU The Potential Team (First Rate My Team)

Hi everybody, this is my first Rate My Team I am showing off ever! I have had good luck with this team while also having fun. Don't know what to say next but I hope you have fun with this team!

The Slow Bruiser
Grass Type (Sudowoodo) @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
Sudowoodo is by far the most underrated rock type Pokemon so far. It has great attack and great defense making him physical in both defense and attack. Power-Up Punch is for setting up yourself and for countering most Stealth Rock set uppers, like Bastidon, Avalugg, and Gigalith. Stealth rock to set up rocks for Articunos and all Bug type Pokemon in PU. Stone Edge for Stab and Sucker Punch for when you have some boosts from Power-Up Punch and you can't out speed.

The Tanky Set Upper
Hippie Zippie (Hypno) @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
This Pokemon is such a beast. Hypno is tanky as well as offensive. Thunder Wave is for when our Lopunny which we will be talking about later goes down and you need status. Calm Mind for setting up, and Psyshock for Ampharos and other Specially Defensive Pokemon. Why Signal Beam instead of Shadow Ball because if I run Shadow Ball and Psyshock then I can't hurt Dark types if I have to face one.

The Main Set Up and Sweep
Mosquito (Beautifly) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power Rock
Beautifly is pretty powerful after only one quiver dance let alone a few. Giga Drain for health in case the opponent used Stealth Rocks, Bug Buzz for STAB, Hidden Power Rock for ice fire and flying types which you are weak against. This is a pretty simple set but a good one at best.

The Unique Support
Surpises (Lopunny) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Healing Wish
- Heal Bell
- Return
Guys I know what your thinking right now, "A Klutz Lopunny really that stinks!" but think again. Klutz doesn't let any your holding work so with Toxic Orb you won't get toxic. Switcheroo switches items with your opponent meaning that you can give them a Toxic Orb while you gain their item. Even though you won't gain the items effects, you can Switcheroo it with the opponent if they give you a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs, or just Switcheroo back your Toxic Orb for later. Healing Wish changes the game if you need to heal back Beautifly or Zebstrika, and Heal Bell for toxic stalls. Return is also good for doing chip damage when you need it. Also make sure this is a male so it has more surprise to it.

Nice Physical Sweeper
Fish Is LIT (Huntail) @ White Herb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Fang
Huntail is a pretty good set up Pokemon along with Beautifly in PU. White Herb for sure instead of focus sash because if Stealth Rocks are set up your Focus Sash is ruined. Waterfall for STAB and Ice Fang for coverage. Now for Sucker Punch it's for other Huntails and Gorebyss if they set up too. You could also replace it for Bounce for Fighting and Bug types or Body Slam for overall damage. MAKE SURE YOUR JOLLY, a max speed Golem can out speed and use Explosion and ruin your day.

The Fast Mix Attacker
Marty (Zebstrika) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 152 Atk / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Pursuit
- Overheat
Zebstrika is a great mix attacker and quick Pokemon in general. Pursuit is great for securing kills on Pokemon that are afraid of you. Volt Switch and Wild Charge for stab on both attacks, and Overheat is just a great move in general. Assault Vest is for tanking Special attacks a bit better and surviving harder hits.

Thank You for reading my first Rate My Team Thread I hope you enjoyed and do well with this team. Give me advice in the comments, thanks.

Last edited:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Vincenzoclaw!

EDIT: just look at the rate below, Dundies did a much better job explaining the changes n_n They are similar but not exactly the same.

I may do some sort of a formal rate later, but I'd like to start off by welcoming you to Smogon.

WELCOME

There you go n_n. So I'm really busy right now, but I can't help but help you with that Sudowoodo. :p

Sudowoodo lacks any kind of niche in the PU meta, unfortunately. It is outclassed by so many other mons in the meta, namely Golem. In fact, I think your team could use a Golem. It's a much better tank and Stealth Rock setter which actually has some bulk! Here's a set:

Golem @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

This is standard specially defensive Golem, although you could run a more offensive set if you wanted. I'd just suggest this. It fulfills the exact same "niche" as Sudowoodo (Edit: Sudowoodo lacks a niche). while doing a much better job with it.

In addition, I'd like to help you out with your Zebstrika set. Zebstrika has a much better Special movepool than a Physical movepool, and Assault Vest is a suboptimal item to give Zebstrika. I'd suggest using this set, which accomplishes the same thing more effectively:

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Grass

This new set is able to do more damage than the previous set because all of its EVs are invested in Special Attack and because of the switch to a Life Orb. You also have Hidden Power Grass now in order to hit opposing Golem, which are a threat to your team.

Next, here's a Pokemon switch: replace Lopunny with Audino. You are attempting to make somewhat of a cleric out of Lopunny, and in this respect, Audino outclasses Lopunny in many ways, including in defenses and recovery.

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Encore

Unfortunately for Beautifly, it is outclassed by Butterfree in every way. There are little or no situations where Beautifly would be better than Butterfree due to Butterfree's ability, Tinted Lens, and its access to Sleep Powder. Here's a great replacement set:

Butterfree @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

One more change for now: in its current state, your team is very weak to fighting types, namely Machoke, along with Grass types like Roselia. In order to remedy this, I'd suggest replacing Hypno with Grumpig. Colbur Berry Grumpig will at least somewhat threaten opposing Machoke and will help with Roselia. It should also aid in helping Butterfree sweep lategame.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

-Switch Sudowoodo to Golem
-Change Mixed AV Zebstrika to Special LO Zebstrika
-Switch Lopunny to Audino
-Switch Beautifly to Butterfree
-Switch Hypno to Grumpig

Hope this helps you out! :) Good luck with the team.

Last edited:
Hi Vincenzoclaw, interesting team you've got here. Sadly, a few of the sets aren't as good as they could be, so I'm going to try to help you out. To begin with, I think you can start by replacing Pokemon that are just outclassed completely.
  • I would go ahead and change Sudowoodo --> Golem, which plays the same role as Sudowoodo, a lead Stealth Rocker, though Golem adds an Electric immunity, a Ground-type STAB to complete the EdgeQuake combination, and more power overall.
Golem @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

• I would also go ahead and replace Hypno --> Grumpig, which can also make use of a Calm Mind set, but you'll have a much needed Regice check.
Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

• Third, as you lack a solid Golem or Machoke check and a Ground check, I'm going to suggest you take a more defensive route and change Lopunny --> Gourgeist-XL. This Lopunny set you have here is extremely gimmicky, and while it can seem cool when it works, it's really not worth the few times it does. Gourgeist-XL will give you a much needed check to Golem and Machoke, both of which pressure your team immensely.
Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

• Third, I'm going to suggest you change Beautifly --> Vullaby. To begin with, Beautifly is completely outclassed by Butterfree, but to add onto this, it's going to have very few setup chances since you don't have hazard control. On top of Defog, Vullaby also gives you a solid Grumpig check and act as a blanket check to physical attackers.
Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

• Now this is a small change, but it'll make a big difference in the long run. You should change Ice Fang --> Ice Beam and White Herb --> Life Orb on Huntail, while also changing your nature from Jolly --> Naughty. This maximizes your power once you've set up a Shell Smash, and minimizes the amount of Pokemon that can take a hit at +2. Ice Beam is used over Ice Fang for its ability to take out Pokemon such as Tangela and Gourgeist-XL at +2, which Ice Fang cannot do.
Huntail @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Sucker Punch

Last but not least, I think you should change Zebstrika --> Rotom-F. Having a Choice Scarfer in this tier will really help you out, as it's one of the most reliable ways to beat setup sweepers such as Crustle after they've already set up. Assault Vest Zebstrika is also just completely unviable.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

(Hidden Power Fighting allows you to soft check opposing Rotom-F)

tl;dr

-->

-->

-->

-->

-->

Ice Fang --> Ice Beam
White Herb --> Life Orb
Jolly --> Naughty

Looking through this RMT, it seems like you're a bit new to PU, which is no problem, but I suggest you check out threads in the PU forum and come hang out in the PU chat.

Anyways, hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)