Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
My opinions:

Fur Coat Mega Ampharos - Flavorwise: if scraggly Furfrou can get a defense boost from its unkempt hair, it does Mega Amph's totally stylin' hair no justice. Also, I also made this nomination to boost Mega Amph's viability without making it totally unstoppable, since it is still really slow, has no recovery, and is weak to common physical moves in Earthquake, Play Rough, and Outrage; even the slower attackers in Azumarill and Mega Mawile can totally take advantage of Mega Amph. A perk to Fur Coat is that it also affects physical-damaging special moves like Psyshock and Secret Sword, so Mega Amph can instead either focus on its Special Defense, reinforce its Defense even further, or making use of its newfound bulk with the likes of Agility.

Regenerator Registeel - Flavorwise: Eh, not really seeing it, but whatev. A Steel-type with that kind of passive recovery is great, but I'm just not so sure if Registeel itself offers as much as other Steel-types. Its support movepool is okay but Ferrothorn already seems to encompass the most of it. I can certainly see the appeal of a Steel-type with good recovery, but in Registeel's case, I find myself asking: "Okay, I get to keep this thing around longer....now what?" If it could at least recover on the spot, it could seemingly pull off a nice bulky boosting set but alas. The most likely niche I'm seeing out of Registeel is a Stealth Rocker that easily outlasts almost any Defogger, but that doesn't really resolve its issue of being a sitting duck most of the time, especially when common Ground-types are Registeel's best switch-ins (Excadrill anyone?)

Slack Off Krookodile - Flavorwise: If Hippowdon can Slack Off, I can kind of see Krookodile sunbathing in the same manner, except one of them is based of a vicious, bloodthirsty carnivore :/ . Now Krookodile, with help from Intimidate, can totally take on neutral physical attackers one-on-one, akin to Hippowdon's role, except Krook has more power over bulk.

Water / Fairy Milotic - Flavorwise: Yeah I can see it. Milotic makes use of this typing defensively, now able to take on stuff like Keldeo and XZard which would've stung Milotic a lot harder (+1 XZard has a chance to 2HKO 252 HP / 0 Def with SR in play though). Unfortunately it doesn't have any Fairy moves to make use of Competitive, which is a shame since Miotic would like better coverage.

I still like my Mega Amph idea, but (voting for oneself seems like bad taste) Slack Off Krook seems like it can do its main job much better with just that one move in its repertoire.

Water/Fairy Milotic

I really hope Registeel doesn't win. This thing is just the next Gourgeist; people will realize how bad Registeel is when they figure out it can't do anything offensively. At least Milotic can Toxic stall and phaze.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Guys, i have said multiple times that i don't really care much about flavor, although i like our theorymons to have it whenever possible. However, keep in mind that good theorymons are not so easy to come by, and i work with what i have. If you don't like the current theorymons, make sure to submit some better ones for next time (hint, defensive ones are preferred, in case you didn't notice so far).

Slack Off Krookodile - Flavorwise: If Hippowdon can Slack Off, I can kind of see Krookodile sunbathing in the same manner, except one of them is based of a vicious, bloodthirsty carnivore :/ . Now Krookodile, with help from Intimidate, can totally take on neutral physical attackers one-on-one, akin to Hippowdon's role, except Krook has more power over bulk.
I dunno, I wouldn't wanna get on the bad side of either of those animals. Hippos are mostly herbivorous, but damn are they nasty. 0_o

On-topic, I'm voting for Fur Coat Mega Ampharos this time around. At first I thought this would be potentially broken, but there are still plenty of ways around this (notably, there are a fair number of Mold Breaker EQ users...) Registeel becomes a neat bulky pivot or support mon with a Regenerator buff, but, like others have said, I don't exactly know what he'd do once in. Slack Off is a nice buff to Krookodile, but I don't see it as quite as interesting a topic as Amphy (though I still wouldn't mind this one winning at all.) Water/Fairy Milotic is the only one I really don't want to see because we've kind of exhausted conversation on Fairy-retypes. Like, we get it, we know how the retype affects offensive and defensive mons, and I don't know how much we can keep talking about it. We have 3 new, retyped Fairies on the ladder to mess around with already. I'd like to see the next set of playable Theorymon contain more diversity, you know?

Huh, another difficult choice.

Mega Amph would be fun, but I'm so used to regenerator that I'd have trouble adjusting. Since that's not a very good reason to not vote for something, I'll add that it doesn't quite address his main issue of no recovery anyway.

Milotic doesn't really seem like it'd offer much over contemporary fairies. I like it, but I don't think it'd have that great of an effect on the metagame by itself, especially compared to how awesome other pokemon became when they gained fairy

Registeel would probably work well, but I'd like to try something else as we've already had 2 pivot theorymons and we wouldn't learn much from a 3rd

Slack Off Krookodile gets my vote.

Fur coat is a silly ability to give to Ampharos. Ampharos and his pre-evolutions are sheep. Sheep do not have fur they have wool.

I think we need to be consistent with how we give these Pokemon theorymon abilities. For example, Alexwolf said that slack off on Krookodile would be acceptable because crocodiles slack off for long periods of the day. I'm telling you now that sheep never grow fur.

Last edited:
Fur coat is a silly ability to give to Ampharos. Ampharos and his pre-evolutions are sheep. Sheep do not have fur they have wool.

I think we need to be consistent with how we give these Pokemon theorymon abilities. Alexwolf said for example that slack off on Krookodile makes sense because Crocodiles slack off for long periods of the day. I'm telling you now that sheep never grow fur.
We don't really care about literal views, just what makes enough sense to justify a competitive theorymon. Ampharos has a coat made of fur (-like wool), and fur coat would be a competitive ability on it (or not, that's what voting's here to decide), so we give it fur coat. Really, who cares past that?

We don't really care about literal views, just what makes enough sense to justify a competitive theorymon. Ampharos has a coat made of fur (-like wool), and fur coat would be a competitive ability on it (or not, that's what voting's here to decide), so we give it fur coat. Really, who cares past that?
Actually we do care about literal views. If this was not the case then Alexwolf would not have wrote in his guidelines that changes have to adhere to a Pokemon's flavour to an extent.

I do realise that it does not have to be perfect, however where do we draw the line? I think that changes should not look silly. Wool and fur are actually completely different, and Ampharos' wool is really short over most of his body. Milotic just doesn't look anything like a fairy. Serpents are not fairies.

So that I am not just criticizing I will contribute my own idea. I think it would make sense to give Jirachi and Celebi a retyping of steel/fairy and grass/fairy. Both were good defensive types in the past that are struggling more with the steel nerf and/or the addition of new Pokemon.

I like the sound of Regenerator Registeel and that is where my vote lies. Registeel is a robot and he could have mechanical properties that allow him to recharge his Shield over time. It would give Registeel a typing niche that separates him from Slowbro.

Slack Off on Krookodile would be a subtle change, that combined with his dark typing, could give him a more viable niche that separates him over lando.

Last edited:
Registeel should be able to use seismic toss and toxic. Its kinda of a Blissey pivot, with more bulk on physical side but less bulk on special side.now if only if it could learn wish and its HP stat higher

I still think Krookodile would face stiff competition from lando-t. It does have recovery, and I could see it being a better straight up wall in a lot of scenarios. But Lando's access to u-turn and amazing attack without investment is too good to pass up. Even if Krookodile does have recovery. Still, it would see a lot more usage.
Regenerator Registeel would be really tough to take down, but besides being a stealth rocker, it doesn't have much else it can do.
Fur Coat Amphy is an obvious buff but it doesn't have the same umph to it as regenerator does. Fur Coat is just sort of a buff that helps it generally, but it doesn't go hand in hand with any of Amphy's uses.
Milotic doesn't even get an attacking fairy move, so it's not taking advantage of it's ability Competitive in any way that it didn't before. It just walls more pokemon as we've seen with all the other theorymon who got the fairy buff.

I'm gonna refrain from voting this round, mostly because I don't have any interest in discussing any of these theorymon.

The two I still cant see flavor wise are Krook and Registeel, but whatever then. Guess more defensive boosts.

I'd like to vote Regenerator Registeel

Guess I'll submit Slack Off Aggron next then...

Fur Coat Mega Ampharos: While this is an intriguing suggestion, I do not believe this really does anything entirely great. Amph can take hits better, so what? It still has no way to get health back, but I guess taking some Earthquakes are better than nothing.

Regenerator Registeel: While I am voting for this one, its not exactly the most...whats the word? Sensible to me. It makes a block of steel un beatable with proper investment as it can now reliably heal.

Slack Off Krookodile: ...I really got nothing for this one. Sure, he can be a recovery Lando, but an Intimidate pivot just doesn't tickle my fancy in the slightest (its probably the thing I hate most but whatever).

Last edited:
This happens so that we manage to keep the ladder as relevant and close as possible to the actual OU metagame. If we kept all the theorymons we made, then eventually the metagame would become completely different to the OU metagame, which is something we don't want, as the whole point of talking about those theorymons is learning about the actual OU metagame. But, with only 7-8 theorymons on the ladder each month, it is much easier to stay close to the real OU metagame.
Well it would be nice if we had Theorymons in its current state and Theorymons with all of the Theorymons in it. It would be nice in that we would have a meta created by the entire community instead of a meta that was just created/originated from one person or a small group of people.

Fur Coat Mega Ampharos
I use it in Balanced Hackmons to decent success, this would be amazing.
Also how would the ladder work with 2 abilities for a Mega?

Oops

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Slack Off Krookodile

I'd also definitely be fine with Registeel, but we've already looked at multiple proposed Fairies and Fur Coat just seems like too much on Mega-Ampharos.

Actually we do care about literal views. If this was not the case then Alexwolf would not have wrote in his guidelines that changes have to adhere to a Pokemon's flavour to an extent.

I do realise that it does not have to be perfect, however where do we draw the line? I think that changes should not look silly. Wool and fur are actually completely different, and Ampharos' wool is really short over most of his body. Milotic just doesn't look anything like a fairy. Serpents are not fairies.

So that I am not just criticizing I will contribute my own idea. I think it would make sense to give Jirachi and Celebi a retyping of steel/fairy and grass/fairy. Both were good defensive types in the past that are struggling more with the steel nerf and/or the addition of new Pokemon.

I like the sound of Regenerator Registeel and that is where my vote lies. Registeel is a robot and he could have mechanical properties that allow him to recharge his Shield over time. It would give Registeel a typing niche that separates him from Slowbro.

Slack Off on Krookodile would be a subtle change, that combined with his dark typing, could give him a more viable niche that separates him over lando.
Where is this guideline people keep quoting that changes have to adhere to flavor? The closest I can find is this:
  • Those changes should at the very least not contradict flavor. They don’t have to fit a Pokemon’s flavor perfectly, but don’t suggest a secondary Fire-type for Grass-types for example.
That's a guideline for submitting ideas, not voting for them. From that, all I understand is that we can't suggest anything ridiculous, like Heavy Metal Gengar. If we start making a big deal about wool not being fur, then we're just wasting time. Basically, if an idea makes it to voting, then the moderators find it realistic enough to exist and that's good enough for me. If you don't want to vote for something because it breaks your suspension of disbelief, nobody can stop you, but please don't make a big deal of it because we're supposed to be voting based on viability in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)