The Easy Winners (OU)

So I saw the gengar+ttar+magnezone combo in the OU combos thread and decided to make a team around it. I'd say it has about an 80% win rate so far, losing mainly to poor predicting on my part.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish
Torrent
252 hp/252 def/6 atk
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Roar

This starts the battle off by getting SR up which is vital for helping gyarados and scizor sweep later. Not many leads can do a whole lot of damage to this outside of exploding. Gyarados is probably the most threatening Pokemon to this team so I have Roar in the last slot to prevent it from setting up. Avalanche+earthquake are my choice of attacks as they are resisted only by bronzong. I sometimes will use mixpert w/ 3 attacks in this spot since its not completely helpless when burned and can actually hurt hippowdon, but I'm not sure which set proves most useful for this particular team.

Gengar @ Leftovers
Timid
Levitate
252 sp atk/252 spe/6 hp
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Thunderbolt
-Focus Blast

Arguably the best Scizor bait in the game. I usually switch bring this in on predicted explosions or any other of its 3 immunities then set up a substitute to scout and to protect from status (mainly celebi's twave). If Scizor switches in while I set up a sub I'll switch to Magnezone while substitute saves me from pursuit. Most players don't bother u-turning when gengar has a sub up and almost always use bullet punch which barely scratches magnezone.

Gengar has another job of stopping SD Lucario who likes to use my cbtar locked into pursuit as set up fodder.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Timid
Magnet Pull
6 HP/252 sp atk/252 spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden power Ice (fire?)
-Magnet Rise
-Substitute

This is used for trapping steel types that stand in the way of Gengar and Tyranitar. A Timid nature and max speed is absolutely necessary for outpacing max speed adamant metagross and scizor.

Should I switch HP ice for HP fire? I've had the misfortune of switching Magnezone into the rare SD scizor and not being able to OHKO it while it KOs me with superpower. The only problem is that I will only tie at best with max speed adamant metagross but those aren't very common. If I'm behind a sub tbolt will OHKO a mence after SR and SS damage anyway, reducing the need for HP ice.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant
Sand Stream
252 hp/252 atk/6 spe
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge

Tyranitar tears huge holes into just about anything with the aid of choice band. If the pink whore gets in the way of Magnezone or Gengar I'll switch this in and strip off ~70% of its health with Pursuit while it switches. Similarily it can trap Rotom and Starmie who give Gyarados some trouble.

I tried using the 176 hp/252 atk/80 spe EV spread in the analysis but all skarm needs is a tiny speed investment to outrun that spread so I just don't bother and max HP for extra bulk.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
Technician
252 HP/176 SpD/12 Spe/70 atk
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Roost

Nobody expects SD scizor anymore which is what makes this set so deadly. Most bulky waters will be turned into mere set up fodder for this scizor thanks to its heavily specially defensive EV spread and then when they think one more surf will finish me I roost off much of the damage and SD some more the proceed to sweep their team with STAB bullet punch and x-scissor (hopefully ttar will have removed rotom by then) 12 Speed EVs let me outrun CB scizor who only invest in 8 speed EVs. It's worth noting that Scizor and Swampert resist each other's only weakness.

Gyarados @ leftovers
Adamant
Intimidate
72 HP/252 atk/184 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Bounce (earthquake?)

The main sweeper for this team. This comes out mid to late game when everything's been weakened. The moveset is pretty self explanitory, except for bounce which I got to do some extra damage to Starmie and Latias while at the same time doing a boatload to Celebi who likes switching in on me. Earthquake isn't really needed since most steel types will have been removed by magnezone once this comes out though I think it could help with subpeteya empoleon who gives this team a lot of trouble if it gets in on say ttar locked into pursuit. I'm not sure how the loss of coverage on celebi would affect me. The EVs let me outrun jolly ttar before a DD and positive base 115s after 1 DD. 72 HP EVs gives some extra bulk when switching in against things like Infernape.

I would say Gyarados and subpeteya Empoleon are probably the biggest threats to this team but ultimately Gyarados won't be lasting long with SR+LO+SS damage on top of a phazer and priority user (even though resisted) and I haven't actually been sweeped by one yet. There's really not much I can do though if Empoleon finds a way to set up.

Now rate away!

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Pretty solid team you have here. I agree that 3 attack MixPert would be the way to go over your current set (although Avalanche or Ice Punch is solid to hit Latias harder) since it will help against random restalk will o wisp Rotom A who troubles your whole team barring Gengar which isn't enjoying a Thunderbolt or even Will O Wisp since it interferes with its ability to Sub.

On Mag3 I think it'd be better to run Hidden Power [Fire] over Ice, since Ice is arguably only helping with Flygon since your SR will almost always be down so Mence will be OHKO'd by TBolt. I recommend 2 sets, depending on what you feel is better fit for your team.

Magnezone @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Magnet Rise / Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon / Thunder Wave

This set OHKOs Scizor with Hidden Power [Fire] as well as outspeeding and can also play mindgames with your opponent. Bluffing Scarf will allow you to get a lot of big dents / OHKOs against pokemon such as DDMence or cocky Mixmence deciding to Draco Meteor because they think your locked into HP Fire. Magnet Rising / throwing up a Substitute is easy with the abundance of choiced Bullet Punchs / Pursuits going around so it'll be easier to sweep while behind a sub or having only 2 weakness'. The second set i could see working is

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

Standard choice scarf set to revenge kill SDLuke and MixMence and the like but with an added twist. The best switch in to Magnezone is arguably Blissey, and if your predicting a switch in you can easily Toxic it, which makes it easy Pursuit bait for CBTar, allowing for a clean Gengar sweep in the later game.

Speaking of TTar, you should run 80 Spe EVs to outpace minimum speed investment Skarmory so you can 2HKO with Stone Edge. I also support Aqua Tail over Earthquake because it 2HKOs Hippowdon and still manages to do around 80% to Lucario who gets cocky and goes for a Swords Dance. Still OHKOs Heatran as well iirc. I also believe you should use Brick Break on Special Defensive SD Scizor. You can hit Heatran switch ins for upwards of 50% and you can also now hurt the ScarfMagnezone that loves to switch into Scizor.

If Gyarados and Empoleon start becoming a problem, you could try Vaporeon over your own Gyara. It fills the bulky water role and provides Wish support and a solid MixMence switch in.

Celebi is no where near a solid Life Orb Starmie counter.
299 Atk vs 236 Def & 404 HP (190 Base Power): 225 - 265 (55.69% - 65.59%) From Starmie's Ice Beam and
299 Atk vs 236 Def & 404 HP (90 Base Power): 107 - 126 (26.49% - 31.19%) From Hydro Pump.

If Celebi is switching into LO Hydro Pump with SR down it'll be at about 68% assuming average damage rolls and Leftovers recovers Celebi's health. This means Starmie can hit you for about 60% with Ice Beam and you'll be forced to either Recover (which will put you at 4% lower than you were and means Starmie can finish next turn) or you can Energy Ball which will OHKO Starmie after 2 turns of Life Orb recoil almst everytime, but means you will de at drastically low health and won't be able to counter much at all. Vaporeon doesn't do a better job either, although at least with Vapy you are getting a solid Gyara counter (the Celebi suggested is 2HKO'd by +1 Stone Edge 100% of the time) and an Empoleon counter like no other. This team also isn't decimated by CM Jirachi at all. Special Defensive Roost Scizor, Swampert, and CBTar? Seriously that is amazing CM Rachi coverage.

I like the combo of those three pokes, any excuse to use Gengar and hopefully return him to his former glory. This team has a couple of flaws and i will address them individually. Firstly lets talk Scizor. The EV spread is not optimal, i suggest you run 244hp for minimizing Stealth Rock damage. Put the remaining 8 EVs where you feel like. I also suggest running Brick Break/Superpower instead over X-Scissor as it is Heatran completely walls you as does Skarmory (shed shell). In terms of what X scissor achieves its not really that much especially when you still beat even Tentacruel and Starmie with just Fighting and Steel attacks. I find the added coverage against steels is really useful especially if you come up against a Shed Shell Skarmory.

Secondly i'm disturbed by your lack of real switch ins to bulky Waters. Vaporeon's Surf single handedly causes this team serious problems and a Life Orb Starmie is far worse, only Scizor can switch in and you cant even revenge kill it as even scarf Magnezone with +Speed Nature won't outspeed it so watch out for this. Empoleon and Gyarados are even worse. I suggest you run Celebi to help sort out this problem. This is the set i suggest you run:

Celebi @Leftovers
252hp / 100spe /100sp.atk / 52def
Timid

Grass Knot
HP fire
CM
Recover

I have run this set to great success for some time now. The evs ensure you outspeed neutral base 80s. The Sp.Atk is for the ohko on scizor without any boosts and thus makes a great lure for the red mantis who will either BP into the hands of Magnezone or be OHKOed as it attempts a u-turn. Celebi will also easily beat the likes of Skarmory and all bulky waters, it makes a fairly good switch into Gyarados and Kingdra too. It easily beats CM Suicune, Agility Poleon and CM Jirachi who could decimate this team if Swampy is on low health. Celebi also kindly absorbs status.

If you dont fancy Celebi as it leaves you more open to Infernape and Heatran. Then i suggest you use Vaporeon a sure fire solution to Gyarados, Empoleon and Infernape the standard 252hp / 252def / 4sp.atk. Bold HP electric / surf / wish / protect will work well on this team.

I think that you should run HP Fire on Magnezone, if you run a Scarfed set over the current one you will be able to revenge kill Scizor who otherwise gives your team a large problem.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Naive/Timid
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-HP Fire
-Flash Cannon
-Explosion

Bogmire! Its me! Frogoholic1 from ACC!

Anyway, I think you should run a mixed swampert lead. It supports your team better, and can help against hippowdon!

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Missouri's two best players were a combined 9-42 from the field, Oklahoma's Courtney and Ashley Paris combined for 42 points and 43 rebounds, and Oklahoma led every statistic on the stat sheet except one.
The problem for Oklahoma was the one - the final score.
OAS_AD('Position3');
Despite a dominating effort that included the 90th consecutive double-double for Courtney Paris, a scrappy Missouri team refused to go away and upset No. 13 Oklahoma 70-64 Tuesday in the first round of the Big 12 women's tournament.
"We didn't shoot the ball well," Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale said. "I don't know that I've ever seen a box score where you had more rebounds than points. I don't know if I've ever seen that. Name of the game is making baskets, and we had a hard time doing that today."
The Tigers, who finished last in the Big 12 with only two conference wins, became the first 12 seed to advance past the first round. They will face fourth-seeded Texas A&M on Wednesday.

Its just my opinion but I always thought a great benefit of magnezone+tyranitar is that you could use the Dragon Dance set with life orb and not have to worry about bullet punch. It really does a number on many teams (lots of people seem to use stuff similar to panamxis' tean from the archive) popular nowadays. I'd then probally make Scizor CB then but maybe not.

and of course you'd need hp fire on magnezone but do that anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)