Pokémon The Best Fairy Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simisear honey, 'cause he's FABULOUS!

...but in all seriousness Togekiss will wreck you. Either that, or Mega Mawile (if we aren't counting the legendaries).
speaking of simisear i found an incredibly stupid physical set that does suprisingly well. rock tomb, brick break and whatever else works so well

Although Sylveon has mediocre defence, and more than likely cannot stand against Gengarite, It can stand against your ever so common Mewtwos, and obliterate it on an OHKO Setup+Shadow Ball. I could be wrong, but I remember mine did that.~

but Sylveon is not Ubers, nor OU, it could no way be in a tier where CB Scizor and Mega Scizor are there. However it does has place in UU, even with Metagross, but Mega Mawile is arguable the best fairy here, not counting megas though, Azumarill or Togekiss are best.

Belly Drum Azumarill is a big ass threat if you set up the screens before (e.g.: dual screens klefki)!

Mega-Mawile is looking like one hell of a wall-breaker. If you run max attack and can use swords dance then well...

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega-Mawile Play Rough vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (50.76 - 59.93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I will admit that will be hard to run but as a wall breaker it will be extremely effective. I'm just glad it doesn't have bullet punch. Oh yeah and please tell me if my calc is wrong.
Not to mention that steel type balances all of fairy's weaknesses, and fairy covers one giving it only 2 weaknesses and SR resist. Along with its bulk, thats rediculous

I think that Mega Gardevoir is third. Part of the reason is oft-forgotten utility moves like: Confuse Ray, Destiny Bond, Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, memento, and will o wisp. Also there is Calm Mind. With max investment, Gardevoir can wreck certain threats.
Pokemon that gardevoir can outspeed and 1 or 2 hko
Rotom-W
(Mega) Tyranitar *
(Mega) Lucario *
Gyarados
Mega-Gyarados *
Thundurus (T) *
Tornadus (T) *
Landorus *
(*d mons are OHKOd))

Let's through in some Ubers for good measure :)
Mega Mewtwo X *
Certain Variants of Arceus *(sometimes)
Magikarp *
(Mega) Blaziken *

A lot of fairy types are good for different purposes. The best fairy set I ran for the most extended period of time on showdown was this Florges set:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 188 Def / 64 SDef / 240 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Basic cleric/wish passer/staller of status inflicted by other pokes on the team. It was the only fairy that could defend against physical and special threats fairly well I found at that time. Of course, it couldn't take steel attacks forever, but it could live a Sludge Bomb from a Jolly Mega Gengar before it got banned, which was how they were usually run. Tempting as it was the replace Aroma with Toxic to give this set some offensive stalling pressure, statuses were HUGE in those past months, and having a cleric that could take enough SE hits from the physical side to pass a crucial wish(of 178 HP, so never unhelpful) better than Sylveon ever could, and still be a little faster than anything else uninvested in the same tier. This thing saved matches many a time. Any variant of defensive ferrothorn negates this pokemon's weaknesses entirely, now that Mega Gengar is gone and there is no sure way to stop the switch. Moonblasts do a decent bit with neutral damage too.

Offensively and in current meta, best Fairy that I've run is Mega Mawile. Max attack, whatever you care to invest in speed, I put 88 ev's, running S.P., Play Rough, Fire Fang, and Sub. Woe be to any that get scared into switching out predictably when you bring it in and let you sub up, as they can't touch you then without you wrecking a lot of shit with S.P.

A lot of fairy types are good for different purposes. The best fairy set I ran for the most extended period of time on showdown was this Florges set:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Basic cleric/wish passer/staller of status inflicted by other pokes on the team. It was the only fairy that could defend against physical and special threats fairly well I found at that time. Of course, it couldn't take steel attacks forever, but it could live a Sludge Bomb from a Jolly Mega Gengar before it got banned, which was how they were usually run. Tempting as it was the replace Aroma with Toxic to give this set some offensive stalling pressure, statuses were HUGE in those past months, and having a cleric that could take enough SE hits from the physical side to pass a crucial wish(of 178 HP, so never unhelpful) better than Sylveon ever could, and still be a little faster than anything else uninvested in the same tier. This thing saved matches many a time. Any variant of defensive ferrothorn negates this pokemon's weaknesses entirely, now that Mega Gengar is gone and there is no sure way to stop the switch. Moonblasts do a decent bit with neutral damage too.

Offensively and in current meta, best Fairy that I've run is Mega Mawile. Max attack, whatever you care to invest in speed, I put 88 ev's, running S.P., Play Rough, Fire Fang, and Sub. Woe be to any that get scared into switching out predictably when you bring it in and let you sub up, as they can't touch you then without you wrecking a lot of shit with S.P.

Care to explain why those specific EVs? I tried running full HP/Def Bold to balance out her defences but I'm not sure what's the optimum spread. Mine can take special hits but not as good as I'd like personally

I have to say I find them all to be lacklustre, as fairy type pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, belly drum Azu and mega mawile wreck things. They're the only threatening fairy type pokemon. But not at all due to their fairy type.

Azu's most threatening move is Aqua Jet, and is good thanks to huge power, choice band, and belly drum, while Mawile destroys thanks to huge power, sucker punch, and intimidate.

Their fairy types contribute little if at all, which is why I personally consider the fairy type as really lacklustre, it's too one dimensional.

Care to explain why those specific EVs? I tried running full HP/Def Bold to balance out her defences but I'm not sure what's the optimum spread. Mine can take special hits but not as good as I'd like personally
Basically I imagine what it would take to survive the two most threatening attacks to it, in my mind, at the time. I like to think that if a defensive Poke can be set up in such a way so as to survive even one hit from a major threat, then non-SE hits of similar power shouldn't be a problem. The threats being, Banded Scizor with Technician Bullet Punch, and Mega Lucario with Bullet Punch as well and timid Mega Gengar with Sludge Bomb. Sludge Bomb does 66.1-78.9% barring a crit. It's a 2HKO, and in that scenario, Florges can't switch, but that sort of damage from a hit like that gives me the security that that it can live plenty of non-SE hits from the special side from lesser-powered Pokemon. Physically, Banded Adamant Scizor has just 31.3% to OHKO with a bullet punch. If I am stupid enough to get hit with that in any circumstance, odds are 7/10 that I keep my Florges and switch into something that resists. Unboosted Mega Lucario Bullet Punch is a 2HKO. Adamant max Atk metagross with leftovers has less than 50% chance to OHKO with Meteor Mash(round 43%).

Basically, it's ev'd to survive physical steel threats and special poison threats in case I suffer a lapse of extreme stupidity and put it in that situation.

The 16 in speed could have easily gone to something else, but I usually like to run just enough in speed to outspeed uninvested pokemon in the same tier as the one I'm using.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
but Sylveon is not Ubers, nor OU, it could no way be in a tier where CB Scizor and Mega Scizor are there. However it does has place in UU, even with Metagross, but Mega Mawile is arguable the best fairy here, not counting megas though, Azumarill or Togekiss are best.
Switch into something that Sylveon counters (pretty much any special attacker in OU bar Mega-Lucario and Psyshock users). Use wish. Once Scizor switches in, switch to something that resists bullet punch and heal your teammate.

I've been running Sylveon as a Cleric/Special Wall in OU and it is very good at what it does. It's just as good as Blissey imo, maybe better since it's typing is more useful and pixelate hyper voice gives it a much appreciated offensive presence.

Last edited:

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Care to explain why you used Florges over Sylveon? Sylveon has better physical bulk, passes bigger wishes, poseeses almost the same special bulk, and is much more powerful due to Pixelate Hyper Voice, so the only real advantage Florges has is that it is a tiny bit faster.

They have about the same physical bulk in terms of base defense stat: however, Florges's is slightly higher, 68 to Sylveon's 65.

If you apply the same ev spread to Sylveon, it's stats compared to Florges are lower in everything relevant to a defensive set except HP, which admittedly allows Sylveon to beat Florges in size of Wishes, which on this set is half of the purpose of the HP stat in itself. However, the difference in total is only 34 points, 17 Wish-passed HP points gained in using Sylveon over Florges. With Florges and this spread, it's stats are higher than Sylveon's by 7 def points, not all that serious, but more importantly in sp. def... Florges beats Sylveon by 48 points with the same ev spread. Adding the fact that Florges outspeeds Sylveon naturally, with equal investment, by 30 points, makes Florges the better defensive fairy pokemon with this set. The ev's are intended to allow Florges to utilize it's already huge special bulk, while still investing enough in physical bulk so that it can adequately take less powerful hits from that side without problems.

Sylveon has more offensive presence while using defensive sets, but I don't really care, I would rather have the extra speed. The loss in HP passed in wishes wasn't entirely a problem, but my team sufficed well enough on wishes of 176 or so that Florges passed.

Also, I'll admit that a factor in using Florges outside of my genuine opinion that it is defensively superior was that at that point Sylveon was the first popular Fairy type that a lot of people ran to try out the type, and that popularity grew into most Sylveon sets acting as purely special wall/clerics on teams. Physical counters were the most effective because it's defense was far lower, and often left without ev investment. Many just thought of Florges as a fundamentally inferior Sylveon and would expect to OHKO with non SE hits that it would eat up. This made Florges even better in my eyes.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Also, I'll admit that a factor in using Florges outside of my genuine opinion that it is defensively superior was that at that point Sylveon was the first popular Fairy type that a lot of people ran to try out the type, and that popularity grew into most Sylveon sets acting as purely special wall/clerics on teams. Physical counters were the most effective because it's defense was far lower, and often left without ev investment. Many just thought of Florges as a fundamentally inferior Sylveon and would expect to OHKO with non SE hits that it would eat up. This made Florges even better in my eyes.
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 70.2 - 82.7%

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 66.4 - 78.4%

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 30.8 - 36.6%

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 31.9 - 37.5%

4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 40.6 - 47.7%

4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 49.1 - 57.9%

Sylveon outperforms Florges in every situation. Remember that Hyper Voice also pierces Substitutes. Unless you're playing doubles, there's absolutely no reason to ever use Florges. Even the Speed advantage is negligible.

Sylveon also does offensive sets much better; it gets Psyshock and Shadow Ball for coverage, plus Draining Kiss for recovery if you want. All Florges gets is a few crummy Grass-type moves.

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

I think you're running a very similar team to me! I'm running Florges as a pure special wall/cleric, however, which means 252 EVs in both Sp Def and HP. The other 6 EV go to Sp Atk. Ferrothorn and Hippowdon are there to wall the physical attacks.

I play purely in-game and I need a status healer, so it has to be Florges rather than Sylveon for me, as I can't get Heal Bell on Sylveon. Also, given that she is there to block special attacks only, not physical ones, I think that makes her superior to Sylveon.

Florges has saved my team time and time again. She revitalises the rest of my team and allows them to go back into battle. Crucially, the moment I see a purely special attacker, I know that I can switch her in, hit Wish and then either switch her out on the opponent's switch or use Moonblast if they stay put. Opponent Greninja in particular become opportunities for me to regroup at little to no danger.

They have about the same physical bulk in terms of base defense stat: however, Florges's is slightly higher, 68 to Sylveon's 65.

If you apply the same ev spread to Sylveon, it's stats compared to Florges are lower in everything relevant to a defensive set except HP, which admittedly allows Sylveon to beat Florges in size of Wishes, which on this set is half of the purpose of the HP stat in itself. However, the difference in total is only 34 points, 17 Wish-passed HP points gained in using Sylveon over Florges. With Florges and this spread, it's stats are higher than Sylveon's by 7 def points, not all that serious, but more importantly in sp. def... Florges beats Sylveon by 48 points with the same ev spread. Adding the fact that Florges outspeeds Sylveon naturally, with equal investment, by 30 points, makes Florges the better defensive fairy pokemon with this set. The ev's are intended to allow Florges to utilize it's already huge special bulk, while still investing enough in physical bulk so that it can adequately take less powerful hits from that side without problems.

Sylveon has more offensive presence while using defensive sets, but I don't really care, I would rather have the extra speed. The loss in HP passed in wishes wasn't entirely a problem, but my team sufficed well enough on wishes of 176 or so that Florges passed.

Florgres can never be better than Sylveon unless it gets some absurd (And I mean REALLY absurd) move pool buff. Let's end the discussion here as it can go downhill very quickly.

If only we had a game available to us that allowed us to put our money where our mouth is and run teams with our preferred pokemon in them. Then we could see how it all works in practice rather than just in theory.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Swagkey is a beast if you're lucky ;)
Not really, it is a stupid gimick that shouldnt work.

Klefki swaggers
10% chance to miss, they have a 50% of breaking through confusion and killing/denting you.
Overall you have a 55% chance of getting hit that turn

It is stupid and there are better klefki sets as it can utilise spikes and other amazing support moves.

Azu and mega mawile are the strongest, and every team has to carefully play against them, with their strength, one misplay/overprediction really hurts.
As for sylveon vs florges, sylveon is better. No arguing against that, the speed is barely relavant.

Azumarill and mega mawile are the best but I'd nudge Azumarill a little over Mawile as it doesn't take up your mega spot, has more realiable priority and I personally find the belly drum set better than Mawile's SD set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)