Team Iron Balconies (OU)

Team Iron Balconies

I really don't like introductions, I never know what to say...so I'll just give you a little history on this team. This team was created in a fit of boredome, after reading over a ton of threads I started getting some ideas for a team. At first it started with just a bunch of random Pokemon that I had read about, but after a few matches the team just seemed to click. After a few tweeks here and there I was winning very often, and I was having fun doing it. So I decided why not write a Rate-My-Team? So here I am, a few hours later. But enough of that! I now present Team Iron Balconies (So shoot me, I suck at naming my teams)!!!​

HEATRAN

Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse
- Overheat

SpecsTran has become my lead of choice. SpecsTran makes such an awesome anti lead, it can take care of most other common leads with ease. Metagross leads are by far my favorite matchups, Heatran can outspeed and OHKO with Overheat before it can even set up Stealth Rocks, this is taking Occa Berry into account. Swampert leads also suffer an clean OHKO with HP Grass before they can set up SR. Even faster leads like Azelf are good for me, I take a chunk out of HP while he uses SR and then I go straight to Gengar to absorb the Explosion. Lead Heatrans are a little tricky but they will usually try to set up SR while I OHKO with Earthpower, if they opt to attack me I will get KOed. Like any other lead SpecsTran is not perfect, but most of the time it gets the job done. If it survives the beginning of the game it also serves as a great hitter mid game, taking advantage of it's great resistances, immunities, and defenses to get some big hits in. Heatran is usually my first switch in when Scizor is threatened by Fire type attacks. Latias has nice synergy with Heatran, resisting Water and Fighting type attacks and being completely unharmed by Ground type attacks. Gengar is also a great choice, being immune to both Fighting and Ground attacks.

JIRACHI

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fire Punch
- Grass Knot
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head

Taking the advice of several team raters, I have made some adjustments to my Jirachi. As mentioned by August, a Mixed Jirachi would patch up several of my teams weaknesses.

Mix Jirachi is excellent because it can feign Choice Scarf, a common Jirachi set, and smash pokemon thinking they can set up or get a free turn. For example, Swampert loves to come in on Iron Head / Fire Punch, or Substitute like your current set. With Mix Jirachi Swampert switches into Iron Head / Fire Punch / Ice Punch only to be hit with a 4x effective Grass Knot to finish it off. Thanks to the Extreme Speed resistance you can also check Lucario if it has had a defense drop previously. Slow MixMence is OHKO'd by Ice Punch and most Naive MixMence only chose to run 176 Speed, and Jirachi outpaces that. Sub CM Jirachi gets 2-3HKO'd by Fire Punch depending on what move you switch into and offensive Zapdos is OHKO'd by Iron Head -> Ice Punch with Stealth Rock out.
By making this change to a Mixed Jirachi I have had far more success with my team, allowing me to take care of almost every Pokemon that was marked on my threat list. Zapdos, Sub Calm Mind Jirachi, Suicune, Mamoswine, and Lucario. I will leave my old Jirachi set here so that other raters can take a look at how Jirachi in general works with my team synergy wise.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Reflect
- Iron Head
- Body Slam/Thunder Wave

This is my take on Para Flinch Jirachi. Instead of using a Choice Scarf to flinch the opposing pokemon I use a combination of Body Slam/Thunder Wave to slow down the other Pokemon and then proceede to either Flinch the crap out of the other Pokemon. The other option is going straight for a Substitute directly after Paralyzing a Pokemon and from there either setting up Reflect or try to flinch the other pokemon. Jirachi is a great team player, spreading paralysis throughout the opposing team. Paralysis support is great for my team allowing some of my slower pokemon like Magnezone and Heatran to shine. Jirachi also has very nice synergy with Latias, taking the Ice and Dragon attacks aimed at her. In return Latias and Heatran can take the Fire type attacks aimed at Jirachi, while the Groung type moves are taken by Latias and Gengar which are both immune.

LATIAS

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

Choice Scarf Latias makes an excellent revenge killer, with the ability to outspeed Salamence and Gyarados after they use Dragon Dance and KO them back with Thunderbolt and Draco Meteor respectively. Surf is there as a filler of sorts, it does serve me well sometimes. Surf allows me to revenge kill Choice Scarf Heatran, hurt Tyranitar if they happen to switch in, and give me a solid neutral hit on alot of other threats. Trick is what makes Latias one of my favorite revenge killers, it allows me to screw over things like Blissey and Vaporeon that come in to ruin my fun. After its Scarf has been tricked away it still works well as a mid game threat with its super powered Draco Meteor and good type coverage. Levitate is a great ability for this team, allowing Latias to come in unharmed on Ground type moves aimed at my various Steel Types. In turn my Steel types take the Dragon, Ice, and Dark attacks aimed at Latias.

SCIZOR

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Call me unimaginative but Scizor makes an excellent addition to most teams. Its priority is extremely valuable for my team, picking off weakened threats such as Salamence, or speedy Choice Scarfed pokemon. Scizor is also my go to guy for taking out Ghost types not named Rotom, Latias, and other Psychic types that can give me trouble occasionally. U-turn is by far the most useful move on Scizor, allowing me to deal huge amounts of damage to anything not resisting it and allowing me to keep momentum on my side. Once some of the other team's Pokemon are paralyzed it becomes much easier to take stuff out with U-turn. Superpower is there basically to hit predicted Magnezone and Heatran switchins but also lets me hit alot of other Pokemon relatively hard without having to predict much. Yeah Scizor is a little predictable, but it continues to be my priority user of choice because of its natural bulk along with its huge amounts of resistances. Can you really blame me? Heatran loves absorbing the Fire type attacks directed at Scizor. If Heatran is gone though, Latias doesn't mind Fire type moves too much either.

GENGAR

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis

Life Orb Timid Gengar is a great mid game threat, using its high speed and special attack to do huge amounts of damage to the opposing team. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast give you perfect coverage hitting every Pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage. Thunderbolt is, like Surf on Latias, a semi filler move. It gives me another strong attack that has the potential to hit random threats like Vaporeon or Suicune for super effective damage. I have considered using Substitute instead of Thunderbolt, but have chosen Thunderbolt because Substitute will mean that I would have to sacrifice alot of HP to Life Orb, Substitute, and occasionally Sand Storm. Hypnosis has found its way onto this set, despite its low accuracy. Hypnosis usefulness out shines its drawbacks, allowing me to incapacitate their first answer to Gengar and allow me to set up one of my Substitute users. Gengar's immunities prove very valuable to this team. Fighting and Ground attacks are the most common way of taking care of Steel types, but Gengar is here to abuse that and get some free switches! One of Gengar's best uses is that of Scizor lure. It attracts Scizors like moths to a flame, allowing me to hit them with strong Focus Blast. Now they are forced to use Bullet Punch, which of course is my last Pokemon's cue to enter the battle field...

MAGNEZONE

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 174 HP/84 Spd/252 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

Magnezone is such an awesome Pokemon. Not only does it have the highest Special Attack among Electric types, but its ability is absolutely amazing. Magnezone usually comes into a Bullet Punch aimed at Gengar, effectively giving me a free kill. At that point I will take advantage and use Thunder Wave to let me have a guaranteed Substitute after the said Scizor has been eliminated. That substitute opens up so many other doors for Magnezone. It can either use Thunder Wave on the next Pokemon to come out and continue hitting it with Thunderbolts, or just explode if something like Blissey or Zapdos comes in. Magnezone is also great at taking care of Choice Scarf Jirachi and Earthquake-less Metagross, with similar results. A very handy Pokemon to have with Scizors crawling all over the place. Magnezone has excellent synergy with Latias, taking Ice, Dragon, and Dark attacks aimed in her direction. In return Latias can take the Ground and Fire attacks aimed at Magnezone. Heatran also enjoys getting its Fire type moves boosted with its Flash Fire ability!

Threat List

Defensive Threats

Blissey - Blissey always enjoys coming in an ruining the fun for my special attackers. Thankfully I have two ways of dealing with Blissey. The first is using Scizor to either Pursuit Blissey, hit her with Superpower, or hit her with U-turn. The plan B is to trick a Choice Scarf onto her as she comes in to wall Latias. The last and final resort would be to use Magnezone's Explosion to take her out.

Bronzong - Lead Bronzong gets OHKOed, if I'm not mistaken, by Heatran's Overheat. Other versions often find themselves trapped by magnezone and getting 2HKOed, and if Magnezone is coming in from Scizor's U-turn then it's more than likely a OHKO.

Celebi - Celebi is not too big of a problem and can usually be handled by Scizor who can hit it with a 4x super effective U-turn while Celebi can do little in return. Scizor also has the option to pursuit Celebi if it tries to switch out. Gengar can take out weakened Celebi with Shadow Ball.

Cresselia - Cresselia, like alot of other Psychic threats, can be dispatched easily by Scizor's U-turn or Pursuit. Gengar can also finish off a weakened Cresselia with Shadow Ball.

Donphan - If we ignore the fact that this guy is UU now, Donphan wont be doing much for the opposing team due to the fact that I never seem to have Stealth Rock on my teams. It might find its way in on Magnezone, which any Ground type walls, in which case I can either use Explosion, switch to Latias and use Surf, or go to Gengar and hit it with STAB Shadow Balls.

Dusknoir - Dusknoir is very slow, and its priority is resisted by most of my Steel types. Heatran can come in on a WoW directed at Scizor and threaten it, and the rest of its team, with a super powered Overheat.

Forretress - Heatran can usually come in on this guy no problem and force him out with the threat of Overheat KOing him. Forretress also is conviniently trapped by Magnezone, who comes out of the encounter usually behind a Substitute.

Gliscor - After taking a few hits Gliscor gets KO by most of my Pokemon, except Magnezone (who can explode if it has a Substitute up). Jirachi can set up Reflect and cripple him with Body Slam, allowing him to be easily picked of by either Iron Head or another Pokemon.

Gyarados - Depending on the type of Gyarados I'm faced with I have two different things I try to do. Since this is a defensive Gyarados, it will usually come in on Scizor. In which case I would U-turn to Gengar and threaten it with either Hypnosis or Thunderbolt.

Hippowdon - Almost always a lead, in which Heatran will just use Overheat for an easy KO before he can set up SR. If he isn't a lead I would just use its weaker Special Defense and take it out using one of my various Special attackers, all of whom outspeed (Magnezone could use Explosion if totally necessary). Gengar and Latias can switch into predicted Earthquakes and hurt it back badly.

Jirachi - Lead Jirachi get OHKOed by Heatran, while having no way of hurting me back. If they trick Choice Scarf onto Heatran then I gain a great revenge killer while they lose Jirachi. Magnezone can also trap Jirachi quite well, and only has SubCM Jirachi to worry about in which case I would use Explosion, getting rid of the Substitute, and trying to KO it with either Heatran or Gengar. SubCM Jirachi is a problem.

Rotom-A - Rotom is a slight problem. Without a reliable way to trap it like a Tyranitar, I have to resort to good old fashioned beatdown. Rotom will usually come in on Scizor to absorb U-turn, in which case I would U-turn to Gengar and check for its item, if I see Leftovers I can go for an easy KO with Shadow Ball, otherwise I can assume its a choice set and switch back to Scizor to absorb the incoming Shadow Ball and trap it with Pursuit.

Skarmory - Easily dispatched by Heatran and Gengar, and completely trapped by Magnezone who comes out of the encounter with a Substitute.

Snorlax - Scizor handles snorlax quite nicely, resisting Body Slam (and even if it did paralyze him it wouldnt be such a big deal) and Cruch, and being able to retaliating with Superpower or U-turn, in which case I would go to Jirachi to set up either Substitute, Reflect, or both while being able to easily flinch it till it is KOed.

Suicune - Suicune takes alot of damage from the Electric moves on the team. Magnezone can come in and threaten Suicune with Thunderbolt or Explosion. Gengar and Latias can revenge kill it if it is weak enough. Suicune can be a big hassle.

Swampert - Heatran gets a OHKO on Lead Swampert with HP Grass most of time before he can even set up Stealth Rocks. Other than that he will usually try to force Magnezone out or come in on Scizor. Magnezone can just use Explosion on it. If it comes in on Scizor's U-turn I can go to Gengar who can do a good amount of damage with Shadow Ball. Another tricky Pokemon.

Tentacruel - My entire team is immune to Toxic Spikes and I have no Stealth Rocks for him to Rapid Spin away, so most of the time it is completely useless and gives me time to set up Substitutes on either Magnezone or Jirachi, or just go to Gengar and threaten it with a Thunderbolt.

Tyranitar - Tyranitar will usually come in to trap Gengar, in which case I will always use Focus Blast, which is a OHKO on all Tyranitar with the exception of a super Special Defensive Carefule Tyranitar.

Vaporeon - Not much of a problem as Latias can come in and either threaten it with getting tricked a Choice Scarf or getting hit by a Thunderbolt. Magnezone can also come in and paralyze Vaporeon while surviving a Surf and KOing back with Thunderbolt.

Zapdos - Another nuisance for my team. I will usually try to paralyze it with Jirachi or Magnezone (if it comes in while I use Substitute). From there I just weaken it with whatever I have left or use Explosion on Magnezone.

Offensive Threats

Azelf - Lead Azelf is probably one of my least favorite leads to have to deal with, but even then its not too hard to work around. I will always attack Azelf on the first turn, if they used taunt then I will stay in and KO while they set up Stealth Rocks, if they used Stealth Rocks then I go straight to Gengar to absorb the Explosion. Outside of the lead spot Scizor and Latias can pick of a weakened Azelf.

Breloom - Breloom is a pain in the ass. I usually have to sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep, and an additional Pokemon to get rid of its Substitute. Jirachi can come in after a Pokemon has been put to sleep and set up Reflect then go to Gengar to absorb the Focus Punch and try to KO Breloom before Breloom KO's its with Seed Bomb. Not a fun pokemon to handle.

Dragonite - Even after a Dragon Dance Dragonite is easily revenge killed by Latias. Jirachi and most of the other Steel Type members of the team can come in on an Outrage and set up or KO Dragonite.

Dugtrio - I've actually never faced on of these yet, but I'm sure it would cause some problems among my team. I would probably have to revenge kill it after it kills Magnezone (if I am behind a Substitute then I will use Explosion) with either Latias or Gengar.

Electivire - Not a very problematic Pokemon, as long as it does not get a Motor Drove Boost. If that does happen I would either have to resort to revenge killing it with Draco Meteor from Latias, or Body Slam paralysis from Jirachi. I'll just have to watch out for Motor Drive.

Gallade - I haven't seen any of these yet, but if I did I would have a rough time taking it out if it happened to get a Swords Dance. I can't really think of what I can to in return other than hope Shadow Sneak doesn't KO Latias or that it is already weakened so Scizor can pick it off with Bullet Punch.

Gengar - Scizor is a great way of getting rid of pesky Gengars, either Pursuit or Bullet Punch will do the job (most of the time Pursuit though since it KOs either way I think). If it happens to KO Scizor with HP Fire then it is easy pickings for my Gengar which will outspeed by one point and KO with Shadow Ball. Latias can also revenge kill it.

Gyarados - Dragon Dance Gyarados is not really to big of a problem as it can be revenge killed rather easily by Latias. Jirachi would usually be the sacrifice of choice so that I can see whether or not it has Earthquake, if it does then Latias can do the job, if it doesn't then I can set up Reflect and maybe paralyze it without having to sacrifice anything.

Heatran -Choice Scarf Heatran is a big pain, dishing out huge amounts of damage to my Fire weak team. My only hope is Latias who resists Fire type attacks and outspeeds, but even then it cannot get a OHKO. Magnezone can also take it out if it is stuck on HP Ice or Dragon Pulse. Heatran can also come in on a predicted Fire attack and force it out. Other versions of Heatran are too slow to deal to much damage to my team before it is taken out.

Heracross - Between Latias and Scizor, Heracross doesn't have much room to sweep and will have a hard time coming in to set up a Swords Dance. Choice Scarf sets are easy to abuse between Gengar and Heatran taking Mega Horn and Close Combat respectively.

Infernape - Latias makes a very good Infernape check, resisting both its STABs, outspeeding, and KO'ing it with Surf. Gengar can also come in and absorb a Close Combat and KO back with Shadow Ball.

Jolteon - I have not faced on yet, but I can see it might be a problem. The only thing I can think of is revenge killing it with Latias, but then again I depend to much on Latias. This is a problem spot.

Kingdra - Latias can easily outspeed both Dragon Dance and Rain Dance varieties while also KOing back with Draco Meteor.

Lucario - My first choice in taking out Lucario is Gengar, but this can easily be foiled if Focus Blast misses. Lucario has the potential to be extremely destructive at that point. Lucario can be a problem as well.

Machamp - Most Machamp I have see are usually in the lead position. Heatran KO's Machamp easily with Overheat before it even gets the chance to move. Other than that Gengar can come in on a predicted Dynamic Punch and deal some heavy damage in return.

Magnezone- Choice Scarf Magnezones stuck on Thunderbolt is dispatched by my own Magnezone. I would first paralyze it and then proceed to Set up a Substitute and Thunderbolt it till it is KOed. Since mine will be both faster (the paralysis) and bulkier (HP EVs and Leftovers) it will always come out on top. If it is not Choice Scarf then it is not really fast enough to do much damage to the team, but the same strategy would apply.

Mamoswine - This is one lead I will almost always lose to with Heatran. Both Pokemon that can avoid Earthquakes, Gengar and Latias, are hit hard by its other moves like Stone Edge and Ice Shard. Scizor can revenge kill it easily though.

Metagross - Like I mentioned earlier, LeadGross is my favorite matchup because it gets OHKOed easily without it being able to set up anything at all. Other than that AgiliGross could cause my team some problems, especially if it is using Earthquake, Jirachi should be able to survive and paralyze him effectively ending his sweep.

Porygon-Z - Havn't seen Porygon Z in a long time but it is not a very hard Pokemon to check. Gengar can come in on Choice Scarf versions, the most common if I'm not mistaken, and absorb the predicted Tri Attack, then again so can the rest of the Steel types on my team. Jirachi and Magnezone like getting free Substitutes up!

Salamence - The dreaded Salamence. Dragon Dance Salamence is revenge killed easily by Latias with Draco Meteor. If Latias happens to be dead already then I also have the option of getting its HP down to about ~60% and KOing it with Scizor. MixMence with Fire Blast can be a problem...

Scizor - Magnezone, do I need to say anymore?

Starmie - Scizor can switch into and Pursuit most Starmies with little risk to itself. the exception is Specs and LO Starmie which hit far too hard with Surf for Scizor to switch in, unless he can get in on a resisted hit. Latias can also revenge kill it with Thunderbolt.

Togekiss - Togekiss is pretty annoying but after it has been paralyzed it becomes a piece of cake to get rid of using either Magnezone or Jirachi, both resisting Air Slash and have Substitute to avoid Thunder Wave.

Tyranitar - Already mentioned it above.

Weavile - Weavile is easily one of my favorite Pokemon for my team to go up against. Not only do Heatran, Magnezone, and Scizor resist both of its STABs( Jirachi being neutral to Dark), but it gives a ton of time to set up Substitutes or just plain KO it with Scizor. Weavile is a joke, seriously.

Yanmega- Haven't seen one of these in OU ever but if I ever did I probably would just go ahead and do something that involves weakening it and then KOing it with Scizor. I really don't feel like looking up what moves it normally uses, I guess I will have to learn hands on!

Zapdos - Also mentioned above.

So that's my team. Despite the fact that it was kind of thrown together, it has worked really well on the ladder on Shoddy. It had very nice synergy and does a good job at eliminating most threats. I look forward to reading your suggestions and critiques. Thank you in advance!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I see a fee weaknesses in this team which I'll address later, as I have maths tutoring now. I think you definitely need Fire Punch somewhere on Jira as you have a 70% chance pretty much of beating Lucario with Gengar as it stands. The popular Pursuit also removes Latias, which is pretty much your only check to DDGyara (who sets up on even specstran rather easily and hurts your team immensely. I have a few ideas to remedy this but as I said Im short of time and I'll come back later. Pretty good team though, and where on earth did you get those sprites, they are nothing short of amazing!!

well first off i really like the team, they seem to have good synnergy together.

Jirachi is a great pokemon and i use a scarfless body slam flinch set too, however the reflect on your team is fairly unnecessary. Sizor, Magnezone, and probably jirachi dont need it as they have fairly high defence. i would suggest to run fire punch over it so you arent totally walled by steel types.(although you can probably just go to magnezone). and if you dont like that, then running wish on it can give you some needed team healing an a chance for it to stay around longer... finally if u really like it how it is use light screen instead as that is your teams weaker defence.

also scizor says 6 evs in speed, i hope you meant 8.

lastly, you might try to switch out one of you steel types for a fire resisit because if heatran dies as a lead, you team will be hard pressed to stop a scarphlosion or heatran..., if u really like your 4 steel types try empoleon over jirachi as it seems he doesnt do uch for the synnergy

very good team overall steel is a great type though so many leave you open to predictable fire attcks without much to stop it

The pictures were not done by me. I saw them in another RMT here and were the pretty much the only reason I decided to do another RMT (My other one got absolutely no help). I kind of wrote it for myself in a sense so that I can get a more in depth look at my own party, since it is so new. The pictures gave me the last push to write this RMT despite the failure that was my last RMT.

I'm working on my threat list as I write this, it should be done in another half an hour.

It would appear someone didn't sensor that Jirachi...

This team has a somewhat big weakness to DD Gyarados carrying Earthquake who is only really threatened by your Latias. As such, I would switch Gengar with Rotom-C.
Rotom-H@Leftovers
240 HP / 180 Def / 88 Spe Bold
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Overheat
-Will-O-Wisp
With this spread, he can come in on Gyarados on the DD and threaten with an easy OHKO thunderbolt. In return, LO jolly 252Atk Gyarados hits for average 65% with +1Waterfall. This Rotom also has a 94% chance of surviving 2 Waterfalls from LO jolly 252Atk Gyarados without Dragon Dances. Shadow Ball for stab and Overheat for Adamant Scizor, who is outrun with this speed investment.

Thank you for the help ARandomDude, but the problem with my team right now is really not Gyarados. Today I was playing a game and I accidentally let Gyarados get 2 Dragon Dances and I still managed to outspeed and KO. Not to mention the fact that If I did switch to Rotom I would gain an even bigger Tyranitar weakness. Plus I don't need Rotom to counter Scizor when I have Magnezone on the same team. As for taking hits from Gyarados, any prior damage (ie. a bullet punch from Scizor plus SR for the two times it came in) means that Rotom would be killed by Gyarados if it hits it as it switches in. Not to mention they could always switch out and sweep later. Gengar on the other hand gives me a powerful mid game semi sweeper that can not only dish out alot of damage but draw in the Scizor and then have it killed by Magnezone, allowing Gengar to sweep more easily.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
wow, this looks like a very cool team. nice synergy, no hugely glaring weaknesses, and most of the big name threats have multiple checks. you also have that nice presentation, and i like rmts that are easy on the eyes!! ok, so here is your team, but what is it exactly trying to accomplish? the way i see it is this, you get off to a fast start with heatran from turn 1, having key early momentum. from there you get out the correct threat out on their many resistances and just break down the opponent systematically. i am going to see if i can help you do this better than you do currently. to have an offense team, you need a solid check to all the top threats in the game. you do this well, but i see some things that could give you trouble. the first of which, and probably the most threatening is heatran. all your opponent has to do is click fire blast every time, then switch out when latias comes in. next time he comes in, you're swept. the two checks you have are not very good ones-heatran is ohkoed by an earth power, and it is not a hard feat to catch your heatran on the switch.. your latias takes a beating from stealth rock damage, repeated fire blasts, and possibly sandstorm. if they catch latias in on the switch with a dragon pulse...you are royally screwed. to remedy this, i feel that a bulky water somewhere would be a nice addition to this team. vaporeon, specifically. she can heal herself with wish and protect, as well as stall out classic mixmences and possibly even a new mixmence with wish and protect. she gives you a nice gyarados check, and salamence who think you're running hidden power electric and try to dragon dance up in your face get met with a swift ice beam. she fixes up your heatran weakness nicely as well. and as you said, latias is really holding the team together with her plethora of resistances, vaporeon takes some of the pressure off of her with the possibility of a wish pass. the only problem is that you need to take out a pokemon to put one in. i suggest placing it over gengar. although gengar can hit ridiculously hard, she doesn't seem to do much but get in a couple hits then die. i realize this opens you up to lucario even more, but i will fix that.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Protect
---

now, as stated before, placing vaporeon over gengar opens you up to lucario. a simple way to handle this is to change the type of jirachi you use. right now, i really dislike the current version. my suggestion is a defensive jirachi with enough speed to beat adamant lucario. thunder wave and iron head pretty much ensures the opponent will go "FUCK YOU" once in the match. jirachi also gives you something that every team needs, but yours seems to lack-stealth rock. stealth rock is key to wearing down salamence, gyarados, and all their rock weak friends. the best part about running a jirachi is that it is so unpredictable! you can fake a calm mind set, scarf, jirachi has so many options. jirachi also has the ability to pull of any set it chooses extremely well, and that is a great quality. nice stats, great typing, amazing movepool. this set is very bulky, and takes hits like a champ. you exchange some power for bulk-a fair trade off in my opinion. i really think that a change in jirachi set will help out your team bunches.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
---

i agree with bad ass here, the vappy is a great idea, although i would use an even more defensive jirachi, say:

Jirachi @ leftovers
ability: serene grace
nature: Impish (+def -spe)
evs: 240HP /160DEF /76 SPCD /32SPE
-Iron head
-Fire punch
-Wish/ stealth rock
-body slam

i have been using this set extremely effectively on shoddy and it is very bulky...
the speed evs Bad Ass suggests are unnessecary as after 1 turn maybe 2, you will be faster than anything and because of the lower speed evs, you can be more bulky and take around 35% from lucario, not even a 3HKO with lefties. these speed evs are to outspeed all t-tar and magnezone ot scarfed. wish is amazind as it allows you to kill lucario and be healthy for the next opponent.

a great set IMO but do as you^please. its still a good team

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
koolio, the whole point of the speed evs is to not get completely raped by lucario. i do enjoy that set, but that opens him up to lucario even more than he is at the moment.

please make your specstran modest. I've used it as a lead countless times in the past 2 months and modest is always better. you want to able to always OHKO 252/88 hippowdon with overheat and just hit everything harder in general. the speed granted by timid hardly helps on a set like this.

I am really liking the idea presented by both Stallion and Bad Ass. I would not really mind switching some Attack EVs over to speed so that I can get the jump on Lucario and never let it sweep me. The thing I enjoy about Jirachi is how bulky it is, so if it can retain that while checking a large threat then I am all for it! As for my Heatran weakness, I know it's easy for it to hurt my team but I feel that taking out Gengar would really hurt my team synergy wise. As it stands Heatran can't come in safely to any of my Pokemon (Earthpower, Body Slam, Surf, Superpower, Focus Blast, and Thunderwave in order), in other words Heatran can only come in after I KO something. So what does that mean? I can take advantage and either make a strategic switch to force him out again, or sacrifice something to bring in a threat. Depending on which of my Pokemon is out at the time Heatran will be more inclined to attack super effectively (he won't use Earth Power on Latias) and that gives me the advantage again. Latias can take Earth Powers as can Gengar, Heatran and Latias to a lesser extent can take Fire Blasts, and Jirachi, Heatran, Scizor, and Magnezone (if it is Scarfed it is dead at that point) can come in and force it out. Although it's a weird way of dealing with Heatran, it has worked for me in my past battles with this team. Most of the time I don't even need to do that as I can often paralyze or actually KO him on the switch.

I think you would be better off using the standard lead Heatran with HP Grass in place of Explosion. Not only does it provide your team with sr, but it still beats most of the leads you were beating before. I would at least try it out because the lack of sr makes Salamence a much bigger threat to this team as nothing can safley switch-in and revenge killing isn't very reliable as your opponent can always switch out and threaten your team latter on.

I still see a bit of a Lucario weakness. Jirachi really should have Fire Punch and enough speed to outrun Luke. SD Lucario with Bullet Punch is the biggest threat right now imo, despite how uncommon he is, with Gengar being so common, people may start using him again. Even a set with Crunch can cause problems, since you rely on Focus Blast to beat Lucario which is pretty risky. The Jirachi Bad Ass mentioned should be considered over the one you have as it will help deal with Lucario. Heatran, especially Sub Tran with Toxic is going to cause quite some trouble. You have no safe switch, Latias and Gengar are the only poke not hit for SE damage though Gengar is still getting KOed while Lati is poisoned.​

As it stands Heatran can't come in safely to any of my Pokemon (Earthpower, Body Slam, Surf, Superpower, Focus Blast, and Thunderwave in order)
But you have two choiced pokemon, both of whome have moves that do very little damage to Tran. He can switch-in and force a switch. This would put you in a position where you can't use Lati and Scizor to the fullest in fear of Heatran messing up your tempo. I don't think playing around something so deadly is the best way to go, predicting attacks works early game but it leads to mind games once your opponent has an idea of your team. I would definatley consider Vaporeon as an option or you can try Gyarados to not only serve as a check to Heatran, but also take status and counter major sweepers such as Lucario, and Infernape.

Gyarados@ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SDef
-Waterfall
-Roar
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Lucario, and Heatran shouldn't be able to threaten your team very much with Gyarados being able to sponge their hits. Rest lets it act as your status absorber which is useful in most cases as is roar which your team currently lacks. It doesn't provide wish support unlike Vappy, but it does help dealing with Heatran and Lucario as well physically based Infernape who threatens your team a bit but to a lesser level. Waterfall is just for STAB and still does quite a bit of damage due to Gyara's high attacks.

Good Luck

I also think that I forgot to mention that I was trying to have Stealth Rock damage to a minimum, and inadvertently also made my team completely immune to Toxic Spikes. As for the suggestion, adding Gyarados would be alright but having to deal with SR damage is just frustrating, especially if it has to keep switching in to wall Heatran.

But you have two choiced pokemon, both of whome have moves that do very little damage to Tran. He can switch-in and force a switch. This would put you in a position where you can't use Lati and Scizor to the fullest in fear of Heatran messing up your tempo.
Scizor for the most part is using U-turn, which will let me bring in the appropriate Pokemon for the job (ie. Gengar for non-Scarf versions or Latias for the Scarf versions (which by the way basically force them to use Dragon Pulse because Latias is immune to Earth Power and resists Fire Blast)). As for it coming in on Latias, you mean to say that it might come in on a Draco Meteor? My decision would be based on the said Heatran and if Magnezone has been revealed, but I really don't want to go into specifics at this time of night.

Does it require me to play around Heatran? Yes it does. Does it warrant a change in in Pokemon? I don't think so. This team has it's ways around Heatran and I do mess up occasionally. But that is the beauty of having great synergy, I have multiple Pokemon that can come in a force it out, depending on the situation of course.

This team often finds itself taking care of threats that would normally rip this team a new one. For example, AgiliGross. This guy can get an Agility relatively easily and afterwards can KO alot of my team with Earthquake and Meteor Mash. So what do I do? First thing I do when I see Metagross come in on a resisted attack is go straight to Magnezone as they use Agility. Next step is to go back to Latias while they use Earthquake. The next step is to use Trick and get Metagross stuck on either Meteor Mash or Ice Punch, usually Meteor Mash though (Latias survives). The next step is back to Magnezone who easily sets up a Substitute and KOs Metagross while he is stuck on a NVE move, effectively giving me either another free Thunder Wave or a free KO with Explosion.

Could I just add Rotom and get it over with? Of course I could, but I can already take care of Metagross and Heatran with the team as is. Why change that?

As for Jirachi, it seems like a good change. That way I dont have to risk my Gengar trying to KO Lucario.

Having played this team, I say that Lucario and Salamence (especially bulkymence) are your main enemies. Your counters to them, Gengar and Scarf Latias respectively, are both killed by Pursuit. Once one of them go own, the rest of your team is swept clean by one of those.

Making Jirachi faster is a good start, to kill Adamant Lucario. Jolly is a smaller problem. Salamence is mostly covered by Scizor I suppose, but a bulkMence can sweep after 2 DDs, so you must be careful not to give him that. And if he gets stuck into Outrage, Magnezone can hit him hard too.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Hello.

I second a faster Jirachi set. Looking at your threat list, you have troubles with Sub CM Rachi / Zapdos / Cune / Swampert / Mamoswine / Lucario and all of the above problems can be solved by using a fast Mixed Jirachi set. Mix Jirachi is excellent because it can feign Choice Scarf, a common Jirachi set, and smash pokemon thinking they can set up or get a free turn. For example, Swampert loves to come in on Iron Head / Fire Punch, or Substitute like your current set. With Mix Jirachi Swampert switches into Iron Head / Fire Punch / Ice Punch only to be hit with a 4x effective Grass Knot to finish it off. Thanks to the Extreme Speed resistance you can also check Lucario if it has had a defense drop previously. Slow MixMence is OHKO'd by Ice Punch and most Naive MixMence only chose to run 176 Speed, and Jirachi outpaces that. Sub CM Jirachi gets 2-3HKO'd by Fire Punch depending on what move you switch into and offensive Zapdos is OHKO'd by Iron Head -> Ice Punch with Stealth Rock out.

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Fire Punch
- Grass Knot
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head

Next off, I think you should use Explosion on Gengar. Explosion Gengar + Explosion Magnezone is an excellent way to break stall as either can sweep once you kill Blissey with Explosion. Gengar is more inclined to draw Blissey against stall though as the popular Rotom-a walls Magnezone effortlessly. Scarf Latias will also enjoy Blissey out of the way and can instead Trick the Scarf onto Gyarados or Forretress.

Overall solid team, excellent presentation. 5 stars.

hmm theres not much that the other raters have not mentioned, but you do have quite a magnezone weakness, as its capable of revenge killing 3 of your steels, 4 including your own magnezone if it carries HP fire, it can quickly dispatch heatran if its locked into HPgrass or dragon pulse, resists both of jirachi's moves, and can come in on scizors BP or pursuit, again, if it has HPfire it beats your magnezone as well

if i had to change something to remedy this it would be jirachi. your team doesnt need reflect and you have 3 other steels to take ice and dragon attacks. this set isnt really doing much besides harrassing the opponent, and it doesnt help the team with wish

here i would put a tyranitar
Tyranitar@Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Substitute
Focus Punch
Earthquake
Crunch/Fire Punch

This tyranitar is a great way to break stall, especially blissey, scizor right now is your only real way to beat bliss, unless you trick a scarf from latias. This also checks latias gengar etc who fear a pursuit, and lucario fears switching into this on pain of death. fire punch counters scizor, though you can just as easily go to magnezone

If you dont like sand stream/this things speed, try the offensive zapdos set on the analysis (with HPgrass) he checks lucario without being scizor weak (and actually beats scizor), beats swampert, magnezone, and a lot of other stuff

Tyranitar only makes this team weaker to Lucario. I think Magnezone isn't as big of an issue as you think boredom, as Scarfzone absolutely does not appreciate being paralyzed, and both Magnezone and Jirachi can paralyze it. For scizor, Magnezone is something one must live with. And Magnezone switching into Heatran is always risky business.

Go with a faster Jirachi set.

Thank you very much for all the excellent help you guys have provided. I have also made the change from Timid to Modest on Heatran, allowing me to get a OHKO on Empoleon leads with Earth Power.

Which move should I drop from Gengar for Explosion? Hypnosis has been pretty valuable, getting me out of some tricky situations, yet Thunderbolt adds to the already amazing coverage that Shadow Ball and Focus Blast have. Either could go I suppose, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about the change.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Thank you very much for all the excellent help you guys have provided. I have also made the change from Timid to Modest on Heatran, allowing me to get a OHKO on Empoleon leads with Earth Power.

Which move should I drop from Gengar for Explosion? Hypnosis has been pretty valuable, getting me out of some tricky situations, yet Thunderbolt adds to the already amazing coverage that Shadow Ball and Focus Blast have. Either could go I suppose, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about the change.
I feel that Hypnosis is the most replaceable as its accuracy is only 60 (i think) percent. I've used Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Explosion Gengar in conjunction with Latias before and absolutely loved the results.

Also those pictures are excellent.

Thank you. I was thinking percentage wise, Thunderbolt was going to be far more benificial over a larger amount of matches. As for the pictures, thank you. I kind of wish that they wouldn't become so used so quickly (there were three RMTs yesterday using them). I think I'm going to draw my own next time. ^_^

By the way august, congratulations on that joint RMT you did. I won't pretend I know anything about UU, but apparently it's doing very well so congratulations!

Mixed Jirachi has been great for my team! It has a nice surprise factor and has gotten me out of several tricky situations. Not to mention I can KO Salamence now before he gets his Dragon Dance up, where as before I would have to revenge kill him. It is a wonderful addition to my team.

Yeah I recommend putting Explosion over Hypnosis, and run a Naive nature so that you can blast Blissey to hell, which allows Latias/Magnezone to have a much easier time. Hypnosis accuracy is very disappointing too.

Go back to Timid on Specstran; most lead Empoleon run Sash anyway.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Modest on SpecsTran is needed to KO Hippo with Overheat, so don't change that. And yeah I think fitting in a Rotom there would be very beneficial, because your only Agiligross check is Pursuit bait. You're not guaranteed to have Latias left alive lategame, so it will probably help most to sub Gengar out. I'd go SubRotom, it is usually Pursuit bait, but HP fighting 3HKOes Tyranitar, and 2HKOes even 252/252 spdef versions with a charge beam boost, and helps maintain the stall busting exploits that Gengar possesses. I'm happy with your change to Expert Belt Jirachi too, it has great synergy and checks alot of threats to your team. Anyway there's not much else I can consider changing without ruining your team, so nice work and gl with it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)