Team Attention Grabbing Name (Weatherless)

Introduction

Hi everyone.
I had always been a weather player. In Gen IV I had a hail stall team, and in BW1, a rain stall team (which did quite well, getting me in the top 10 I think). I took a break from Pokemon for a while, and came back to find that there were new threats my teams couldn't handle. I made a whole bunch of teams, experimenting with all the weathers, but none brought me much success. Then I thought of trying something different, and going weatherless. After much tweaking, this is the team that has brought me some satisfaction at last.

Overview

In depth

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP | 252 Sp Def | 8 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk

- Toxic
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Heatran is the first member of my FWG defensive core. I'm running the standard Specially Defensive set here. With its multiple resistances, Heatran can check many Pokemon. Often, I will toxic the switch in. Protect helps to scout moves and rack up poison damage. Lava plume hits steels not affected by toxic and also prevents me from being taunt bait. The burn rate can come in handy at times too. Roar helps me get rid of set up sweepers or those that set subs up. It also helps accumulate hazard damage. 0 Atk IVs to minimise confusion and foul play damage.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk

- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Ice Beam

The W of my FWG core. This thing is as bulky as *insert someone's mum's name here*. It takes around 70% from CB Scizor's U-turn, then Slacks Off the damage, before switching out the next turn to an appropriate counter. Slowbro will be at full health, and I have the advantage in the current matchup. Toxic is self explanatory, and Slack Off makes it nearly impossible to take down on the physical side. Eventually, most physical attackers will succumb to toxic damage. Scald is my only way of dealing with steels, and the burn chance is extremely useful too. Ice beam hits those dragons which Slowbro tanks hits from. I did try Psychic, but found the coverage to be poor, although there were times I wish I could do something to Tentacruel.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP | 88 Def | 168 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe

- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

I don't particularly like durian, but I have to say I love Ferrothorn (unless it's on the opponent's team). Standard EVs from Smogon. 0 Spe IVs to maximise Gyro Ball's Power. Spikes are a great hazard, especially with multiple layers up. Leech Seed helps to force switches and also gains me some health back. It is great in wearing down those rapid spinners. I'll continually throw spikes and leech seed, while the combination of Iron Barbs and Leech Seed whittles away at their health. As for Power Whip, I'm not too sure about it. I hardly ever use it, but I know it can be useful against the water types Ferrothorn often switches into. However, having Stealth Rock would relieve the pressure off Mamoswine to lay it down. On the other hand, Gyro ball is amazing. Does loads of damage to some common switch ins. I'm talking about you Espeon (and also a few others). Like Heatran, Ferrothorn's typing gives it an abundance of resistances. They share a fighting weakness, but Slowbro covers that pretty darn well.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 Def

- Stealth Rock / Superpower
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear

Just how beastly is this thing? Stealth Rock is my other hazard, though I'm considering giving that to Ferrothorn, and having Superpower instead to hit opposing Ferrothorn (again lol) harder, getting a 2hko, instead of the 3 hko with earthquake, unless of course, I get leech seeded, and Ferrothorn has protect. Stealth Rocks is arguable the best hazard, damaging everything. Apart from that, Earthquake does a whole lot of damage to those that don't resist or are immune to it, coming off Mamoswine's great base attack. Ice Shard was the main reason I picked Mamoswine though, as it allows simple revenge kills on Dragons and Landorus. Icicle Spear is for those Gliscors behind subs who think they can toxic me first before they switch out the next turn, and Multiscale Dragonite too.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 HP

- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Low Sweep

I felt that my team needed an answer to Jellicent, so I brought in Breloom. Mach Punch is another useful priority move on this team, and with the Technician boost, is really powerful. Bullet seed as I said, is to get rid of the pesky Jellicent. Low Sweep is wonderful as I hit the opponent's switch in. Things like Latios and co. do not appreciate the speed drop. Now that I can outspeed the opponent, I can put them to sleep with Spore if it is something I cannot handle. While Breloom is indeed powerful, I often find that it doesn't do as much as I hope, since fighting and grass don't exactly provide great coverage. Its frail defenses don't exactly help much either.
I've received a suggestion to replace it with Lucario that has crunch.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 Atk
IVs: 2 Spe

I love this thing, especially when it comes in on something which has Dragon Danced a couple of times. It functions as a pretty decent revenge killer, as long as my opponent does not have a sub up. The EVs only matter for HP, but in the freak case of Ditto vs Ditto, and both are the last pokemon, Def EVs let it take less from Struggle. The speed IVs allow for max powered HP Ice, while being as slow as possible.​

One last glance at the team

Things which annoy me

None of my team can take both Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse and Focus Blast. They fall to one or the other.

Specifically, the Sub-DD set is the killer one, as I can't really do much to it.

Magic Bounce? Ugh. No need to say more.

Conclusion

I'm having fun with this team at the moment. As mentioned above, there is a weakness to Special Attackers with a combination of both Fighting and Dark/Ghost attacks. Once Slowbro is gone, my team is also quite weak to fighting. Additionally, I don't really like hazards, especially toxic spikes, but I don't know where to fit in a spinner. Other than that, the team has been working pretty well for me. Hopefully some of you will be able to suggest improvements that can be made. Thanks for reading! :heart:

Fire

Nice team, but a Sun team can kill the whole team:
Ninetales takes Ferro, Breloom, Mamo.
As for Heatran, nailed by a Dugtrio Arena Trap
That leaves Ditto which is hit by Ninetales followed by Dugtrio Arena Trap

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Hey there! This is a nice weatherless team, and I appreciate the usage in this weather dominated metagame. A quick first look, and the team seems very solid. However, the Sun weakness if Heatran is dispatched quickly reveals itself, and also I note the weakness to the aforementioned threats you found yourself. To solve this problem and deal with Psychic attackers with their excellent coverage, I'd like to recommend Choice Scarf Latias. The reason I recommend Latias is due to its high Speed, which allows you to outspeed Modest Venusaur under the sun, while having huge 130 bulk. This huge bulk allows you to take most special attacks, even if the stat is uninvested, while 110 SpA is still excellent. Latias over Latios is due to the fact that Latias can also deal with Keldeo and Landorus, shrug off Sludge Bomb from Venusaur, and take the excellent Psychic/Fighting coverage easily. Comparatively, Ditto can turn out to be relatively useless against certain teams, such as stall, while Latias can Trick its Scarf off to an opposing team member, essentially rendering it useless. The set I suggest is this:

Latias @Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf/Thunderbolt
-Trick

I am suggesting Thunderbolt here for the sole reason to take out SubDD Gyarados, if it is as big a problem as you stated. If it isn't then just keep Surf on it to deal with random stuff.

I like Specially Defensive Heatran, but there is an edit I would like to make to it. I suggest tweaking the set to raise the Speed by 160 EVs. This allows you to outspeed Scizor running Adamant nature and max Speed EVs. This spread is oftentimes found on Swords Dance Scizor, who can be rather annoying to face. With this change in mind, the spread can be further tweaked: 204 HP / 144 SpD / 160 Spe. This HP number is a Leftovers number, so you can dump the rest of the EVs into SpD. Overall, this is a very solid team, and I hope I helped! Good luck!

Tl;dr
Choice Scarf Latias > Ditto
New EV spread on Heatran

Thanks for pointing out the sun weakness. I like the look of that Heatran spread, and I'll try out that latias set later today

Not much of a rate but to fix your sun weakness, you can add a shed shell to Heatran. Also, Low Sweep on Breloom does not seem that helpful. You have Mamoswine for Latios as well as Forretress, I think Swords Dance would be more beneficial as it gives you more chances to sweep and overall makes Breloom more deadly. Slowbro also seems sort of out of place on your team, it's hard to run a weatherless balanced team with little sweeping potential. If you want to maintain the FGW core I would try out Starmie. It can check almost every threat you listed. I would use this set.

@ Leftovers

Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Rapid Spin and Psychic are options in there. This just gives you some survivability like Slowbro had, in addition you can now check Gengar, Gyarados, Hydreigon, and revenge kill Chandelure if it doesn't have a substitute up.

I hope this helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)