Talons and T-Waves [OU Paralysis-Abuse Team]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get a cookie if you know what the title alludes to

ɹǝʇʇod ʎɹɹɐɥ uı ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ ɐ ɟo ǝɯɐu ǝɥʇ :ɹǝʍsuɐ

I had originally posted this topic accidently while writing it up. I tried to edit in the rest of the team, but it was taking to long, so here I am reposting in this team in its full glory.

Right. I believe that Thunder Wave is one of the best moves in Pokemon. Though its more famous for its primary effect, to immobilize the opponent, the reason it is so great is because of the 75% Speed reduction. What does this mean? High-octane attackers that would otherwise be a tad slow in most situations are now blazingly faster than their crippled opponents. This is my best team yet; sadly, I was never too good anyway :toast:. I have a deep weakness to Toxic Spikes and I have trouble breaking stall teams with Spiritomb or Dusknoir. I digress; the team was originally centered around making Choice Specs Lucario sweep, but Machamp seems to do more work. Not that I mind; I like Machamp, and he gets the job done. But without further ado, I present to you:

Team Talons and T-Waves:

The Lead:
Orion
the Uxie

@ Choice Scarf
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SpA)

• [*]Trick
    Trick is great to cripple bulky leads such as Hippowdon and Swampert; Trick isn't usually used on Azelf leads, so often-times I can get a Scarf on my opponent more easily.
    [*]Thunder Wave
    At the other end of the spectrum, there are the quick, powerful suicide leads that try to get up rocks and then go out with a bang (often quite literally). Thunder Wave slows them down so that other members of team can make quick work of them.
    [*]Stealth Rock
    Stealth Rock is a staple on any team and there's no exception here. Stealth Rock provides much help in wearing down opponents that would otherwise threaten my team far more serverely. Stealth Rock also negates sashes and blah blah blah... we all know enough about Stealth Rock.
    [*]U-turn
    Basic scouting. U-turn is also my best option against Tyranitar leads, helps against SubSeed Breloom (and other Substitute-users) and helps me get switch-ins for the frailer members of my team, I.E. Lucario.

Why this pokemon?

Well, first off, there's deception. The main reason that this Azelf lead does it's job successfully is because the bog standard Azelf lead only has one thing in common with my Azelf: Stealth Rock, and that's not even my first priority. The only reason I don't use Jirachi to do this job is that I feel Trick is much more predictable on Jirachi. Also, I need to use Body Slam over T-Wave on Jirachi because I need to be able to paralyze certain pokemon that are immune to T-Wave (Jolteon's a punk). You may be thinking, Mesprit / Uxie outclasses Azelf for this job due to their bulk; but this brings me to the last reason I use Azelf: it's blazing fast. That might not make much sense but when I'm forced into a corner being able to get off a T-Wave faster than, say, MixMence can attack is invaluable. But perhaps you could convince me otherwise :3.

Synergy:

Dark goes to
Lucario (4x Resist), Machamp (2x Resist).
Ghost goes to Lucario (2x Resist). =/.
Bug goes toRotom-H (2x Resist), Machamp (2x Resist), Lucario (4x Resist).

The Core:

Betelgeuse
the Machamp

@ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)

• [*]Rest
    Tired...
    [*]Sleep Talk
    Sleep Talk Machamp. This works wonders for taking status that would otherwise plague my team, and the Rest Talk combo means that Machamp can switch in to Blissey with imputiny almost everytime (bar critcal hits and Seismic Toss on low health.) Machamp also makes a good candidate for Rest Talk due to his incredible bulk; you wouldn't believe the things that Machamp survives. Rest Talk allows Machamp to use his bulkiness to full potential. More on this in "Why this pokemon?" section.
    [*]DynamicPunch
    Never-miss, 100% Confuse Rate, 100 Base Power STAB move, all coming off of a healthy 394 Attack stat. And if DynamicPunch's confuse rate wasn't annoying enough, you can have the pleasure of potentially being both paralyzed and confused. Under those conditions, my opponent has a paltry 37.5% chance to attack. Yes, this team is quite evil :nerd:
    [*]Payback
    Payback has been a mixed-bag. It helps on Rotom-A, Starmie, and co., as well as hitting every OU pokemon save Heracross (who is nowhere to be seen these days) for neutral damage or better. However, Paralyzed opponents are almost always going to be slower than Machamp, so Payback is only going to have 50 base power against those foes. HALP PLOZ

Why this pokemon?
As I had mentioned earlier, this team was originally about making Choice Specs Lucario sweep. However, fat pink women often stand in way of sweep, so big strong blue man is here to move her away. Right, Machamp is, in my opinion, the best Blissey switch in the game. With Rest / Sleep Talk, he takes status from Bliss like a Champ (God that was awful), he can stand up to her weak Ice Beams and Flamethrowers with ease, and immediately threatens her with a STAB super-effective DynamicPunch. Machamp is like crazy glue for almost any team because he can take status for your teammates and, due to being the 'best Bliss switch-in', he can support that special sweeper of yours tremendously. And in this case, that special sweeper would be Lucario. In short, Machamp is a sort of all-purpose pokemon; he's bulky enough to stand up to most attacks; he's strong enough to deal heavy hits to the opponent; and he has the move pool to support your team through DynamicPunch's confusion and his status-absorbing abilities. Machamp is one of my favorite pokemons.

Synergy:
Flying goes to Jirachi (2x Resist), Rotom-H (2x Resist).
Psychic goes to Jirachi (4x Resist), Azelf (2x Resist).

Alpha Centauri
the Jirachi

@ Leftovers
240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)

• [*]Wish
    Wish is another great move that I wanted to incorporate on this team. Kingdra and Rotom are the primary receivers of Wishes, with the former meeting Jirachi's 2x Weakness to Fire-type attacks with 4x Resistance, and the latter meeting Jirachi's 2x Weakness to Ground type attacks with an immunity. Outside of leftovers, these pokemon lack any form of recovery (which is often negated by Sandstorm) and so they get much help from the support (especially Kingdra, who is often lowering her own health with Substitute).
    [*]U-turn
    Basic scouting. Also helps against SubSeed Breloom (and other Substitute-users) and helps me get switch-ins for the frailer members of my team, I.E. Lucario. If I outspeed my opponent, I use U-turn instead of switching; unless I'd prefer to let Jirachi take the damage so that the next Pokemon comes in unscathed.
    [*]Body Slam
    Part 2/3 of my paralysis support. This is very important because without Body Slam I'd be unable to paralyze Ground-types / Volt Absorbers (Jolteon) / Motor Drivers (Electivire). Body Slam has a handy 60% paralysis rate; sadly, teh hax gods have not been smiling their haxy smile of hax upon me lately. Nonetheless, Body Slam stays!
    [*]Iron Head
    Obligatory STAB, and I can employ the Paraflinch combo if I'm caught in a bad situation. Fun fact: If a pokemon happened to be confused from Machamp, Paralyzed at some point earlier in the match, and was taking Iron Heads (INNUENDO) from Jirachi, that pokemon has a 15% chance of attacking. Woohoo!

Why this pokemon?

The main reason I have Jirachi on this team is because of his access to Serene Grace Body Slam. Like I said before, there are certain pokemon that are immune to Thunder Wave - Grounds / Volt Absorbers (Jolteon) / Motor Drivers (Electivire) - and in many cases these pokemon are standing in the way of victory. The biggest threat on this list is Jolteon; more specifically, the Choice Specs variant. Jolteon is blindingly fast and can inflict huge damage with Specs equipped. Jirachi's Body Slam is my no. 1 way of getting around this problem. Besides Paralyzing T-Wave immune opponents, Jirachi also contributes to the team with his nice typing, Wish support, U-turn scouting, and bulk.

Polaris
the Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)