Tables in Trade Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
With so many people in this community managing threads that are more conducive to "shopping" than standard forum-like conversation, it seems like there should be formatting options tailored to that kind of forum use. The ability to use tables would consolidate info, speed up trade thread browsing, and be more space-efficient for all of our computer screens. This feature, however, is conspicuously absent from Smogon and practically all other Pokemon trade forums on the Internet. I wrote some simple and quick code as an example of what I mean to pitch:

Thread Example

Despite some of wonderful formatting things I've seen people do under the limitations we currently have, tables would undeniably make threads easier to read compared to the bulky trade threads we have now. I don't know what sort of formatting problems enabling HTML might cause for you admins, but I think it would be worth having at least some option to use tables in posts. If giving users full HTML power is an issue, another idea is to give users access to a very simple WYSIWYG table editor that restricts tables and table use accordingly.

Has the tabling option been reasonably explored and dismissed in the past or is it possible to implement this idea?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This isn't that bad of an idea. VB tables are difficult to use, but they exist and it's just a matter of installing a plugin. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Enabling HTML would be really dumb. I don't know if it's worth it or interesting to anyone who can manage plugins, but it can be done via bbcode. PokéCommunity has basic CSS and divs through bbcode.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
HTML is dumb, but you can use bbtables. Depending on how modified our VB is, adding it could take between 5 minutes and far, far too long...

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just because the OP has a distasteful design doesn't mean that the idea itself is a bad one; I for one think it's a great idea if it could be implemented in a reasonable amount of time, and would make trade threads quite a bit easier to read. The only problem is, as Chris is me said, is whether the time it takes to implement is worth it.

it cant be that hard can it i mean i stick to wifi most of the time and looking through all the cluttered threads nomatter how nice the layout is this is still better

Wow, iambaney
What format did you use for that table (WYSIWYG, HTML etc.), I personally agree that tables should be used.
It would also decrease space used, and you wouldnt need to double/triple/quadruple/quintriple/sextriple post to organize your trade thread

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It originally was I think, but almost no posts meet the picture limit now. Its more about organization and being able to edit what you need more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)