SPOILERS! Sword and Shield in-game team discussion thread

Well, okay, ignore Zacian then. What about all the others
Dragapult comes way to late in game to use and if you think of catching dreepy don't because it doesn't learn any good moves from leveling up and from TMs/TRs

Duraldon also comes late but pretty sure it's not as late as the Dragapult line other then that it's a pretty solid team

So I just beat Kabu. This is my team right now.

James Pond, a level 29 Drizzile
D'artagnan, a level 29 Drednaw (named after my pet tortoise)
Torchy, a level 29 Carkol
Henrietta, a level 29 Corvisquire
Apple Seed, a level 28 Applin
Valhallen, a level 29 Toxel (that is going to become an Amped Toxtricity)
Darkwing, a level 27 Sirfetch'd

While I kind of expected Toxel to be worthless because of its obvious baby motif, I'm surprised that Applin is much worse. Due to that, I cannot bench them or they'll otherwise lag behind when they evolve. That's why my Sirfetch'd is at a lower level than everyone else.

The team is marginally overleveled, and has been that way all the time so far, but not too much to make the game trivial.

I'm still missing four or five Pokémon on my final rotational party.

It was fun going into this game blind! Ended up using a slightly weird cobbled-together team without much synergy lol: Inteleon, Dubwool, Orbeetle, Falinks, Togekiss, Mamoswine.

Inteleon blasted through most of the early and mid-game, with its frailty and poor coverage getting exposed a bit in the late game. A fast Tearful Look makes lots of boss battles way more manageable though.

Fluffy Dubwool is so satisfying to use! It took physical attacks like they were nothing and neutered many scary threats with Thunder Wave. It’s stuck with Headbutt for too long though and Payback and Reversal aren’t the best coverage options. I’d definitely recommend a few raid battles to see if you can get TRs it’d like to have, like Body Press or Body Slam.

Orbeetle held its own throughout the game, transitioning from a support mon with crazy-early dual screens to a bulky and decently quick setup sweeper with Reflect+Calm Mind.

Despite its mediocre stats, Falinks tears through many late-game battles thanks to the crazy combo of No Retreat—>Dynamax—>Max Knuckle. Also it’s so cute aaaahh.

So; I beat the main game and endgame.

Firstly; my squad; which remained the same for both the Endgame/Postgame.

- Corviknight - Not stellar; but certainly a very solid pokemon

- Theifvul - Always my highest level despite me hardly using it. I just never found anything to fill it's role as a special attacking Dark-type. It got the jobs I wanted it to do [mostly Ghostbusting; which was good because I had Shield so Alistar] done.

- Vanilleux - Real powerhouse of the team, but god it's XP curve left it behind. I decided to use it because early Ice-types are not common in most games. Mine ended up with Snow Warning and blasting things with Blizzard.

- Gossifluer - Dropped my Grookey for this. It was great early but really fell off later when it's STAB choices were Magical Leaf or Leaf Storm [Drops Sp.Atk]. Still; Sing helped catch things; and it's ability helped in the final Hop fight.

- DracoVish - Firstly; you basically get this thing for free if you talk to people/look for items, since you get Fish+Dragon fossils right near the revival. It comes at Lv.10 tho so I stuffed candies into it. It's levelup pool is pretty awful [Dragonbreath and Water Gun as STAB's... on a physical attacker] but I gave it a Waterfall TR and just before the finals; Crunch as well.

It's typing is actually godly and this thing served as my raw power. It was also how I beat the final pokemon on the final Hop battle [Which is a rough fight because it's literally like a 6 level spike out of nowhere and he gets something busted on his team]

Falinks - A lategame addittion over my Hitmonlee, these little guys started off rather slow; with their best STAB being Revenge, First Impression and a Smart Strike TM. However, I made use of them in the Ice Gym with Dynamax to work around the negative prio.

Then they hit Lv50 and learnt Close Combat and became utter beasts. It's also worth noting that Fighting-type in general is great in the later game. You have a Rock/Ice Gym; followed by a Dark Gym; followed by a Dragon Gym that runs a Rock-type and has a Steel-type Ace and the endgame villians use predominantly Steel-types. Also Routes 8; 9 and 10 all are rather heavy on Ice-types. Seriously; Fighting-types in general are excellent for the endgame of Sword/Shield. Oh; and the postgame fights are VERY heavy on Steel-types too.

I'll say that there's three pretty rough fights in the game; I'll spoiler these in case people don't want endgame stuff:

First is Leon; simply by virtue of him being a level spike. The fights immediately before him cap out at Lv60. His Charizard is Lv 65. Oh; and Leon packs coverage. And has some really good pokemon in general. His one real weakness seems to be Dark-types; given he has no resists for it and 2 weaknesses. [Well; Ghost-types are the same; but Leon has 2 Ghosts himself so you're playing with fire there]

Second is Zacian. It's a Uber in the first place; comes with a +1 Atk immediately; and knows Swords Dance and has good coverage. Shield has this FAR worse because Sword can just Master Ball it [And there is absolutely 0 reason to not do so; there's nothing else to use it on]; while Shield players have to KO it and then it's in the final battle in it's empowered form.

Third is the Final Hop fight. Again, it's a level spike [~64 from the trainer before him -> 70]; but he has the empowered legendary that's not on the box. At the end of a full 6v6 battle. Again, this is FAR scarier in Shield because he gets Zacian; which gets an Atk boost, compared to Zamazenta in Sword who's a lot less threatening due to only getting a Def boost. Zacian has Base 170 Atk; gets a free +1 Atk; and has Base 148 speed so you're not outrunning it with ANYTHING [I had my Glossiflueur sacced just to slow it with it's ability]. Oh; and 720 BST. Zacian is kind of BS. Let alone a level-spiked Zacian with a full team behind it. Oh; and it knows Close Combat which it usually learns at Lv77. [And no; Hop clearly dosen't have time to use a TR on it]. But that's hardly the first time the AI cheats in these games; Alistar has an underleveled Cursola.

I'd also say the first postgame fight can catch you off-guard because it happens right after a Hop fight so if you're weakened by that it can be nasty.

Last edited:

Alstone

Banned deucer.
I think it's pretty cool that your rival gets a Legendary. Can you imagine if Gary caught one of the 3 birds or even Mewtwo when you battle him from the Game Boy games? That would be crazy!

Could someone tell me what sort of Pokémon are available before Gym 4 or 5?
There's almost everything available by that point. The only typing you'd lack in variety is Ice, as the route-only ice types are after gym 5, and in wild area you can only run in Avalugg, Vanillite and Obamasnow families.
Well, there's also quite a scarcity of dragons, I'm unsure if you can even run into any at all aside Axews and Trapinch.

I finally got through the main story and post-game fights.
My team had a lot of bad match-ups (and almost no coverage moves), but I managed to pull through.
(Cinderace, Dubwool, Corviknight, Gossifleur, Toxtricity, and Grimmsnarl)

I wasn't expecting my fluffy sheep to be so useful, but it ended up being the MVP in almost every match~!
I ended up having to rely on a lot of stall tactics during my playthrough, but it was kinda fun tanking hits with Fluffy + Cotton Guard x2, and Toxtricity's Toxic really saved my butt during some of the gym leader matches.

I used Rillaboom, Toxtricity, Corviknight, Coalossal, Barraskewda, Polteageist.

Rillaboom was fantastic, as were Toxtricity (after evolution) and Coalossal. Corviknight was solid if unspectacular. Polteageist was good, strength sap and will o wisp allow it to neuter any physical attacker, often winning 1v1 even with weak armour. Also a nuke once it learns shadow ball.
Barraskewda was underwhelming. It died to so many things, and ate so much exp it was almost always leading my party as I tried to have it keep up in levels.

At 5th gym with Rillaboom/Hitmonlee/Golisopod/Sylveon/Coalossal/Corvisquire

Thinking of swapping out Hitmonlee for something that can status, although Sylveons movepools pretty weak (Magical Leaf/Draining Kiss/Swift/Filler), so may see if there is something more suited for a special attacking role, maybe G-Weezing? Corvisquire is meh and mostly levelled up with Exp. Share until it learned Drill Peck.

Is anybody planning an ingame tier list topic for this gen? Should be fairly complex taking into account the existence of the Wild Area and the forced Exp Share.

I used Rillaboom, Toxtricity, Corviknight, Coalossal, Barraskewda, Polteageist.

Rillaboom was fantastic, as were Toxtricity (after evolution) and Coalossal. Corviknight was solid if unspectacular. Polteageist was good, strength sap and will o wisp allow it to neuter any physical attacker, often winning 1v1 even with weak armour. Also a nuke once it learns shadow ball.
Barraskewda was underwhelming. It died to so many things, and ate so much exp it was almost always leading my party as I tried to have it keep up in levels.
Our teams were surprisingly similar. For my first playthrough I always try to use new Pokemon only and have STAB super-effective moves for nearly every type.

Rillaboom: I concur, fantastic. Knock Off, Bulldoze, Drum Beating and Brick Break gave it some great coverage options
Toxitricity: Great offensive coverage for in game stuff and hits very hard once it learns a few key moves in the 40s range. Though admittedly, I added this for Fairy coverage, a lot of fairies in game either have a Psychic secondary type (or at least coverage) so for that reason I'd consider a strong steel type like Excadrill instead.
Coalossal: Very good offensive typing, but I felt its usefulness was hindered by it's slow speed stat. Helped a lot with the Fire and Ice gyms.
Corviknight: Unspectacular is a good way to put it. Amazing design but it mostly just sat in my party and mooched exp. I swapped later in the game for...
Sandaconda: Got way more use at the very end of the game. Coil/Glare/Rock Slide/Bulldoze with Shed Skin carried me through some end-game battles.
Barraskewda: Sat in my party, untouched, for half the game. Very frail and shallow level up movepool. I swapped for...
Polteaguist: Well, not really. I didn't get a Cracked Pot so Sinistea just sat in my party 100% unused throughout the game. Kinda sad about that, as I really was excited to use Polteaguist.
Rapidash: The last Pokemon in my team. It pulled its weight once it hit 49 and learned Dazzling Gleam (and I think 54 it learns Psychic). Kinda disappointed that it's primarily a physical attacked but it's best physical STAB moves are locked behind TR.

I'm thinking about buying Sword now and playing through it with a new team not limited to only new Pokemon. Right now I'm thinking Cinderace, Sirfetch'd, Mamoswine/Excadrill and Gyarados with the last two up for debate.

Just beaten Opal. If you can get a Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave TR and get it to a high enough level to learn Discharge, Toxtricity stomps all over her team.

For the road to Circhester, this is going to be my team:

Level 34 Coalossal
Level 35 Dracozolt
Level 35 Sirfetch'd
Level 35 Drednaw
Level 36 Flapple
Level 36 Arctozolt

On the bench:

Level 37 Sandaconda
Level 37 Inteleon
Level 37 Cramorant
Level 38 Corviknight
Level 38 Toxtricity

After some reconsideration, I've changed some ideas for my in-game team. (Plus signs are set team members.)

Inteleon +
Dubwool +
Galarian Rapidash
Goodra
Centiskorch
Cursola
Obstagoon
Alcremie
Polteageist
Boltund
Copperajah
Grapploct
I'm also wondering if I should wait because I like to make my in-game team half in-game, half competitive and the metagame is still being worked on.
EDIT: Forgot to mention I wanted some feedback on this.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna pick up Sword soon for a second playthrough and go with this team:
1) Cinderace
2) Mamoswine
3) Sirfetch'd
4) Gyarados
5) Bisharp
6) Flapple

Gives me STAB supereffective coverage versus every type and it uses some of my favorites.

Cinderace: Bug, Grass, Ice, Steel
Mamoswine: Poison, Electric, Rock, Flying, Ground, Dragon (seriously great offensive typing)
Sirfetch'd: Normal, Dark
Gyarados: Fire, Fighting
Bisharp: Psychic, Fairy, Ghost
Flapple: Water

Can someone please tell me what path you take in the game up to Gym 5, as spoiler-free as possible if necessary? I’ve been trying to determine what Pokémon you can catch before certain gym battles but I can’t make heads or tails of Serebii.com’s Pokearth for Galar.

Can someone please tell me what path you take in the game up to Gym 5, as spoiler-free as possible if necessary? I’ve been trying to determine what Pokémon you can catch before certain gym battles but I can’t make heads or tails of Serebii.com’s Pokearth for Galar.
You do the routes in numerical order, and are blocked from progressing onto routes after Gyms (except Gym 6 onwards iirc). The Wild area locations are sort of split into two "zones", but banking on catching thins in the wild area is probably not the best idea on the basis of weather changing the encounters so much. You might be able to enter the Glimwood Tangle between Gym 4 (Stow-on-side) and Gym 5 (Ballonlea) but i didn't try.

So effectively Route 1 - Wedgehurst - Route 2 -"South" Wild Area - Motostoke - Route 3 - Galar Mine #1 - Route 4 - Turfield [Gym 1] - Route 5 - Hulbury [Gym 2] - Galar Mine #2 -Motostoke Outskirts - Motostoke [Gym3] - Rest of WIld Area (Except Surf restricted areas like Lake Axew and Lake of Outrage) - Hammerlocke - Route 6 - Stow-on-Side [Gym4] - Glimwood Tangle - Ballonlea [Gym 5] ....

Last edited:
You might be able to enter the Glimwood Tangle between Gym 4 (Stow-on-side) and Gym 5 (Ballonlea) but i didn't try.
There's a Team yell guy blocking the way unfortunately if i remember correctly.
The only "free exploration" is basically the wild area, rest is pretty much story-gated
(And while the sleeping wooloo wall is the most adorable roadblock ever designed, I have to say Team Yell is very wholesome in preserving other pokemon's sleep by yelling in front of them)

Seeing as this thread is a thing, I might as well post my end team here. I planned this before the game was released. The team I used is pretty sluggish when it comes to speed but most of the members have decent or great bulk. My claim is that you can beat the game even with a team like this. Alrighty then...

Rillaboom — Most of my friends and I agreed that this mon is very clutch. So much so that it lived a +3 sacred sword from the Zacian I had to fight in Shield (It had less than 20 HP remaining, idk if that’s a roll). Its speed is decent compared to the rest of the party and Drum Beating helps it with faster threats. I am glad that I joined Grookey Gang!

Corviknight — Until Lv18 it was a frail bird, until Lv38 it was average bird, and when it evolved the Steel typing proved to be very important and useful. A neat trick I used since was Power Trip + Hone Claws. Steel makes it tanky enough so that it could set up lots of Hone Claws against targets that it resists, and all of a sudden you got a bird with huge attack spamming a dark type move with obscene power. It was quite sluggish though, especially around the end game.

Vikavolt — Tough to use as Grubbin until it got Bug Bite, Charjabug was fairly tanky and made quick work of Dark types, and when it evolved again it became a strong but slow nuke. 43 base speed kind of sucked but at least it had the bulk to be useable. It proved to be indispensable against Melony’s Lapras and all of the Gyaradoses that stood in our way.

Seismitoad — The main reason I wanted to get this game since June, since it’s my favorite Pokemon! Decent Water type until Lv36, and upon evolution it gets Drain Punch, which in combination with Big Root made this thing very useful. Its speed stat (74) is average but it had the bulk necessary to be useful for me. As long as it doesn’t fight against Grass types it will always be a contender (even if it does, it knows Sludge Wave).

Skuntank — A great team member to use against the rivals (specifically Bede and Marnie). Doesn’t fear Steel types because it gets Flamethrower upon evolution. Bulk is mediocre on paper but base 103 HP really offsets it, similarly to Seismitoad and its 105.

Coalossal — Probably the least effective team member, but it still proved to be important (Beat Leon’s Charizard). This mon really represents the concept behind this team—sluggish, but tanky. It’s physical bulk was extremely high because of relaxed nature, but it ALWAYS went second unless its ability was activated. Tar Shot is fun to use as long as the enemy doesn’t threaten you. Steam Engine was SUPER fun in a double battle; I would have Skuntank use Flamethrower on it (which does basically nothing) and then it could move super fast. Coalossal’s main weakness(es) is that the types which it is weak to are super common in this game—specifically Water, Ground, and Fighting. With those aside though, I liked using this a lot.

Overall, this team was a blast to use. They had to take quite a lot of damage around the end game but it still held together strongly.

My team was:

Scorbunny/Cinderace: All round good pokemon and Pyro Ball was fantastic late game.

Drednaw: Solid choice for the whole game. 10/10 would Drednaw again.

Corviknight: Good typing, decent movepool. Not much else to say, it pulled it's weight where I needed it to.

Toxtricity: Initial investment to get it to evolve paid off in spades.

G-Rapidash: Not learning a physical Fairy move was a big let down so was used mostly for the psychic side of things.

Frosmoth: Late addition to my party made some of the last battles a cakewalk. This thing has great Sp. Def so getting in on a special attacker and boosting to +6 with Quiver Dance trivialised the championship matches.

There's almost everything available by that point. The only typing you'd lack in variety is Ice, as the route-only ice types are after gym 5, and in wild area you can only run in Avalugg, Vanillite and Obamasnow families.
Well, there's also quite a scarcity of dragons, I'm unsure if you can even run into any at all aside Axews and Trapinch.
Applin and Noibat are available in Route 4 and Galar Mine #2 respectively. Pretty sure I've seen Noibat in the Wild Area as well. Applin is dead weight until it evolves though which I think is a few towns away from where you catch it.

Also you can catch Sneasel and Swinub early on in the Wild Area too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)