Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest in peace Fin Fin.
Once Kyogre is back, I hope I'll see you reap through everything with rain boosted Jet Punches.
finfin_sad.png

We ban things for the sake of preserving a competitive metagame, not for Toxapex or any conspiracy you’ve seen or subscribed to or said.

Both bans so far are pretty unanimous (literally unanimous votes, too) and make far more new Pokemon usable by lifting the restrictive nature of those Pokemon than anything else.

I am sorry you can’t play with some of your potential favorite Pokémon and I want you to have fun, but these things happen for a reason, not because of some agenda or bias. I invest a lot of time along with others to try and make this game competitive and enjoyable!
future.jpg

>This thread if finch stopped indulging 3 day old troll accounts

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
View attachment 468478

>This thread if finch stopped indulging 3 day old troll accounts
I respond because the playerbase deserves transparency and representation from the council.

Otherwise posts like those genuinely become more common and people subscribe to that nonsense. It’s my job not only to improve the tier, but to communicate and provide transparency.

Ok so maybe I'm missing something about Gholdengo but I can't see the logic in banning it. Yes Good as Gold is an amazing ability but it's power is somewhat neutered on Gholdengo. It's slow enough that thunderwave isn't hugely impactful, it's already immune to toxic and I'd argue it doesn't have the utility moves that would make taunt hugely impactful against it. It's also really damaged by its fire weakness. Whilst I don't see them discussed much (and admittedly I haven't been reading the discussion enough) fire types like Volcarona, Iron Moth, ceruledge and any of the sun boosted fire attacks can make life very hard for Gholdengo. Add that to its weakness to ground in a meta with Great Tusk AND its knock off weakness, it feels that offense can keep it reasonably penned in. Maybe it thrives against more balance and defensive/stall teams and I'll admit I don't mind stall being somewhat neutered but frankly it doesn't have the tools that would make it as oppressive that it might seem at first. Or maybe people hate its visual design so much they want to make up any reason to ban it.

Edit: Rip Iron Bundle. My love of Delibird has been vindicated.

Last edited:
Oh my gah, I didn't even SEE she got both Magic Powder and Nuzzle??? That's real heat right there sjehbfrfdgjhb
Trick Room is also a good idea, I need to explore that. I've never really played with Trick Room rooms so it could be a good excuse to try them out.

Honestly, it's gonna sound stupid but I never used Hatterene before gen 9 and now she's my new favorite Pokemon. I dunno how or why I never tried her out before but I adore her design. Big witch hats are my jam.
hatt’s cool, man. whenever I’m in a doubles mood i’ll magic pow something then murder it with aegi or crawdaunt. seeing a “psychic” amoongus get merked by a knock is so satisfying

i wonder if magic pow on a ground/electric + nuzzle could be cool? gimmicky maybe, but surprise factor

Ok so maybe I'm missing something about Gholdengo but I can't see the logic in banning it. Yes Good as Gold is an amazing ability but it's power is somewhat neutered on Gholdengo. It's slow enough that thunderwave isn't hugely impactful, it's already immune to toxic and I'd argue it doesn't have the utility moves that would make taunt hugely impactful against it.
the issue with gholdengo is that it is immune to rapid spin and prevents defog from having any effect, including removing hazards, so it invalidates every single form of hazard removal outside of... Tidy Up. Making hazard stacking very threatening.

also, can we, like, stop pretending that tera is healthy for the game?

Ok so maybe I'm missing something about Gholdengo but I can't see the logic in banning it. Yes Good as Gold is an amazing ability but it's power is somewhat neutered on Gholdengo. It's slow enough that thunderwave isn't hugely impactful, it's already immune to toxic and I'd argue it doesn't have the utility moves that would make taunt hugely impactful against it. It's also really damaged by its fire weakness. Whilst I don't see them (and admittedly I haven't been reading the discussion enough) fire types like Volcarona, Iron Moth, ceruledge and any of the sun boosted fire attacks can make life very hard for Gholdengo. Add that to its weakness to ground in a meta with Great Tusk AND its knock off weakness, it feels that offense can keep it reasonably penned in. Maybe it thrives against more balance and defensive/stall teams and I'll admit I don't mind stall being somewhat neutered but frankly it doesn't have the tools that would make it as oppressive that it might seem at first. Or maybe people hate its visual design so much they want to make up any reason to ban it.
It blocks every form of hazard removal and with how excessive the number of spikers is combined with the lack of general removal (its basically donphans/corv/glimmora/cyclizar) it and its stupid string cheese face have come to symbolize hazard stack so far. Solid enough power and utility and can run a variety of sets. Its not banworthy IMO but it gets discussed because of the state of the meta being so offensive and it all but guarantees hazards can stay up an extra time which just exacerbates the powerful threats running around like palafin/bundle (RIPBOZOS) acromoon, etc

Something funny: when I played gen 9 on showdown for the first time, I thought that you lost your old stabs so they're replaced by your new type. Thinking about it now, this probably would have totally balanced the tera mechanic instead of giving one of your mons a choice band/life orb depending on the type. Maybe it would have also made it worse, heck if I know lol

hatt’s cool, man. whenever I’m in a doubles mood i’ll magic pow something then murder it with aegi or crawdaunt. seeing a “psychic” amoongus get merked by a knock is so satisfying

i wonder if magic pow on a ground/electric + nuzzle could be cool? gimmicky maybe, but surprise factor
How would a magic powder/nuzzle set work in singles?

I have begun trying out Eviolite Primeape in response to the belief that Rage Fist is only good on Annihilape. I would encourage others to do the same. It's not a pervasive threat like Annihilape, but it definitely can put dents into teams. I think it's carried by the shock value, that people who dont know how to deal with Annihilape would have been beaten by Eviolite Primeape anyways.

I don't have enough information to determine whether Annihilape or Rage Fist is the problem, but I do have enough information to know that one of the two needs to go.
I have to Quote this and emphasize that I cannot believe it but Primeape functions nearly the same as its ghostly Evolution.
The Set I was running is Rage Fist, Drain Punch, Bulk Up and Taunt with Max HP and Speed + Jolly and Eviolite, Ghost Terra

With Wish Support and Ghost Terra I was able to break defensive Teams, especially when I gathered enough boosts from Uturns, Volt Switches etc.

Obviously the Ghostape is better but I Am still surprised how good Rage Fist worked on Primeape.

I have to Quote this and emphasize that I cannot believe it but Primeape functions nearly the same as its ghostly Evolution.
The Set I was running is Rage Fist, Drain Punch, Bulk Up and Taunt with Max HP and Speed + Jolly and Eviolite, Ghost Terra

With Wish Support and Ghost Terra I was able to break defensive Teams, especially when I gathered enough boosts from Uturns, Volt Switches etc.

Obviously the Ghostape is better but I Am still surprised how good Rage Fist worked on Primeape.
Both. Both is good.
Also run diff sets to counter each other's counters, along with cyclizar shed tail support, and possibly even webs or rocks to beat sash shenanigans. If a mon is broken for a certain move, and said move is available on multiple mons, just ban the move. I can definitely see the council banning annihilape, then primeape becoming OU, then the council banning primeape as well.
Or, y'know, just ban tera instead of primeape, which I can see them doing as well.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Has anyone tried full weather teams?
not me but since i asked about team ideas im gonna try making a full sun team and see how bad it goes (yeah im not the best player sorry)
So, ive been experimenting with full sun, im probably gonna post this team on a more detailed scale on RMT (yes this is a shameless plug, no i wont apologize) EDIT: the team is now on RTM rate the meme, no, im still not apologizing
https://pokepast.es/d632b5ea46f74a75
:Torkoal: :Sylveon: :Rotom-Heat: :Dondozo: :Chi-Yu: :Great Tusk:
and after a few matches, i can say that sun is pretty good, its gonna be a bit less prominent since 2 water types got banned, full sun is a double edge weapon, because you have all these new broken mons but 99% of the time your opponent also has at least one of these broken mons, still, i felt like i could defeat every style with enough inteligence (something i dont have) and with tera, you can give yourself momentum to fish matchups, i think that sun might be extremly loose right now, because theres a ton of mons who benefit from it, therefore, a high pool of mons, from all that i have played, Im gonna say that the biggest treat to sun rn is :Garganacl: (haha gargan-on-deez nutz) because his rock typing with insane defenses means he can sap your momentum with salt cure or be forced to trade with it, its still possible to beat, its just that it takes a bit too much for my liking

Also the Rotom Applainces are underated, they still have some cool utility to use and they wont fall to a single hit so even tho they do not posses reliable recovery, they are not as paper frail

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)