Metagame SV Monotype Metagame Discussion [Indigo Disk]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead by Daylight

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO.
is a Contributor to Smogon
I have some questions: what is Gallade in Mono-Fighting Even used for? What stats, moves and item does it use? Which advantages does it have?
Its main draws are its powerful Sharpness-boosted attacks and secondary Psychic typing complete with colorful coverage, letting it threaten types like Water and Poison in a single slot. It usually runs Agility + Life Orb, IIRC, with Psycho Cut, a Fighting STAB, and Leaf Blade / Knock Off.

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I have some questions: what is Gallade in Mono-Fighting Even used for? What stats, moves and item does it use? Which advantages does it have?
While this would be better suited for the Ask a simple answer thread, I can answer it hear.

The main draw of Gallade is simple, it is a Psychic neutrality and Poison answer.
On the Psychic side of things it is neutral anything Psychic-types want to do for the most part which can assist in those matchups where otherwise they can be majorly rough. Notably being able to eat a hit from Psychic attacks from the likes of Greninja, Hoopa-U and Jirachi and respond with Knock off/Night Slash for Gren and Jirachi and Scared Sword for Hoopa-U.

But the bigger Draw is its ability to kind of mess Poison up. Fighting overall has it rough into Poison with the defensive core of Amoonguss, Toxapex and Galarian Weezing handling most of the type with some form of special wall covering for Iron Valiant, Keldeo and Kommo-O.
Gallade's dual STAB combo majorly threatens Poison, being able to get 2HKOs at worst on most of the type. Notably it gets OKHOs on stuff like Amoonguss (50% from full), Galarian Weezing (62.5% after Stealth Rock) and Alolan Muk (6.3% from Full and 87.5% after rocks) and even if they aren't OKHOs, several mons can't threaten Gallade back for major damage/Status, notably Toxapex and Galarian Slowking will always live 1 hit, but their response is basically it for them before they die and they can never switch in for fear of Psycho cut 2 hitting them, and Galarian Slowking doesn't even threaten Gallade since, you kill Glowking then take 50% from Future sight 2 turns later. The only two mons that don't die to Gallade are Pecharunt which still has a chance to be 2HKO and doesn't win a 1v1 and Overqwil, which is rare for Poison teams and is kind of forced to retreat at the sight of a Special threat.

cpt.kraken

I COULD BE BANNED!
Only viable set of gallade is assault vest as you've pointed. It's good special bulk let it take several hits + is incredibly powerful with adamant nature and sharpeness. It's generally played dual stabs + night slash + shadow sneak allowing to threaten lati@s, dragapult, flutter mane, bypass archaludon's stamina. It's too slow to be a good scarf for fighting and already deals a lot of damages that life orb won't help to take kills.

Good against Mirror matches poison mus mainly. It also the only fighting type that can comfortably take a Psychic move due to dual typing and not being especially weak to Fairy unlike Scrafty. It usually runs AV and, on rare occasions, scarf on Fighting. Also, it’s good against Water and Ground due to Leaf Blade. Hope that helps!

Edit: Did not see the replies. Sorry.

Last edited:
Speaking of Gallade, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Fighting in the current meta? Do you all believe that it’s still a top 5 type or has Normal knocked it out of top 5? I think Fighting is either #4 or #5 currently for me, personally.

That checks out you're seeing a bunch of fighting on the ladder, it's such a great type and it's countering the one of the most popular in dark which also is on top of the ladder again(with the same team sets from the past few months).

normal is just not top 5, the evidence is quite abundant and it's very predictable. When you what types like Flying and Fire can do, it's just not on the same level.

Speaking of Gallade, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Fighting in the current meta? Do you all believe that it’s still a top 5 type or has Normal knocked it out of top 5? I think Fighting is either #4 or #5 currently for me, personally.
For context, would be curious to see what:
  1. your hypothetical Top 5 list looks like
  2. Fighting build you're thinking of
I think context is important because people continue to build Fighting without AV Gallade and then call Poison and Psychic auto losses. Not like I've provided evidence that suggests otherwise.

Also as mentioned here, I think Fighting's viability was negatively affected by the Baxcalibur ban.

Last edited:
I was gonna answer this with just Fighting but I went down a rabbit hole and just tiered everything in my own opinion:
typetierlist.png

I personally have been really high on Fighting, I think it's really good and I think Scrafty is superrr underrated (credits to adjustments for this one though). But I can't lie that loading into a fast mon with a Fairy or Psy move is just unplayable for Fighting unfortunately so I think it's knocked down a keg, Psychic/Flying/Fairy STAB and moves are pretty spread out so yeah. Fighting is definitely not bad and it performs like 80% of the time in my opinion. I think Normal is very good but I also think people rate it too highly just bc of Ursa-B. Like its an above average type but before Ursa-B was around it was mid at best and imo everything else on the type is not that great. The Ursa-B glaze is just kind of rampant idk, definitely not a Top 5 type to me. Had you asked me when I had just returned to Monotype after a while I'd say Fighting was top 5 and Normal was #6, but yeah. I also think Top 5 is hard to rank cuz they all pretty closely compete with eachother, but I am firm that Ground is the best type along with Dragon, though Excadrill just sweeps dragon pretty easily without a Ground immunity, which isn't even that troublesome to deal with. I genuinely think Bug is pretty decent, Psychic has been getting better as people L2P in terms of building it, I think Water is incredibly mid, and Ghost has fallen off but is still good. Dark should probably be higher on this but everything above Dark can beat it imo. I'm not really sold on Fire being that high but everyone seems to have the opinion that its really good, and Scarfire told me to move it up bc hes a noob lol. ALL SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS OFC....anyone is free to think what they want!

That being said the survey is very close around the corner so this will change a lot maybe with the next suspect, pretty excited to see what direction the tier takes. I am not really a fan of the SV meta and think it could use a refresher before MPL comes around, but I'm not rly sure on the timeline between now + suspect + MPL....I honestly don't even think Gouging/Ursa/Pao are that broken, I think SV as a gen is really fun and cool, but as a gen for Monotype I think it just sucks unfortunately, but hey maybe things will change and I'd love to be proven wrong. I'll forever hold the stance tho that Kingambit is the most unskilled mon ever and should not be allowed and if you disagree with this idc.

E: Would honestly rate Dark above Normal, and it can beat Fighting so they're prob tied tbh....

Good against Mirror matches poison mus mainly. It also the only fighting type that can comfortably take a Psychic move due to dual typing and not being especially weak to Fairy unlike Scrafty. It usually runs AV and, on rare occasions, scarf on Fighting. Also, it’s good against Water and Ground due to Leaf Blade. Hope that helps!

Edit: Did not see the replies. Sorry.
It’s allright, thanks anyway!

I was gonna answer this with just Fighting but I went down a rabbit hole and just tiered everything in my own opinion:
View attachment 622266
I personally have been really high on Fighting, I think it's really good and I think Scrafty is superrr underrated (credits to adjustments for this one though). But I can't lie that loading into a fast mon with a Fairy or Psy move is just unplayable for Fighting unfortunately so I think it's knocked down a keg, Psychic/Flying/Fairy STAB and moves are pretty spread out so yeah. Fighting is definitely not bad and it performs like 80% of the time in my opinion. I think Normal is very good but I also think people rate it too highly just bc of Ursa-B. Like its an above average type but before Ursa-B was around it was mid at best and imo everything else on the type is not that great. The Ursa-B glaze is just kind of rampant idk, definitely not a Top 5 type to me. Had you asked me when I had just returned to Monotype after a while I'd say Fighting was top 5 and Normal was #6, but yeah. I also think Top 5 is hard to rank cuz they all pretty closely compete with eachother, but I am firm that Ground is the best type along with Dragon, though Excadrill just sweeps dragon pretty easily without a Ground immunity, which isn't even that troublesome to deal with. I genuinely think Bug is pretty decent, Psychic has been getting better as people L2P in terms of building it, I think Water is incredibly mid, and Ghost has fallen off but is still good. Dark should probably be higher on this but everything above Dark can beat it imo. I'm not really sold on Fire being that high but everyone seems to have the opinion that its really good, and Scarfire told me to move it up bc hes a noob lol. ALL SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS OFC....anyone is free to think what they want!

That being said the survey is very close around the corner so this will change a lot maybe with the next suspect, pretty excited to see what direction the tier takes. I am not really a fan of the SV meta and think it could use a refresher before MPL comes around, but I'm not rly sure on the timeline between now + suspect + MPL....I honestly don't even think Gouging/Ursa/Pao are that broken, I think SV as a gen is really fun and cool, but as a gen for Monotype I think it just sucks unfortunately, but hey maybe things will change and I'd love to be proven wrong. I'll forever hold the stance tho that Kingambit is the most unskilled mon ever and should not be allowed and if you disagree with this idc.

E: Would honestly rate Dark above Normal, and it can beat Fighting so they're prob tied tbh....
Even If I am not as experienced as sasha and vodoom, I have been putting some time to the game thanks to the SV Monotype tutoring, and the Bax ban has made Ground IMO the best type by far atm, followed by dragon, and then the likes in no particular order of Steel, Fire, Flying, Fairy.

First of all, it can drop Bloodmoon (an insanely good mon), as it has a plethora of good other choices, it can have success with sand or without it, there are types that basically loose once Landorus clicks gravity, Excadrill is super strong and destroys the ice matchup plus it has tools to deal with the water and grass matchups (Clod, Sandy).

All in all, I do believe that everybody could have their own opinions and reasonings behind certain tier placements, but regarding to ground... I firmly believe we could all agree it's the best type right now.

RoyalReloaded

is a Top Tiering Contributor
MPL Champion
hello chat, it's been a while since I've posted here and I wanted to share what I put on the survey with you all.

current meta - 8. I want to preface this and the next one by saying that it is hard for me to quantify things on a numerical scale. I think the meta is really fun, the bax ban did a lot of heavy lifting. Overall there are a few things that stick out that could go to make the meta a bit more fun but I will share my thoughts on those later.

competitive - 7. Once again the bax ban did a lot of heavy lifting. A score of 7 is pretty good because I think it is intrinsically impossible for a 10 to happen

heat rock - balanced. The difference between Heat Rock and all of the other weathers (rain and sand moreso than snow) is that there are 0 ranked Pokemon with an ability that doubles speed under the weather. Sun also has the drawback that allows the opponent to utilize it as well, namely in the form of Protosynthesis. A lot of teams have an ancient Pokemon on it, and the sun user can get rolled by scarf tusk with an attack boost or bolt with a special attack boost.

:pmd/ursaluna-bloodmoon: - balanced (but would understand tiering action) - I think it's fine but I can understand wanting it banned. However I believe there is solid enough counterplay

:pmd/chien-pao: - unbalanced. Not much to say that hasn't been said before but yea, I'd be happy to see it go

:pmd/kingambit: - unbalanced. Uncompetitive, no Pokemon can flip a game that should be lost as easily as Kingambit. Near impossible to switch into unless you have a fighting type (not a lot of teams).

:pmd/ogerpon-hearthflame: - unbalanced. SD + Trailblaze is super broken, Mold Breaker to hit through stuff like Unaware and Flash Fire. Ogerpon-W also unbalanced and I want that one gone as well

:pmd/flutter-mane: - entirely balanced. I can't get behind wanting this thing banned in 2024. Pretty easy to play around definitely a non issue

:pmd/gholdengo: - entirely balanced. Do not know why this is on here to be honest

:pmd/archaludon: - broken. I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely hate archaludon and want it banned the most out of anything. If you hit it with the wrong attack you basically lose. I think it's too strong and extremely unfun to play against.

:pmd/zamazenta: - generally balanced. Zamazenta's gameplan is pretty telegraphed and can be played around. I think choice band is better tbh so if that were to be the set that people started using I might have a change of heart.

not on the survey but wanted to share my thoughts:
:pmd/espathra: - uncompetitive and should be banned. Espathra isn't particularly broken or anything but I think it is textbook uncompetitive. Here are some replays of me skillfully earning victories. I don't think anyone would complain if espathra were to get quickbanned and I certainly don't think that it would do anything other than make the tier healthier.

:pmd/latios: - unbalanced and would happily support tiering action. if you don't have a ting-lu or an alolan muk you don't have a switch in. buffing luster purge was way too much, 50% chance to lower spdef is not right. I would swiftly vote ban on latios if it were to be suspected
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Luster Purge vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Articuno: 148-175 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

*gets the coin flip spdef drop

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Luster Purge vs. -1 248 HP / 208+ SpD Articuno: 222-262 (57.9 - 68.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

this is assuming latios does the minimum amount of damage on the first luster purge (unrealistic)

it's kinda difficult for me to formulate my thoughts into posts without them just being word vomit but I wanted to post here since it's been a bit. sorry if it was hard to read and I'm sorry that some of my thoughts were kinda short, I just didn't have much to say that hasn't been said before. I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing from others soon with their thoughts.

tldr:
qb espathra (uncompetitive)
qb archaludon (pipe dream but I will be happy with a suspect)
suspect pao / gambit
keep an eye on latios and ogerpon h
the rest is fine

Last edited:
1. Dragon, Steel, Dark, Fairy, Fighting in this order is the top 5 for me, personally.

2. :zamazenta: :iron-hands: :sneasler: :great-tusk: :iron-valiant: :Keldeo-resolute:
Thanks for providing context.

You listed Dragon as #1 which has tools like :latios: :latias: :dragapult: and stamina :archaludon:

For this reason alone, I find it difficult to justify not including AV Gallade on Fighting. With Sharpness boosting Sacred Sword and Night Slash, Gallade helps a lot with these threats.

Dragon matchup aside, the utility :gallade: provides vs Poison matchup / poison types & Psychic matchup /psychic-types makes it a great addition to any Fighting team. Preventing the 6-0 from Espathra and requiring Psychic teams to actually put in effort to win, has also been a big plus.

• Ground
  • Dragon
  • Steel
  • Flying
  • Fighting
  • Fairy
  • Dark
  • Ghost
  • Water
  • Normal
  • Fire
  • Poison
  • Psychic
  • Ice
  • Rock
  • Bug
  • Grass
  • Electric

Thanks for providing context.

You listed Dragon as #1 which has tools like :latios: :latias: :dragapult: and stamina :archaludon:

For this reason alone, I find it difficult to justify not including AV Gallade on Fighting. With Sharpness boosting Sacred Sword and Night Slash, Gallade helps a lot with these threats.

Dragon matchup aside, the utility :gallade: provides vs Poison matchup / poison types & Psychic matchup /psychic-types makes it a great addition to any Fighting team. Preventing the 6-0 from Espathra and requiring Psychic teams to actually put in effort to win, has also been a big plus.

• Ground
  • Dragon
  • Steel
  • Flying
  • Fighting
  • Fairy
  • Dark
  • Ghost
  • Water
  • Normal
  • Fire
  • Poison
  • Psychic
  • Ice
  • Rock
  • Bug
  • Grass
  • Electric
For the record, I only brought up Fighting’s viability rank placement since Gallade was brought up. I’m not downplaying Gallade in any way; the 6 mons I listed were what’s standard for Fighting currently. Keldeo’s slot is honestly interchangeable with many mons that Fighting has, including Gallade. The 6th slot, to me, determines what matchups you want to have a better chance/win more against. Fighting already has a decent matchup against Poison, a non-choice item Gallade just seals the game completely. The Psychic matchup, I don’t worry about as much since Psychic doesn’t show up nearly as often and isn’t considered as good as it used to be. The top 5 I listed are types I see as the best and can be brought into just about any matchup and have good odds of winning.

Although, I’m seeing many people are saying Ground is the best right now which makes me want to go ladder with it more and play some bo3s against people with it to see if I come to the same conclusion as others. In addition to the views of Ground being the best, some posts here and talks in the places for Monotype has said that Ground can forego :ursaluna-Bloodmoon: and still be just as effective, if not better, without it. That sort of makes me question how broken Blood Moon is if this strong mon can be dropped and the team isn’t considered subpar. A Steel team without :kingambit: and/or :gholdengo: are considered subpar, a Fire team without :ogerpon-Hearthflame: is considered subpar, a Dark team without :chien-pao: is considered subpar, a Normal team without :ursaluna-Bloodmoon: is considered subpar, prior to :Urshifu: ban, Fighting teams without it was considered subpar. Now Ground teams without Ursaluna can still be considered great? I’m not saying this is the definite answer, I’m posing the question to make people really think. You can even put it Ground in Dragon’s position 2 suspects ago. Where :gouging-fire: was considered broken with the core synergy of Dragon and Gouging itself being strong as well. But in the end, it stayed. Now, you can mention that Gouging shouldn’t have been the first suspect, similar to how some are saying Blood Moon shouldn’t be the priority over mons like Chien-Pao or whatever. Still, I want others to fully think through if Blood Moon is too strong for the tier or just a Normal (pun intended) strong mon.

For the record, I only brought up Fighting’s viability rank placement since Gallade was brought up. I’m not downplaying Gallade in any way; the 6 mons I listed were what’s standard for Fighting currently. Keldeo’s slot is honestly interchangeable with many mons that Fighting has, including Gallade. The 6th slot, to me, determines what matchups you want to have a better chance/win more against. Fighting already has a decent matchup against Poison, a non-choice item Gallade just seals the game completely. The Psychic matchup, I don’t worry about as much since Psychic doesn’t show up nearly as often and isn’t considered as good as it used to be. The top 5 I listed are types I see as the best and can be brought into just about any matchup and have good odds of winning.

Although, I’m seeing many people are saying Ground is the best right now which makes me want to go ladder with it more and play some bo3s against people with it to see if I come to the same conclusion as others. In addition to the views of Ground being the best, some posts here and talks in the places for Monotype has said that Ground can forego :ursaluna-Bloodmoon: and still be just as effective, if not better, without it. That sort of makes me question how broken Blood Moon is if this strong mon can be dropped and the team isn’t considered subpar. A Steel team without :kingambit: and/or :gholdengo: are considered subpar, a Fire team without :ogerpon-Hearthflame: is considered subpar, a Dark team without :chien-pao: is considered subpar, a Normal team without :ursaluna-Bloodmoon: is considered subpar, prior to :Urshifu: ban, Fighting teams without it was considered subpar. Now Ground teams without Ursaluna can still be considered great? I’m not saying this is the definite answer, I’m posing the question to make people really think. You can even put it Ground in Dragon’s position 2 suspects ago. Where :gouging-fire: was considered broken with the core synergy of Dragon and Gouging itself being strong as well. But in the end, it stayed. Now, you can mention that Gouging shouldn’t have been the first suspect, similar to how some are saying Blood Moon shouldn’t be the priority over mons like Chien-Pao or whatever. Still, I want others to fully think through if Blood Moon is too strong for the tier or just a Normal (pun intended) strong mon.
I was expecting you to rank Fighting based on the build you shared :blobthinking: I certainly would not consider that build to be top 5 with poor matchups vs Poison and Psychic, especially without Gallade and even Keldeo

I disagree about Keldeo's slot being interchangeable. There are so many ways to cripple Physical offense such as Will-o-wisp / burns, Rocky Helmet & Iron Defence. For this reason Iron Valiant as sole Special Offense seems sub-optimal. Furthermore the best Valiant build is mixed with Close Combat - and having Keldeo for additional Special Offense supports this.

Last edited:
I was expecting you to rank Fighting based on the build you shared :blobthinking: I certainly would not consider that build to be top 5 with poor matchups vs Poison and Psychic, especially without Gallade and even Keldeo
I can’t speak for everyone on their ranking process, but I was ranking the types as a whole. If people were ranking based on specific teams, their tier lists would have those teams on their tiermakers, not the type icons. Also, again, I just listed the standard Fighting team since you asked for a build to think of.

I can’t speak for everyone on their ranking process, but I was ranking the types as a whole. If people were ranking based on specific teams, their tier lists would have those teams on their tiermakers, not the type icons. Also, again, I just listed the standard Fighting team since you asked for a build to think of.
That's the point of personal rankings - 100% subjective and reflect the person's opinion on what the best build for each type might be.

I was just confused why you would list a Fighting team that didn't necessarily reflect what you think the best Fighting build is and then rank Fighting in your top 5.

But it's your opinion and I respect if, even if I don't agree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)