SUPERSTALLING FUN - OU Semistall

Team: When Zach's Collide
Because Plus' name is Zach and my name is Zach and we made this team together so yeah.
An OU Semi Stall RMT.
Credit to Ace Matador and his RMT for the cool color scheme.

Introduction:
This is a team that I and my tutor, Plus, created. We started out by choosing a style of play (semi-stall) and through a long winded process we arrived at the team you see to below. Note that the explanation following is not the actual order this team was created in. With the infamous SkarmBliss core present on our team, we already had a significant portion of the metagame covered. With that in mind, we look at what gives SkarmBliss trouble: Tyranitar, Infernape, Machamp, Salamence, Gyarados, etc. Swampert covers Tyranitar and Salamence, and provides our team with Stealth Rock. Starmie covers against Infernape, Gyarados, and to a lesser extent, Machamp, while proving our team with a Rapid Spinner, a luxury most semi-stall teams miss out on. So far we had Spikes, Stealth Rock, two pHazers, a Rapid Spinner, and most of the threats of the metagame were covered. However, we lacked a Spin Blocker. In comes Rotom-a. Rotom-a is an excellent asset to a stall team with its ability to spin block, distribute Burns, and heal itself with Rest and Sleep Talk. Rotom also gave us a better switch into Machamp's DynamicPunch. Finally we arrived at Jirachi. Semi stall teams usually have a set up sweeper of some sort and Jirachi is notoriously good with Spikes support. Jirachi has generally been great at taking advantage of what out core weakens to allow it to sweep.

From Afar

tl;dr - every type is resisted twice or more, except for Dark and Water. All immunities that can be had, except for Ability-based immunities, are present.

Notes
  • Trick user / absorber
  • Stealth Rock user
  • Spikes user
  • Spin blocker
  • Rapid Spinner
  • Two pHazers
  • Taunt user
  • Status Absorber
  • Two Natural Cure Pokemon
  • Two reliable Dragon-type resists

Upon Further Inspection

Key
  • Italics - Slashed in, this is something that Plus uses but I don't.
  • Size one Italics - Appears below the introduction of a pokemon, indicates something being tested.
  • Bold Blue - Indicates changes made.

Starmie
|

Pirate's Charm @ Choice Scarf
Ability | Natural Cure
EVs | 4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Trick

Lead Trick/Scarf Starmie. This is a pretty good lead. We rather have this as a lead than Swampert because if Swampert gets weakened than DD Mence has its way with this team. So anyway, this is our team's main answer to the huge stall threat, MixApe (and other versions). Trick is cool when people use Stealth Rock, as once they are locked into Stealth Rock they switch, giving us a free opportunity to Rapid Spin. Speaking of Rapid Spin, its nice to have it hear, because it is a luxury most semi-stall teams miss out on. The choice between Thunderbolt and Ice Beam is the choice between letting Gyarados set up or Salamence set up. I generally go with Thunderbolt since Gyarados is more of a pain to this team I think, although I'm not sure about Plus. Derp

Skarmory
|
/

The Helmaroc King @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Spe / 148 SpD
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Taunt Skarmory is an excellent Spike stacker and Stall breaker. Skarmory serves as one of our main weapons against Stall; Taunting Blisseys, Forretress's, Swamperts, etc., Spiking in their faces (not so much against Forretress), and Roosting up so it can be done again later.

Skarmory's primary purpose is set up Spikes for our team, as mentioned. The combination of Taunt and a Specially Defensive Spread maximizes the number of threats this can be done against. 252 HP EV's, 148 SpDef EVs, and a Careful nature guarantees that Blissey will never 2HKO with Flamethrower, even with Stealth Rock up, even without Leftovers. This means that Skarm can switch into Flamethrower, Taunt and take a second Flamethrower, and Roost up more health than Blissey can take away, eventually allowing Skarmory to Spike up. Vaporeon is in the same boat; STAB Surf will never 2HKO either. The Speed EV's allow Skarmory to outrun 16 Speed Gyarados, which outruns most Resttalk variants. This allows Skarmory to Taunt them before they can use Sleep Talk or Whirlwind before they Roar. In a similar vein, the Speed EV's also practically guarantee that Skarmory will outrun Tyranitar, meaning I can Roost up for the Stone Edge resistance and avoid being 2HKOed. If I stall for a miss, I can also set up another layer of Spikes.

Damage Calculations

Max Special Attack Timid Life Orb Latias / Salamence Draco Meteor: 44% - 51.8%
Max Special Attack Timid Life Orb -2 Latias / Salamence Thunderbolt / Flamethrower: 40.1% - 47.3%

Latias / Salamence never 2HKO's with Draco Meteor followed by Thunderbolt / Flamethrower without Stealth Rock.

56 Special Attack Relaxed Swamper Ice Beam: 21.6% - 25.7%
56 Special Attack Relaxed Swamper Hydro Pump: 40.7% - 48.5%
80 Special Attack Calm Blissey Flamethrower: 40.1% - 47.3%
0 Special Attack Bold Vaporeon Surf: 36.8% - 43.4%
0 Special Attack Bold Celebi Hidden Power Fire: 33.5% - 40.1%

Taunt Skarmory v. Stall
Code:
boop switched in Forretress (lvl 100 Forretress ?).
Skarmory used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Skarmory used Taunt.
Forretress fell for the taunt!
Forretress used Spikes.
Forretress can't use Spikes after the taunt!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Zach. switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Forretress used Rapid Spin.
It doesn't affect Rotom-h...
The sandstorm rages.
Rotom-h is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Rotom-h lost 6% of its health.
Rotom-h's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-h restored 6% of its health.
---
[B]snip[/B]
---
Tyranitar used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Rotom-h lost 37% of its health.
Zach. switched in Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory ?).
The sandstorm rages.
Tyranitar was hurt by its burn!
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
---
Skarmory used Spikes.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Zach. switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Forretress used Payback.
It's super effective!
Rotom-h lost 45% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Rotom-h is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Rotom-h lost 6% of its health.
Rotom-h's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-h restored 6% of its health.
---
[B]snip[/B]
---
Skarmory used Taunt.
Swampert fell for the taunt!
Swampert used Stealth Rock.
Swampert can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!
The sandstorm rages.
Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.
---
Forretress was hurt by Spikes!
Forretress lost 12% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Forretress.
Skarmory used Spikes.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Forretress used Payback.
It's not very effective...
Skarmory lost 5% of its health.
Skarmory used Whirlwind.
boop switched in Blissey (lvl 100 Blissey ?).
Blissey was hurt by Spikes!
Blissey lost 19% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Blissey.
Blissey lost 12% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Blissey is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Blissey lost 6% of its health.
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.
---
Skarmory used Taunt.
Blissey fell for the taunt!
Blissey used Wish.
Blissey can't use Wish after the taunt!
The sandstorm rages.
Blissey is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Blissey lost 6% of its health.
Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.
---
Forretress was hurt by Spikes!
Forretress lost 19% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Forretress.
Skarmory used Whirlwind.
boop switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Tyranitar was hurt by Spikes!
Tyranitar lost 19% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 7% of its health.
boop's Tyranitar fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
boop has left the room.
Zach. wins!
Blissey
|

Mrs. Marie @ Leftovers
Ability | Natural Cure
EVs | 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam / Flamethrower

Uh yeah Blissey walls stuff. These things can be called Jolteon, Gengar, Latias, Rotom-a, Heatran, Empoleon, Zapdos, Yanmega, Vaporeon, some Togekiss, some Suicune, Porygon-Z, Porygon2, Celebi, uh and other stuff. Anyway yes bla bla the best special wall in the game bla bla instant recovery. Thunder Wave is an interesting option and I'm not really sure why we have it there but it works. Thunder Waving random Salamence as they switch in makes them far less threatening. Speaking of Salamence, Blissey is an excellent MixMence check with Ice Beam because Salamence can only 2HKO with Outrage and Blissey can OHKO with Ice beam. Most Blissey are Wish / Protect / Seismic Toss or Ice Beam / Toxic. Choosing between Seismic Toss and Ice Beam is like choosing whether to be weak to MixMencee or Life Orb Heatran. With both, I don't worry about either. Also, Seismic Toss / Toxic is walled by Gengar and thats no fun with the best special wall in the game. So yeah Softboiled for recovery, both attacking moves for super fun time, spamming T-Wave to scout just to make the opponent ragequat, etc.

Swampert
|

The King of Red Lions @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Every team loves Stealth Rock, and this team is no exception. Anyway, Stealth Rock is everyone's favorite Salamence and Gyarados pseudo-check, and it also keeps the opponent from playing around with too much switching, to an extent. Earthquake provides Swampert a 100 BP STAB move and turns him into my Tyranitar check. Ice Beam is for coverage; this combination hits the entire metagame for neutral or better damage, minus Bronzong. I'm another person who likes to parrot the statement "Swampert is the best Stealth Rocker in the game". With excellent typing and resistances, paired with his respectable defensive stats and resistance to Stealth Rock, Swampert not only has the ability to set up rocks both early and mid game, but he can also do it without suffering from four moveslot syndrome. Roar is a nice move that allows me to get rid of stat-uppers, scout the opposing team, and rack up Stealth Rock and Spikes damage. Overall, Swampert is great. It is my main check to many troublesome threats including Tyranitar and Dragon Dance Salamence.

Rotom-a
|

Phantom Gannon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp / Reflect
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This is the best Spin Blocker that Standard Play has to offer, and so it finds a place on our entry hazard stacking team. The two main spin blockers in OU are Starmie and Forretress. Starmie is taken out nicely by Thunderbolt. Forretress is outsped and Burned, leaving its Paybacks to do pittance. Thunderbolt also OHKOes Gyarados, leaving Rotom as our main Gyarados check. Rotom can switch into a Dragon Dance, take a Waterfall, and Thunderbolt for the KO. Finally, I draw attention to the odd EV spread and nature. Most Rest + Sleep Talk Rotoms run 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD and Bold. However, with the speed EVs and nature Rotom reaches 280 Speed, enough to outrun Adamant Lucario. I can therefore switch into a Swords Dance, Close Combat, or ExtremeSpeed, and then burn it so that it is unable to run through our team. I don't know if Plus has tried it but I sometimes use Reflect because it doesn't conflict with Thunder Wave. Rest and Sleep Talk for Recovery.

Alternate option:

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
148 HP / 220 Spe / 140 SpA
Timid
-Thunderbolt
-Overheat
-Will-o-Wisp / Reflect
-Trick

This is a set I've tested briefly. It serves as a better check to both Gyarados and Lucario. Will-o-Wisp is used in an attempt to have some sort of defense against Pursuiters, but is difficult to predict. Also provides this team a secondary Trick user / absorber. However, this Rotom does not Spin block as well.

Jirachi
|

Din @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt / Thunder

SubCM Jirachi yeaaaaaaaaaaaa. This is our finisher. Yes, this monster is notoriously good with Spikes support, its an excellent weapon against opposing Stall teams, it takes excellent advantage of what the core weakens to set up a sweep, and uh stuff. Psychic is used over Flash Cannon because Swampert has got Tyraniatar covered. Some times I do wish I had Flash Cannon against Latias and Celebi but oh well. Most of things that take this on (Heatran, Swampert, Hungry Hungry Hippowdon, Blissey (doesn't even win 100% without Flamethrower), Tyranitar, etc.) are grounded and therefore susceptible to Spikes. In addition to being weakned by Spikes, most checks to Jirachi are handled by this team well - Swampert and Hippowdon by Skarmory, Tyranitar by Swampert, Celebi and Latias by Blissey, Tyranitar by Swampert, Heatran by Blissey, Starmie, and Swampert, etc. Tying with other base 100's is much cooler than 80 SpA EVs which do next to nothing. Blissey is still beaten at +6 with one Special Defense drop. This also can check Lucario kinda by subbing twice on Close Combat for Special Defense drops and they using Psychic for the KO. Uh yeah.

Also for any one who is interested the team progressed like this:
  • Lead Resttalk Machamp / Taunt Skarmory / Special Defensive Jirachi / Scarf Rotom / Rapid Spin Starmie / Roar Salamence
  • Lead Trick Starmie / Taunt Skarmory / Blissey / resttalk Machamp / Scarf Rotom / filler (went through mixmence, sd scizor, and cm rachi)
  • Lead Trick Starmie / Taunt Skarmory / Blissey / Swampert / Resttalk Rotom / cm rachi

yeah

GO GO SMOGON, RATE OUR TEAM

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is an excellent team. Not so sure about the colour scheme myself, but anyway...

About starmie and the choice of moves - in the lead metagame ice beam is considerably more useful than thunderbolt. (You can use it versus roserade, dragonite, gliscor (accuracy,) where you couldn't with thunderbolt. Curiously the main lead whom you would use it against is starmie) In reality, though, you will rarely need to use either in the lead position. I think your team deals with Gyarados fine, but then it also deals quite well with dragons. Grass knot might help against swampert, even.

Have you also considered a life orb starmie lead? These can bring suicide leads down to their sash and spins away rocks whilst finishing them off. This way you can have both moves. Most leads, in my opinion, should simply attack a Starmie lead given the chance, so tricking them may simply allow them to finish you off more easily. I think if you run LO with ice beam/hydro pump/grass knot/rapid spin, most leads you would trick are simply OHKOd.

I don't recommend thunder on Jirachi. It has max speed and doesn't run a flinch move, so it is unlikely to really come into effect. And the paralysis chance is less than 50%. Edit: of course I was factoring in accuracy

Good luck with the team.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is an excellent team. Not so sure about the colour scheme myself, but anyway...

About starmie and the choice of moves - in the lead metagame ice beam is considerably more useful than thunderbolt. (You can use it versus roserade, dragonite, gliscor (accuracy,) where you couldn't with thunderbolt. Curiously the main lead whom you would use it is against starmie) In reality, though, you will rarely need to use either in the lead position. I think your team deals with Gyarados fine, but then it also deals quite well with dragons. Grass knot might help against swampert, even.

Have you also considered a life orb starmie lead? These can bring suicide leads down to their sash and spins away rocks whilst finishing them off. This way you can have both moves. Most leads, in my opinion, should simply attack a Starmie lead given the chance, so tricking them may simply allow them to finish you off more easily. I think if you run LO with ice beam/hydro pump/grass knot/rapid spin, most leads you would trick are simply OHKOd.

I don't recommend thunder on Jirachi. It has max speed and doesn't run a flinch move, so it is unlikely to really come into effect. And the paralysis chance is less than 50%.

Good luck with the team.
Choice Scarf Starmie helps considerably more against Stall teams as opposed to Life Orb Starmie, which is much more predictable and can be stopped by a simple switch to Blissey. Thunder on Jirachi is an option there because it has a higher chance to harm Tyranitar and Heatran as opposed to Thunderbolt given that Jirachi is under a Sub -- it's main purpose is not to outspeed those slower than it, that would be quite silly lol.

Most ladder players who run an Azelf actually do use Stealth Rock first and would switch to, say, Rotom-a, which is a common scenario. Life Orb Starmie would at best speed tie with Azelf, whereas CS can at least Trick and survive an explosion (should it explode, thanks to focus sash), or fuck up HO Azelfs which carry Light Clay. You can have the option to predict a switch afterwards or spin away the rocks effectively giving you the upper hand, too. Against Metagross, they may explode, but this would not matter if you switched in our own Rotom-w. Even with Life Orb a Hydro Pump would not kill, so there's not much of a flaw in this imo.

You are also incorrect about the Paralysis rate, it's actually 60% (unless you secretly mean the accuracy problems which I can afford since the guy's under a sub, meaning I can waste a turn to miss if that's the case). Heatran and Tyranitar are pretty common switch ins to CM Jirachi, and it would suck hard if they were paralyzed, even with a flinch move. The idea is not to kill them, rather to cripple them so they can't come in again.

I agree with Ice Beam over Thunderbolt on this however, especially with the influx of Dragonite leads. I rarely have my scarf mid-late game when a DD Gyara comes out so I'd usually just go to Gyarados anyways lol. Nonetheless Scarf is way more surprising than LO is, and catches lots of teams off guard, especially stall.

Anyways good efforts Zach, Zach is very proud ^^

Nice team, just wanted to point out that a Specially Based MixApe runs through this team after Starmie is gone which isn't hard to take down with a reliable pursuiter. A way to mend this problem is by giving Rotom more SpD evs to better handle the ape maybe going to the standard Resttalk which I know won't be convenient without the speed evs in your case. You could incorporate a bulky water like vaporeon or a dragon like latias, but I really don't know who to take out without affecting the team much. Maybe you can figure it out or the next rater can provide with a good change covering this weakness. Just wanted to give you the heads up and hope it helps!

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lucario is a major threat to this team. It OHKOs your entire team after one Swords Dance with the only thing that would even get the chance to hit it first being your Jirachi. However, Jirachi fails to OHKO so you are surely in for a world of pain. Thus, we must make a change to help alleviate your Lucario problem. I propose you change your Jirachi from CM Jirachi to Scarf Tyranitar. I recommend the following set:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
---

Superpower OHKOs Lucario so it will not be able to sweep your team. It also helps with weird things like CM Refresh Latias while offering a Choiced Rotom-a / Latias switch in if you fear Blissey beign Trick'd.

Solid team overall, good job.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
I would think Rotom would be a better option because he can also utilize trick to fuck up things like CMers. Sorry I can't really give a full rate since it is such an amazing team, so good job!

I will test Scarf Tar over Jirachi and I would also like to try Scarf Salamence in that spot as well.

However I do not think we are as Lucario weak as you think. Yes, we are quite shaky against Lucario, but not totally. The reason is that Rotom outspeeds Adamant Lucario and Will-O-Wisps it, leaving Lucario walled. We can also pull that Sub-for-CC-drops trick, and often times, with three layers of Spikes up, Jirachi needs only sub once before it can Psychic for the KO.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello Zachs,

This is an excellent build and I believe the only way you'll lose is by playing bad or having a severe case of bad luck. I'm not going to hesitate to give this 5 stars. Anyways, there really isn't any stick-out problems with the team. The only way to truly check everything is when everything is alive. Problems that were pointed out included Infernape and Lucario are considered problems to this team when Starmie or Rotom goes down. Salamence is also a problem if Swampert goes down. I feel like the missing element to this team is Wish. You can give it a go to actually keep those who lack recovery alive. You can go two ways with this Wish over Thunder Wave on Blissey or Wish over Substitute on Jirachi. From the description, it seems like Blissey doesn't do any notable with Thunder Wave besides scoring a paralysis on the switch. Double-healing might sound odd, but it might help the team out. Jirachi on the other hand could use Wish since Substitute doesn't really help Jirachi besides blocking Thunder Wave. As a Calm Mind sweeper, it is already immune to Toxic. I'd like you guys to try that out.

As for other options, you can try to use Shadow Ball and Pain Split over Rest and Sleep Talk. If you stick to the Wish suggestion, I think Rotom could use these two moves. Shadow Ball actually helps by actually hitting Rotom - a problem for the team since nothing can really take it down. It hits through SubCharge beam versions. Pain Plit is unreliable but you can slip it on the final slot just incase its needed. Although Reflect could go there if you're afraid of wow's shaky accuracy. overall gl.

After looking at your team, I feel that Choice Scarf Heatran could be a viable alternative to Jirachi, as it provides your team with some offense without the necessity of having to set up. With entry hazards support, common counters such as bulky Waters will be incapable of switching in continuously to wall you. As Reverb mentioned, having a solid revenge killer would allow your team to cover threats more reliably as well; however, I don't see Tyranitar being the best approach for that task.

One threat that I find can cause trouble for your team is Specially Based MixApe, which can completely annihilate your team once Starmie is taken out. This is a big problem as your current set, although effective, is going to be taken out by Pursuit. From there, MixApe can proceed to KO the rest of your team with little difficulty. By replacing Jirachi with Heatran, you have a solid check against it. As Reverb mentioned, Heatran can Explode on late game threats like CM/Refresh Latias, CMCune, and CursePert. CursePert will also 6-0 your team if it comes in at near full health as the last remaining Pokemon, so you may wish to consider HP Grass over Dragon Pulse on ScarfTran if you plan on replacing Jirachi for it.

Finally, have you considered running Wish over Thunder Wave on Blissey? Most of the common switch-ins to Blissey are already slow Steel-types, so paralyzing them won't hinder them much. With Wish, you can heal Swampert and Starmie and keep them in good health throughout the match.

Anyways, solid team here. I've been using semi stall as well and it's really an effective team style. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I will test Scarf Tar over Jirachi and I would also like to try Scarf Salamence in that spot as well.

However I do not think we are as Lucario weak as you think. Yes, we are quite shaky against Lucario, but not totally. The reason is that Rotom outspeeds Adamant Lucario and Will-O-Wisps it, leaving Lucario walled. We can also pull that Sub-for-CC-drops trick, and often times, with three layers of Spikes up, Jirachi needs only sub once before it can Psychic for the KO.
Two things:

Relying it being neutrally Spd natured is not a good strategy since if it is Jolly, you will put yourself at a huge disadvantage.

Additionally, the 'CC for Subs' Trick is not all that reliable since it Lucario can use its auxilary move instead. Overall, I still feel that it is a significant issue.

Additionally, just a nitpick change your Rotom-a's HP EV to 248 from 252. 304 takes more SR and SS damage than 303 HP does. Essentially, it is a detrimental EV.

Two things:

Relying it being neutrally Spd natured is not a good strategy since if it is Jolly, you will put yourself at a huge disadvantage.

Additionally, the 'CC for Subs' Trick is not all that reliable since it Lucario can use its auxilary move instead. Overall, I still feel that it is a significant issue.

Additionally, just a nitpick change your Rotom-a's HP EV to 248 from 252. 304 takes more SR and SS damage than 303 HP does. Essentially, it is a detrimental EV.
I wasn't entirely disagreeing with you, I agree this team is quite shaky against Lucario.

Also will change Rotom's EV spread to 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 Spe.

After looking at your team, I feel that Choice Scarf Heatran could be a viable alternative to Jirachi, as it provides your team with some offense without the necessity of having to set up. With entry hazards support, common counters such as bulky Waters will be incapable of switching in continuously to wall you. As Reverb mentioned, having a solid revenge killer would allow your team to cover threats more reliably as well; however, I don't see Tyranitar being the best approach for that task.

One threat that I find can cause trouble for your team is Specially Based MixApe, which can completely annihilate your team once Starmie is taken out. This is a big problem as your current set, although effective, is going to be taken out by Pursuit. From there, MixApe can proceed to KO the rest of your team with little difficulty. By replacing Jirachi with Heatran, you have a solid check against it. As Reverb mentioned, Heatran can Explode on late game threats like CM/Refresh Latias, CMCune, and CursePert. CursePert will also 6-0 your team if it comes in at near full health as the last remaining Pokemon, so you may wish to consider HP Grass over Dragon Pulse on ScarfTran if you plan on replacing Jirachi for it.

Finally, have you considered running Wish over Thunder Wave on Blissey? Most of the common switch-ins to Blissey are already slow Steel-types, so paralyzing them won't hinder them much. With Wish, you can heal Swampert and Starmie and keep them in good health throughout the match.

Anyways, solid team here. I've been using semi stall as well and it's really an effective team style. Let me know if you have any more questions.
I really like the idea of Scarf Tran with Spikes weaknening Pert/Cune/Vappy/etc. and it also fixes Lucario problems. I will try it.

Also currently testing Wish on Bliss.

Hello Zachs,

This is an excellent build and I believe the only way you'll lose is by playing bad or having a severe case of bad luck. I'm not going to hesitate to give this 5 stars. Anyways, there really isn't any stick-out problems with the team. The only way to truly check everything is when everything is alive. Problems that were pointed out included Infernape and Lucario are considered problems to this team when Starmie or Rotom goes down. Salamence is also a problem if Swampert goes down. I feel like the missing element to this team is Wish. You can give it a go to actually keep those who lack recovery alive. You can go two ways with this Wish over Thunder Wave on Blissey or Wish over Substitute on Jirachi. From the description, it seems like Blissey doesn't do any notable with Thunder Wave besides scoring a paralysis on the switch. Double-healing might sound odd, but it might help the team out. Jirachi on the other hand could use Wish since Substitute doesn't really help Jirachi besides blocking Thunder Wave. As a Calm Mind sweeper, it is already immune to Toxic. I'd like you guys to try that out.

As for other options, you can try to use Shadow Ball and Pain Split over Rest and Sleep Talk. If you stick to the Wish suggestion, I think Rotom could use these two moves. Shadow Ball actually helps by actually hitting Rotom - a problem for the team since nothing can really take it down. It hits through SubCharge beam versions. Pain Plit is unreliable but you can slip it on the final slot just incase its needed. Although Reflect could go there if you're afraid of wow's shaky accuracy. overall gl.
Wish CM Jirachi is a shakier answer to defensive Rotom due to Will-o-Wisp and yeah. But I am trying Wish over Thunder Wave on Blissey.

Although Rotom should have no problem staying healthy with a combination of Pain Split and Wish support, Rotom serves as a sleep absorber (and status in general) and we lose that if we drop resttalk.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Heh I made a team with 5/6 of the same members, nice :P But yeah really solid team! Only thing is troubles with Dragon Dancing Tyranitar. Swampert is an awesome counter to it, but it checks a fair bit on this team and will get worn down. I know you're not meant to say if pokemon x is weakened y will sweep, but its not hard to forsee Swampert getting worn down in this place, so definitely try Wish Bliss. Anyway sweet team :) gonna test the CMrachi on my own variant of the team that we somehow independently came up with :P.

I agree with some of the statements above in terms of changing your Bliss to a Wish Variant......deciding on whether you want to use the whole WishBliss set is entirely up to you (wish, protect, toxic, flamethrower) or just replace twave with wish. Also I like the suggestion of replacing Rachi with Scarf Tyranitar since it gives you both a counter to Luke and DD Tyranitar, as well as activates sandstorm, which in itself can help stall, and half your team resists it, while two others use lefties to make up for the hp loss. I dont like the fact that Swampert is a pain for your team to take down, and you lack any type of grass move......which is why I'd suggest you run a Double Status Rotom-C here.

Rotom-C Modest Leftovers
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
-Discharge
-WillOWisp
-Leaf Storm
-Shadow Ball

Just a few suggestions for you to consider.

This is a solid team as it is, but there is one idea that I have never seen used that I think you should consider: CharmBliss.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
252 Def / 4 SpAtk / 252 SpDef
Bold Nature

Softboiled/Wish
Charm
Light Screen/Softboiled/Seismic Toss
Ice Beam/Seismic Toss

It isn't an attack-minded set, but this isn't an attack-minded team either :)

I argue that this charmbliss is a much better way to abuse the entry hazards you're setting up because it allows you to basically neuter any physically-minded switchin (excepting things like metagross and rarer things like hyper cutter gliscor). You can stay in without fear on a lot of things and spam charm while using either wish or softboiled to heal yourself. Since you want to also support your teammates, using wish is actually a relatively safe option since even attacks like 252 atk Naive Salamence's LO Outrage at a -2 does only 43% max (just to give an example of one of the most powerful physical attacks in the metagame). The moment a special attacker comes in, you can light screen and continue to heal yourself/give wish support to a resisted hit. As a bonus, it'll greatly weaken any switch-in that hopes to explode on you or surprise you with a physical hit, weakening their explosions to the point where they won't KO (even 4 atk azelf's explosion doesn't ohko if Blissey is at full health). Best of all, trick doesn't stop you from forcing switches since charm will definitely still force the opponent to switch a couple times.

I listed the original attacks in the smogon analysis first, but you could easily fit seismic toss and ice beam in to fit your specific needs. I'd recommend softboiled/wish/charm/ice beam to deal with taunting gliscor (who in particular would cause the set problems) as well as the dragons. You could also run light screen over a recovery move to help you deal with special attackers like LOtran, gengar, and latias.

The drawback for me of Charm is that I can't have both Seismic Toss and Ice Beam on the same set if I use Wish and Softboiled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)