Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion Thread

Yeah, I've tried Charizard. He's really good at Boss Battles, but I'm not used to him, so I get slaughtered. I only killed 6 with him on intense, but I somehow almost killed tabuu with LINK of all people until I screwed up again and mistimed a spotdodge when Tabuu used the Red Rings of Death. I'm trying to clear it with Marth currently, but I'm having trouble with Rayquaza for some reason.

Real men don't use MK. Why do you think Ally keeps kicking M2K's ass?

I havnt used charizard (or pokemon trainer at all) in boss battles. Something to try out. I normally use toon link lol

Kirby is who I've been trying it with. His aerial Side+B takes out a large chunk of health with each hit, plus he has a similar gimp on Porky with his Down+B like you can do on the edge of the Pictochat stage to take him out in a manner of seconds. I think I'll try out Charizard next time, though, see if he's easier to fight with.

Charizard is much better, Rock Smash does lots of damage. Kirby is good because he's small and hard to hit though. Kirby's my second, so I've actually gone pretty far with him.

BTW, MagicMaster87, how good are you at Brawl? I've only got 3 people on my friend roster, all of whom suck, so I need a better player to practice against. Can you add me?

Actually, is ANYONE here good and have a good connection?

I'm not terrible, but I'm not tourney-level, either. Feel free to add me if you wish.

There's a Brawl social group (click the Community tab at the top of the page, then Social Groups), as well as an IRC chatroom, #smash, although to be honest not much actual Brawling goes on in there. >_> You can find much better players there, though.

I'm not tourney level either. I know the terms and can perform some of them, but I'm not tourney level. And I joined the Smash thing a couple of days ago.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I finished beating 100-man brawls with all characters. It honestly wasn't that hard, it only took me about 3 days. You just need patience, because you can get fucked over in that event so easily.

I also just beat Boss Battles on Hard. All I have left is BB on Very Hard/Intense, and All-Star on Very Hard/Intense. Still haven't used any golden hammers, don't plan on it. Also, I got hit by Tabuu's first red ring of death and somehow DIDN'T die. It defies all logic, I got tossed off the stage but somehow the other two rings missed me. Ridiculous, but I'll take it.

Actually I've hit Bowser with the Baseball Bat, and he didn't die. He was a 0% damage, but I still think it was a glitch...

Can anyone here teach me the advanced SSBB techniques? I've got down the basics, but I've noticed that as of late, I'm not improving at all. Considering I play 3+ hours a day, that's fairly distressing :(

I thought the RRoD were instant-kills on each hit, like the Baseball Bat?
Only on Intense, and the only way to get past them is a dodge (I haven't tried Super Armor yet, I'll try with Olimar later.) I got over-confident once and tried to hit Tabuu while he was firing the third ring. VERY bad mistake that cost me victory with Kirby.

@Oddish on Fire: Sure, what do you need help with?

Only on Intense, and the only way to get past them is a dodge (I haven't tried Super Armor yet, I'll try with Olimar later.) I got over-confident once and tried to hit Tabuu while he was firing the third ring. VERY bad mistake that cost me victory with Kirby.
I've tried hitting Tabuu immediately after the third shot in easier difficulties, but apparently he's not actually there ON the stage, more like right behind it, sort of like the Pokemon Trainer stands somewhere behind it.

Just so you guys are aware there is a HUGE Melee/Brawl tournament happening this weekend till Monday.

Here's the live stream: http://pound2.vgbootcamp.com/

Today is final Melee singles pools, Melee singles/doubles bracket, and Brawl pools. Tomorrow is Brawl singles/doubles bracket and Melee crews. You guys should check it out :).

Actually, I've found that Fox is pretty good in boss battles. Fair does plenty of damage if you're positioned right, and if all else fails, you can laser camp (this strategy is pretty good against Galleom). I just need to stop fucking up every time I get to Porky. My highest score on intense is 4, I believe. Yeah, I suck at boss battles.

Oh, yeah, he has a reflector for Ridley/Meta Ridley/Rayquaza, too.

Edit: ADHD WINS POUND4!!!

I have a feeling Diddy will be going up when the next tier list comes out.

Can anyone here teach me the advanced SSBB techniques? I've got down the basics, but I've noticed that as of late, I'm not improving at all. Considering I play 3+ hours a day, that's fairly distressing :(
I'm not entirely sure you understand the question you're asking.

Whilst how you get better is highly dependent on who you main, learning 'the ATs' is not what you need to be doing. This is true even if your character is very AT dependent. You will want to practice ATs as a part of everything else, but trying to get better by using them and only them is just going to make you worse.

Training to achieve complete technical mastery of smash, and your character, will make you a better player. I assume this is what you meant by 'advanced SSBB techniques.' However, it only does so by giving you more tools. Playing real people is (obviously more) important for specific match-up experience, and general playing experience (knowing how to apply these tools).

When you practice alone you're trying to improve technical proficiency with your character - that's it. You're not going to get instantly better by improving your technical proficiency*, but as you begin to play matches and apply what you have been practicing, you will improve rapidly.

If you are regularly playing players at-or-above your skill level, and the practicing isn't helping, then either you're not practicing right, or you're not playing intelligently. How you practice is highly dependent on you, and highly dependent on your character.

This thread applies to Marth, but you might find it helpful.

*this is more with ATs, attack strings, chain grabs, and advanced movement. Powershielding, teching, and training like that will of course make you instantly better (provided you do it right / consistently).

ahhh, brawl... Ive spent a lot of time playing competetively at tournaments around Washington, but lately i haven't been terribly active. AiB is a great place, but i dont' know, it might be because my friends have gotten a bit better than me, but the expanding of the community kind of ruined it for me. I remember playing hours upon hours of smash in my basement, just with friends, and that's what i love.

oh well, heheh

PT is by far the coolest character in the game, though i just can't keep
from using Wario

Toon link > Link
Captain Falcon> Ganondorf
Fox > Falco > Wolf
Ness = Lucas
Luigi > Mario
Ganondorf > Bowser > King Dedede
I'd really like to hear your reasoning behind this, but you didn't state what their orders were in relation to. If it was coolness, Ganon trumps all.

obv.

It almost makes sense for recovery if you ignore the last set. Idk... It could spark some discussion.

---

On an un-related note I'm almost done clearing every event mission on hard difficulty.

Missions 41, 37, 34, 33, 24, 17, and 7 were the hardest for me. 41 was especially frustrating, and had me trying numerous strategies. I tried Planking with MK and Marth, spacing Z-airs with Link, Nado-spamming with MK, and tilt spamming with Snake. The only real success I had was camping with DDD's F-tilt and B-air.

In the end all I had to do was use Marth's Counter on Giant Mario's attacks. The high damage and knockback instantly knocked Mario out twice, while the hitbox caught Sonic and Snake once each. Without Mario the rest of the match was easy.

Funny that all my advanced scheming was trumped by the dumbest strategy.

/self

The only two single-player challenges left that I'm having trouble with are 22 and 13. Eventually I'll get lucky - .-

I play Pikachu as my main, and I'm starting to play Lucario. I'm also decent with Toon Link. Its tough playing slow-ish and light characters against friends who main Marth and Falco, with their speed and knockback... Its fun to annoy my friend who plays Ganondorf, though. As Sonic would say "HES TOO SLOW". I really have no idea about matchups, I always have trouble one-on-one with Marth and Meta Knight, especially when people spam Mach Tornado. I have lots of fun playing Dedede sometimes, even though I suck with him...

Brawl Minus ftw!

Basically, it's another Brawl hack where every character is deliberately made broken. For instance, Zelda's f- and b-airs reach across half the screen, and if Ganondorf's neutral b hits, it does 666 damage and OHKOs. It's absolutely ridiculous, but it's tons of fun.

I main Pikachu, DK and Ness. Lost my Wii when I moved so I won't be able to play for a while. I'm itching to play though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)