Stuff that's wrong with D/P

Yeah, I really like the game, and I think it's the best Pokemon generation ever, but...I really wish they had made it faster. *sigh* Even with "fast" text speed and animations off, . And there are all the aforementioned pauses, plus stuff like double Intimidate in a 2v2 battle (snore...)

I haven't started surfing much yet, but I'm afraid that may be annoying too (I hated the mud by the way, and will probably hate the snow :P).

I guess random encounter rate has been normal/medium high for me so far...I suppose I will finally have to invest in repels or maybe try a stunky with that repelling item (I doubt it works as well though).

I just wish move selection/whatever battles could be a ton faster. I have no idea why HP creeps so slowly when you have high HP. ;_;

>> Fog is fucking annoying, I had to keep Aerial Ace on my Staraptor just for that.

>> Cave encounter like around 1 Pokemon per 4 or 5 step, with the same Pokemon.

>> Even though catching Palkia/Dialga are really easy, other legendaries raise hell for me.

>> Surfing is as fast as walking. What the fuck.

I'm fanboy enough to consider this a 10/10 in spite of its flaws and the clear best since R/B/Y/FR/LG (none of that going back and forth between the same 3-4 towns for five hours from G/S/C, for example, none of the stupidly massive expanses of ocean from R/S/E), but nonetheless...

-Still no option to have all text appear at once instead of scrolling. The fast option isn't fast enough.

-Still no option to have the health bars drop immediately. Or even just by percentage instead of the hard number. Getting rid of Blissey, Drifblim, etc. takes too long to watch.

-Encounter rate doesn't seem higher to me, but that's irrelevant because even the Advance games were too much. There's never a time where I don't have 25+ Super Repels on me. (Super Repels being a lot cheaper than Max Repels, and only lasting 50 steps less.)

-Surfing is too slow.

-Level 1 Pokemon are not a problem to me. Level 1 Pokemon and no Emerald breeder, though, that kind of sucks. Usually I just slap some Exp. Shares on and head to Route 213 to fight the Tuber kid and his three level 51-53 Gastrodons, but I shouldn't have to. I have 353 Rare Candies, earned legit via Pick Up and 13 runs through the combined GBA/DS games. Let me use multiples in one shot.

-I'm torn on the convention change for capitalization. On the one hand, items, moves, trainer names, Pokemon nicknames, etc. look nicer with normal capitalization. On the other, even if it wasn't necessarily pretty before, at least it was consistent before--and now it isn't. Everything has normal capitalization except the Pokemon names. I'm taking a maybe not-so-wild guess that those are still all-caps because they were copyrighted that way, but still. And besides the Pokemon names, the menus are also in all caps, the Pal Pad looks especially strange since two of the options are in all caps while the third has your name done normally and then caps from there--and, well, you get the point.

-There was one thing Colosseum did very right in terms of gameplay, and that was letting you start again from the level you lost at in Mt. Battle. This needs to be implemented in the normal games' Battle Tower. The items you can win are great, but buying anything is too tedious as-is, since you're bound to lose eventually by criticals or OHKO hax or Double Team or whatever.

-R should be a second item toggle. (And L could be an option, for that matter, although I'd still keep L=A on.) The Bicycle and VS Seeker are the only two key items I usually use, and it'd be nice to never have to dip into that menu for a single item.

-Speaking of the bike, why do they make you get off of it at the checkpoint buildings between cities? Or why even have those checkpoints to begin with? If they didn't, I wouldn't have the above complaint, because I'd only need to get on my bike exactly once every time I exit a Pokemon center.

-No buying 5000 coins, even though some TMs cost upwards of 10000.

-No more PC item storage. It's annoying scrolling through a list of 55-60 hold items to get to the one I want, and the only other real option is to stick them all on Pokemon in the box and move them around that way--which is also annoying.

-Cutting Recover to 10 PP. Okay, yes, R/S/E had to be reactionary against the stalliness of G/S/C, but how far did they really have to go to nerf the idea of playing defense in D/P? Having so many more offensive items, and improving the old ones, already served that purpose...

That's about all I can think of for now. Lots of nitpicks, but eh. I tear down because I love.

-No more PC item storage. It's annoying scrolling through a list of 55-60 hold items to get to the one I want, and the only other real option is to stick them all on Pokemon in the box and move them around that way--which is also annoying.
AUGH YES. I'm somewhat OCD and not being able to keep a nice, neat, tidy, concise inventory is bugging the crap out of me. Having to scroll through them takes forever and its hard to find the items you are looking for. I try to keep all the Held items at the top of the list, but whenever you equip and then unequip them they go back to the bottom, requiring me to reorganize my inventory.

Um for the people complaning about slow text speed... You cant just hit B when your done setting your options. You have to hit "Confirm." My text speeds go by super fast. And after text delays, I mash A on [SIZE=-1]dialogue[/SIZE] so I dont notice one~

Um for the people complaning about slow text speed... You cant just hit B when your done setting your options. You have to hit "Confirm." My text speeds go by super fast. And after text delays, I mash A on [SIZE=-1]dialogue[/SIZE] so I dont notice one~
In a forum full of people who have been playing Pokemon since probably RBY, you think we don't know how to confirm something in a menu? God damn man.

I agree with all the sentiments of how slow the game is. Battle Frontier in particular is annoying. It takes 21 battles to get anything worthwhile at a few hours each time.

Also, DT and OHKO hate is coming back. I remember somewhere around 24 I fought a Protect, DoubleTeam, Toxic, Whirlpool Cloyster @Lefties. I did actually win that one but only after PP-stalling it to death after missing 28 times in a row.

>> Fog is fucking annoying, I had to keep Aerial Ace on my Staraptor just for that.
Why didn't you just use Defog?

-R should be a second item toggle. (And L could be an option, for that matter, although I'd still keep L=A on.) The Bicycle and VS Seeker are the only two key items I usually use, and it'd be nice to never have to dip into that menu for a single item.
This has bothered me since R\S. In R\S there was no reason in the 3rd Gen L couldn't have been a second item. D/P is far worse. Not only do they fail to use R, but Start and Select are also similarly unused. Having the Bike, Fishing Pole (or 2), Vs. Seeker, and Watering Pail all shortcutted would have been a HUGE advantage.

I do love the Item Finder's movement to the Poketch. It would be nice if the Poketch itself was a little more user friendly. A way to scroll back would be nice to start with. I'd rather have a screen to pick the app I want and better yet, a way to disable apps that I don't use when scrolling. Also, while I understand the UI is supposed to look like a watch, I'd rather have a better device on the bottom screen. The cellphone-like Pokenav was way better, and would have made the bottom screen both more useful and better looking.

In general, the menus, specifically the quality of the touch screen UIs is wildly inconsistent. There's quite a few things that could have allowed me to adjust things without going to a "pause menu". Why Nintendo is determined to cover the second screen in generic filler rather than something useful, and force people to pause the game to manage inventory (a problem more infuriating in Animal Crossing: Wild World than anything else) is something I've yet to fully understand. There's so much room to streamline the game and make it feel like a progressive design, but instead it falls back on last gen menu logic. Why I can't simply pick an attack without selecting "Fight" first is beyond my reason.

That said, it's still my favorite Pokemon game from what I've played. There are a ton of really smart design decisions, great new gameplay features, and overall, the story and world feels more cohesive and simply flows better. I definitely think the game flows better than either GS or RS. I've been really thrilled with how the rivals strengthen the world and take part in the story in meaningful ways. Considering the jump in storytelling from R\S to Emerald, I'm very curious to see what they can do with a probable third game.

I noticed the inter-city buildings removing the bike too. That annoyed me as well :s
Oddly enough Rock Climb doesn't remove the Bike. I usually shut it off myself on accident because I always expect it will and hit Y to turn it back on.

I've been playing since blue, and not once have I seen a confirm option for settings... Right after I got my Diamond, I changed my settings like I always do with my pokemon games and was "wtf why is text speed so slow on fast" and then I looked again and there you go. (Because im used to only having to hit B when im done from 3 gens of games.) ANYWAY...

lol slow typing I have... >.>

All I can say is that if a 2 second battle animation delay angers you, you must be a very angry type of person. Seriously, I just hold B down for the slow text, and for the Pokemon/PokeBall animations I just sit there and admire the pixel art.

But the no items storage on your PC is what bugs me =( I have to attach one item at a time to Pokemon in boxes, and then when I want them I have to search though like 200 different Pokes holding items.

All I can say is that if a 2 second battle animation delay angers you, you must be a very angry type of person. Seriously, I just hold B down for the slow text, and for the Pokemon/PokeBall animations I just sit there and admire the pixel art.
Assuming makes an ass of you.

Admiring pixel art is quite possibly the most boring thing I have heard. I have been looking at most of these Pokemon for 9 years now. Half of the advance generation Pokemon sucked, and most of the new generation sucks too. Bidoof looks like a giant pile of ****.

Basically, I play a game to have fun. I enjoy my immediate gratification, I don't want to wait through 40 seconds of combat just to gain 600 exp from OHKOing a Pokemon. Especially if the games I've been playing for the last 9 years have required me to wait through only 20 seconds of combat. Get my drift? Games should become better and more streamlined over time, not slower and clunkier. The speed of the interface has definitely done the latter.

Oh god I hate the slowness. I felt like throwing the ds whenever I tried to run from a golbat with my torterra, I couldn't escape, and it went on to mean look and air cutter me while all I could do was razor leaf >:( That battle took at least 10 minutes, I swear. From then on I started carrying tons of repels, and, like most people, it was the first time I ever had to use them in a pokemon game.

And, yes, I am an angry person by default, so of course I was mad

EDIT: This was probably why it took me 35 hours to beat the game, longer than any other pokemon game I've played (Even gsc which had 16 badges)

1) Slowness... yes, this game is too damn slow, surfing's slow, running through utterly pointless checkpoints in between routes/cities throwing me off my bike, the extremely slow text and pauses even on fast setting... the number of random battles and their animations... this game is utterly SLOW...

2) Repetition... 494 pokemon, and there are like a billion Geodudes, Tentacools, and Zubats, 2/3 using an annoyingly high success-rate Confuse Ray... C'MON!!!

3) Poorly designed/Worthless freaking pokemon... some of these things are just so poorly made, they're either destined to be filed away under "I got one to complete the pokedex", to just plain stupidness.... not even to advance a storyline or ANYTHING, just plain pointless...

*Personal Pet Peeve* Toxicroak is one of my 4th Gen faves... why a freaking FIGHTING FROG doesn't get Hi Jump Kick and the extremely whored out Aerial Ace is just plain garbage. And honestly, why must his Ability have a downside? I take solace in him at least being an excellent HM bitch... which brings me to:

4) HM's SUCK - They've sucked since R/B/Y, hasn't GameFreak realized this yet?... 8 freaking moves out of a possible 24 moveslot group wouldn't be so bad if they didn't SUCK so badly... at least the Move Deleter can remove them.

5) Trading/Battling... Random trades with the only control being gender... and no way to filter out people wanting to trade me their Skorupi for a level 100 Dialga...

but no random battling... as if Battle Revolution would have lost sales with it included.........

The catch rate is Ridiculously low to the point where Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf have me chucking Ultra and Dusk Balls triyng to catch them.

Also this is the only gen where I need repel as almost mandatory in my bag but I did notice that if you go through one patch of grass and nothing comes out 3 or 4 are coming out on the next.

The E4 was to weak in my opinion I only used 3 pokes and they were all underleveled and I managed just fine with Hyper Potions in between. The champion was the only real challenge though.

The text takes way to long there is no need to take 3 minutes to get rid of Blissey's HP.

The time based events also piss me off. How in the hell am I supposed to remember what city i need to be in at 2 am to get the Choice Specs

The game is good but this stuff just pisses me off

2) Repetition... 494 pokemon, and there are like a billion Geodudes, Tentacools, and Zubats, 2/3 using an annoyingly high success-rate Confuse Ray... C'MON!!!

Tradition. After three generations of plaguing trainers with them, GameFreak figured why not a fourth?

3) Poorly designed/Worthless freaking pokemon... some of these things are just so poorly made, they're either destined to be filed away under "I got one to complete the pokedex", to just plain stupidness.... not even to advance a storyline or ANYTHING, just plain pointless...

Traditio once again. Rapidash/Arcanine in RBY (finally differentiated in DP). Really, you should expect this.

4) HM's SUCK - They've sucked since R/B/Y, hasn't GameFreak realized this yet?... 8 freaking moves out of a possible 24 moveslot group wouldn't be so bad if they didn't SUCK so badly... at least the Move Deleter can remove them.[

Surf doesn't suck, it's every water-type's staple move. But besides that yah, in RSE I memorized how to get to Steven in the second gym city without using Flash so I wouldn't waste the moveslot. The fact that Victory Road required it was so annoying.

Assuming makes an ass of you.

Admiring pixel art is quite possibly the most boring thing I have heard. I have been looking at most of these Pokemon for 9 years now. Half of the advance generation Pokemon sucked, and most of the new generation sucks too. Bidoof looks like a giant pile of ****.

Basically, I play a game to have fun. I enjoy my immediate gratification, I don't want to wait through 40 seconds of combat just to gain 600 exp from OHKOing a Pokemon. Especially if the games I've been playing for the last 9 years have required me to wait through only 20 seconds of combat. Get my drift? Games should become better and more streamlined over time, not slower and clunkier. The speed of the interface has definitely done the latter.

When I say pixel art, I mean the quality and overall art/pose it's in. I don't really care how many have seen Skarmory thoughout 6 years, you NEVER saw it as pretty as it's sprite is now. If you would ask any normal artist to recreate something like Milotic's sprite in a different pose, chances are they would say they couldn't. And that's just sprites. The 3D look to the overworld I know you never seen before in a handheld Pokemon game, so that provides something else to look at. Granted, Bidoof may look goofy (!), but at the very least it has nice quality. Much nicer then those pixelly R/B/Y/G/S/C sprites, and those boring R/S/FR/LG/E spirites.

Also, if the text were super-fast, I can tell you know the game would be MUCH more boring then fun. Take a moment to smell the roses, as in this case, we won't be getting completely new roses for a few years.

It just makes me sad that we finally get the games we've been anticipating for a few years now finally come out and people complain about things as trivial as slow text that can be fixed with the simple holding down of the B button.

5) Trading/Battling... Random trades with the only control being gender... and no way to filter out people wanting to trade me their Skorupi for a level 100 Dialga...
Sounds like somebody hasn't tried out the Global Trading Center yet. When you put a Pokemon up for offer, you choose WHICH POKEMON you want for it, which gender you want that Pokemon to have (optional), and around what level you want that to be (optional). It's quite convienient, actually.

No offense, but...

It just makes me sad that we finally get the games we've been anticipating for a few years now finally come out and people complain about things as trivial as slow text that can be fixed with the simple holding down of the B button.
I believe the issue is that the text, even with the fast option and/or B held down, is still rather slow/too slow (and there are other delays than just text).

Sounds like somebody hasn't tried out the Global Trading Center yet. When you put a Pokemon up for offer, you choose WHICH POKEMON you want for it, which gender you want that Pokemon to have (optional), and around what level you want that to be (optional). It's quite convienient, actually.
Actually, I believe what he meant (matching with my experience) is that he DID try out the GTS, and requested a specific pokemon. Unfortunately, the few matches you get often are people wanting a L100 palkia/dialga (lololol) in return. I wish there was a way to filter the level or maybe even the type of pokemon people were asking for in RETURN, when you search the GTS.

No offense, but...

I believe the issue is that the text, even with the fast option and/or B held down, is still rather slow/too slow (and there are other delays than just text).

Actually, I believe what he meant (matching with my experience) is that he DID try out the GTS, and requested a specific pokemon. Unfortunately, the few matches you get often are people wanting a L100 palkia/dialga (lololol) in return. I wish there was a way to filter the level or maybe even the type of pokemon people were asking for in RETURN, when you search the GTS.

I really think that we should focus on how much better the game got, and be grateful, you damn ingrates.

On that note, lets look at the bad: WTF Surf? It took me almost 2 minutes to get to Uxie with all those damn encounters and the Surfing speed.

For me, the text speed is fine, but when everything you have OHKOs or 2HKOs everything, you can see why. Mixed Special Attacking Gengar hits fucking everything SE and everything it doesn't isn't good or is beaten down so hard by Shadow Ball.

Staraptor is the most broken shit I've ever used. Brave Bird OHKOs everything, Double Edge OHKOs everything, Close Combat OHKOs everything, and U-Turn switches you out of the bastards that can survive your attacks. It also outspeeds just about everything and has Intimidate? C'mon GF.

Any alternative terrain that slows you down will piss you the fuck off.

I know there are more, but I'm too busy destroying the battle tower with my Mixed Sweeping Lucario, DDragonite, and Devigar to really dwell on what's bad.

The catch rate is Ridiculously low to the point where Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf have me chucking Ultra and Dusk Balls triyng to catch them.
How easy are Legends supposed to be to catch, anyway? Yeesh.

Also this is the only gen where I need repel as almost mandatory in my bag but I did notice that if you go through one patch of grass and nothing comes out 3 or 4 are coming out on the next.
I've always been a repel whore, but I too have noticed the upsurge of random encounters. It's like freaking Skies of Arcadia.

The E4 was to weak in my opinion I only used 3 pokes and they were all underleveled and I managed just fine with Hyper Potions in between. The champion was the only real challenge though.

The text takes way to long there is no need to take 3 minutes to get rid of Blissey's HP.

The time based events also piss me off. How in the hell am I supposed to remember what city i need to be in at 2 am to get the Choice Specs
Choice Specs are from 4am – 10am; is it that hard to wake up before 10 in the morning?

The game is good but this stuff just pisses me off

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm playing my Pearl right now, and the battle text doesn't look like so slow, neither the dialogues. Actually, I stop to read them, lol.

And yes, Surf is GODDAMN SLOW WTF.

the text is just too slow. why couldn't they keep it the same speed as RSE? movement speed is slow too outside running/bike

that's my only complaint so far. everything else is comparable to previous gens (even repel use. i got used to that in RSE)

My problem is if I wanted a "Modest" or "Timid" Psyduck, or a shiny Tentacool, or a Pokemon with a specific bred move or ability... that's going to require a LOT more active searching outside of the GTS.

And my bigger issue with the GTS is the small look at what's available. I wanted a Shieldon (since I already dug up a couple Cranidos) and searching for a Shieldon I got 5 results.

Trainer 1 - Level 100 Dialgia
Trainer 2 - Level 40+ Palkia
Trainer 3 - Level 100 Empoleon
Trainer 4 - Level 9 and under Female Lucario
Trainer 5 - any Garchomp

Granted, I put up my Cranidos and got a Shieldon within about 24 hours (is there a way to know when the GTS made a successful trade, a Poketch App, maybe?...) but a little better filtering system would go a looong way.

* New gripe because it happened this morning... if you have a WiFi communication error while a traded pokemon is evolving, it stops evolving... stupid Kadabra.

Ok, yet another gripe, but on something new that I actually like:

The Poketch - great idea - poorly implemented.

Graphically, it's overly dumbed down.... the puke green shaded screen is just terrible to look at, in a world where you can capture animals in capsules and warp them around the world... you'd think the LCD technology of the Sinnoh region would be a bit more advanced than a TRS-80.

Functionally, it needed ONE thing to compete for one of the best additions to D/P... a MENU Poketch App! Scrolling through wasn't a big deal at first, but now with almost a dozen apps, it gets quite annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)